DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 565
4 members and 561 guests
davidcycle, GRN96WS6, Speed3, TTViper
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Smart Car
Unread
  (#1)
No Regrets

Smart Car - June 17, 2008, 09:00 AM

So, I've been asking my clients lately what they're doing to save money in this economy and high gas prices inevitably come up in every conversation. (Feel free to share what you're doing too, please). We eventually start talking about the Smart Car and most of my clients don't know what it is, have never seen one or heard of it. So, I tell them about it and when they ask me what how many mpg it gets, I usually guess 50. So in an effort to find the real answer, and price range, I keep coming across sites that announce it's production from 2004 and 2006, but does anyone know how much it retails for in 2008 and really what it's true mpg range is?

btw, did you know there was a Smart Car forum? http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/

no regrets
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to insanaq Send a message via AIM to insanaq  
Unread
  (#2)
( * )|( * )

June 17, 2008, 09:02 AM

Here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vtg2gGdmmzI

F those things...

Chris
2008 MARRC AM Racer of the Year
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
Mr. Glass

June 17, 2008, 09:08 AM

a very good friend of mine is the GM for smart @ HBL.

he has had people get up to 55mpg hwy, and 45 city.

he has one also that he is demo-ing. and he usually gets about 45 hwy and 40 city.

not bad, and its actually really roomie inside..

this car definately gets better mpg than my bike.

06 Black 10R
http://theazzman.com
http://twitter.com/azzman
"(@)'(@)''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''(@)(@)** **** (@)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi
dressing up like a fruity gangster and going to Sterling, that is like wearing a tuxedo just to go to the bathroom.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi
Buying a sportbike to go the speed limit (which you do not do in your car) is like buying a condom to look at it.

Do you buy a condom to look at it? No you buy it to fuck.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via ICQ to usman Send a message via Yahoo to usman Send a message via AIM to usman  
Unread
  (#4)
whoa preppy......

June 17, 2008, 09:17 AM

Smart cars are good for those with strict parking constraints. Otherwise, they aren't. THey require premium gas. A Yaris hatchback is a better (and vastly more roomy) alternative.

2018 XSR700
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2019 Honda Monkey
2019 Z900 ABS
2019 Janus Halcyon
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#5)
No Regrets

June 17, 2008, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scot
Smart cars are good for those with strict parking constraints. Otherwise, they aren't. THey require premium gas. A Yaris hatchback is a better (and vastly more roomy) alternative.
they require premium gas? I definitely didn't know that.

Did you see the news story this week that Adrian Fenty got one? I thought, wow, slow news day.

I did find out, in my short research, that a Yaris gets 37 mpg, and my bike gets about 35, for about the same price, that made me feel good at least.

no regrets
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to insanaq Send a message via AIM to insanaq  
Unread
  (#6)
( * )|( * )

June 17, 2008, 09:26 AM

I'm averaging 32 to 35 city and 40 to 42 highway in my mini...yet it does 0-60 in 6.2 and has a 13 gallon tank which I'm averaging about 530 miles to a tank (premium) Mine is the 6-speed auto (I bought an auto because it's the fastest MINI you can buy...even faster than the JCW )

The Smart I believe start at 11K and you have to wait a year, basically you build it and they get it to you between 6 months to a year.

Gas mileage, I believe 32 to 40 city and around 45 highway. 70hp and 0-60 in *cough 12 seconds!

Edit here you go: http://www.smartusa.com/smart-car-te...fications.aspx

Chris
2008 MARRC AM Racer of the Year
Unread
  (#7)
whoa preppy......

June 17, 2008, 09:29 AM

Engine Displacement 1 liter / 61 cu inch Number of cylinders/ configuration three in-line Engine block/cylinder head aluminium Valves four per cylinder Engine capacity 61 cubic inch Bore x stroke 2.83 x 3.22 inches Rated output 52 kW / 70 hp @ 5800 rpms Max. torque 68 lb ft @ 4500 Oil 3.5 qt (incl. filter) Coolant
4.5 qt Fuel delivery
electronic multipoint injection Recommended fuel premium unleaded gasoline (min 91 octane)

Yeah. Sucks.
My mom has an 07 Yaris hatch. I drove it in mixed traffic for 130 miles and it used just over 3 gallons. It's quiet, comfortable enough, seems pretty well put together for a car that was less than 14k.
I'm not certain, but the Yaris 0-60 seems quicker than 13 seconds (the smart car's stat)
I mean, who cares if it's 12 seconds or 14 seconds really. heh

2018 XSR700
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2019 Honda Monkey
2019 Z900 ABS
2019 Janus Halcyon
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#8)
Que se jodan!!

June 17, 2008, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deviousR6
The Smart I believe start at 11K and you have to wait a year, basically you build it and they get it to you between 6 months to a year.
That's odd - the SMART car dealership by my house has at least 3 dozen SMART cars sitting out in the lot everytime I pass by there.....

Whisper
"Speak quietly and carry a big stick."
2014 BMW S1000RR
2006 GSXR 1000 - Street (Sold)
2005 GSXR 1000 - Track (Sold - I hate you, Paul)
2010 YZ250F -Motocross in Mexico (I still hate Yamahas)

Men are qualified for civil liberties in exact proportion to their disposition to put moral chains upon their appetites: in proportion as their love of justice is above their rapacity...Society cannot exist, unless a controlling power upon will and appetite be placed somewhere; and the less of it there is within, the more there must be without. It is ordained in the eternal constitution of things, that men of intemperate minds cannot be free. Their passions forge their fetters. ~Edmund Burke, Political Theorist and Philosopher

Some of us are lions, but even lions can be crushed under the elephant of bad management.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Whisper  
Unread
  (#9)
i eat mop who?

June 17, 2008, 09:49 AM

is it me or is there no crumple zone on the smart? I feel if a bunny sat up in the middle of the road and put its paws out to stop the car, the car would be destroyed...even if it was a solid steel frame that isn't any better..
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to vaboy  
Unread
  (#10)
GP Champ

June 17, 2008, 09:58 AM

Geo Metro is the real smart car.

'Smart Cars' are not only expensive, but also inpractical for the US market. They are really meant only for urban areas, and there really aren't that many purely urban areas in the US... These cars may work for NYC, Boston, and Chicago where people actually spend 95% of the time in an urban setting. But in other cities like DC, there's a lot of things going on in the burbs and people don't just stay in the small urban enclave that is DC.
Unread
  (#11)
GP Champ

June 17, 2008, 10:41 AM

It wears expensive wheels/tires too. The yaris is probably better for total cost of ownership. No car, or even a bike, will save you enough in gas to warrant getting a new one. But if you needed a new one anyway, the Yaris probably the way to go. I really like the mini, but it's so much more expensive. It's also got the expensive tires.

The chevy cobalt is super cheap and they have that $2.99 gas deal. It might get it done but I bet the resale value is also lower.