DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 485
2 members and 483 guests
Sal_the_man, Taty
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Small office networking question
Unread
  (#1)
Popplers!

Small office networking question - April 9, 2013, 02:11 PM

My company is moving to new space and we need to build out the network. We'd like to go cheap and simple for our infrastructure. We are predominantly wireless and need dual band N. We have a few wired devices that, due to physical location, cannot connect to the same switch as the router and we are not running ethernet throughout the office space.

I'm thinking we need one wifi dual band n router with 4 10/100/1000 ports, another router or AP thats purpose is to repeat the wifi single and two 16 port switches.

The space is shaped like the trapezoid below and we'll place the wifi router at the point labeled "a." The space is 3000sqft.

I want the entire network to run on the same subnet and I want a single SSID.

So what routers/ap/other devices do you recommend? I'm also open to other suggestions on design.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
watch this!...

April 9, 2013, 02:20 PM

If you need any outlets/switches/lights added or moved or anything electrical I can help, or data runs/terminations.
Unread
  (#3)
Got my Permit

April 9, 2013, 02:20 PM

Do not try using any wirles routrers from office depot, staples o bestbuy for even though they say its can be use for business it really doesnt have the functionthat you need. I would contact cisco and ask them about thier wirelss network routers which are fa better and have greater enryption protection as well as being able to become a switch within the network.
Unread
  (#4)
GP Champ

April 9, 2013, 02:23 PM

What's your throughput requirements?

Wireless AP's configured to operate as a mesh network would work. You could place them were you have a device that has to be wired and they would spread your wireless signal around better. Speeds aren't bad unless the remote AP's are daisy chaining their signal to get to the main router/switch which doesn't sound like would be the case.

Or you might be able to use adapters to run off the wiring in the building for devices that must be hardwired, never used them but a couple of folks I know say they work fine.

All this works, but obviously isn't an elegant solution.

There's bold riders and old riders, but damn few bold old riders.
Unread
  (#5)
Popplers!

April 9, 2013, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by windblown View Post
What's your throughput requirements?

Wireless AP's configured to operate as a mesh network would work. You could place them were you have a device that has to be wired and they would spread your wireless signal around better. Speeds aren't bad unless the remote AP's are daisy chaining their signal to get to the main router/switch which doesn't sound like would be the case.

Or you might be able to use adapters to run off the wiring in the building for devices that must be hardwired, never used them but a couple of folks I know say they work fine.

All this works, but obviously isn't an elegant solution.
Well, throughput is interesting because it's probably more demanding than I'm rationalizing. We'll have a 125Mbps connection out, through FiOS, but we spend the majority of our day looking at youtube, cat pictures, using google hangout and occasionally pushing a git commit. The problem is that 25 of us will be simultaneously watching youtube, using google hangout and looking at cat pictures . I can't really see our throughput being higher than 40Mbps but we do have a few employees who watch Netflix during the day; we occasionally transfer big file sizes, 50GB+, but those days may end soon.

Our office internet use is as close to "home use" as you can get, we don't have in-house servers and we don't require VPN/VLANs/QoS. We really need the wifi coverage to be perfect and also connect a few wired devices without running the cable.

Do you have a recommendation for the APs?

Here is my incredibly crude drawing of how I think the network should be built out. The laptops are positioned in places where we'll need coverage and the count is realistic. All laptops will connect wirelessly, the desktop will connect to the AP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1is2many View Post
If you need any outlets/switches/lights added or moved or anything electrical I can help, or data runs/terminations.
Thanks but, unfortunately, we already have a contractor and a budget that's not large enough to cover the cost of dropping ethernet and new power. If we decide to do the work in the future I'll keep you in mind.

Last edited by karrotx; April 9, 2013 at 03:53 PM..
Unread
  (#6)
Say Jur Oh

April 9, 2013, 03:52 PM

You want these.

Unifi | Ubiquiti Networks, Inc.

I run them at work (small business) and they work so damn well I got them for my house as well.

They can meet all of your requirements (wireless bridging, outstanding throughput, and seamless roaming between multiple APs using a single SSID).

Seriously, they are fucking awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillie View Post
I'm not saying this site has a bunch of gay dudes on it but a few of you definitely lack a bumpstop on the sexuality gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillie View Post
Here is my anus! Deliver thy penis unto it!

Greg "BamBam" Walker
September 11th 2009
You are missed
Godspeed
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Seijirou  
Unread
  (#7)
The last urrbendah

April 9, 2013, 04:39 PM

Unifi is righteous, as is Ruckus. We actually had to go with a Ruckess setup in our CEO's "apartment" in NYC due to the number of devices requiring streaming media. It has been absolutely flawless so far.

Apartment is in "" because it's got the same sq footage as some houses. Single AP feeding a minimum of 4 ipads, 2 Apple TV's, 2 Mac Mini servers, and several other devices at all times.

13 KTM 200 XC-W
15 KTM 350 XC-F

I might have a dirt bike problem.