DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 551
0 members and 551 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Shunned from society, widows flock to city to die
Unread
  (#1)
Riding is like Sex. WEEE!

Shunned from society, widows flock to city to die - July 5, 2007, 09:54 AM

This is cold hearted, yet quite funny to me at the same time.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/asiapc...ows/index.html
Shunned from society, widows flock to city to die

VRINDAVAN, India (CNN) -- Ostracized by society, India's widows flock to the holy city of Vrindavan waiting to die. They are found on side streets, hunched over with walking canes, their heads shaved and their pain etched by hundreds of deep wrinkles in their faces.
A widow makes her way in Vrindavan, India, where an estimated 15,000 widows live on the streets.

They cannot remarry. They must not wear jewelry. They are forced to shave their heads and typically wear white. Even their shadows are considered bad luck.

Hindus have long believed that death in Vrindavan will free them from the cycle of life and death. For widows, they hope death will save them from being condemned to such a life again. Watch how some widows are rebelling »

"Does it feel good?" says 70-year-old Rada Rani Biswas. "Now I have to loiter just for a bite to eat."

Biswas speaks with a strong voice, but her spirit is broken. When her husband of 50 years died, she was instantly ostracized by all those she thought loved her, including her son.
"My son tells me: 'You have grown old. Now who is going to feed you? Go away,' " she says, her eyes filling with tears. "What do I do? My pain had no limit."

As she speaks, she squats in front of one of Vrindavan's temples, her life reduced to begging for scraps of food.

There are an estimated 40 million widows in India, many of them shunned and stripped of the life they lived when they were married.

It's believed that 15,000 widows live on the streets of Vrindavan, a city of about 55,000 in northern India.

"Widows don't have many social rights within the family," says Ranjana Kumari with the Center for Social Research, a group that works to empower women.

The situation is much more extreme within India's rural community. "There, it is much more tradition-bound; in urban areas, there are more chances and possibilities to live a normal life."

But the majority of India's 1.1 billion population is rural. "The government recognizes the problem," Kumari says. "It can do a lot, but it's not doing enough."

One woman, a widow herself, is working for change. Dr. Mohini Giri has formed an organization called the Guild of Service, which helps destitute women and children.
Giri's mother was widowed when Giri was 9 years old, and she saw what a struggle it was. Then, Giri lost her husband when she was 50, enduring the social humiliation that comes with being a widow. At times, she was asked not to attend weddings because her presence was considered bad luck.

"Generally all widows are ostracized," she says. "An educated woman may have money and independence, but even that is snatched away when she becomes a widow. We live in a patriarchal society. Men say that culturally as a widow you cannot do anything: You cannot grow your hair, you should not look beautiful."

She adds, "It's the mind-set of society we need to change -- not the women."
Seven years ago, Giri's organization set up a refuge called Amar Bari, or "My Home," in Vrindavan. It has become a refuge for about 120 of India's widows. Giri's organization is set to open a second home, one that will house another 500 widows.
But as she says, "Mine is but a drop in the bucket."

At Amar Bari, most widows reject traditional white outfits and grow out their hair. Along the open air corridors that link the house's courtyard are green wooden doors, leading to dark tiny rooms, home for each widow. See the widows of Vrindavan »

Bent over by osteoporosis, 85-year-old Promita Das meticulously and slowly sweeps the floor just outside her door and then carefully cleans her dishes.

"I came here when I couldn't work anymore. I used to clean houses," she says. "Nobody looked after me, nobody loved me. I survived on my own."

She married at 12 and was widowed at 15. Seventy years later, she finds herself at Amar Bari. "I used to live in front of a temple, but then I came here," she says.

She carries with her not only the pain of a life without love, but also the loss of her only child. She gave birth at 14; her baby lived a year.

Another widow, Ranu Mukherjee, wearing a bright red-patterned sari, shows off her room at the home and wants to sing for her guests. The lyrics of her song are about a lost traveler.
"When did you come here after losing your way?" she sings. "When I remember the days gone by I feel sad."

"Riding a race bike is an art - a thing that you do because you feel something inside."

"I don't like being famous - it is like a prison. And driving for Ferrari would make it far worse."

"I race to win. If I am on the bike or in a car it will always be the same."

"I'm Valentino Rossi. And I want to be a person, not an icon."

Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Rossi Send a message via AIM to Rossi Send a message via Skype™ to Rossi 
Unread
  (#2)
Brainwash Your Face!

July 5, 2007, 10:08 AM

Uh...I seriously dont see the humor in this at all.

Heartbreaking...

"Someone should donkey punch that bitch with a waffle iron then upload the video to World Star Hip Hop" ~.Nets Resident Chivalrous Gentlemen Stillie

RIP KATIE RIP BAMBAM RIP VEGA
Gasoline by The Bouncing Souls
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOxc2cM75NI

Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
opossum puncher

July 5, 2007, 10:09 AM

Wow.

-
Attack Life! It's going to kill you anyway.

08 Z1000

Go Hokies!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to zx6rfool  
Unread
  (#4)
No bike, jus here 4 drama

July 5, 2007, 10:10 AM

not sure how funny it is.. but I do know it's f*ckin' ignorant. What the hell is wrong with the world? Why don't these assholes fast forward a few centuries?

"Spin"
Blue '07 R1 (CRASHED RIP)
Sponsored by Winchester Orthopedics

Not responsible if anything I say causes you to kill yourself.
Unread
  (#5)
Mr. Glass

July 5, 2007, 10:11 AM

thats just crazy.

06 Black 10R
http://theazzman.com
http://twitter.com/azzman
"(@)'(@)''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''(@)(@)** **** (@)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi
dressing up like a fruity gangster and going to Sterling, that is like wearing a tuxedo just to go to the bathroom.
Quote:
Buying a sportbike to go the speed limit (which you do not do in your car) is like buying a condom to look at it.

Do you buy a condom to look at it? No you buy it to fuck.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via ICQ to usman Send a message via Yahoo to usman Send a message via AIM to usman  
Unread
  (#6)
B
It goes to 11.

July 5, 2007, 10:13 AM

They need to get their reparations!

SV650s for SALE!!!
- 2007 SV650 Racebike-Superbike KWS/Thermosman suspension/Swenz bodywork/All GSXR Parts
- 2009 SV650 Streetbike Race blue with white stripe/No wrecks/fully faired with M4 full system

Shoot me a PM or talk to Nate (Nudist) if you're interested in purchase.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to B  
Unread
  (#7)

July 5, 2007, 10:22 AM

"My son tells me: 'You have grown old. Now who is going to feed you? Go away,' " she says, her eyes filling with tears. "What do I do? My pain had no limit."

I think it is funny that people actually treat people like this. I mean seriously You can't help but laugh at some society's traditions that oppress themselves.

Who would honestly say the above quote to their mom? My mom would smack the shit out of me no matter how old I was.

"Riding a race bike is an art - a thing that you do because you feel something inside."

"I don't like being famous - it is like a prison. And driving for Ferrari would make it far worse."

Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Rossi Send a message via AIM to Rossi Send a message via Skype™ to Rossi 
Unread
  (#8)
B
It goes to 11.

July 5, 2007, 10:26 AM

I'm gonna bring em "lochs of love" wigs and some bling gold earings.

SV650s for SALE!!!
- 2007 SV650 Racebike-Superbike KWS/Thermosman suspension/Swenz bodywork/All GSXR Parts
- 2009 SV650 Streetbike Race blue with white stripe/No wrecks/fully faired with M4 full system

Unread
  (#9)

July 5, 2007, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixrben
I'm gonna bring em "locks of love" and some bling gold earings.
I'm going Cougar hunting.

Unread
  (#10)
B
It goes to 11.

July 5, 2007, 10:28 AM

word to their moms!

SV650s for SALE!!!

Unread
  (#11)
Brainwash Your Face!

July 5, 2007, 10:34 AM

Quote:

I think it is funny that people actually treat people like this. I mean seriously You can't help but laugh at some society's traditions that oppress themselves.

Who would honestly say the above quote to their mom? My mom would smack the shit out of me no matter how old I was.

Glad you clarified what you meant by funny.

I was getting worried about you....might want to try a different adjective next time

"Someone should donkey punch that bitch with a waffle iron then upload the video to World Star Hip Hop" ~.Nets Resident Chivalrous Gentlemen Stillie

Unread
  (#12)
Give me the Ban Button!

July 5, 2007, 10:35 AM

I would usally be the person to find something funny in anything. I however cant bring myself to even look. It would be a lost effort to try to find anything funny in this.

How is it a womans falt that her husband passed on. Why would they be treated like that? It makes no sence.

MY SPELLING SUCKS....DEAL WITH IT

MyCanikon.net A place to hang out if you are interested in talking photography.

Last edited by Nubbs; July 5, 2007 at 10:39 AM..
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Nubbs Send a message via AIM to Nubbs  
Unread
  (#13)
B
It goes to 11.

July 5, 2007, 10:53 AM

Funny has lots of meanings. Red bold underlined.

fun·ny1 –adjective
1.providing fun; causing amusement or laughter; amusing; comical: a funny remark; a funny person.
2.attempting to amuse; facetious: Did you really mean that or were you just being funny? 3.warranting suspicion; deceitful; underhanded: We thought there was something funny about those extra charges.
4.Informal. insolent; impertinent: Don't get funny with me, young man!
5.curious; strange; peculiar; odd: Her speech has a funny twang. –noun
6.Informal. a funny remark or story; a joke: to make a funny.
7.funnies, a.comic strips. b.Also called funny paper. the section of a newspaper reserved for comic strips, word games, etc.

SV650s for SALE!!!

Unread
  (#14)
Brainwash Your Face!

July 5, 2007, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixrben
Funny has lots of meanings. Red bold underlined.

fun·ny1 –adjective
1.providing fun; causing amusement or laughter; amusing; comical: a funny remark; a funny person.
2.attempting to amuse; facetious: Did you really mean that or were you just being funny? 3.warranting suspicion; deceitful; underhanded: We thought there was something funny about those extra charges.
4.Informal. insolent; impertinent: Don't get funny with me, young man!
5.curious; strange; peculiar; odd: Her speech has a funny twang. –noun
6.Informal. a funny remark or story; a joke: to make a funny.
7.funnies, a.comic strips. b.Also called funny paper. the section of a newspaper reserved for comic strips, word games, etc.
Thanks smartass...I realize that but I also know Adrian has a twisted sense of humor as you and I so I wasnt really sure where he was going with it.

Neither did some of the others til he posted again...

so......

Unread
  (#15)
Brainwash Your Face!

July 5, 2007, 11:15 AM

Wait now that I think about it...Ben, you trying to start a pissing match with me? A fight of sorts?

JELLO WRESTLING TONIGHT...THE SPOT...WEAR YOUR BANANA HAMMOCK!

You're going down bitch!