DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 521
0 members and 521 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Sony warns of PlayStation 3 scams
Unread
  (#1)
Face Down @$$ UP

Sony warns of PlayStation 3 scams - November 5, 2006, 11:46 AM

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
SAN JOSE, Calif.

Sony Corp. issued a warning Tuesday against false promotional offers for its upcoming PlayStation 3 video game console.
A number of Web sites have been promoting pre-orders on discounted or bulk shipments of the game system - without the cooperation of Sony, the company stated.
Company representatives did not name the sites but suggested consumers can avoid potential scams by purchasing PlayStation products only from authorized retailers and resellers, which includes well-known stores such as GameStop, EB Games, Best Buy and Wal-Mart.

The PlayStation 3 system, with models priced between $500 and $600, is set to go on sale in the U.S. on Nov. 17, though only in limited quantities.
Some authorized stores began taking pre-orders on Oct. 10. At some GameStop and EB Game locations, the orders were snapped up within minutes.
Sony has said it plans to ship 6 million Playstation 3 machines in its fiscal year through March 2007.

"If brains were gas. You wouldnt have enough gas, to drive a piss-ants' motorcycle, half-way around a BB."
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to WvGoDFather Send a message via MSN to WvGoDFather  
Unread
  (#2)
Where am I?

November 5, 2006, 07:10 PM

Those ads are all over the place. I've seen lots of them offering preorders if you buy some crap their selling. I'll just wait until March or April to get one, like almost everybody else. Hopefully they'll have all the bugs worked out by then.

16 FZ-07
07 Gixxer 750 *SOLD*
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
Squid Rider 4 Life!!

November 5, 2006, 07:45 PM

who the fugg is going to shell out $500 bucks
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to ArRrR6  
Unread
  (#4)
Site Owner

November 5, 2006, 10:44 PM

600 freaking dollars? you gotta be kidding me.

imagoplay mario bros.

(O|||||||O) and (0OO\(||||)(||||)/OO0)

Help support DCSportbikes.net! Become a Premier Member today!

Katie #135.

Nudist: If Ben isnt still riding me, then I need it
B: that sounds odd
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to ClemsonJeeper  
Unread
  (#5)
Owner of the Site Owner

November 6, 2006, 06:45 AM

xbox was the same... at least ps3will r0x0r my s0x0r

-

I tow 747s

"gixrB: I like it hard, with a lot of feel"
Unread
  (#6)
Street Bonk Bum.....

November 6, 2006, 06:59 AM

its because the ps3 has blue ray thats why its so expensive. blue ray is going to replace DVD's so get ready to repurchase all your movie collections over again too.
Unread
  (#7)
Put yo mouth on the curb!

November 6, 2006, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWZelibor
its because the ps3 has blue ray thats why its so expensive. blue ray is going to replace DVD's so get ready to repurchase all your movie collections over again too.
While blu ray is one of the reasons why the ps3 is so expensive, it's definetely not set in stone that blu ray will replace DVD. There is a competing format HD-DVD that is backed by other manufacturers (like toshiba and microsoft), and microsoft is releasing an add on HD-DVD drive this month for the xbox 360 for $200. This will bring the price of the xbox 360+ HD-DVD drive to $600 or the same as a new ps3 (which technology is already a year old since it was delayed a year to include the blu-ray player).

The whole blu ray vs. HD-DVD format war is a complete mess currently like the old beta vs. VHS format war in the 80s (which on a side note, sony was backing beta, which lost in that conflict). Technologically speaking, blu-ray has a a higher theoretically storage capacity, 200GB per side, or 4 x 50GB layers vs. the 60GB per side or 4 x 15GB layers of the HD-DVD. They both use the same blue light laser but the aperature is different. The blu-ray's smaller aperature allows closer tracks and therefore more data on the disc but becuase of this it has to have a much thinner coating, which requires a more expensive coating so it will be as scratch resistant as current DVDs and also requires factories to retool their assembly lines. HD-DVD on the other hand uses the same coating depth and material as regular DVD so it is currently cheaper to produce. Another thing to consider also is that while blu ray clearly has more storage capacity, HD-DVD uses a different compressions scheme called VC-1 (also supports MPEG-2 & 4 i believe) which many say is superior to the MPEG-2 used in blu-ray (MPEG-2 is what is used to compress DVDs currently).

If you choose one of the formats now you're really rolling the dice since one really has to become the defacto standard within a year or so. Although sony by packaging it with the ps3 is obviosuly trying to win the battle through their console, microsoft is trying to win with providing the HD-DVD add-on the xbox 360 (which has some issues of it's own like currently not supporting a HDMI out so 1080p is only supported via component or VGA out and many HD-TVs only support 1080p over HDMI).

Why do i feel like boston-birdman after this post?

Greg

2003 SV650
1990 FZR 400 - Sold

Last edited by Xechs; November 6, 2006 at 08:59 AM..
Unread
  (#8)
Owner & Creator

November 6, 2006, 08:59 AM

im sticking to my atari!
Unread
  (#9)
Agitator

November 6, 2006, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xechs
..Join the dark side of you know you want to

Marc
CCS Amateur #851
2001 Ducati 850RS
2006 SV650 Racebike
2010 CBR1000RR

...and because sometimes you want to go fast, but need 4 wheels:
2009 Nissan GT-R
2003 Nissan 350Z (for sale, $11k OBO)
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to birdman  
Unread
  (#10)
Owner & Creator

November 6, 2006, 09:05 AM

Unread
  (#11)
Street Bonk Bum.....

November 6, 2006, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xechs
While blu ray is one of the reasons why the ps3 is so expensive, it's definetely not set in stone that blu ray will replace DVD. There is a competing format HD-DVD that is backed by other manufacturers (like toshiba and microsoft), and microsoft is releasing an add on HD-DVD drive this month for the xbox 360 for $200. This will bring the price of the xbox 360+ HD-DVD drive to $600 or the same as a new ps3 (which technology is already a year old since it was delayed a year to include the blu-ray player).

The whole blu ray vs. HD-DVD format war is a complete mess currently like the old beta vs. VHS format war in the 80s (which on a side note, sony was backing beta, which lost in that conflict). Technologically speaking, blu-ray has a a higher theoretically storage capacity, 200GB per side, or 4 x 50GB layers vs. the 60GB per side or 4 x 15GB layers of the HD-DVD. They both use the same blue light laser but the aperature is different. The blu-ray's smaller aperature allows closer tracks and therefore more data on the disc but becuase of this it has to have a much thinner coating, which requires a more expensive coating so it will be as scratch resistant as current DVDs and also requires factories to retool their assembly lines. HD-DVD on the other hand uses the same coating depth and material as regular DVD so it is currently cheaper to produce. Another thing to consider also is that while blu ray clearly has more storage capacity, HD-DVD uses a different compressions scheme called VC-1 (also supports MPEG-2 & 4 i believe) which many say is superior to the MPEG-2 used in blu-ray (MPEG-2 is what is used to compress DVDs currently).

If you choose one of the formats now you're really rolling the dice since one really has to become the defacto standard within a year or so. Although sony by packaging it with the ps3 is obviosuly trying to win the battle through their console, microsoft is trying to win with providing the HD-DVD add-on the xbox 360 (which has some issues of it's own like currently not supporting a HDMI out so 1080p is only supported via component or VGA out and many HD-TVs only support 1080p over HDMI).

beta was also better than VHS go sony! i havnt commited i just have a feeling that blu-ray will end up on top for the following resons

1. the name sounds cooler than HD-DVD
2. the PS3 is going to blow x-box 360 out of the water(so long as they dont have problems like x-box did)
Unread
  (#12)
Put yo mouth on the curb!

November 6, 2006, 09:17 AM

Quote:
beta was also better than VHS go sony! i havnt commited i just have a feeling that blu-ray will end up on top for the following resons

1. the name sounds cooler than HD-DVD
2. the PS3 is going to blow x-box 360 out of the water(so long as they dont have problems like x-box did)
Yeah beta was a better format back then but lost. Currently I also think blu-ray will win since the ps3 comes with it and many will not buy the add-on for the xbox360, but it really also depends on which stand alone players become more popular also, currenly I think HD-DVD players are somewhat cheaper. They are also supposed to implement some crazy DRM (Digital Rights Management) over blu-ray which will make it difficult to make "backup copies" of the movies as well as only play on approved hardware (HDMI can check certificates of the devices it contacts), I haven't done very much research on this though.

Greg

2003 SV650
1990 FZR 400 - Sold

Unread
  (#13)
Posting Nothing Relevant

November 6, 2006, 11:44 AM

Quote:
VHS = DVD
Beta = Blue Ray

Sony is the creator of blueray, it will never take off, its a another way to make a quick buck off the people who have to have every latest and greatest gadget.

The East Coast Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi
This is America I can shit where I want. FREEDOM!!!
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to eck226 Send a message via AIM to eck226  
Unread
  (#14)
B
It goes to 11.

November 6, 2006, 11:51 AM

A couple of notes.

Xechs just explained the BRay vs. HD-DVD better than I could. That is all as accurate as anyone can be at this time.

BlueRay, I feel, is a superior technology, but as compression algalrithms become better, the necessity for space on which to house content becomes less. Technology (like water) usually follows the path of least resistance, sony's Beta AND UMDs have failed because they consistently try to reinvent the wheel, and INSIST on being proprietary AND expensive. Not a great mix for the average consumer, or anti-trust law.

You can expect BRay discs to be considerably more expensive than an HD disc, though they have considerably more scalability, and dependant on the price of the BRay player, that will decide how well it will do IMO. Just because the UMD was a superior disc platform doesn't mean it did well. Maybe if they had made a home entertainment platform for it, it would have done better.

Sony is the genious that thinks it can do everything better if it follows it's own standard. I am less than convinced of this. I wouldn't put my faith in another one of thier proprietary platforms quite yet.

SV650s for SALE!!!
- 2007 SV650 Racebike-Superbike KWS/Thermosman suspension/Swenz bodywork/All GSXR Parts
- 2009 SV650 Streetbike Race blue with white stripe/No wrecks/fully faired with M4 full system

Shoot me a PM or talk to Nate (Nudist) if you're interested in purchase.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to B  
Unread
  (#15)
Agitator

November 6, 2006, 12:04 PM

the VHS vs. Beta debate, and countless other examples in technology (with the exception of Microsoft/windows, though, you can kinda make the comparison with Apple MacOS)--in the battle between formats, the lower cost, more open source "may not be the best, but does what it needs to do" almost always wins--regardless of whether or not something is the absolute best, price will always drive the vast majority of customers, and those large #'s of sales will always attract ancillary (or primary) products:

VHS was licensed to many more mfg's therefore it became cheaper to step into--therefore content distributers perferred it due to tapping a larger audience therefore beta remained expensive and in lower use

I think we'll see the same thing with blu-ray...my leaning is toward HD-DVD...its out already in force (always a good thing) more manufacturers support it, and the extra capacity (as ben pointed out) isn't all that necessary now. While in the future >60GB per side might be necessary, it isn't now.

I think we'll see the consumer media market go more toward HD-DVD (with the exception of PS3 games--because really, how many people use their consoles as their primary xxx-DVD player...other than gamers?), and Blu-Ray will find its niche in data storage applications where its larger capacity and higher data rate are more applicable

though, I've been WAY wrong before, 8 years ago I thought eBay was the dumbest idea ever (of course, at the time, it was mainly used for niche bs like various collectors items)

Marc
CCS Amateur #851
2001 Ducati 850RS
2006 SV650 Racebike
2010 CBR1000RR

...and because sometimes you want to go fast, but need 4 wheels:
2009 Nissan GT-R
2003 Nissan 350Z (for sale, $11k OBO)
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to birdman