DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 571
3 members and 568 guests
HenryW, nootherids, Sal_the_man
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Should I buy a pickup?
Unread
  (#1)
girls just wanna have fun

Should I buy a pickup? - April 23, 2008, 09:38 PM

Yeah, this has NOTHING to do with sportbikes (unless you consider the possibility of me buying a trailer, too, to haul 'em). But I've been thinking about buying a used pickup for cheap. Won't be driving it much.. just to the dump and such. Some old beater I can spray down with a hose. And I don't want to spend much. Like around $5k or so.

I'm just not sure if this is a really bad idea or what. I can't think of any cons, but if ya'll think i'm nuts, please let me know before I throw away 5k.

(We have 2 cars and 4 bikes but nothing to haul stuff).
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Whirled  
Unread
  (#2)
Posting Nothing Relevant

April 23, 2008, 09:41 PM

they're great to have around as long as its not you're only means of transportation. i just got rid of my '01 dakota for many reasons. #1 being gas mileage, #2 being i could only fit 1, maybe 2 other people even though it was legal for 6 total.

if you are interested get one that can hold at least 1 bike so a trailer isnt needed in the even of a bike headed to the shop or something.

The East Coast Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi
This is America I can shit where I want. FREEDOM!!!
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to eck226 Send a message via AIM to eck226  
Unread
  (#3)

April 23, 2008, 09:55 PM

Thanks. Yeah i've thought about getting one that could fit a bike, though I'm not sure how long of a bed would I need. And I guess I'll need some type of strapping system? I honestly don't know anything about hauling bikes. My two hondas have been very good and reliable!

However, my bf has an RC51 that needs to go to the shop and some non-running Kawi.
Unread
  (#4)

April 23, 2008, 10:24 PM

And more questions... Are Fords and Dodges good trucks? I kind of skeptical of their cars, but American-built trucks are pretty reliable, no?
Unread
  (#5)
See the mouth and the eye

April 23, 2008, 10:32 PM

I'm kind of in the same boat as you...just w/o 5k in hand to spend on a truck. But I definitly would like to get one, something big enough to haul the bike around. Also I feel like it would be great to have something that I wouldnt have to worry about getting scratched or banged up as well as having the ability to tear up peoples front lawns if the need arose....

-Mark

2007 Yamaha RVI (sold, treat her nice Chris)

MARRC Cornerworker

Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to dv/dt  
Unread
  (#6)
Posting Nothing Relevant

April 24, 2008, 07:42 AM

my 2001 dakota sport ext. cab would fit my bike w/ the tail gate closed. it WAS considered a mid-sized truck when it was released, and is now more and more of a light truck. not that i'm saying get a dakota, but i know an S-10 , ranger, b-series, and older frontiers you have to leave the tail gate down.

and as far as straps, for $20-$30 at wal-mart you can get some nice ratchet straps. do yourself a favor and get a 4 pack.

The East Coast Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi
This is America I can shit where I want. FREEDOM!!!
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to eck226 Send a message via AIM to eck226  
Unread
  (#7)
Que se jodan!!

April 24, 2008, 08:15 AM

I bought a POS Ford Ranger for hauling crap to the dump and carrying my bike to the track, and it does the job well. Yes, Rangers are small and underpowered, but my gix1k fits with the gate down and I can get to VIR and Summit with no problem....just wish I had something with an extended cab....

Whisper
"Speak quietly and carry a big stick."
2014 BMW S1000RR
2006 GSXR 1000 - Street (Sold)
2005 GSXR 1000 - Track (Sold - I hate you, Paul)
2010 YZ250F -Motocross in Mexico (I still hate Yamahas)

Men are qualified for civil liberties in exact proportion to their disposition to put moral chains upon their appetites: in proportion as their love of justice is above their rapacity...Society cannot exist, unless a controlling power upon will and appetite be placed somewhere; and the less of it there is within, the more there must be without. It is ordained in the eternal constitution of things, that men of intemperate minds cannot be free. Their passions forge their fetters. ~Edmund Burke, Political Theorist and Philosopher

Some of us are lions, but even lions can be crushed under the elephant of bad management.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Whisper  
Unread
  (#8)
This Ain't My First Time!

April 24, 2008, 08:28 AM

I have had a ranger for years to get my street bikes and dirt bikes around. The first truck was a regulat cab with an extended bed. I could put bikes in it withthe tailgate up. The real truck I wanted was a ranger with an extended cab. I now have it and am more than happy with the purchase. One concern I had was with putting my valuables inthe back of the regular cab and not bein able to lock them in the truck. I had to upon stopping put the bags inthe front seat of the regular cab and it was a pain. Also on long trips I would take a cooler. That cooler would have to go in the back of the truck and when I wanted a drink I would have to stop to get to it. Both of these issues were solved with an extended cab truck. Only thing is that the tailgate has to be down wehn transporting a bike inthe back. I could care less about that. I have a bed extender and I get along quite well.

For me an extended cab truck and a bed extender is the perfect combination. You can pack stuff inthe truck for safe keeping during stops and you can pack up a cooler inside to get drinks while on long trips. AS far as toting bikes you have more than enough room with a bed extender, so there are no wrries there. On another note, you have a truck to haul stuff around in whenever you want or need.

Also i opted for a 4 cylinder ranger with a manual trans. I get 25 miles a gallon around town, and something like 22-23 when on the highway toting bikes and gear. I have a 98 ext cab ranger.

OVER? did you say "Over"? Nothing is over until we decide its over, was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell No!!!

~Blutarski~

Dodge131:
If your goal is to scrape knee within 1 mile of your house then you sir have a problem.

Men have two emotions: Hungry and Horny. If you see him without an erection, make him a sandwich.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#9)
<-Insert Witty Quip Here.

April 24, 2008, 08:33 AM

I drive a pickup truck as my main means of transportation, and although I wish I could afford a car for comfort reasons, the utility of having a truck is endless. You will find yourself using it much more than you expect; and throw a lockable toolbox in the back and you'll love it even more. $5k is a lot for a beater truck too, you can probably do much better, but IMO it's much worth the expense if it's part-time use!
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to BadAssMother4k  
Unread
  (#10)
Still here

April 24, 2008, 08:45 AM

As someone who has 2 convertible vehicles (one with no trunk space and the other is a Geo Tracker so it simply has no space at all) I have so often found myself in the situation of needing a truck or at least a bigger vehicle to move stuff or even bring things home from a store. An old beater truck sounds like a great thing. Ford trucks have great reputations. If you find yourself hauling stuff often, or needing a big vehicle and you have the dollars why not buy one. But as ECK said they make poor daily drivers.

02 1100 VStar

I've got a bike and I ride it year round. Nuff said

.Net - Those that care, post.
Those that don't care, seem to post too.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to vstargidget Send a message via AIM to vstargidget  
Unread
  (#11)
No! You!

April 24, 2008, 09:00 AM

We have a 98' Ford Ranger XLT without extended cab. It's in good condition, no dents, decent paint, good gas mileage. I don't consider it a "beater." I think we picked it up a few years back, to haul house stuff and bikes, for $3K. It's been our best buy and we get so much use out of it. The only thing that we would do next time is get one with an extended cab and bed extender. It is a hassle to put stuff behind the seats and we can't close the gate on bigger bikes.

I think 5K might be a little too high for a beater.

Miami Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bexxx
I slapped him in the forehead for being vulgar (I'm a lady, dammit).
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#12)
Popplers!

April 24, 2008, 11:13 AM

I'm selling my 06 Xterra to pickup an ~2000 Tacoma 4cyl 4x4. I hope I'm making the right choice.
Unread
  (#13)
This Ain't My First Time!

April 24, 2008, 11:26 AM

Do they make a 4 cyl 4x4, never heard of it. I am sure you are not making a mistake. The Tacoma's are good trucks, engines are pretty solid on them. The Ranger is just a Mazda. It has a Mazda engine and transmission.

Just checked, I guess they do.

OVER? did you say "Over"? Nothing is over until we decide its over, was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell No!!!

~Blutarski~

Dodge131:
If your goal is to scrape knee within 1 mile of your house then you sir have a problem.

Men have two emotions: Hungry and Horny. If you see him without an erection, make him a sandwich.

Last edited by cf3232; April 24, 2008 at 11:29 AM..
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#14)
Popplers!

April 24, 2008, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cf3232
Do they make a 4 cyl 4x4, never heard of it. I am sure you are not making a mistake. The Tacoma's are good trucks, engines are pretty solid on them. The Ranger is just a Mazda. It has a Mazda engine and transmission.

Just checked, I guess they do.
Ya, they make it in the 2.4 and the 2.7. I'm thinking the 2.7 in 5speed with power windows/locks, extra cab, will be a nice swap. In a year I'll upgrade to a nice 09 frontier .
Unread
  (#15)
<-Insert Witty Quip Here.

April 24, 2008, 12:37 PM

The Tacoma is the truck I drive. I concur with CF, I beat the hell out of that truck and it's been great to me, even with high mileage.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to BadAssMother4k