DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 583
4 members and 579 guests
2blueyam, beatle, Slider, tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Socialized Medicine ...
Unread
  (#1)
Resident Rodent

Socialized Medicine ... - October 14, 2008, 01:51 PM

So awesome, that Britain's national health service sends its staff to private doctors.

Beware ...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...privately.html

by Graham Tibbetts
Last Updated: 3:19AM BST 14 Oct 2008

The money was used to bring in physiotherapists to help workers recover from muscular-skeletal injuries at West Suffolk Hospital in Bury St Edmunds.
Bosses said it prevented them from leapfrogging NHS patients and enabled them to return to work more quickly.
However, the private treatment, which amounted to 12,116 for 271 appointments over the past year, was described by critics as "shocking".
Mark Wallace of the TaxPayers' Alliance said: "Their staff should have to wait like everybody else.
"Perhaps if they experienced it as their customers - that is the taxpayer - experienced it, they might be a little keener to improve their waiting times."
Frances Jackson, a patient who receives physiotherapy treatment from the hospital, said: "It's great that staff are being catered for because there is a need for it - they do get work-related injuries which can lead to osteoarthritis.
"But what about everybody else? There's an amazing amount of people who can't afford private physiotherapy.
"They need to appoint more physiotherapists and bring the waiting lists down."
Jan Bloomfield, executive director of workforce and communications at the hospital, said: "In line with national best practice, and with policies adopted by other major employers, we offer a physiotherapy service to help staff with specific work-related problems.
"Staff must meet very precise criteria to receive the service, which offers good value for money as it helps them get back to work quickly so they can continue to provide high quality care to our patients, avoiding the need to draft in expensive locum care."
She added: "Funding for the service is generated by our occupational health team, who go into businesses to advise on health and safety, and is not taken from budgets set aside for patient care.
"We are currently looking at whether it would be cost-effective to extend the service to offer different types of rehabilitation to staff."

- Rat

"Ride to the sound of the guns."

http://www.magicratproductions.com
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Nubbs ban yourself!

October 14, 2008, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic-Rat View Post
So awesome, that Britain's national health service sends its staff to private doctors.

Beware ...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...privately.html

by Graham Tibbetts
Last Updated: 3:19AM BST 14 Oct 2008

The money was used to bring in physiotherapists to help workers recover from muscular-skeletal injuries at West Suffolk Hospital in Bury St Edmunds.
Bosses said it prevented them from leapfrogging NHS patients and enabled them to return to work more quickly.
However, the private treatment, which amounted to 12,116 for 271 appointments over the past year, was described by critics as "shocking".
Mark Wallace of the TaxPayers' Alliance said: "Their staff should have to wait like everybody else.
"Perhaps if they experienced it as their customers - that is the taxpayer - experienced it, they might be a little keener to improve their waiting times."
Frances Jackson, a patient who receives physiotherapy treatment from the hospital, said: "It's great that staff are being catered for because there is a need for it - they do get work-related injuries which can lead to osteoarthritis.
"But what about everybody else? There's an amazing amount of people who can't afford private physiotherapy.
"They need to appoint more physiotherapists and bring the waiting lists down."
Jan Bloomfield, executive director of workforce and communications at the hospital, said: "In line with national best practice, and with policies adopted by other major employers, we offer a physiotherapy service to help staff with specific work-related problems.
"Staff must meet very precise criteria to receive the service, which offers good value for money as it helps them get back to work quickly so they can continue to provide high quality care to our patients, avoiding the need to draft in expensive locum care."
She added: "Funding for the service is generated by our occupational health team, who go into businesses to advise on health and safety, and is not taken from budgets set aside for patient care.
"We are currently looking at whether it would be cost-effective to extend the service to offer different types of rehabilitation to staff."
I don't pretend to know all the in's and out's of what needs to be done in our health care system.
I will say that I am not that impressed with many of the doctors I have been to in my plan. My current doctor seems to really care and has spent more time talking with me and making sure I am actually ok than a doctor has in a long time.
Most seem to just be interested in getting in as many patients as they can in a day.
I will say one thing, insurance that doctors have to pay for mal-practice is hurting all of us.

To punish and enslave!
2003 GSXR1K
2008 HD Night Train
religion is just a misspelling of superstition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi
Once again I forgive you for your self-righteousness, bigotry and prejudice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillie View Post
I'll also thank them for proving that you don't need the force to get a woman to make you a sammich.
"They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security."
-Benjamin Franklin
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYpOF...embedded#at=36
http://www.bachbio.com/gunsavelives.htm
Unread
  (#3)
Resident Rodent

October 14, 2008, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2sport View Post
I will say one thing, insurance that doctors have to pay for mal-practice is hurting all of us.
Agree.

We need to fix the legal system ... not permanently destroy the medical one.

- Rat

"Ride to the sound of the guns."

http://www.magicratproductions.com
Unread
  (#4)
GP Champ

October 14, 2008, 03:26 PM

There is no perfect health care system. But the American system definately sucks. Yes, people in the UK will sometimes get stuck on a waitlist for some random procedures but at the same time, things like medical bills related bacruptcies are a completely foreign concept for them.

I also hate how in the US doctors are often salemen drumming up business. As an example, when my mom broke her leg, she clearly stated what insurance she has and asked them to work within the confines and limitations of the policy. The insurance was supposed to cover everything and it wasn't supposed to be a problem. But after the fact, when insurance company went through the bills, it turns out that the Doc chose to use some more expensive brand name stuff even though there was no reason not to use generic, leaving my mom to pay some substantial bills that covered the diffrence ($X,XXX). My parents can cover that expense, but alot of people can't, and I would hate to have something more than a broken bone happen to me in the US under my crappy Cigna coverage. You never know when you might get screwed. True, one can always be more practive and make sure that one clears the cost of every bandaid with the insurance company first, but the system prays on people that are in vulnerable state of mind because they are thinking about their injuries lying in the hospital bed instead of their insurance policy indiosycracies.

That said, I'm not really sure how I would go about fixing this mess.
Unread
  (#5)
GP Champ

October 14, 2008, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witold View Post
There is no perfect health care system. But the American system definately sucks. Yes, people in the UK will sometimes get stuck on a waitlist for some random procedures but at the same time, things like medical bills related bacruptcies are a completely foreign concept for them.

I also hate how in the US doctors are often salemen drumming up business. As an example, when my mom broke her leg, she clearly stated what insurance she has and asked them to work within the confines and limitations of the policy. The insurance was supposed to cover everything and it wasn't supposed to be a problem. But after the fact, when insurance company went through the bills, it turns out that the Doc chose to use some more expensive brand name stuff even though there was no reason not to use generic, leaving my mom to pay some substantial bills that covered the diffrence ($X,XXX). My parents can cover that expense, but alot of people can't, and I would hate to have something more than a broken bone happen to me in the US under my crappy Cigna coverage. You never know when you might get screwed. True, one can always be more practive and make sure that one clears the cost of every bandaid with the insurance company first, but the system prays on people that are in vulnerable state of mind because they are thinking about their injuries lying in the hospital bed instead of their insurance policy indiosycracies.

Don't worry if Obama Binladen gets elected we will have a socialized health care and then we will have to wait ONE effing month just to make an appointment.
Obama the terrorist of healthcare

Buell (American Motorcycles)
"Had enough rice? Try some apple pie."
Unread
  (#6)
Nubbs ban yourself!

October 14, 2008, 03:42 PM

Quote:

I think sometimes these are little scams the doctors play with insurance. They know many times insurance will subtract huge amounts of their charges but if they put stuff on their that they won't cover at all they will get full price. To me this is again a problem for the legal system and something they shouldn't be allowed to do unless there is a good reason.

With that said our medical system and pharmaceutical are in bed together and need a divorce. They prescribe the next great and sometimes very expensive thing their dealer brings to them. We don't care so much about curing anything but treating with expensive drugs.

When I had surgery I made sure the doctor accepted my insurance.
After the surgery I got a bill from the gasser for the full charge of his service because he didn't accept my insurance.
Luckily for me i called my doctor and told him what was happening and he said he would take care of it and I never heard about it again.
To me if I choose you because you accept my insurance why would you use someone who didn't.

To punish and enslave!
2003 GSXR1K
2008 HD Night Train

Quote:
Quote:
I'll also thank them for proving that you don't need the force to get a woman to make you a sammich.
"They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security."
-Benjamin Franklin

Last edited by n2sport; October 14, 2008 at 03:50 PM..
Unread
  (#7)
Nubbs ban yourself!

October 14, 2008, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buell2001b View Post
Don't worry if Obama Binladen gets elected we will have a socialized health care and then we will have to wait ONE effing month just to make an appointment.
you really need to go read something besides redneck journal!

http://www.nationaljournal.com/njmag...80503_8652.php

To punish and enslave!
2003 GSXR1K
2008 HD Night Train

Quote:
Quote:
-Benjamin Franklin
Unread
  (#8)
Like a clown car on fire

October 14, 2008, 03:49 PM

I'm all for any healthcare system that doesn't require me to sit in the little room with my pants off for 20 minutes waiting on the doctor, having 4 nurses accidentally walk in.

-Chloroform-
For when she doesn't know she wants it.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Thwack  
Unread
  (#9)
Nubbs ban yourself!

October 14, 2008, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thwack View Post
I'm all for any healthcare system that doesn't require me to sit in the little room with my pants off for 20 minutes waiting on the doctor, having 4 nurses accidentally walk in.
Hmmm, what doc do you go to????

To punish and enslave!
2003 GSXR1K
2008 HD Night Train

Quote:
Quote:
-Benjamin Franklin
Unread
  (#10)
Like a clown car on fire

October 14, 2008, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2sport View Post
Hmmm, what doc do you go to????
I didn't say hot or even female nurses there chief.

-Chloroform-
For when she doesn't know she wants it.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Thwack  
Unread
  (#11)
Nubbs ban yourself!

October 14, 2008, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thwack View Post
I didn't say hot or even female nurses there chief.
I know there I go assuming, sorry!

To punish and enslave!
2003 GSXR1K
2008 HD Night Train

Quote:
Quote:
-Benjamin Franklin
Unread
  (#12)
GP Champ

October 14, 2008, 03:59 PM

You guys should watch http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontl...roundtheworld/

It's a little documentary where a guy goes to 5 countries to get a better feel for their health care system pros and cons.
Unread
  (#13)
Banned

October 14, 2008, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buell2001b View Post

are you that ignorant, seriously?
Unread
  (#14)
Eddie would go ...

October 14, 2008, 04:03 PM

wow.. cheap shot at socialized health care. Surprised it wasn't pulled from Fox

not all socialized health care is created equal - ever used one? didn't think so....

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud View Post
No one gives a fuck about your puff out your chest bravado.
Unread
  (#15)
Nubbs ban yourself!

October 14, 2008, 04:03 PM

Quote:
You guys should watch http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontl...roundtheworld/

It's a little documentary where a guy goes to 5 countries to get a better feel for their health care system pros and cons.
2 of my co-workers just came back from our philippines office.
1 of them was sick all the time from the pollution and went to the hospital. She had some real horror stories! Grass is always greener until you step into it!

To punish and enslave!
2003 GSXR1K
2008 HD Night Train

Quote:
Quote:
-Benjamin Franklin