DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 529
1 members and 528 guests
2blueyam
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Shipping a Car?
Unread
  (#1)
Bling Blang Blaow

Shipping a Car? - February 4, 2010, 12:58 AM

Anyone ever done it? I'm planning on buying a car in NC later this month and need to figure out a way to bring it up here without driving it

2003 Honda VTX 1800R - Modded to the MAX
2005 Ducati M800 - RIP

'You live more in 5 minutes on a motorcycle than most people do in life time' --Burt Munro

RIP Wayne Thomas (AKA Godson) ...ride on my brother, ride on.

CheapMotorcycleDeals.com - My blog where I search for the best deals on Motorcycles for sale in the DC Metro Area (Updated daily).
  Send a message via AIM to  
Yes I know of someone
Unread
  (#2)
Yea I like to build stuff

Yes I know of someone - February 4, 2010, 01:45 AM

By reading your post, I'm not sure if you are looking for a bottom dollar accept this scratch or bang and get over it type of mover or are you looking for a get it to you as is with pictures & insurance type of service in mind?
I know of a real get it done transport servise, NOT bottom dollar but very good and real I can call.
Just asking.
Katherine.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
Your Ad Here

February 4, 2010, 01:53 AM

I've done it for cars and bikes.
If you go with an insured major carrier - they do it by zones. Figure about $400-500. And you'll have to work on their driver pick-up schedule for that region since they don't do dead heading (traveling with no vehicles to/from in transport) unless you want to pay extra.

If you go with an insured minor carrier - they do it by zone or by mileage. Depends on their policy. Figure $300-350 but typically, you can usually dictate the pick-up day.

If you go with just a random dude with a flatbed/trailer - figure $250-$300.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

- Nicolo Machiavelli 1469-1527

Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#4)
Bling Blang Blaow

February 4, 2010, 02:31 AM

yeah, I'm picking up a 71 GTO in "decent" condition, I'm planning on getting it detailed once she gets up here (just minor scratches and a little rust). I defintiely don't want a smash and grab carrier but I don't need a fully covered / climate controlled move either. I just don't want to put my first 500 miles on a 71 GTO while I'm driving back through the mountains

2005 Ducati M800 - RIP

'You live more in 5 minutes on a motorcycle than most people do in life time' --Burt Munro

CheapMotorcycleDeals.com - My blog where I search for the best deals on Motorcycles for sale in the DC Metro Area (Updated daily).
Unread
  (#5)
Silence... I keeeel you

February 4, 2010, 02:53 AM

No friends with a truck that can haul it? Car haulers from uhaul are like $50 a day (the good 4 wheels off the ground ones).

Then again... That's just me.

On the internet... Everyone is an expert.

And now...The dancing Banana:
Unread
  (#6)
Addicted to Cajen food...

February 4, 2010, 09:02 AM

Military shipped my cars from Albuquerque to D.C., bent the axle on one of them... was a mess to get fixed. Obviously my experience wasn't a good one. Agree with mnky, find a friend that can uhaul it for you.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#7)
Site ADMIN

February 4, 2010, 10:21 AM

um... AUTOTRAIN should serve your needs!

This post was prepared as a service to the DCSportbikes.net community. Neither the DCSportbikes.net ADMINS nor any of the moderators, makes any warranty, expressed or implied, or assumes any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information, product, link, or process disclosed, or represents that its use would not infringe privately owned rights. Reference herein to any specific commercial products, process, or service by trade name, trademark manufacturer, or otherwise, does not necessarily constitute or imply its endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by DCSportbikes.net. The opinions of this author expressed herein do not necessarily state or reflect those of the DCSportbikes.net community, and shall not be used for advertising or product endorsement purposes.
__________________________________________________ ________

Alex
13 Honda Fury
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to spud Send a message via MSN to spud  
Unread
  (#8)
Bling Blang Blaow

February 4, 2010, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud View Post
um... AUTOTRAIN should serve your needs!
I don't think they pickup from deepest darkest NC

2005 Ducati M800 - RIP

Unread
  (#9)
Site ADMIN

February 4, 2010, 10:32 AM

he cant get the car to the train?

This post was prepared as a service to the DCSportbikes.net community. Neither the DCSportbikes.net ADMINS nor any of the moderators, makes any warranty, expressed or implied, or assumes any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information, product, link, or process disclosed, or represents that its use would not infringe privately owned rights. Reference herein to any specific commercial products, process, or service by trade name, trademark manufacturer, or otherwise, does not necessarily constitute or imply its endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by DCSportbikes.net. The opinions of this author expressed herein do not necessarily state or reflect those of the DCSportbikes.net community, and shall not be used for advertising or product endorsement purposes.
__________________________________________________ ________

Alex
13 Honda Fury
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to spud Send a message via MSN to spud  
Unread
  (#10)
Bling Blang Blaow

February 4, 2010, 11:03 AM

Quote:
I thought the autotrain only had 2 stops, Lorton, Va & Sanford, Fl?

2005 Ducati M800 - RIP

Unread
  (#11)
Herndon's Finest

February 4, 2010, 11:06 AM

Quote:
He'd have to go south to Sanford, Fl to drop it off.

Edit- ^ What he said

Jim

03 Subaru Legacy wagon
08 Subaru Tribeca Limited
12 Yamaha Super Tenere
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to J.R.  
Unread
  (#12)
See the mouth and the eye

February 4, 2010, 11:22 AM

I could go down and pick it up for you if you got a car trailer. Might be the cheapest solution for you.

I'm looking for work, engineering and consturction industry is tough right now...especially for new college grads, so I've been doing odd jobs around my neighborhood and such so this one seems right up my ally.

No dents in my driving record, no tix, moving violations, nothing, I have a truck I could haul it with too...Let me know, I'd be more than willing to help out a fellow .netter.

-Mark

2007 Yamaha RVI (sold, treat her nice Chris)

MARRC Cornerworker

Last edited by dv/dt; February 4, 2010 at 11:24 AM..
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to dv/dt  
Unread
  (#13)
Bling Blang Blaow

February 4, 2010, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dv/dt View Post
I could go down and pick it up for you if you got a car trailer. Might be the cheapest solution for you.

I'm looking for work, engineering and consturction industry is tough right now...especially for new college grads, so I've been doing odd jobs around my neighborhood and such so this one seems right up my ally.

No dents in my driving record, no tix, moving violations, nothing, I have a truck I could haul it with too...Let me know, I'd be more than willing to help out a fellow .netter.
Whoa, that's really cool of you man, let me work out a few details then I'll send you a pm. I actually have a truck so I could do it, but I don't have the trailer either. After renting the trailer & paying for your gas for a 1000 mile trip (500mi each way) it probably won't net out to you making much on the deal

2005 Ducati M800 - RIP

Unread
  (#14)
See the mouth and the eye

February 4, 2010, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benlt1000 View Post
Whoa, that's really cool of you man, let me work out a few details then I'll send you a pm. I actually have a truck so I could do it, but I don't have the trailer either. After renting the trailer & paying for your gas for a 1000 mile trip (500mi each way) it probably won't net out to you making much on the deal
Let me know what you decide. I was thinking the same thing as far as gas, it would probably be about 200-250 for gas. I dont think the trailer is very expensive though, I think UHAUL charges about $50 a day maybe?

-Mark

2007 Yamaha RVI (sold, treat her nice Chris)

MARRC Cornerworker

Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to dv/dt  
Unread
  (#15)
TPG og

February 4, 2010, 01:02 PM

Might be cheaper to find one way bus ticket...then drive that sucker back?
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to b00st