DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 512
2 members and 510 guests
davidcycle, GRN96WS6
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Server 2008 R2 CORE
Unread
  (#1)
Site ADMIN

Server 2008 R2 CORE - May 16, 2012, 02:34 PM

ZOMG, powershell command line only.. head...going...to...explode...windows installed but no windows....

no GUI...

powershell googling...fingers...hurt...

and im spent!

/geek thread rant.

This post was prepared as a service to the DCSportbikes.net community. Neither the DCSportbikes.net ADMINS nor any of the moderators, makes any warranty, expressed or implied, or assumes any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information, product, link, or process disclosed, or represents that its use would not infringe privately owned rights. Reference herein to any specific commercial products, process, or service by trade name, trademark manufacturer, or otherwise, does not necessarily constitute or imply its endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by DCSportbikes.net. The opinions of this author expressed herein do not necessarily state or reflect those of the DCSportbikes.net community, and shall not be used for advertising or product endorsement purposes.
__________________________________________________ ________

Alex
13 Honda Fury
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to spud Send a message via MSN to spud  
Unread
  (#2)
Site ADMIN

May 16, 2012, 02:36 PM

Puke.....

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image-2156103082.jpg (246.5 KB, 39 views)

This post was prepared as a service to the DCSportbikes.net community. Neither the DCSportbikes.net ADMINS nor any of the moderators, makes any warranty, expressed or implied, or assumes any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information, product, link, or process disclosed, or represents that its use would not infringe privately owned rights. Reference herein to any specific commercial products, process, or service by trade name, trademark manufacturer, or otherwise, does not necessarily constitute or imply its endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by DCSportbikes.net. The opinions of this author expressed herein do not necessarily state or reflect those of the DCSportbikes.net community, and shall not be used for advertising or product endorsement purposes.

Alex
13 Honda Fury

Last edited by spud; May 16, 2012 at 02:38 PM..
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to spud Send a message via MSN to spud  
Unread
  (#3)
Instructor

May 16, 2012, 03:16 PM

haha- that's how I setup a whole rack of dev/test/production servers so one of our admins wouldn't/couldn't fuck with it. Some nitwit decided that everything that we do should run through one set of admins for the whole subsidiary. This was my answer after getting railroaded for locking him out of the system. Command line only ftw!

Stupidity is an elemental force, and I respect that. ATGATT
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#4)
Ton Up!

May 16, 2012, 03:44 PM

Haha, clicking is for monkeys!

~Justin

FREE FITZ!!!!

1999 Suzuki SV650
1982 Kawasaki GPz550 : RIP 4/16/09
1971 Honda CB450 : SOLD!
Unread
  (#5)
Site ADMIN

May 16, 2012, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by storysunfolding
haha- that's how I setup a whole rack of dev/test/production servers so one of our admins wouldn't/couldn't fuck with it. Some nitwit decided that everything that we do should run through one set of admins for the whole subsidiary. This was my answer after getting railroaded for locking him out of the system. Command line only ftw!
I'm secretly turning it into job security. Lol

But I like your reason better.

What are your thoughts on using it? Security. Patching. Faster. Etc

Alex
13 Honda Fury
Unread
  (#6)
Instructor

May 16, 2012, 05:49 PM

Security is all in how you set it up. For instance I didn't secure our exchange server but I CAN read the CEOs email. I can also spoof any address from the server. I like emailing random team members with famous presidents names (alincoln, jmonroe, tjefferson)

I'm a programmer so command lines are a natural extension of my life. I occasionally need to look something up, but that's not any different than the GUI. So no real change for me.

Patching is easy since we keep great lab notes.

Speed is a little better, so is stability but not enough to justify as the means for the core setup. Just like you most people arnt comfy with it and i only serve as an admin when im forced to. Not to mention if speed/stability was your focus, why use windows?

Unread
  (#7)
Site ADMIN

May 16, 2012, 05:52 PM

Ok that's good to know. Not sure if the pia is worth it.

Alex
13 Honda Fury
Unread
  (#8)
Instructor

May 16, 2012, 06:48 PM

If nothing else it impresses people that don't know any better. In my experience, that's about 95% of the population. There has to be a pay raise or job security in there somewhere.

Unread
  (#9)
GP Racer

May 16, 2012, 08:53 PM

Still not RHEL/CENTOS

Yamaha FZ8
Husqvarna TE310R ---
Unread
  (#10)
SRWJTS SGT-At-Arms

May 16, 2012, 08:59 PM

Yeah, if you want better performance etc etc by ditching a GUI, i'd say some *nix flavor is a better choice.

-Fitz

2016 Harley Softail Slim S
2012 Harley Ultra Limited in Ultra Annoying Orange Sold!
2012 V-Strom 1000 Sold!
2009 Buell 1125R Sold!
2005 Superhawk Sold!
2001 Superhawk Abandoned!
1981 CB650C Destroyed!

Brace Yourselves... the cries of "It's too cold to ride" are coming...
Unread
  (#11)
Site ADMIN

May 16, 2012, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz
Yeah, if you want better performance etc etc by ditching a GUI, i'd say some *nix flavor is a better choice.
Then I won't have a job. Lol

Most of the back end stuff is rhl.

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

Alex
13 Honda Fury
Unread
  (#12)
TEAM.SUKUZI

May 16, 2012, 10:08 PM

windows is yuk!

sex addict