DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 454
5 members and 449 guests
2blueyam, HotRod1200, legendindisguise, Sal_the_man, Slider
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Snow Blowers: What do you have, The good n Bad
Unread
  (#1)
Я - Ребенок Люциферов

Snow Blowers: What do you have, The good n Bad - January 25, 2016, 09:05 PM

This snow storm I realized that I have been shoveling snow since I was 12 years old and will be 44 in march. 32 years manually doing this shit is getting old now.

For some reason I never ever thought about a snow blower until now and seeing on FB what looks like everyone have one.

Most look about the same size, but reading spects all snow blowers are not created equal.

What do you have and how well do it work....

The Nightmare of Summit Point
WERA Nov# 325 / CCS # 326
2016 ZX10R ABS (Street) | 2011 ZX10RR(Race)
2011 R6 (Street & Track) | 2009 WR250F
GunnRunnaz.com|GR on FaceBook | www.2666ad.com|
  Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via MSN to vonstallin  
Unread
  (#2)
Can't work my clutch!!

January 25, 2016, 09:42 PM

I'm gonna keep an eye on this thread. I've been thinking about getting just a corded electric snow shovel, not a full blower tho.

15 Star Bolt R-Spec
09 600RR ABS
07 600RR
01 GSXR600
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
Groping is a skill...

January 25, 2016, 09:47 PM

Make sure you get a two stage one. There is a separate motor for the wheels and the snow blower. A good one is going to run between $400-600. Of course this is for something that could deal with what you guys just had.

If you need one for a few inches of snow anything will do.

2015 KTM Super Duke 1290 R
2013 Victory Vision Tour
K7 Gixxer 600 - Track Only
RnR Cycles Touched & Tuned

I grope suckaz!!! -
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#4)
All weather rider

January 25, 2016, 10:04 PM

For these one-in-a decade snowstorms, instead of having a snowblower, what's the chance of being able to reserve for rent a skid-steer loader loader, like a small Bobcat for the occasion? We had a solid week of advance notice for this storm. For small storms, it wouldn't matter to me. I find that long-burn endurance seems to get better with age. I stopped working out on Wednesday so I'd be fresh and was able to shovel 6 hours straight, two days in a row.
Unread
  (#5)
Sewing Machine Rider

January 25, 2016, 10:17 PM

<--Ariens 28" does work, but probably overkill for VA. Also, electric start is more valuable than anticipated, as you usually only need to start a snowblower in the cold.
Unread
  (#6)
Я - Ребенок Люциферов

January 25, 2016, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phogroian View Post
For these one-in-a decade snowstorms, instead of having a snowblower, what's the chance of being able to reserve for rent a skid-steer loader loader, like a small Bobcat for the occasion? We had a solid week of advance notice for this storm. For small storms, it wouldn't matter to me. I find that long-burn endurance seems to get better with age. I stopped working out on Wednesday so I'd be fresh and was able to shovel 6 hours straight, two days in a row.
we get enough to justify getting a blower...
And in DC as tight as it is...even with them plowing we are kind of fucked.

Most times the whole hood shovel the streets because the trucks cant fit. This year for the first time they used a back hoe.

Decent job, but still going to be rough.

I also skipped spin class so i could be fresh...
I have to do my house, and my moms house. front and back on both.
i have the space to store a blower and I would use it to do my neighbors houses also. We all have to ban together to get shit really cleared, but I will give DC props. THis is the first year I have seen them use contractors to plow the hood.

I saw how many people die clearing snow...Ive always done cardio work sicne 1996 and just had dr visit...athletic resting heart rate is 40-60 bpm
Average human is 60-100 bpm.
I was 69 bpm and i know if i was actually resting it should have been lower. I was running late and ran up 3 flights of steps lol and was admitted and weighed and measured within 10 min of showing up...
So i feel good.

Muddawg showed me this unit right here. I think I might get her.
electric and pull start.
dual stage.
https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...04&oe=56A90A19

The Nightmare of Summit Point
WERA Nov# 325 / CCS # 326
2016 ZX10R ABS (Street) | 2011 ZX10RR(Race)
2011 R6 (Street & Track) | 2009 WR250F
GunnRunnaz.com|GR on FaceBook | www.2666ad.com|
  Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via MSN to vonstallin  
Unread
  (#7)
No more 1050 :(

January 25, 2016, 10:28 PM

Gravely Commercial 12. It's a beast. They refer to it as a snow cannon instead of a blower... shoot all that snow into the neighbor's yard!

Unread
  (#8)
No more 1050 :(

January 25, 2016, 10:32 PM

Ariens makes good units nowadays. I think I'm the only one, but I don't like electric starts... unless they have a pull starter too. Just another battery to worry about. Ether does a nice job on a cold engine.

Any snowblower would have a real tough time moving that packed down snow left by the frontloader. A shovel really might be your best bet.
Unread
  (#9)
GP Racer

January 25, 2016, 11:05 PM

I don't think we get enough snow for them, how many times is the snow only a inch or two?

Ariens are good but pretty sure most of them are rebranded ie mtd craftsmen etc..

Isn't ice bad for a snowblower anyway?

Tommy

MSF Graduate 9-25-05
13 DRZ400SM Sold 6-21-16
06 R6 Raven Sold 4-23-15
Unread
  (#10)
GP Racer

January 25, 2016, 11:12 PM

Pro-tip: make sure the neighbor's kid didn't leave their bike laying in the driveway before you be nice and start clearing it.

Blower ate that bike and none of the shear pins let go, shattered a damn drive gear instead.

-Joe

17 Beta 250RR/RE
09 Husky WR177
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Gots_a_sol  
Unread
  (#11)
Suddenly Superstitious!!!

January 25, 2016, 11:51 PM

So I like the 24 inch craftsman I picked up for $700. You can ask Dodge, he borrowed it yesterday and this morning. I would have likely gone a little bigger, but not into the thousand dollar range. This one worked very well. I stalled it once on pure slush/snow/ice. And I packed it full twice. Both times I could have slowed down a bit and prevented it easily enough. I was just testing it.

Something to note. It does NOT have a battery. It does have an electric start. Hook it up via a power cord and you can start it. Dodge figured that out. It was starting on the second pull so I hadn't played with it much.

It took about 30 minutes from ripping open the box to having it ready to use. Pretty easy setup. Don't forget to add oil. It comes with some, but needs more to be run.

The 24 inch dual stage snow blowers were running 600-700. This was what they had in stock on Monday night. I had been eyeing a 248-sih CC one that was 26 or 28 inches. This storm was at the upper end of it's limits, but it chugged through the snow just fine. I even ran it down the street cleaning up and did the driveways of some neighbors. I give it 2 thumbs up!

I want my baby back, baby back, baby back....Chileeeeee's bay back...
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to MudDawg  
Unread
  (#12)
Track Day addict

January 25, 2016, 11:57 PM

I have a single stage. Easier to store if you are short on space, but it was no match for this much snow. 2"-6" is when it is at it's best. Works OK from 6-8". Is helpful from 8-10". Beyond that it just can't handle it, although you can slice it down with a shovel and then blow it somewhere.

Mine probably would have been OK if I went out at least 3 times for this storm. I only went out twice and had to do a lot of shoveling / slicing the first time. Second time there was just 5-6" left and it took care of that pretty well.

I know folks West and North of DC got a good amount of snow last year, but I don't think I even started mine once here in Alexandria last year. It can be a pain to keep it winterized and running well when you only use it zero to three times a year.

With that said, it is a Toro 20" and got me through 8 Wisconsin winters and 3 winters here with some maintenance (paddles and scraper bar replaced once, but need it again now).

Dale - 2004 SV 650 track, 2003 R1 track, 2007 Tuono
Unread
  (#13)
Your Ad Here

January 26, 2016, 12:52 AM

Whatever you get, make sure it's a two stage system minimum. A single stage, with anything more than 3" of fluff you'll want to fling it across the yard and end up grabbing a shovel.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

- Nicolo Machiavelli 1469-1527

Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#14)
Ballaugh Bridge

January 26, 2016, 06:50 AM

On Craigslist I found an older Ariens 7hp Tecumseh-engined 24" two stage for $275. It gets the job done. Pull starts just fine. It's an older model with an adjustable carb. There's no reason one shouldn't start easily in the cold if tuned properly.

Ariens are not rebranded machines. The are a primary manufacturer, branded as Ariens and Sno-Tek. Manufacturers source the engines from other companies.

2012-2013 Snow Blowers - Who Makes What? Craftsman, Ariens, Cub Cadet, Toro, Troy-Bilt, Snapper, Yardman, MTD Pro, Honda, Yard-Machines and MTD? - MovingSnow.com

'08 MARRC Expert Racer of the Year
2009 #3 Combined Overall Championship

Unread
  (#15)
GP Racer

January 26, 2016, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phogroian View Post
Last time I rented one it was 475.00? for 8hrs. They went off the clock on the machine and it sat at my house for a few days til they picked it back up. That was the dead of summer though. I am sure a rental company gets a good profit from storms like these due to the demand. It'd make sense for them to charge a minimum that only worked for a company doing snow removal. Otherwise they are losing money.

----------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaTorch7 View Post
So in summary you're a little bitch, nobody believes your bitchass about anything, you look like a bitch, you sound like a whiny bitch and you've probably been a bitch for a long time.

All I want to know, how old were you when you realized you were a bitch? or did someone else have to tell you?

The only thing you can Jocky is the keyboard, so why dont you stfu Bitch