DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 424
5 members and 419 guests
BigDaddyShoo, CrazyMotorcycleGuy, GRN96WS6, RacerX2050, Scot
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Speeding ticket question
Unread
  (#1)
easyrider

Speeding ticket question - December 14, 2009, 12:43 PM

I received a speeding ticket in my truck about two weeks ago in Garrett county md. I was clocked going 80 in a 65 but the officer was nice enough to drop it to 74 in a 65. Im taking it to court to try and get the point dropped but i had a few questions. My record is pretty clean, i had a PBJ about 6 years ago, will this show up when the judge sees my record? and i also had a written warning for speeding on my ninja about 5 months ago, that was 63 in a 55 in frederick county. other then these two things my record is clean. is my best bet here to ask for PBJ again when they ask how i plea? thanks.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
TPG Bannings: III

December 14, 2009, 12:49 PM

a cop pulled you in frederick for 63 in a 55? what a joke.

I think you will probably end up with pbj.
Unread
  (#3)
Your Ad Here

December 14, 2009, 01:04 PM

A PBJ is probably out the system at this point. They usually drop off after 3 years so long as you don't f*ck up.

I don't think written warnings even get filed.

You can handle this one of two ways:
(1) Go there, plead Guilty with an explanation, be nice to the judge and say how stupid you were. He'll probably give you no points, a reduced fine + court cost.

(2) Mail the court for a continuance or go there the day of, say you're not ready to plead yet - ask for a continuance. Get a new date, go again. I did this 2x and the State Trooper stop showing up. You win!

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

- Nicolo Machiavelli 1469-1527

Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#4)
TPG og

December 14, 2009, 01:05 PM

They have people let alone cops in Garett county?!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to b00st  
Unread
  (#5)
On vacation

December 14, 2009, 01:05 PM

Your best bet is to visit the MVA and ask for the two kinds of driving records. I forget what they're called but there's two and that way you can see exactly what the judge will see. Your warning might not even show up on there and due to the length of time since your last PBJ, it might not either. If I'm not mistaken, after 5 years it gets wiped off.
Unread
  (#6)
easyrider

December 14, 2009, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEaton View Post
a cop pulled you in frederick for 63 in a 55? what a joke.

I think you will probably end up with pbj.
yep he was in the left lane and i was getting on the highway and he thought i merged to fast from the on ramp. i was in the right lane the whole time following the flow of traffic and he get behind me and pulled me over. my guess is that it was mostly based on the fact i was on my bike.
Unread
  (#7)
On vacation

December 14, 2009, 01:06 PM

Oh and if you continue your case, the cops rarely show. In that case, it gets dismissed altogether.
Unread
  (#8)
easyrider

December 14, 2009, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heist View Post
A PBJ is probably out the system at this point. They usually drop off after 3 years so long as you don't f*ck up.

I don't think written warnings even get filed.

You can handle this one of two ways:
(1) Go there, plead Guilty with an explanation, be nice to the judge and say how stupid you were. He'll probably give you no points, a reduced fine + court cost.

(2) Mail the court for a continuance or go there the day of, say you're not ready to plead yet - ask for a continuance. Get a new date, go again. I did this 2x and the State Trooper stop showing up. You win!
yea i wondered about this second one. if the cop is not there i can plead innocent and i win by default right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantGetCaught View Post
Your best bet is to visit the MVA and ask for the two kinds of driving records. I forget what they're called but there's two and that way you can see exactly what the judge will see. Your warning might not even show up on there and due to the length of time since your last PBJ, it might not either. If I'm not mistaken, after 5 years it gets wiped off.
i may just do this, i do not want to bring anything up that will hurt my chances if they will not see it anyway.
Unread
  (#9)
Jake's Mom

December 14, 2009, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Oh and if you continue your case, the cops rarely show. In that case, it gets dismissed altogether.
I thought you said there were no cops in MD????

2005 R6 - Track
2012 BMW S1000RR - Street
Ride Like A Girl Racing
Diva Rydaz
R.I.P. Wayne aka Godson
R.I.P. Sue Miller
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#10)
Your Ad Here

December 14, 2009, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by import1 View Post
yea i wondered about this second one. if the cop is not there i can plead innocent and i win by default right?

i may just do this, i do not want to bring anything up that will hurt my chances if they will not see it anyway.
If the cop doesn't show - you don't plead anything. You don't want to purger yourself.

They should call the case, call the cop, if the cop doesn't show - the prosecutor should immediately make a motion to dismiss (since now they have no witness), which the judge should grant.

Make sure you wait until the bailiff hands you your court ruling paper which you should keep for your records! I got picked up on a warrant that was not removed from the system issued because they said I FTA'd (Failure to Appear) but I had.

Had I not had that court record with the ruling, I would have been sitting in prison for 3 days until they sorted the crap out.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

- Nicolo Machiavelli 1469-1527

Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#11)
TPG - screw face

December 14, 2009, 01:48 PM

Quote:
certified ($12) or non-certified ($9)

- 3 year driving record
- PBJ driving record
- Complete driving record <----best to get this one.
Unread
  (#12)
GOTTARIPANDRUNNOW

December 14, 2009, 04:20 PM

Bring your driving record in plan to do as you said, but don't count on cop not showing up.

RIP AND RUN COMEON!!!!!2007GSXR1000 Ride your own you rookie!http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/...00000789219497
Unread
  (#13)
easyrider

December 14, 2009, 05:00 PM

thanks for all the comments, I'm going to get a copy of my driving record to see whats actually on there, if anything, and hope all goes well with court. I don't care about the fine or anything just want the point dropped and to keep my record clean.
Unread
  (#14)
Silence... I keeeel you

December 14, 2009, 05:37 PM

Quote:
I received a speeding ticket in my truck about two weeks ago in Garrett county md.
Quote:
my guess is that it was mostly based on the fact i was on my bike.
Which one was it?

Then again... That's just me.

On the internet... Everyone is an expert.

And now...The dancing Banana:
Unread
  (#15)
MSF Student

December 14, 2009, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drnknmnky13 View Post
Which one was it?
The OP was talking about two separate incidents. One that happened two weeks ago (truck), and another that happened 5 months ago (bike).

To the OP, I'd go with Heist's first recommendation. The cop nailed you on radar, and was kind enough to drop it down for you. Judge will decide if he wants to strip points.

As for motions of continuance, you may not be so lucky. The judge won't grant the motion for any reason and when he/she does, the judge will usually reschedule based on the officer's availability. Besides, is it really worth all that effort? Your ticket is for 9+ the speed limit.