DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 544
0 members and 544 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Speeding Ticket in Maryland! Any advice?
Unread
  (#1)
AMSOIL/NGK Dealer

Speeding Ticket in Maryland! Any advice? - July 16, 2012, 02:59 PM

So two weekends ago I received a citation on Route 4 on the way to Salomons Island. Cop pulled me over and told me I was doing 74mph in a 55mph zone. He asked me where I was going and I told him that I was on my way to catch a Charter Fishing Boat at Solomans Island. Cop asked for my license and registration went back to his car and 10 minutes later came back with the citation. I asked him if I could get a break as I haven't had a ticket in over 10 years...didn't even pause when he answered "Have a nice day"

WTF!

The fine is only $90 but I'm worried about if the ticket will show on my DMV records and if I will lose any points. If I will lose points is it worth going to court to see if they could reduce the ticket because of my good driving record (Up till that point)

Anyone on here ever get a ticket on Rt 4 around Calverty County?

Would you try to fight the ticket or just pay the fine? I'm a Northern Virginia resident btw.

Thanks
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to DC-MOTO Send a message via AIM to DC-MOTO  
Unread
  (#2)
SRWJTS SGT-At-Arms

July 16, 2012, 03:04 PM

Always go to court to try for reductions, etc.

Thats all I will say here. Lol

-Fitz

2016 Harley Softail Slim S
2012 Harley Ultra Limited in Ultra Annoying Orange Sold!
2012 V-Strom 1000 Sold!
2009 Buell 1125R Sold!
2005 Superhawk Sold!
2001 Superhawk Abandoned!
1981 CB650C Destroyed!

Brace Yourselves... the cries of "It's too cold to ride" are coming...
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
Derpentine Dealer

July 16, 2012, 03:36 PM

Freakin' Fairfax and Virginia--such a love affair with enfor-- oh wait. Sorry, hee hee.

If you can take the time from work, go to court and ask for PBJ. You'll likely get it since (1) clean record, and (2) 74 in 55 is not horrible. At the least, you'll get reduced to 1-9 over the limit just for showing up and being polite. That's my experience in Howard County, anyway. I imagine all but Montgomery County are fairly reasonable.

How's my posting? Please direct all concerns and inquiries to DCSBN's chief content manager, Hollywood, via PM.
Unread
  (#4)
Magic Carpet Ride

July 16, 2012, 03:42 PM

My 2 cents here is that you've got to make your case to get out of the ticket (or get it reduced) before the cop goes back to his car. If you're lucky you might catch a break. Once they write you up it's too late.
Unread
  (#5)
GP Champ

July 16, 2012, 03:46 PM

your course of action should depend on whether or not you caught a fish that day...
Unread
  (#6)
AMSOIL/NGK Dealer

July 16, 2012, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeShirtDude View Post
Freakin' Fairfax and Virginia--such a love affair with enfor-- oh wait. Sorry, hee hee.

If you can take the time from work, go to court and ask for PBJ. You'll likely get it since (1) clean record, and (2) 74 in 55 is not horrible. At the least, you'll get reduced to 1-9 over the limit just for showing up and being polite. That's my experience in Howard County, anyway. I imagine all but Montgomery County are fairly reasonable.
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to DC-MOTO Send a message via AIM to DC-MOTO  
Unread
  (#7)
AMSOIL/NGK Dealer

July 16, 2012, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladypink600rr View Post
your course of action should depend on whether or not you caught a fish that day...

Caught a lot that day actually. 2 Large Rockfish, 6 stripers and some flounder.

But didn't want to CATCH that ticket on the way up.
Unread
  (#8)
Your Ad Here

July 16, 2012, 04:14 PM

MD if fairly liberal about reducing the fine and not issuing points if you have a relatively clean record.
You may even luck out and get a "no show" by the cop which means you win an instant dismissal.

Go to court, fight the ticket. If the cop shows, change your plea to guilty with an explanation.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

- Nicolo Machiavelli 1469-1527

Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#9)
facebook what is that?

July 17, 2012, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC-MOTO View Post
So two weekends ago I received a citation on Route 4 on the way to Salomons Island. Cop pulled me over and told me I was doing 74mph in a 55mph zone. He asked me where I was going and I told him that I was on my way to catch a Charter Fishing Boat at Solomans Island. Cop asked for my license and registration went back to his car and 10 minutes later came back with the citation. I asked him if I could get a break as I haven't had a ticket in over 10 years...didn't even pause when he answered "Have a nice day"

WTF!

The fine is only $90 but I'm worried about if the ticket will show on my DMV records and if I will lose any points. If I will lose points is it worth going to court to see if they could reduce the ticket because of my good driving record (Up till that point)

Anyone on here ever get a ticket on Rt 4 around Calverty County?

Would you try to fight the ticket or just pay the fine? I'm a Northern Virginia resident btw.

Thanks
How to Fight a Speeding Ticket in Maryland | eHow.com

\O/
/ /
|\ Seattle Mariners
/ |
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to gixxernoob  
Unread
  (#10)
noise

July 17, 2012, 08:01 AM

Unless something has changed, in Md. the Judge have complete control over fine costs and points to be issued or not... go to court... have a good argument.

"Love is love and family is what is around you and who is in your immediate sphere."
Unread
  (#11)
AMSOIL/NGK Dealer

July 17, 2012, 09:26 AM

Thanks everyone for the advice!

I will ask for a court date and hope for the best
Unread
  (#12)
Railing!

July 17, 2012, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interceptor View Post
My 2 cents here is that you've got to make your case to get out of the ticket (or get it reduced) before the cop goes back to his car. If you're lucky you might catch a break. Once they write you up it's too late.
Never understood the idea of arguing or "making your case" to a cop on the street. Their job isnt to decided if you are guilty or not its just to give you the ticket for breaking the law. You know the law/ speed limit so you should expect the consequenses of that. If you are respectful and not argumentative on the street then they will note that and bring it up to the judge in the court which will help you.

Also...not saying you are like this Interceptor but its hilarious to hear of and/or see people trying to tell a cop the "law" and that he is doing his job wrong when they get pulled over for speeding. I have friends that do this and get pissed off when the cop gived them a ticket after that...

ok my rant is done.
Unread
  (#13)
I am a bitch, so what?

July 17, 2012, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by static View Post
Unless something has changed, in Md. the Judge have complete control over fine costs and points to be issued or not... go to court... have a good argument.
No the judge has complete control over the fines, court cost and judgement. The DMV has control over the points. The judge can give you a lower the citation, thus reducing your DMV points.
Virginia points do not transfer to Maryland, does anyone know if this is true the other way?

Every time we hold our tongues instead of returning the sharp retort, show patience with another's faults, show a little more love and kindness, we are helping to stock-pile more of these peace-bringing qualities in the world instead of armaments for war. -- Constance Foster
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to RRSheDevil Send a message via AIM to RRSheDevil  
Unread
  (#14)
noise

July 17, 2012, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRSheDevil View Post
No the judge has complete control over the fines, court cost and judgement. The DMV has control over the points. The judge can give you a lower the citation, thus reducing your DMV points.
Virginia points do not transfer to Maryland, does anyone know if this is true the other way?
Oops, been a long time thanks for the clarification!

"Love is love and family is what is around you and who is in your immediate sphere."
Unread
  (#15)
I am a bitch, so what?

July 17, 2012, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by static View Post
Oops, been a long time thanks for the clarification!
Guess that's a good thing that it's been a long tiime... unfortunately not so long ago for me.

Every time we hold our tongues instead of returning the sharp retort, show patience with another's faults, show a little more love and kindness, we are helping to stock-pile more of these peace-bringing qualities in the world instead of armaments for war. -- Constance Foster
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to RRSheDevil Send a message via AIM to RRSheDevil