DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 558
2 members and 556 guests
Sal_the_man, tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Sports Junkies Segment--Parenting
Unread
  (#1)
T.R.I.T.D.H

Sports Junkies Segment--Parenting - February 15, 2011, 08:25 AM

Anybody catch the sports junkies segment this AM about how JP took his 10 year old to the Wizards game and told her if she wanted something to eat from the concession stand she had to use her own money to buy it???

What do you think? What is your thought on the subject?

For those who missed it or do not listen...

One of the radio jockeys took his 10 year old daughter to the Wizards game on her request. She asked him to get good seats so he upgraded his tickets to 5 rows from the court (about $500 bucks total) and took her to McDonalds for dinner prior to the game. He told her beforehand that if she wanted something to eat AT the game then she needed to bring her own funds to buy food.

His fellow show hosts called him CHEAP and indicated that he was resenting his divorce and the fact that he has to pay alimony, etc.. He stated that he was fostering GOOD parenting and teaching his daughter the value of a dollar AND spending quality time with family. The other hosts fired back that FOOD was part of the whole bargin and "experience" of attending a professional game. Why would you hold out...sometimes you have to spoil your kids, and they could not phathom that anyone would agree with his (JP's) position....

I mean it's just somehting to talk about on a Tuesday morning....I'm sure most replies will be so what? who cares...

If you want to talk...then what's your thoughts?

What do you value more? Life or Image?

"I don't ride, I usually just sit around wearing a tshirt and my icon back protector and talk shit about anyone who does not have a liter bike. That's how you can pick me out of a crowd. I also wear a red tophat."
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
The last urrbendah

February 15, 2011, 08:31 AM

Buying a concession item is completely different from teaching them to save for a toy or other things they want. I think you should be trying to create lifelong memories during quality time, not making points about saving.

Just my opinion.

13 KTM 200 XC-W
15 KTM 350 XC-F

I might have a dirt bike problem.
Unread
  (#3)
running on liquid crazy.

February 15, 2011, 08:33 AM

Kids are too spoiled as it is today because of bad parenting. You can do A LOT with $500. I won't even buy my neices popcorn at the movies. If anything, we'll sneak it in. But, I guess if you have disposable money coming out the ying yang, you view things differently. And this view gets passed on to the kids.

the one and only...
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#4)
Cabin Fever

February 15, 2011, 08:34 AM

i remember when i was younger dealing with my Dad. he was cheap when it came to "wants". he always said if you want it, you can buy it, then i'd find out i didn't really want what ever it was anymore. i don't remember him ever telling me to buy my own lunch or dinner...well atleast up until i had my own job, then it was you live here, what else do you need!

anyway, i don't find the jockey's limitations too extreme, not like the girl wasn't fed or was starving, he just didn't want to shell out more $$$ at the game, kinda like when you go to a movie and sneak sandwiches in!

2000 yamaha R6(wrecked and abandoned)'

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Patient View Post
You wanna talk about learning from someone else's mistake. (ATGATT)
Unread
  (#5)
running on liquid crazy.

February 15, 2011, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillie View Post
Buying a concession item is completely different from teaching them to save for a toy or other things they want. I think you should be trying to create lifelong memories during quality time, not making points about saving.

Just my opinion.
The daughter is def going to not remember the basketball game, but the time when her father made her buy her own concession food AFTER they already had dinner.

the one and only...
Unread
  (#6)
T.R.I.T.D.H

February 15, 2011, 08:44 AM

^ well the the daugher PLAYS basketball. That's her favorite sport out of the two she plays....she asked him to take her...

When I was a kid my mother strapped up my brother and myself with backpacks each with microwave popcorn, sandwiches from home or subway, juice boxes and candy...we went to the movies. I'll never forget that shit, but I don't harbor it against my parents...most likely I'll do the same with my kids.

And devon...my pops always said the same..."If you want something buy it...If you can't afford it then you don't want it...."

funny to this day I still employ the same thoughts about bike parts to myself.

I don't think JP did anything wrong, but I was curious to see others thoughts.

"I don't ride, I usually just sit around wearing a tshirt and my icon back protector and talk shit about anyone who does not have a liter bike. That's how you can pick me out of a crowd. I also wear a red tophat."
Unread
  (#7)
T.R.I.T.D.H

February 15, 2011, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillie View Post

Just my opinion.

Well that is what some of the other hosts were saying that they would never try to teach a life lesson with their kid on FOOD...any FOOD.

And I think that is true you should never let your kid starve to teach them a lesson about money, but I think they were not looking at the ROLE the food played at the game. They said they wouldn't splurge for their kind on jerseys and other gifts one could buy at a game...but FOOD from a concession at that point would fall into that same category b/c they went out to dinner PRIOR. Then they go well McDonalds is all that to gloat about .....well for an adult but a 10 year old? What 10 year old doesn't want to eat at Mickey D's?

JP asked one caller if he took his kids to Chuckie Cheese and does he put limitations on the amount of Tokens they can spend...he said he was doing the samething at the game with limiting the amount of concessions he was going to buy...which was zero. BUT she could buy it herself if she wanted too....I mean she is 10....HE GAVE HER THE MONEY TO BUY IT IN THE FIRST PLACE (not like she had a job). And that was pretty much his case.

Unread
  (#8)
#47 GODSPEED BAMBAM

February 15, 2011, 08:58 AM

Well she should learn how much food cost's so when she is shopping to keep the kitchen stocked she does not over spend.

www.RnRcycles.com

Home of RNR Repsol Racing.

Missing all my fallen friends and family! If Life Was Easy Then Everyone Would Do It!
Unread
  (#9)
running on liquid crazy.

February 15, 2011, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalkofDC View Post
^ well the the daugher PLAYS basketball. That's her favorite sport out of the two she plays....she asked him to take her...
I was being SARCASTIC. ??

the one and only...
Unread
  (#10)
The last urrbendah

February 15, 2011, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodge131 View Post
Well she should learn how much food cost's so when she is shopping to keep the kitchen stocked she does not over spend.

13 KTM 200 XC-W
15 KTM 350 XC-F

I might have a dirt bike problem.
Unread
  (#11)
T.R.I.T.D.H

February 15, 2011, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesasse1 View Post
I was being SARCASTIC. ??

Ok. whoops....sorry...lol

I didn't take it that way b/c I was thinking that I don't remember half the movies my mother took us to see but I damn sure remember that back pack stuffed with a few bags of pop secret and capri sun's...

(that was my perspective on your statment....)

Unread
  (#12)
Jake's Mom

February 15, 2011, 09:23 AM

I don't see anything wrong with it. They had dinner before they went to the game. He wasn't asking her to pay for her own dinner. The food at the games is ridiculously overpriced and most of it is junk food.
And as long as there is no abuse or neglect or anything harmful to a child, who the fuck is anyone to judge another person's parenting, especially when you don't have kids of your own.

2005 R6 - Track
2012 BMW S1000RR - Street
Ride Like A Girl Racing
Diva Rydaz
R.I.P. Wayne aka Godson
R.I.P. Sue Miller
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#13)
T.R.I.T.D.H

February 15, 2011, 09:33 AM

I was at work one day, and this kid was sitting in the 400 level with his mom and younger brother.

The kid was steady playing his PSP. So I walked up and greeted the mother and ask was this the first time they had been out to the arena, etc. Then I turned to my target, and asked the boy what game he was playing....he responded. Then I asked him who was his favorite Wizards players...

his little brother was just squirming in the seat, he didn't know what to do. And I'm not saying that EVERY kid has an interest in basketball, but I was in shock that this mother CLEARLY made A LOT of sacrifice to get her kids to a game and the one was sitting there playing the video game. So I said something like, "hey man, that video game will always be there, but when the basketball game is over it's over...and you have to go home"

I said something else to him about watching the game and in short telling him to be thankful he had a mother to bring him to an NBA game b/c there are MANY kids who would love to take his seat. As I walked away his mom was just saying THANK YOU...THANK YOU!!!!....

That shit tore me up a bit b/c I looked at him and saw me and my brother when we were little and I rememebr all the efforts my parents made to at least take me to a game or two when tickets were available from whoever b/c it's an expensive ordeal...

Unread
  (#14)
AMA Superbike Champ

February 15, 2011, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsDiana View Post
I don't see anything wrong with it. They had dinner before they went to the game. He wasn't asking her to pay for her own dinner. The food at the games is ridiculously overpriced and most of it is junk food.
And as long as there is no abuse or neglect or anything harmful to a child, who the fuck is anyone to judge another person's parenting, especially when you don't have kids of your own.
+1. He was making her pay for extra crap, not the essentials. A childhood friend of mine had the most ridiculously strict parents when it came to money. He couldn't order a pizza without it coming out of his allowance. One time when he hurt himself on a rope swing injury (tree branch snapped, cut his leg open) his parents took it out on his Christmas gifts. I swear to God, not even joking.

They said they had already spent enough on his hospital bills the month before, so they only got him a sweater or two. And no, they weren't poor or living on welfare. Mom and Dad both worked and they lived in a nice home. But they made everything a lesson about money. And guess what? This guy happens to be one of the cheapest and stingy-est SOB's I've ever known. Gee, I wonder how that ever happened.

'08 CBR 600RR
'04 CBR 600RR track
www.MohawkRyderz.com
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to MatDady1  
Unread
  (#15)
T.R.I.T.D.H

February 15, 2011, 09:47 AM

^haha...taking it out on your Christmas gifts....lolz....that is funny.