DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 548
0 members and 548 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
So, I'm looking for some help to get rolling again
Unread
  (#1)
no one's blowing up moons

So, I'm looking for some help to get rolling again - May 16, 2016, 02:39 PM

Well, the Bonneville has been sitting since Sept '13. Now that the rain might be letting up for longer that 20 minutes at a time I'd like to start riding it again but three years is a long time and it's gonna need help.

I've got a replacement battery to be charged but no place to charge it since it's not supposed to be done in a residence. I'm guessing there's a few other things that need to get done, drain (maybe clean?) the tank, check tires etc. . . . Oh and there's an inspection to pass.

I don't actually know what all has to be done but I am looking for someone that can do it without the hefty 'Authorized Triumph Dealer' price (I don't mind a reasonable cost but those guys?) and without the "you didn't go to one of our service centers" idiot light permanently on.

Can anybody point me to somewhere this can get done? I have some hard budget limitations and a 'no parking lot work' condo policy in Alexandria just making things harder.

It's been awhile since there was any info on Triumph work around here so thanks for the help, guys.

Physics always wins

. . . . so get that helmet cam! . . . . . . Because the D-K Effect is an STD .http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning...3Kruger_effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slider View Post
This is what happens when weak minded adults allow children to make decisions. You get stupid shit like this.
unintentional accidental

DISCLAIMER: Yes, I am socially disabled so some things do need to be explained to me.

2013 Suzuki TU250XL3
2010 Triumph Bonneville - I love that fucking bike . . . . Om nom nom nom . . .-Fitz
2009 Suzuki TU250XK9 - KBC Sep 2013
2001 Honda Rebel CMX - KBC Mar 2010

http://flexyourrights.org/
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Railing!

May 16, 2016, 03:40 PM

Battery isn't supposed to be charged in a residence? Well that's some right bullshit. Not sure how long a battery swap would take, but I'd just do that in the parking lot anyway so you can ride the bike to a shop unless the tires are absolutely trashed. If they're original from 2010 they could be dangerous if the bike has been exposed to the elements the whole time.

I've been happy @ Brooks Cycle in Chantilly, but there are a number of decent shops here (RnR and Gemini to name a couple) I just haven't been to them myself.

Motorcycles of Dulles is actually a very nice Triumph dealership in Sterling. I've only bought parts and ridden bikes there, but everyone I've interacted with has been pretty cool.
Unread
  (#3)
Track Day addict

May 16, 2016, 03:55 PM

I live in Alexandria City. I can charge your battery in my garage. Drop it off one day and pick it up the next (or morning and evening same day - whatever). Should take 5 minutes to install at your condo, so I can't imagine they will give you any crap over that. I might even deliver it as an excuse to take the Tuono out if the weather is nice. Working from home, I don't get to ride as much as I would like.

If you are interested, send me a PM.

Dale - 2004 SV 650 track, 2003 R1 track, 2007 Tuono
Unread
  (#4)
Suddenly Superstitious!!!

May 16, 2016, 09:32 PM

If it's been sitting with fuel in it....yeah, it's going to likely need the carbs & tank drained and cleaned. Just FYI.

I want my baby back, baby back, baby back....Chileeeeee's bay back...
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to MudDawg  
Unread
  (#5)
SRWJTS SGT-At-Arms

May 17, 2016, 12:23 AM

I can't speak to a shop, but from a riding skills standpoint, make sure you freshen up some in a parking lot first. Threshold braking, low speed maneuvers, etc.

Glad to see you're doing well enough to get back into it

How're you feeling?

-Fitz

2016 Harley Softail Slim S
2012 Harley Ultra Limited in Ultra Annoying Orange Sold!
2012 V-Strom 1000 Sold!
2009 Buell 1125R Sold!
2005 Superhawk Sold!
2001 Superhawk Abandoned!
1981 CB650C Destroyed!

Brace Yourselves... the cries of "It's too cold to ride" are coming...
Unread
  (#6)

May 17, 2016, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatle View Post
Battery isn't supposed to be charged in a residence?
I should have said initialized. Not just a regular charge so there's off-gassing, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MudDawg View Post
If it's been sitting with fuel in it....yeah, it's going to likely need the carbs & tank drained and cleaned. Just FYI.
2010 Mag so it's FI. Not that that doesn't have it's own problems but no carbs to do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
I can't speak to a shop, but from a riding skills standpoint, make sure you freshen up some in a parking lot first. Threshold braking, low speed maneuvers, etc.
Yes sir (why isn't there a 'salute' smiley? (no, not that kind of salute)) I'm taking the time to do it right.
Quote:
Glad to see you're doing well enough to get back into it

How're you feeling?
Feeling ok (except for the bike not being road ready)
I walk funny now (and not for the good reason)
I still need a cane for stairs and outside so I'll never be able to go back to my job. But that just means I'll have to invent one. (no income until I do)

Life is different now, (shrug) I'm still figuring it out. Funny, since I hadn't finished figuring out from before this change.

Physics always wins

. . . . so get that helmet cam! . . . . . . Because the D-K Effect is an STD .http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning...3Kruger_effect

Quote:
This is what happens when weak minded adults allow children to make decisions. You get stupid shit like this.
unintentional accidental

DISCLAIMER: Yes, I am socially disabled so some things do need to be explained to me.

2013 Suzuki TU250XL3
2010 Triumph Bonneville - I love that fucking bike . . . . Om nom nom nom . . .-Fitz

Last edited by lam@dcsf; May 17, 2016 at 07:22 AM..
Unread
  (#7)
Cager

May 17, 2016, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lam@dcsf View Post
Life is different now, (shrug) I'm still figuring it out. Funny, since I hadn't finished figuring out from before this change.
No shit...

-J. Beaver
--bike-less for now
Unread
  (#8)
Stop light racer...

May 17, 2016, 09:49 AM

I sent you a PM.

Sounds like a new battery, a fluid pump and dump, and maybe some new tires would get you back on the road. Easy enough.

- Norway Daily, 90' VFR750, V4 Touring Beast
- USA Daily, 08' Versys - Urban Assault vehicle
- Toy, 02' Ducati 900ss - Loud and angry noises
- Toy, 89' FZR600 - Raw Inline Deathbox
- Project, 91' CB250 - Goal: lightweight city bike
- Project, 79' CB350 - Finally runs, now to finish

- Sold, Red 94' VS800 - Loud as F@*$
* R.I.P. Blue 06' SV650, murdered by DC!
* R.I.P. Black 98' FZR600, murdered by DC!
- Sold, Red 81' GS650
- Sold, Black 81' CM400T
Unread
  (#9)

May 17, 2016, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnbell View Post
I sent you a PM.
Sorry, I took time to post in Heist's Politics du jour thread.

PM replied.

Physics always wins

Quote:
unintentional accidental

2013 Suzuki TU250XL3

Unread
  (#10)

May 20, 2016, 07:00 PM

A big shout out to pnbell. Got the new battery initialized at his shop and brought it over. Got the old gas out and the new gas in. Bike started! Tires were so-o-o lo-o-o-w. He rode it carefully to get some air and back (definitely quicker) Checked out all the "is it gonna kill anyone" stuff and - Wa La! happy bike, happy rider.

I took it down the street and the inspector told me their computers were down. I did the only thing. I begged. "Can't you do it old school?", I whined. "The sticker is from '13 and you know they'll pop me for that!", I groveled. He grinned at my enthusiasm (and my effrontery) and set me up with a new sticker.

I got more gas and got on the GWMP. (best I could do from here in Friday rush hour)

pnbell, thanks again. I got that truck so let me know if you need a hand with something that doesn't fit on a bike.

Quote:
. . . . make sure you freshen up some in a parking lot first.
Sorry Fitz. I have been practicing with/riding the TU. But now that I got a little Bonneville ride time I'll do my workout in the lot.

Physics always wins

Quote:
unintentional accidental

2013 Suzuki TU250XL3

Unread
  (#11)
SRWJTS SGT-At-Arms

May 21, 2016, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lam@dcsf View Post
A big shout out to pnbell. Got the new battery initialized at his shop and brought it over. Got the old gas out and the new gas in. Bike started! Tires were so-o-o lo-o-o-w. He rode it carefully to get some air and back (definitely quicker) Checked out all the "is it gonna kill anyone" stuff and - Wa La! happy bike, happy rider.

I took it down the street and the inspector told me their computers were down. I did the only thing. I begged. "Can't you do it old school?", I whined. "The sticker is from '13 and you know they'll pop me for that!", I groveled. He grinned at my enthusiasm (and my effrontery) and set me up with a new sticker.

I got more gas and got on the GWMP. (best I could do from here in Friday rush hour)

pnbell, thanks again. I got that truck so let me know if you need a hand with something that doesn't fit on a bike.

Sorry Fitz. I have been practicing with/riding the TU. But now that I got a little Bonneville ride time I'll do my workout in the lot.

Heh. I loved reading your post. I can definitely tell you're happy to be back on two. The excitement shows

Welcome back! Now post pics of that delicious, delicious bonnie. Om nom nom nom.

Today I was putting some upgrades in my bike. The aftermarket company making the shit made it as easy as possible... but FUCK every engineer designing bikes at Harley. What kind of ass-bandit puts a torx bolt in a place where there's 3mm of clearance and NO straight angle through brackets to remove it.

-Fitz

2016 Harley Softail Slim S
2012 Harley Ultra Limited in Ultra Annoying Orange Sold!
2012 V-Strom 1000 Sold!
2009 Buell 1125R Sold!
2005 Superhawk Sold!
2001 Superhawk Abandoned!
1981 CB650C Destroyed!

Brace Yourselves... the cries of "It's too cold to ride" are coming...
Unread
  (#12)
Derpetologist

May 21, 2016, 10:27 AM

Congrats!

*Not intended to be a factual statement.
Unread
  (#13)
Stop light racer...

May 21, 2016, 03:05 PM

Glad I could help and glad the inspector was decent to you. Always nice to get a bike back on the road and that's a great little bike you have.
Cheers!

- Norway Daily, 90' VFR750, V4 Touring Beast
- USA Daily, 08' Versys - Urban Assault vehicle
- Toy, 02' Ducati 900ss - Loud and angry noises
- Toy, 89' FZR600 - Raw Inline Deathbox
- Project, 91' CB250 - Goal: lightweight city bike
- Project, 79' CB350 - Finally runs, now to finish

- Sold, Red 94' VS800 - Loud as F@*$
* R.I.P. Blue 06' SV650, murdered by DC!
* R.I.P. Black 98' FZR600, murdered by DC!
- Sold, Red 81' GS650
- Sold, Black 81' CM400T