DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 525
3 members and 522 guests
fxc3700, nootherids, Sal_the_man
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Ski/ Snowboard mountains close-ish to DC
Unread
  (#1)
No more 1050 :(

Ski/ Snowboard mountains close-ish to DC - December 30, 2012, 08:25 PM

There's been some talk lately about Wisp, 7 Springs, Snowshoe, etc.. here are my quick & dirty reviews of the local-ish places.

Wisp: Was my favorite place to take someone else to. They have cheap tickets, a cool vibe, never seemed to get crazy crowded. If you're an advanced skiier/ boarder, you won't find anything challenging on this mountain, but it will be a good day anyways.

Timberline: They haz trees. And drops. And other goodies. If you like exploring, go here. If you prefer to stay on the trails, go somewhere else. They have a fun trail or two, that's it for the marked shit. No real lodge to speak of, but I like it that way. Super chill, laid back vibe.

Whitetail: If you're going on a weekday, it's a fun & close trip. It's a small hill, terrain similar-ish to what Wisp has to offer, but even smaller.. and gets more people on the weekend. They actually have one good bump trail here (usually.) Bumps kick my ass, that's why I like [hate] them.

Snowshoe: I don't have many good things to say about there. Expensive, yuppie-ville.. it's a decent sized hill, by far the largest in the mid-atlantic, but I was disappointed by their terrain.. or lack thereof. They made this place to be family friendly, so I guess it's at least that.. but I'd still rather take my kid to Wisp.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Traction Control

December 30, 2012, 09:23 PM

Snowshoe has had the biggest park (s) in that area for the last decade. and a shart load of terrain

negatives: no cell phones and you have to drive to the top

KTM RC8R
KTM RC390 race
Yamaha R6 race
Honda CRF50 mini
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Tecknojoe  
Unread
  (#3)
On vacation

December 30, 2012, 09:28 PM

Great thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
My wife wants to get LASIK or a boob job

She asked my opinion

I told her I have no vested interest in making her eyesight better
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex View Post
Im not really fast enough to notice a difference between tires. I buy the kind thats black and made out of rubber.
Unread
  (#4)
and lime

December 30, 2012, 10:03 PM

Anybody speak to the others nearby?

Seven Springs
Hidden Valley
Canaan
Massanutten
Bryce
Unread
  (#5)
i suck at the introweb

December 30, 2012, 11:33 PM

there are plenty others a little bit farther north, about the same distance as others.

camelback (pretty good, but a lot of advertisement so can get crowded)

jack frost (a favorite of mine, only thing they close at 4pm, but pass is good for big boulder which opens at 3pm, sucks that they don't offer just a morning pass just all day)

big boulder (snowboard park mostly, opens at 3pm i think its only $35 for a pass since its part of jack frost your day pass from there is good here too)

sno mountain (anther favorite of mine has decent trails, just hope they get there financial issues taken care of as it is starting to reflect how the mountain is run) was just there friday.

elk mountain (its elk mountain, wed its $20 all day pass, still fun)

blue mountain (average, but they have a foam pit to practice on the kicker)

blue knob (another favorite, its hole in the wall dive of a ski resort, but can't complain low crowds, low prices, and they usually get snow on a regular. be prepared no pads on the lifts just bare metal so no grip and cold ass on slow days)

Never be afraid that your life will end, only be afraid that it will never begin!

You Learn when your young, and understand when your older!
Unread
  (#6)
i suck at the introweb

December 30, 2012, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal View Post
Anybody speak to the others nearby?

Seven Springs (vacationy, and right next to hidden valley)
Hidden Valley (banks on people staying at seven springs resorts that don't want to deal with the crowds as its right next to seven springs)
Canaan (never bin)
Massanutten (never bin)
Bryce (very small, like 8 trails i think)
added

Never be afraid that your life will end, only be afraid that it will never begin!

You Learn when your young, and understand when your older!
Unread
  (#7)
Sewing Machine Rider

December 31, 2012, 05:20 AM

I haven't been for a season or two but...

Massanutten- smaller, but usually less crowded. Lots of JMU folks there for obvious reasons. One of the first places to get their park up each season as it's dirt based, but it also doesn't change that much for the same reason.

Wintergreen

god awful crowds. I wouldn't even bother on weekends\holidays. Bigger than Massanutten, smaller than Snowshoe. Park is actually not too bad since they started figuring out how to make smoother lips.

I wish we could start getting some snow already. I wouldn't mind going up a time or two this season.
Unread
  (#8)
Commute racer

December 31, 2012, 05:29 AM

Which one has the longest trail? I don't go very often, but I remember one of the PA hills has a really long beginner. I'm taking my wife and brother-in-law snowboarding this upcoming month. They need to take the class and learn how. I might slink away to an intermediate trail later in the day, but I want a good beginner trail for them.

Some I've seen have one crap beginner trail, and then you're thrown to the wolves with the next step up.
Unread
  (#9)
GP Racer

December 31, 2012, 07:19 AM

I went to seven springs this past weekend. lines for the lift were long but the powder more than made up for it. it was busy but fun. heard snowshoe got a crap ton of snow also.

----------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaTorch7 View Post
So in summary you're a little bitch, nobody believes your bitchass about anything, you look like a bitch, you sound like a whiny bitch and you've probably been a bitch for a long time.

All I want to know, how old were you when you realized you were a bitch? or did someone else have to tell you?

The only thing you can Jocky is the keyboard, so why dont you stfu Bitch
Unread
  (#10)
Sewing Machine Rider

December 31, 2012, 07:33 AM

Welcome to DCSki is a pretty good site for info on all the resorts
Unread
  (#11)
GP Champ

December 31, 2012, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobMoore View Post
Which one has the longest trail? I don't go very often, but I remember one of the PA hills has a really long beginner. I'm taking my wife and brother-in-law snowboarding this upcoming month. They need to take the class and learn how. I might slink away to an intermediate trail later in the day, but I want a good beginner trail for them.

Some I've seen have one crap beginner trail, and then you're thrown to the wolves with the next step up.
Timberline has the longest run at 2+ miles (salamander) it is nice and mellow as well.
Unread
  (#12)
Chasing the dragon

December 31, 2012, 08:23 AM

How is Wisp for snowboarding newbs? My girl and I are looking to make a trip there in January.

More gas, less brake
Unread
  (#13)
Mojito Anyone?

December 31, 2012, 08:24 AM

7 springs hands down.. within 3 hours of fairfax.. best parks.. best park crew.. they know how to setup their shit.

ay ya yay
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to onel0wcubn Send a message via AIM to onel0wcubn  
Unread
  (#14)
Mommy's Little Monster

December 31, 2012, 08:51 AM

Seven springs is also my favorite. Pretty good size, usually good snow, if you head to the 'north face' (back side) it's usually far less crowded and a lot more open. They also have night skiing/riding, so if you're a first chair to last run type of person, it's generally a pretty good bang for your buck.

Lunch rooms are insanely busy mid-day, but the bars are usually pretty good at night once all the families leave the mountain.

2018 BMW R1200 GS
2016 Yamaha FJ-09
2014 Honda CB500X
2007 Suzuki DRZ 400SM
2007 Suzuki GSXR 600
Unread
  (#15)
fo shizzle

December 31, 2012, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by okayh View Post
How is Wisp for snowboarding newbs? My girl and I are looking to make a trip there in January.
Hey Korey, heading there now, let you know how it goes.