DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 551
6 members and 545 guests
2blueyam, beatle, CrazyMotorcycleGuy, davidcycle, nootherids, RRonin
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Speeding Ticket Help
Unread
  (#1)
no one's blowing up moons

Speeding Ticket Help - December 20, 2012, 07:31 AM

So I got a ticket. And from a motorman! (an HD riding friend of mine said it's prejudice against Suzuki )

Anyway, he used a Radar or Lidar gun and I was in a group of cars.

Apparently the TU is so light and doesn't have enough metal/weight to activate traffic signal sensors or garage entrance/exit sensors. I know those "SLOW DOWN" signs with the light up numbers that are on the side of the road can't "see" a TU. Also there's that pic of the guy riding a TU and the traffic camera stated he was going 142 mph.
(For anyone that doesn't know, a Suzuki TU is a 250cc bike that can maybe break 100 if your going down a long enough, steep enough hill and have a strong tail wind.)

Because of these things I'm wondering if the speed guns can even pick the TU up?

If anybody has any info on this I'd be grateful. I'm looking for anything I can take to court with me, even if it's anecdotal. For instance if there were more pics like the 142 mph then I would think a stack of them (along with whatever else I can collect) could prove unreliability of the gun.

I've always taken my lumps when earned but this time I don't deserve it. There was a pod of cars and I was working to not get run over. When the cop walked out into the middle of two lanes two columns of cars stopped. He picked me out as the easiest to wave over, not because the gun locked on my vehicle. I'd take it if I deserved it but not this time.

Physics always wins

. . . . so get that helmet cam! . . . . . . Because the D-K Effect is an STD .http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning...3Kruger_effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slider View Post
This is what happens when weak minded adults allow children to make decisions. You get stupid shit like this.
unintentional accidental

DISCLAIMER: Yes, I am socially disabled so some things do need to be explained to me.

2013 Suzuki TU250XL3
2010 Triumph Bonneville - I love that fucking bike . . . . Om nom nom nom . . .-Fitz
2009 Suzuki TU250XK9 - KBC Sep 2013
2001 Honda Rebel CMX - KBC Mar 2010

http://flexyourrights.org/
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Traction Control

December 20, 2012, 08:26 AM

pictures of other radar systems failing will not prove you innocent

always ask to see your speed on radar. It's not a way to get out of a ticket, it's simply a way to prove to yourself that they actually picked you up. if you're searching for an excuse maaaaaybe that could have helped / reduced your offense

unfortunately in traffic court, you are guilty until proven innocent

show up and hope for the charges to be reduced

KTM RC8R
KTM RC390 race
Yamaha R6 race
Honda CRF50 mini
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Tecknojoe  
Unread
  (#3)
GP Racer

December 20, 2012, 08:28 AM

Yes, radar can and will pick you up and LIDAR most definitely is effective against you. Which one he used will be important in your defense. If he got you on LIDAR, there isn't much you can do there. If he got you on radar, you have a few options.

How fast did he say you were going and what was the posted speed limit?

-Nate
'15 R1200GS
'13 HP4
'08 YZF-R6
Unread
  (#4)
Eddie would go ...

December 20, 2012, 08:35 AM

case law says you lose

be humble

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud View Post
No one gives a fuck about your puff out your chest bravado.
Unread
  (#5)
SUPERBITCHIN'

December 20, 2012, 08:38 AM

red light sensors and radar/lidar work in two different ways.
the first you complete a circuit using the metal in your bike, that's how some bikes (not just your TU) are not recognized.
second is...well a radar, that bounces signal off an upcoming vehicle, or your face to determine speed.

E che cazzo!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to {SALVA}  
Unread
  (#6)
Sewing Machine Rider

December 20, 2012, 08:44 AM

There used to be an argument back in the day that motorcycles don't have enough frontal area to give a radar gun enough feedback to make an accurate determination of speed. It is still true for the cheap ones they put in "Your Speed" or "Slow Down" signs but has since become completely irrelevant for traffic stops as radar guns have advanced.
Unread
  (#7)
Got Any Gwapes?

December 20, 2012, 08:51 AM

Where were you when you got the ticket? What county?

"I didn't know they gave out rings at the Holocaust"

*GODFATHER*
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to boomboom929  
Unread
  (#8)
no one's blowing up moons

December 20, 2012, 09:37 AM

I was written for 44 in a 25. No, I didn't look at my speedo and I may have been over 25 but I wasn't up to 44.

Yes, I know the gun is sighted but I was on the far side of a full sized suv that kept moving faster than me while there were cars all around both of us. The cars ahead kept accelerating, opening a space and passed through the intersection then the cop stepped out and put his hand up. We all stopped and he pointed at me to wave over.

Thanks for the info about the speed signs. I wondered since I know the Bonnie will trip them but the TU won't.

Physics always wins

. . . . so get that helmet cam! . . . . . . Because the D-K Effect is an STD .http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning...3Kruger_effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slider View Post
This is what happens when weak minded adults allow children to make decisions. You get stupid shit like this.
unintentional accidental

DISCLAIMER: Yes, I am socially disabled so some things do need to be explained to me.

2013 Suzuki TU250XL3
2010 Triumph Bonneville - I love that fucking bike . . . . Om nom nom nom . . .-Fitz
2009 Suzuki TU250XK9 - KBC Sep 2013
2001 Honda Rebel CMX - KBC Mar 2010

http://flexyourrights.org/
Unread
  (#9)
SRWJTS SGT-At-Arms

December 20, 2012, 09:38 AM

I read somewhere that the guns have a 15 degree field. Can't dig it up at the moment, but if you were that close to another car... might help you

-Fitz

2016 Harley Softail Slim S
2012 Harley Ultra Limited in Ultra Annoying Orange Sold!
2012 V-Strom 1000 Sold!
2009 Buell 1125R Sold!
2005 Superhawk Sold!
2001 Superhawk Abandoned!
1981 CB650C Destroyed!

Brace Yourselves... the cries of "It's too cold to ride" are coming...
Unread
  (#10)
Your Ad Here

December 20, 2012, 09:45 AM

How much over the limit?

EDIT: just saw you reply ... 44 in a 25.

The first thing I always do is write into court and ask for a continuance - get the date pushed out another 2-4 months.

I have 50/50 success at the officer no appearing for the continuance hearing and the ticket is dismissed.

If the speed wasn't egregious, arrive to court early and speak with the Prosecutor. Tell them you intend to plead guilty in exchange for a recommendation to reduce fines/penalties. Should they agree - plead guilty and move on with life.

If they do not, plead not guilty ask for a continuance and tell the court you intend to retain council.

It's egregious. Find yourself a friendly motorcycle mechanic and get them to write you up a letter stating that there was a sprocket and gearing change made to your machine, but the speedometer was not re-calibrated - thus the speed registered on your speedometer was lower than the actual.

Typically a certified mechanic's report will get the courts to back off of throwing the hammer down on you.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

- Nicolo Machiavelli 1469-1527

Last edited by Heist; December 20, 2012 at 09:49 AM..
  Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#11)
SRWJTS SGT-At-Arms

December 20, 2012, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heist View Post
How much over the limit?

The first thing I always do is write into court and ask for a continuance - get the date pushed out another 2-4 months.

I have 50/50 success at the officer no appearing for the continuance hearing and the ticket is dismissed.

If the speed wasn't egregious, arrive to court early and speak with the Prosecutor. Tell them you intend to plead guilty in exchange for a recommendation to reduce fines/penalties. Should they agree - plead guilty and move on with life.

If they do not, plead not guilty ask for a continuance and tell the court you intend to retain council.

BTW - How did you go over the limit on one of these?

I've never seen a prosecutor at a traffic case. It's always cop and judge.

-Fitz

2012 V-Strom 1000 Sold!
2009 Buell 1125R Sold!
2005 Superhawk Sold!
1981 CB650C Destroyed!

Unread
  (#12)
Derpentine Dealer

December 20, 2012, 09:49 AM

If it's a simple speeding ticket, the single most effective thing you can do is simply show up to court. Anything beyond that for routine traffic charges is pointless and can actually work against you. Just tell your side of the story and don't make stuff up. If you were going above the posted limit, you are guilty, end of story. It doesn't matter what others around you were doing. You broke the law, you're there in court to take responsibility for it.

Don't be too embarrassed to ask for a reduced or suspended sentence. I have always been pleasantly surprised at how much mileage I've gotten out of simply putting on a suit and tie, showing up on time, smiling and being polite, and asking for a break. I have always been pleasantly surprised at how easy-going traffic court judges have been too. Last time in, I even got PBJ for a wheelie simply for the asking.

I've had fortunate outcomes in court both in Virginia and in Maryland. Don't try to go toe to toe with the officer or the technology because you'll lose. This is the 21st Century, and tech and officer's word sticks in court. Go for the mercy. If you are going in Maryland and your record is clean through the past few years, you will get PBJ for the asking. Just look and act respectful.

How's my posting? Please direct all concerns and inquiries to DCSBN's chief content manager, Hollywood, via PM.
Unread
  (#13)
SRWJTS SGT-At-Arms

December 20, 2012, 09:52 AM

Just went to court for a ticket. Simply showing up in a suit, saying "guilty" and shaking the officer's hand as I walked up got me some good results.

Didn't get to go to driving school to dismiss it since I already did that once in the past 12 months, but I did get a break on the fine

-Fitz

2012 V-Strom 1000 Sold!
2009 Buell 1125R Sold!
2005 Superhawk Sold!
1981 CB650C Destroyed!

Unread
  (#14)
Eddie would go ...

December 20, 2012, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
Negatory.

Depends on the county in Virginia.

In some counties you can line up and plea bargain with the prosecutor prior to the case. Commenting on her lovely brown locks tends to get you some leniency...

44 in 25 is typical BS ticket btw. Tag you for 19 miles over so you're supposed to be "happy" they didn't get you and just pay it. They do not expect you to show up for these in court. Some judges will think you already got a break by not having it written up as Reckless ( or 'wreckless' for .net diehards)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud View Post
No one gives a fuck about your puff out your chest bravado.

Last edited by Dutch; December 20, 2012 at 09:56 AM..
Unread
  (#15)
Your Ad Here

December 20, 2012, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
Hmmm. Maybe VA handles traffic differently. In MD & DC they have a Prosecutor who handles the cases and does the report reading before the judge, then calls the Cop up to testify.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

- Nicolo Machiavelli 1469-1527

Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to