DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 762
3 members and 759 guests
nootherids, Scot, Slider
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Speed Cameras To Come Under Public Review As Cash Cows or Life Saving By Government
Unread
  (#1)
Your Ad Here

Speed Cameras To Come Under Public Review As Cash Cows or Life Saving By Government - July 13, 2011, 09:07 PM

Looks as if this may trigger a precedent in England. And if there, you can expect it will be brought over here and cited.

'Cash cow' speed cameras will be named for transparency drive.

The speed cameras raking in the most money are to be identified for the first time.

Road safety minister Mike Penning said: ‘We want to stop motorists being used as cash cows. For too long information about speed cameras has been hidden in the shadows. This data will end that by clearly showing whether a camera is saving lives or just making money.’

Motorists will be able to see previously unavailable figures showing the number of speeding prosecutions and the accident rate at camera sites.
In a victory for drivers, the move could spell the end for those cameras that do not save lives.

Gatso speed camera on the M11 southbound between junctions 5 and 4 in Essex where there has been an increase in accidents

Although ministers do not have the power to make local authorities switch the cameras off, they expect public pressure will force them to dismantle any shown to be merely money-spinners.
Until now, councils have been reluctant to reveal which cameras brought in the most revenue from fines, with details having to be prised out of them using Freedom of Information laws.
Mike Penning MP said the government don't want information about speed cameras to be hidden any more

Critics say the cameras are used to raise money rather than save lives. The income from fines goes to the Treasury, not the councils responsible for installing and managing them in partnership with the police.
Now local authorities have until July 20 to start publishing the numbers of accidents and casualties at camera sites, both before and after they were installed.

The information will create a league table of Britain’s busiest speed cameras and show their effectiveness in saving lives.

There are now about 6,000 of the cameras in Britain, estimated to be generating £100million a year in fines. Information on collisions and casualties dating back to 1990 will have to be made public.

Research suggests speed cameras have triggered at least 28,000 crashes since 2001. Motorists who spot one ahead often drive erratically, lose concentration and brake suddenly, causing problems for other drivers. More than 80 per cent of drivers say they look at their speedometers rather than the car in front when they approach one.

Launching the transparency drive yesterday, Mr Penning said: ‘This will expose where cameras are and are not doing their job.
‘We can only do what we do with road safety if people believe it isn’t just about raising money but is about saving lives. What this will show is where there weren’t any accidents before, and accidents afterwards are minimal, or may even have gone up because people have reacted differently.
‘But it will also expose where accidents have dropped.’

Peter Roberts, of the Drivers’ Alliance group, said: ‘Speed cameras don’t improve safety. They’re often placed to generate the maximum revenue. Speed is to blame for only 4.7 per cent of accidents.’

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

- Nicolo Machiavelli 1469-1527

Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Knee Draggin!

July 13, 2011, 09:11 PM

just like those over head signs cause people to go from 55 or 65 to 40 mph suddenly just so they can read the sign to find out traffic is doing just fine. But I guess the photo radar makes money for the government and the signs over head make money for who? insurance companies? i donno.

08 GSXR 600 (track), 07 GSXR 600 (race), 07 DRZ 400SM
02 FZ1, 88 Honda Shadow VLX
99 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic (Sold Dec 2010)
Trackdays with: http://www.motorcyclexcitement.com/
Racing blog and info: http://www.jtbskitchen.com/racing
WERA #231
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
Я - Ребенок Люциферов

July 13, 2011, 09:37 PM

lol i always forget that speed cameras main purpose is to reduce accidents....maybe because the areas they are placed tend to be accident free...but maybe high speed areas...

so if the speed limit is for saftey and a area with a speed limit of say 35 average actualy about 50.... with no history of accident.. do you think it should be subject to speed enforcement?

The Nightmare of Summit Point
WERA Nov# 325 / CCS # 326
2016 ZX10R ABS (Street) | 2011 ZX10RR(Race)
2011 R6 (Street & Track) | 2009 WR250F
GunnRunnaz.com|GR on FaceBook | www.2666ad.com|
  Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via MSN to vonstallin  
Unread
  (#4)
Give me the Ban Button!

July 13, 2011, 09:45 PM

I got popped in DC twice in one night and 3 times in one week. $375 to Mr. DC.

MY SPELLING SUCKS....DEAL WITH IT

MyCanikon.net A place to hang out if you are interested in talking photography.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Nubbs Send a message via AIM to Nubbs  
Unread
  (#5)
Cabin Fever

July 13, 2011, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonstallin View Post
lol i always forget that speed cameras main purpose is to reduce accidents....maybe because the areas they are placed tend to be accident free...but maybe high speed areas...

so if the speed limit is for saftey and a area with a speed limit of say 35 average actualy about 50.... with no history of accident.. do you think it should be subject to speed enforcement?

i dont have an answer really, but it should be re-surveyed for an appropriate speed.

the other night i was coming home late, getting close to a construction zone, wasn't sure if the speed cameras were out or not, but slowed down to be safe. as i got closer i see *flash flash flash.
literally the camera was going off on every car!

made me lol and glad i had slowed down.

2000 yamaha R6(wrecked and abandoned)'

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Patient View Post
You wanna talk about learning from someone else's mistake. (ATGATT)
Unread
  (#6)
Your Ad Here

July 14, 2011, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonstallin View Post

Seriously, it's a frigging bullshit racket.
When have you ever seen an accident on:
New York Ave to 50 as you're leaving DC pass the aboretum?
East Capitol Street under the bridge as you head to RFK?
3rd St. Tunnel?
McArthur Ave?
295 past Benning Rd?

And these are just the areas where I know they keep camera cars. I've never seen an accident on these roads except the 3rd Street tunnel and that was much further into the tunnel.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

Unread
  (#7)
Cabin Fever

July 14, 2011, 01:25 AM

i think the retarded thing is people slow down for the camera-pass camera-speed back up

kinda redundant right?

2000 yamaha R6(wrecked and abandoned)'

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Patient View Post
You wanna talk about learning from someone else's mistake. (ATGATT)
Unread
  (#8)
Triple Secks

July 14, 2011, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by devon.818 View Post
i think the retarded thing is people slow down for the camera-pass camera-speed back up

kinda redundant right?
I view them as virtual speed humps.

I believe i can see the future;
because everyday i repeat the
same routine.
Unread
  (#9)
Я - Ребенок Люциферов

July 14, 2011, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heist View Post
Seriously, it's a frigging bullshit racket.
When have you ever seen an accident on:
New York Ave to 50 as you're leaving DC pass the aboretum?
East Capitol Street under the bridge as you head to RFK?
3rd St. Tunnel?
McArthur Ave?
295 past Benning Rd?

And these are just the areas where I know they keep camera cars. I've never seen an accident on these roads except the 3rd Street tunnel and that was much further into the tunnel.
Thats what I was thinking... most of the ones in DC are placed in non-accident kind of areas, but high speed areas.

So it goes back to....

The speed limits are made to create a safe area, but if the area is somewhat safe is the speed cameras just for money or to maintain the law.

The Nightmare of Summit Point
WERA Nov# 325 / CCS # 326
2016 ZX10R ABS (Street) | 2011 ZX10RR(Race)
2011 R6 (Street & Track) | 2009 WR250F
GunnRunnaz.com|GR on FaceBook | www.2666ad.com|
  Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via MSN to vonstallin  
Unread
  (#10)
Nubbs ban yourself!

July 14, 2011, 08:43 AM

Please, haven't you guys been listening to any of the officers on this board at all?

To punish and enslave!
2003 GSXR1K
2008 HD Night Train
religion is just a misspelling of superstition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi
Once again I forgive you for your self-righteousness, bigotry and prejudice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillie View Post
I'll also thank them for proving that you don't need the force to get a woman to make you a sammich.
"They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security."
-Benjamin Franklin
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYpOF...embedded#at=36
http://www.bachbio.com/gunsavelives.htm
Unread
  (#11)
Your Ad Here

July 14, 2011, 07:23 PM

^lol.

Unread
  (#12)
Knee Draggin!

July 15, 2011, 08:28 AM

It is a road tax, nothing more. Anyone in state / local government, police of any flavor who says otherwise is lying.

It’s very simple:
An officer + car can write about 10 tickets an hour at the very most netting - say 250 / ticket = 2500.00

A camera can take, literally, thousands of pictures in an hour and at say 50.00 / ticket * 1000 = $50,000.00. Even if 1/2 are dismissed that is still a net of $25,000.00 / hour; which works 24/7 with no retirement, no health care, no nothing unless someone burns it.

I seriously doubt that any broke ass city such as DC would turn down what they consider "free money". DC has been trying for years to get a commuter tax. I guess the DC government has figured a way to pay for the Escalade’s with 26” Dubs and the $30,000.00 Master P designed stereo installed the city council has been using.
Unread
  (#13)
Derpentine Dealer

July 15, 2011, 08:41 AM

How To Burn A Speed Camera at Kontraband

How's my posting? Please direct all concerns and inquiries to DCSBN's chief content manager, Hollywood, via PM.
Unread
  (#14)
Knee Draggin!

July 15, 2011, 09:27 AM

Lol; When my sister lived in england there was a Gatso on the street in front of her house. In the 9 years she lived there it was burned something like 40 times.
Unread
  (#15)
SRWJTS SGT-At-Arms

July 15, 2011, 09:47 AM

I can't wait to pass one with my new license plate...

<-------

-Fitz

2016 Harley Softail Slim S
2012 Harley Ultra Limited in Ultra Annoying Orange Sold!
2012 V-Strom 1000 Sold!
2009 Buell 1125R Sold!
2005 Superhawk Sold!
2001 Superhawk Abandoned!
1981 CB650C Destroyed!

Brace Yourselves... the cries of "It's too cold to ride" are coming...