DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 635
3 members and 632 guests
GRN96WS6, Nobrains, Scot
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Unread
  (#1)
BE ENCOURAGED!

August 6, 2005, 10:29 PM

********This is not Bike related, so don't read this if that matters to you******

This has been all over the national news stations this week, but for those of you unaware of it, The city of Denver passed a law in 1998 to ban all Pit Bulls from that city. Finding this illegal profiling, and unconstitutional, the state of Colorado sued the city of Denver and a temporary stay was issued. Recently a judge ruled that the law was fine and the round up and mass killing of Pit bulls, many family pets, has begun. Yes...In America. The same country that is fighting a war in foreign lands to teach people about FREEDOM!

Why am I so outraged? Here's why..... Statistics show, Pit bulls, Rottweilers, and German Shepards to be animals of high risk & danger. Niave politicitions read these biased reports and have taken this too far!! I have two of the most Beautiful German Shepards that have never harmed anybody. Many of you have met and played with them. (They even liked Boomchic, and she has a German Shepard Phobia). Should we kill them because a report says that they are one of the top 3 most dangerous breed of dog? Please. My dogs are highly trained. They have been to two different schools.

The point I am trying to make here is this: All to often the elected officials that we put in office are NOT doing what the public asks of them. The recent Terri Schiebel case should have opened our eyes to that. So if you don't think things like this can happen to you....You may just be wrong.

Please stay in touch folks. Please get involved. Please VOTE! It makes a HUGE difference.

Ever read Fahrenheit 451 ?

It isn't such a strange impossiblity anymore.......is it?

Here is an article from a Denver paper:

It has to be one of the dumbest laws, ever. And I don't even own or like pit bulls. It's nothing personal, only that I'd never keep any animal that eats as much or more than I do.

Still, I can weep for the pit bulls of Denver, particularly for the puppies that never did anything other than get born into the breed.

Yet here we have the city of Denver, newly sprung from legislative and judicial restraint, rounding up pits over the past couple of days and killing them like rats during The Plague.

A uniformed officer arrives at a home. "I'll get him," she announces to her partner. Rather than fight it all, a distraught man emerges, weighs going to jail and a fine, and in the end hands over his dog.

"I'm definitely sad," he later tells a reporter. "He's like a member of my family."

Later in the day, a woman pleads: "I don't have no dogs!

"There ain't no dogs in the basement!" she yells as the uniformed man and woman, responding to an informant's report of a pit bull, interrogate her. Outside, squad cars filled with police officers wait to see if they are needed.

"I'm just doing my job," the woman officer later laments.

It has been eight years since I last had a dog, God rest him. And the one thing I truly know is I would have never given him over to the dogcatcher to be killed simply because he was a beagle.

I would hardly care if a judge in the city where I lived said it was the rule and the law. Yet this has been happening since Monday in Denver, when a state law prohibiting bans of "breed-specific" dogs was overturned and the city's moratorium on pit bull confiscation and killing was lifted.

And no one much is saying a thing.

It is why we need to speak with William Suro. He is a veterinarian of 45 years, who in 1988 started the MaxFund, a nonprofit that provides medical care for injured animals with no known owners, which seeks new homes for them.

It is a shelter that has never killed a single dog.

Bill Suro, 69, for years has wrangled with Denver in the courts of legal and public opinion over the ban, passed in the wake of the pit bull killing of a young child.

"Unfair. Stupid," Bill Suro says of this week's roundup. "It remains an emotional response to a terrible thing that happened, but one that doesn't really help those hurt or killed by vicious dogs."

Bill Suro is a blunt-spoken and uncompromising defender of animals, and a man who believes in harsh punishment for those who abuse and kill them.

He has in recent hours counseled numerous terrier owners, given the shock of their lives simply because their pets resemble pits and were threatened with euthanasia. Denver animal control authorities acknowledge receiving and being sent on numerous "could be a pit bull" calls.

"It makes me and every animal lover and organization across this country just sick," he said. "It's crazy."

He and his wife, Nanci, over the past few months have emptied MaxFund of every pit bull they once housed, shipping them to like-minded shelters outside of Denver.

He puts the number at close to 20 pit bulls. Some owners, too, have come to MaxFund, only to be turned away. He and Nanci, he said, have done all they could.

"We would absolutely love to be the Underground Railroad for pit bulls, but we know the city would close us down."

Yes, I tell him, but aren't pit bulls actually the human flesh-ripping monsters they are portrayed to be?

Bill Suro snickers at my naivete.

"I've been a veterinarian for 45 years, and I've never once been attacked or bitten by a pit bull. There are other breeds where I have gone into an examination room and really been on my guard. I will not tell you which, but they scare me."

Cities like Denver, he says, whip up pit bull hysteria. And that is all it is, he said. People now all believe every pit bull "is a coiled and snarling attacker. It's nonsense."

Cities, he said, would be much better served if they took a simple look at canine attacks from recent years.

"Eighty percent all fatal attacks in the U.S. are caused by male dogs. I guess, given this, it would be prudent to now ban all breeds of male dogs."

Denver, he said, does not at the same time send dogcatchers to cite owners of non-neutered dogs,

"It should know there have been fatal attacks in the U.S. by Pomeranians, that half a dozen attacks that caused death or serious injuries were by cocker spaniels."

And then he raises an issue I had not contemplated, and which I do not lend much credence to. But I will give him his say because it matches what has happened the last two days in the city:

"There appears a racial end of this," Bill Suro says.

"Look at the dogs that have been impounded, and the surnames of their owners. . . . They aren't killing dogs from Cherry Creek. They pick on the easiest people to pick on, the ones who give up easiest," he said, adding that he has forwarded this claim to the American Civil Liberties Union.

What happens, I ask, when all of the Denver pit bulls have been rounded up and put down?

He would not want to be a Malamute, he said.

A male Malamute attacked and killed a 7-year-old girl in Fruita last Saturday night.

"It is not the breed," an unsmiling Bill Suro said.

Thank You for taking the time to read this and letting me vent!!

I will get off of my soapbox now

FOREVER #47 "Walking In The Echo...."
Are you a 'Secret Believer"? Do you Conceal your faith from your family, friends and co-workers? Isn't it about time to step out of hiding and let others know whom you follow?
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to GUZZ Send a message via Skype™ to GUZZ 
Unread
  (#2)
Silence... I keeeel you

August 6, 2005, 11:14 PM

Thats fucked up. It's not the dog it's the owner. Lots of cagers have killed people..lets round them up and kill them. It makes me sick and angry as well. It's like I always say "love my country...ashamed of my government"

Then again... That's just me.

On the internet... Everyone is an expert.

And now...The dancing Banana:
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
Licensed Rider

August 6, 2005, 11:44 PM

What kind of fu$%&!g communist country are we living in?? I love my country too but WTF! Just because some wacko trains his dog to tear another dog apart and gets a ring going, some beaurocrat gets a law passed to come into a house during dinner in front of kids and take away a family pet that has done no wrong. Some woman sues McDonalds because she burnt her mouth on HOT coffee she knew was hot. When a kid pulls a trigger on another kid lets take away the gun, when a drunk hits a pedestrian why don't we ban the cars cuz it isn't the guns fault, or the car's fault, or the dog's fault. This sh@% needs to stop, there should be a law against these ridiculous suits filed in court, a waste of time and taxpayers money. A pure-bred pitbul has got to be one of the most affectionate dogs I've been around, very cool dogs. If they can do this crap now, who knows what will happen in time. Here's an idea...seeing it's illegal for people under 18 to smoke, lets make a law that pregnant women aren't allowed to smoke...makes sense. Good thread, I needed to vent also.
Unread
  (#4)
DC Chapter

August 7, 2005, 01:00 AM

that's just ass. My brother was stationed at Rammstein and raised two great rotties, Cain and Khan, but couldn't bring them stateside over a shitty law just like this. Sorry for your pain, man!

"And to those who find me abrasive...it's you that's deranged" - Tourniquet

MC: Lou-Evil Psycles

Ink: Chrome Gardens Tattoos

Bands:
Division - www.division-usa.com
www.myspace.com/divisionusa
JWP - www.myspace.com/justwannaplay
Suckerpunch - www.getpunched.com

More of me - www.myspace.com/divisionnick
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Catwalk  
Unread
  (#5)
Retired to most ...

August 7, 2005, 01:01 AM

Ok this is some serious bullshit!! I have personaly owned a pitbull and SEVERAL German Shepards and NEVER have any of my dogs attacked another dog or a human being before. I find this type of legisaltion nothing more then a closed minded approach to a problem that does NOT rest with these dogs but with some of their so called owners. I've currently got a Siberian Huskey that some of you have met before. She would rather run from a confrontation then be any where near one. Does this mean that because my dog has the looks of a wolf she should be put down for fear she might act like a wolf?? Sounds pretty stupid doesn't it? So does this new legislation as far as I'm concerned. This type of thing PISSES me off to no end because I feel the owners should be held responsible for the actions of their dog. COMPLETE BULLSHIT, thats all this is!

God Speed Jeff! You'll never be forgotten.

BOOSTZX3 : in all seriousness head injuries ain't no joke. I've had around 10 concussions and now I ride a Buell Don't let it happen to you!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to JohnnySpeed1KRR  
Unread
  (#6)
Officially Addicted to Posting

August 7, 2005, 03:21 AM

Fuck that! If I had a Pit and they came to my house to kill it, they'd have to throw me in jail first. I'd sit there in jail and let them suffer the political backlash of such a ridiculous policy. I haven't read the law, but if it is what that article implies, that ain't right!

Found a petition that you can sign.

http://www.PetitionOnline.com/savepits/petition.html
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to rddy  
Unread
  (#7)
Addicted to farm animals

August 7, 2005, 11:26 AM

I have 2 boxer-pit mixed pups and they are gentle. If anyone tried to harm my dogs they would get a good old country boy ass whoop'n. Some people are so fucking retarded when it comes to animals. Another point-in-case that the anus headed people look at numbers and statistics instead of the problem. If people raise dogs to be mean then they will. Go after the owners not the dumb animals.

Done with my anger management tactic. Hell it worked. Now I will go over and hug my pups.

Ride Hard or Put it Away. Trickn is life.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to TricknR1  
Unread
  (#8)
Silence... I keeeel you

August 7, 2005, 11:30 AM

Good job Rddy. I signed the petition. Breedism is like racism.

Then again... That's just me.

On the internet... Everyone is an expert.

And now...The dancing Banana:
Unread
  (#9)
GP Racer

August 7, 2005, 12:13 PM

You guys have probably never seen the other side. In Rochester where I grew up I hung out ont he other side of the fence. People I knew and who lived next to my friends bred pits to fight and fight only. These dogs were plain viscous, i remember they would have them swinging from branches beating the shit out of them so they would not release. It's crazy what people do to loving animals, but these dogs were so far beyond redemption it was crazy.

So to cut it short, these people that have loving animals are paying the price for what goes on in cities where people fight these breeds. It sucks, and I am sure they are doing this so they can not be sued by people that have these dogs that fight. You know the whole why are you taking my dog when Joe Blow in the suburb can own his, if you are going to pass a law it can not discriminate. The real legislation needs to be pointed at the people that fight dogs and make penelties much stiffer.

I am a dog lover for sure. I remember when I had to give up my Neo Mastiff as when I moved down here she was on the "List" at my old apt. complex. It sucked, she was the most loving dog you could find and every apt. complex I went to had this "List". So I had to give her away, plus an apt is not the best place for a 140lb dog, she now lives on 10acres so it worked out for her. I later got a dog not on the "List" a boxer and love her to death.

Also, politicians are not the smartest people in the world. Bush has gotten a large conservitive bunch in with him and if you think it is bad now, wait til they over turn Rowe vs. Wade.

Can't choose between the R1 and the 10R so I am keeping both but settled with an 1198S when I came home

Keep it up!!!!!!!
Unread
  (#10)
Inquire photoshoot within

August 7, 2005, 02:30 PM

i like how you think. My brother has a pitbull,sharpey, lab and chow mix all considered "aggresive" breeds but she is been to school and has her dog citizen award and wouldnt hurt a thing.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to MotoBlairF4  
Unread
  (#11)
whats in your drink?

Location: Mineral VA. If you know where it is you can pass go
August 7, 2005, 05:18 PM

WTF These pansiassed Denver liberals have got to be stopped. Congress needs to look into this crap! After all they are gonna drag Palmero across the coals for "maybe" perjury on the stand. I mean come on its 1 friggin guy. Yes I understand hes suposed to be a hero to kids but, hes 1 guy.

This BS is a lot of families. I bet the JEDI dumb ass who pushed this bill doesnt even live in Democrateville.

Was it Herod that ordered the death of every male in the Roman Empire killed because he might be Jesus?

SAME THING

Tell 'em Large Marge sent ya!
X
Take care of new riders, we were them, and they will be us.
Unread
  (#12)
GP Champ

August 7, 2005, 06:36 PM

Well, people can just get a friendlier bread of dog. I don't see Shitszu attacking and seriously hurting people. Pit Bulls have been bread to be aggressive and territorial, and apparently enough of their owners are not responsible enough to keep a tight leash on thier pet. It's their own fault.

You don't beed a cobra to enjoy snakes and true dog lovers will be more than happy with another breed or a mutt.

As far as current owners go, I think they should be allowed to keep their property, but not get more pitbulls.
Unread
  (#13)
whats in your drink?

Location: Mineral VA. If you know where it is you can pass go
August 7, 2005, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witold
Well, people can just get a friendlier bread of dog. I don't see Shitszu attacking and seriously hurting people. Pit Bulls have been bread to be aggressive and territorial, and apparently enough of their owners are not responsible enough to keep a tight leash on thier pet. It's their own fault.

You don't beed a cobra to enjoy snakes and true dog lovers will be more than happy with another breed or a mutt.

As far as current owners go, I think they should be allowed to keep their property, but not get more pitbulls.
I hope Witold meant this as a joke. Shitzus are insane

Guzzs and other DEADLEY DOGS are more likely to lick you to death than anything else.

Oh yeah you frikkin librales out there Guns kill people like spoons made Rosie O Donelle FAT

Tell 'em Large Marge sent ya!
X
Take care of new riders, we were them, and they will be us.
Unread
  (#14)
GP Racer

August 8, 2005, 05:53 AM

Hahhaaha, tell that to a min-pinscher, them f ckers are mean. They think they are 80lbs for real.

Palmiero is a different story altogether. He is a liar and isntead of coming clean he made it seem like all people who use gear cheat. Hahaha, they do, including themself. Granted you still have to put the ball to the bat but these guys have cheated so long that they think they are clean. ANd I am all for liars getting dragged over the coals, in life you have nothing but integrity. Instead of coming clean and explaining that gear is pushed on them from early college to minor leagues, he just wants to be part of the problem not the fix. So be it, I hope he goes down in a ball of flames!!!

Can't choose between the R1 and the 10R so I am keeping both but settled with an 1198S when I came home

Keep it up!!!!!!!
Unread
  (#15)
Brainwash Your Face!

August 8, 2005, 07:42 AM

Fucking sick...

signed the petition.

"Someone should donkey punch that bitch with a waffle iron then upload the video to World Star Hip Hop" ~.Nets Resident Chivalrous Gentlemen Stillie

RIP KATIE RIP BAMBAM RIP VEGA
Gasoline by The Bouncing Souls
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOxc2cM75NI