DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:



Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 582
3 members and 579 guests
beatle, CrazyMotorcycleGuy, davidcycle
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Speedo calibration for a cage??
Unread
  (#1)
Duct tape is for champs!
 
B-mac's Avatar
 
Posts: 506
Join Date: August 16, 2005
Location: The Ton, VA
Speedo calibration for a cage?? - May 6, 2009, 08:24 AM

So I had a little run in with VA's finest this morning for a 56 in a 45 (yes, a mere 11 over) and I swear that when I saw him my speedo said 50. I recently put some bigger tires on my truck which would affect the speedo so I want to get it checked out and hopefully get the ticket reduced/dropped. Anybody know where I can get this done and an idea of cost?

Thanks


Throttle or brakes, there are no other options
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#2)
Owner & Creator
 
Carnage's Avatar
 
Posts: 16,418
Join Date: June 11, 2003
Location: TROLL WORLD
May 6, 2009, 08:27 AM

Create a fake receipt. Get it nice and dirty a little bit oily. Works all the time

I forgot we have LEO's on the board.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#3)
Duct tape is for champs!
 
B-mac's Avatar
 
Posts: 506
Join Date: August 16, 2005
Location: The Ton, VA
May 6, 2009, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnage View Post
Create a fake receipt. Get it nice and dirty a little bit oily. Works all the time

I forgot we have LEO's on the board.
LMAO, Another one of those..."why didn't I think of that" moments.


Throttle or brakes, there are no other options
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#4)
Snuggly Jeff can't b dead
 
andyman97's Avatar
 
Posts: 384
Join Date: March 3, 2009
Location: Rockville, MD
May 6, 2009, 08:42 AM

There are a few ways to do self calibration. One is to reset your trip meter upon passing a mile marker and seeing where you are at the next marker. Another one is to find a police speed identifier on the side of the road that will tell you your actual speed.

There is actually a device out there that you can use to re-interpret the speedo signal before it goes to the ECU that corrects the signal to read the correct speed. It's about $100.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to andyman97  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#5)
Duct tape is for champs!
 
B-mac's Avatar
 
Posts: 506
Join Date: August 16, 2005
Location: The Ton, VA
May 6, 2009, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyman97 View Post
There are a few ways to do self calibration. One is to reset your trip meter upon passing a mile marker and seeing where you are at the next marker. Another one is to find a police speed identifier on the side of the road that will tell you your actual speed.

There is actually a device out there that you can use to re-interpret the speedo signal before it goes to the ECU that corrects the signal to read the correct speed. It's about $100.
Thanks andyman but I think I would need something more official for court. I'm not even sure my POS truck has an ECU driven speedo LOL


Throttle or brakes, there are no other options
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#6)
Snuggly Jeff can't b dead
 
andyman97's Avatar
 
Posts: 384
Join Date: March 3, 2009
Location: Rockville, MD
May 6, 2009, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-mac View Post
Thanks andyman but I think I would need something more official for court. I'm not even sure my POS truck has an ECU driven speedo LOL
The transmission has a speed sensor that sends the signal to the ecu/cluster. Either way, I don't know of any "official" way to test your speedo, other than may take pics or a video to bring into court with you.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to andyman97  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#7)
Owner & Creator
 
Carnage's Avatar
 
Posts: 16,418
Join Date: June 11, 2003
Location: TROLL WORLD
May 6, 2009, 09:10 AM

Healtech Speedo Healer
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#8)
Olde Pfart (tm)
 
Darth Piper's Avatar
 
Posts: 453
Join Date: June 26, 2008
Location: Sterling, VA
May 6, 2009, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyman97 View Post
The transmission has a speed sensor that sends the signal to the ecu/cluster. Either way, I don't know of any "official" way to test your speedo, other than may take pics or a video to bring into court with you.
There are. There's a place in Chantilly that does it, and they'll put a notary's stamp/seal on it as well.

It's Advanced Automotive... 4007-A Westfax, Chantilly, VA 20151

Cost is $75.


"They who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- B. Franklin

Every politician should serve two terms... one in office followed immediately by an equal or longer-length one in jail... except in New Jersey where jail time is a pre-requisite to holding office.

Donkeys and Elephants belong in a zoo, not Congress.

#include <wit.h>
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Darth Piper  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#9)
Officially Addicted to Posting
 
JTG40cal's Avatar
 
Posts: 7,867
Join Date: August 10, 2006
Location: Oakton
May 6, 2009, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Piper View Post
There are. There's a place in Chantilly that does it, and they'll put a notary's stamp/seal on it as well.

It's Advanced Automotive... 4007-A Westfax, Chantilly, VA 20151

Cost is $75.
The guys over at Advanced are awesome. They do a lot in the way of modified trucks. Give them a call and ask for Tracey. He'll set you straight.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#10)
Spectroscopist/adventurer
 
fireclown's Avatar
 
Posts: 518
Join Date: March 20, 2006
Location: Maryland
May 6, 2009, 12:13 PM


I'm not sure if this will help with your ticket or not.


Spaceballs is one dumb ass movie. I'm surprised I had to tell you that.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
vBulletin Skin developed by: vBStyles.com
All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters, all the rest 2002-2010 by DCSportbikes.net. DCSportbikes.net is owned by End of Time Studios, LLC.