DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 219
3 members and 216 guests
Heist, MrDan, RRonin
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
So much for nuclear security
Unread
  (#1)
whats in your drink?

Location: Mineral VA. If you know where it is you can pass go
So much for nuclear security - October 25, 2006, 11:10 AM

Drug Raid Yields Los Alamos Documents

By LARA JAKES JORDAN, Associated Press Writer

document.write(getElapsed("20061025T100603Z"));6 hours agoUPDATED 54 MINUTES AGO
WASHINGTON - A drug bust at a trailer park in New Mexico turned up what appeared to be classified documents taken from the Los Alamos nuclear weapons laboratory, authorities said Tuesday.
Local police found the documents while arresting a man suspected of domestic violence and dealing methamphetamine from his mobile home, said Sgt. Chuck Ney of the Los Alamos, N.M., Municipal Police Department. The documents were discovered during a search of the man's records for evidence of his drug business, Ney said.
Police alerted the FBI to the secret documents, which agents traced back to a woman linked to the drug dealer, officials said. The woman is a contract employee at Los Alamos National Laboratory, according to an FBI official who spoke on condition of anonymity because of the sensitive nature of the case.
The official would not describe the documents except to say that they appeared to contain classified material and were stored on a computer file.
FBI special agent Bill Elwell in Albuquerque, N.M., confirmed that a search warrant was executed on Friday night, but he refused to discuss details.
"We do have an investigation with regard to the matter, but our standard is we do not discuss pending investigations," Elwell said.
A spokesman for the Los Alamos National Laboratory, in Los Alamos, N.M., declined to comment.
Los Alamos has a history of high-profile security problems in the past decade, with the most notable the case of nuclear scientist Wen Ho Lee. After years of accusations, Lee pleaded guilty in a plea bargain to one count of mishandling nuclear secrets at the lab.
In 2004, the lab was essentially shut down after an inventory showed that two computer disks containing nuclear secrets were missing. A year later the lab concluded that it was just a mistake and the disks never existed.
But the incident highlighted sloppy inventory control and security failures at the nuclear weapons lab. And the Energy Department began moving toward a five-year program to create a so-called diskless environment at Los Alamos to prevent any classified material being carried outside the lab.
Even though Los Alamos is now under new management, Danielle Brian, executive director of the watchdog group Project on Government Oversight, said the lab has not done much to clean up its act.
"Los Alamos has always seemed to be rewarded for its screw-ups," Brian said. "We're waiting with bated breath to see if anything has changed."
The idea that police found classified documents at a home where a drug sting was being conducted is disturbing, she said.
"The problem is when you actually have those materials that are supposed to be protected inside the lab and you find them outside the lab in the hands of criminals _ that should worry everybody," Brian said.
The FBI and the U.S. attorney's office in Albuquerque were "evaluating the information obtained as a result of the search warrant," Elwell said.
The federal charge of unauthorized removal and retention of classified material is a misdemeanor that carries a maximum sentence of a year in prison and up to a $100,000 fine.
___
Associated Press writers Seth Borenstein in Washington and Sue Holmes in Albuquerque contributed to this report.

Tell 'em Large Marge sent ya!
X
Take care of new riders, we were them, and they will be us.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Signed up for Track Days!

October 25, 2006, 12:40 PM

New Mexico, the state that rides the short bus
Unread
  (#3)
Agitator

October 25, 2006, 12:50 PM

When i was living in los alamos it was weird, you basically have an odd environment for crime. Start with a town that has the highest average education level in the world (something like 25% of the citizens have PhD's), give the town an average income level 200-300% HIGHER than the surrounding area, put it in the middle of one of the least educated and employed areas of the country, and stir seasoning with a large quantity of spoiled youths with absolutely nothing to do = obvious growth area for drug related activities

all that isolation and boredom yields an increase in quasi-"victimless" (read drug usage) crime which brings with it the distribution and production aspects.

I'm suprised there isn't more problems there, probably detered by the fact they have the largest per capita police force of any city in the world, and the uber-protective paramilitary security force station a mile away with everything from sniper teams to armored personnel carriers

Marc
CCS Amateur #851
2001 Ducati 850RS
2006 SV650 Racebike
2010 CBR1000RR

...and because sometimes you want to go fast, but need 4 wheels:
2009 Nissan GT-R
2003 Nissan 350Z (for sale, $11k OBO)
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to birdman  
Unread
  (#4)
Retired to most ...

October 25, 2006, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boston-birdman
When i was living in los alamos it was weird, you basically have an odd environment for crime. Start with a town that has the highest average education level in the world (something like 25% of the citizens have PhD's), give the town an average income level 200-300% HIGHER than the surrounding area, put it in the middle of one of the least educated and employed areas of the country, and stir seasoning with a large quantity of spoiled youths with absolutely nothing to do = obvious growth area for drug related activities

all that isolation and boredom yields an increase in quasi-"victimless" (read drug usage) crime which brings with it the distribution and production aspects.

I'm suprised there isn't more problems there, probably detered by the fact they have the largest per capita police force of any city in the world, and the uber-protective paramilitary security force station a mile away with everything from sniper teams to armored personnel carriers
did you just say?

God Speed Jeff! You'll never be forgotten.

BOOSTZX3 : in all seriousness head injuries ain't no joke. I've had around 10 concussions and now I ride a Buell Don't let it happen to you!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to JohnnySpeed1KRR  
Unread
  (#5)
rdg
best avatar in the biz

October 25, 2006, 01:03 PM

security issues at Los Alamos are nothing new.
Unread
  (#6)
singin sweet home alabama

October 25, 2006, 01:09 PM

Guess their security problems weren't all Clinton's fault.

"No race has ever been won in the first corner, but plenty have been lost there."
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via MSN to DvlsAdvc8  
Unread
  (#7)
Ducati addict

October 25, 2006, 01:59 PM

Quote:

Couple completely non essential quesitons:
Do you have a PhD? (since you lived there)
Did you ever get the sniper squad called on you? (that would be quasi-cool)
How do you know this random a$$ sh!t about the town you lived in?
I don't even know the population of my town.
Unread
  (#8)
Agitator

October 25, 2006, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matter Of Fact
Couple completely non essential quesitons:
Do you have a PhD? (since you lived there)
Did you ever get the sniper squad called on you? (that would be quasi-cool)
How do you know this random a$$ sh!t about the town you lived in?
I don't even know the population of my town.
1. no, I don't have my phd yet
2. nope, they weren't called on me...but they were practicing mesa to mesa using MILES gear on a woman I worked with, she had to wear the laser reciever gear all day...out of the blue she would beep/buzz and then a second or two later hear the shot...she said it was rather unnerving, but they needed to see where they had accessable shots into that building....watching the security forces practice taking buildings randomly was also fun, though I never got to volunteer to pretend to be a bad guy
3. I don't know how I know half the shit I do...I just...know
but seriously, if you spend any time there, you pick up this random trivia...and see first hand the annoying youths that live there...a$$holes I tell you

funny story, last time I was there, I was reading a book in the park and this group of kids (approximate age range 10-13) walks by...one of them, I shit you not, had his pants around his ankles. I mean, there is wearing pants low and showing a few inches of boxer on top...but really, you have to draw the line somewhere. at first I thought it was a joke...but he just kept walking around like that...weird I tell you, weird

Marc
CCS Amateur #851
2001 Ducati 850RS
2006 SV650 Racebike
2010 CBR1000RR

...and because sometimes you want to go fast, but need 4 wheels:
2009 Nissan GT-R
2003 Nissan 350Z (for sale, $11k OBO)
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to birdman  
Unread
  (#9)
rdg
best avatar in the biz

October 25, 2006, 02:19 PM

Quote:
I mean, there is wearing pants low and showing a few inches of boxer on top...but really, you have to draw the line somewhere. at first I thought it was a joke...but he just kept walking around like that...weird I tell you, weird

What you call weird, he calls progressive.
Unread
  (#10)
Ducati addict

October 26, 2006, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevegula
What you call weird, he calls progressive.
HAHA, it's because of buzzwords like that these kids get away with the sh!t they do...
I'm gonna start dragging my pants behind me, attached by a single shoe string to my right ankle.

Last edited by Matter Of Fact; October 26, 2006 at 09:53 AM..
Unread
  (#11)
rdg
best avatar in the biz

October 26, 2006, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matter Of Fact
HAHA, it's because of buzzwords like that these kids get away with the sh!t they do...
I'm gonna start dragging my pants behind me, attached by a single shoe string to my right ankle.
You people and your conservative right winged politics, why can't you be forward thinking like the rest of us?
Unread
  (#12)
What's today? aah fuck it

October 26, 2006, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cujo
New Mexico, the state that rides the short bus
no, no...its -

New Mexico: Cleaner than regular Mexico