DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 540
0 members and 540 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Stamped concrete people?
Unread
  (#1)
Elite Racing

Stamped concrete people? - September 23, 2009, 10:34 AM

Sara and I are looking to have our small backyard done with stamped concrete. We've thought about blocks/stones, but we really don't want to have to worry about grass/weeds eventually growing thru. Our next door neighbor did concrete and we really like the looks of it.

Anyone else have stamped concrete? What other options did you consider before going with concrete?

Is there anyone on here that works in the field of stamped concrete or have family/friends that do? We'd like to take a look at some options and get an estimate.

Thanks.

Chris
Elite Racing
CCS AM #458

Godspeed Bam Bam

VFR Matt: gotta be a winner at something. Cant reach for the stars mind well be king of suck
tecknojoe: we could get together at my house and mount my trailor
vonstallin: whack one off 4 me henrey
thefitzvh: I'm the assholist asshole that ever assholed
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Nubbs ban yourself!

September 23, 2009, 10:43 AM

My buddy owns Hardscapes and he mostly works in Potomac so I don't know if he goes that far into va but it might be worth a call.
His back yard is all natural stone with an incredible pond.
If done correctly it will be the most beautiful patio you could hope for.
The trick is in what is below and the preparation for the stone. The seams on his are mostly moss with only 1 seam done in concrete. He pointed that out to me one day to show exactly why he never uses concrete because over time it will show little cracks and stuff yet if stone is done right it will not sink, crack or wear like concrete!

Trying to change your mind but for your actual question I got nothin!

To punish and enslave!
2003 GSXR1K
2008 HD Night Train
religion is just a misspelling of superstition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi
Once again I forgive you for your self-righteousness, bigotry and prejudice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillie View Post
I'll also thank them for proving that you don't need the force to get a woman to make you a sammich.
"They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security."
-Benjamin Franklin
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYpOF...embedded#at=36
http://www.bachbio.com/gunsavelives.htm
Unread
  (#3)
GP Champ

September 23, 2009, 10:55 AM

Chris I used to do hardscapes and as long as you use typar (plastic/cloth weed blocker) between the ground and crush&run (stone base) you wont have any problem with weeds. Paver patios are laid in Sand, with sand then swept into the joints to lock everything in place. So no worries about grass or weeds growing up through the joints.
Unread
  (#4)
Site ADMIN

September 23, 2009, 10:56 AM

my uncle did the stamped concrete. He lives in haymarket. I will ask him who he used.

This post was prepared as a service to the DCSportbikes.net community. Neither the DCSportbikes.net ADMINS nor any of the moderators, makes any warranty, expressed or implied, or assumes any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information, product, link, or process disclosed, or represents that its use would not infringe privately owned rights. Reference herein to any specific commercial products, process, or service by trade name, trademark manufacturer, or otherwise, does not necessarily constitute or imply its endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by DCSportbikes.net. The opinions of this author expressed herein do not necessarily state or reflect those of the DCSportbikes.net community, and shall not be used for advertising or product endorsement purposes.
__________________________________________________ ________

Alex
13 Honda Fury
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to spud Send a message via MSN to spud  
Unread
  (#5)
TPG - screw face

September 23, 2009, 10:56 AM

laying it flat properly - your only concern would be A) thickness and B) big ass roots that will inevitabley crack your concrete.

Depending on the size of the job should dictate whether or not to use concrete, cement, or stones (IE - flag stones, brick etc etc)

unless you are pouring a one-piece of cement, you will have seams. If you are laying more than one piece of concrete, you will have seams. To prevent weeds and grass growing up through, you must lay down that black weed tarp kinda thing, forgot the name of it. That will block all weeds and grass. You lay that down...then lay down your stones, or mutliple pieces of concrete and then fill in the seams with cement...or rocks, sand, etc etc...

you won't have to worry about roots cracking your stones because the roots will just move them...then you just fine the root, chop it out and resurface your stone beats re-doing a whole piece of concrete or pouring new cement
Unread
  (#6)
Site ADMIN

September 23, 2009, 11:08 AM

never mind, my uncle said he would NOT recommend the company that did his. he doesnt know anyone else that does it either.

This post was prepared as a service to the DCSportbikes.net community. Neither the DCSportbikes.net ADMINS nor any of the moderators, makes any warranty, expressed or implied, or assumes any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information, product, link, or process disclosed, or represents that its use would not infringe privately owned rights. Reference herein to any specific commercial products, process, or service by trade name, trademark manufacturer, or otherwise, does not necessarily constitute or imply its endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by DCSportbikes.net. The opinions of this author expressed herein do not necessarily state or reflect those of the DCSportbikes.net community, and shall not be used for advertising or product endorsement purposes.
__________________________________________________ ________

Alex
13 Honda Fury
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to spud Send a message via MSN to spud  
Unread
  (#7)
Nubbs ban yourself!

September 23, 2009, 11:09 AM

Grass will still grow in concrete seams if that is your main issue with stone!

To punish and enslave!
2003 GSXR1K
2008 HD Night Train

Quote:
Quote:
I'll also thank them for proving that you don't need the force to get a woman to make you a sammich.
"They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security."
-Benjamin Franklin
Unread
  (#8)
#swag

September 23, 2009, 11:09 AM

Chris,

My buddy owns a company that specializes in pavers. Give him a call and tell him Nick(His name is Nick too) Tjoumas sent you, and see what he can do for ya.

http://www.nrclandscaping.com/

Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Nick  
Unread
  (#9)
Groundhogs can play dead

September 23, 2009, 11:23 AM

By the way, when I read the title of this thread, I thought you were were trying to pour concrete in the shape of people....

Tanya
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#10)
Officially Addicted to Posting

September 23, 2009, 11:26 AM

Ive known Ray, the owner, for years. He is practically family. I can hook you two up if you want...

http://www.baconandassociates.com/
Unread
  (#11)
running on liquid crazy.

September 23, 2009, 11:31 AM

Castle, my neighbors did their house. I will ask them who they used. A couple of quotes won't hurt...

the one and only...
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#12)
Elite Racing

September 23, 2009, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2sport View Post
My buddy owns Hardscapes and he mostly works in Potomac so I don't know if he goes that far into va but it might be worth a call.
His back yard is all natural stone with an incredible pond.
If done correctly it will be the most beautiful patio you could hope for.
The trick is in what is below and the preparation for the stone. The seams on his are mostly moss with only 1 seam done in concrete. He pointed that out to me one day to show exactly why he never uses concrete because over time it will show little cracks and stuff yet if stone is done right it will not sink, crack or wear like concrete!

Trying to change your mind but for your actual question I got nothin!
Thanks. Any chance he's got pics? Do you know what type of stone he used? Bluestone looks really nice, but a bit pricey. I actually like the idea of stones/pavers over concrete, but Sara's a big fan. I think we were close to being set on concrete, but if it's cheaper/easier to do stones, we can be converted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drt_Jumper View Post
Chris I used to do hardscapes and as long as you use typar (plastic/cloth weed blocker) between the ground and crush&run (stone base) you wont have any problem with weeds. Paver patios are laid in Sand, with sand then swept into the joints to lock everything in place. So no worries about grass or weeds growing up through the joints.
If we want to tackle this project on our own, would you be available for some consulting & assistance? There'd be free food and beer, maybe even some monetary compenstation, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFORC1 View Post
Chris,

My buddy owns a company that specializes in pavers. Give him a call and tell him Nick(His name is Nick too) Tjoumas sent you, and see what he can do for ya.

http://www.nrclandscaping.com/
Cool, thanks Nick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfinch View Post
By the way, when I read the title of this thread, I thought you were were trying to pour concrete in the shape of people....

Chris
Elite Racing
CCS AM #458

Godspeed Bam Bam

VFR Matt: gotta be a winner at something. Cant reach for the stars mind well be king of suck
tecknojoe: we could get together at my house and mount my trailor
vonstallin: whack one off 4 me henrey
thefitzvh: I'm the assholist asshole that ever assholed

Last edited by Castle; September 23, 2009 at 11:33 AM..
Unread
  (#13)
Nubbs ban yourself!

September 23, 2009, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castle228 View Post
Thanks. Any chance he's got pics? Do you know what type of stone he used? Bluestone looks really nice, but a bit pricey. I actually like the idea of stones/pavers over concrete, but Sara's a big fan. I think we were close to being set on concrete, but if it's cheaper/easier to do stones, we can be converted.

If we want to tackle this project on our own, would you be available for some consulting & assistance? There'd be free food and beer, maybe even some monetary compenstation, too.

Cool, thanks Nick!

Stone will be probably the most expensive option, then pavers, then concrete. I don't have any pics of his back yard but stone can cost $$$$.
The prep under is also labor instensive and really shouldn't be just sand. That is why so many rise, lower and become uneven the prep work wasn't done right.
Concrete is nice because you could probably do most of the labor yourself. Frame out the area, dig out the ground, lay down some rebar and tye it together. Then you just need them to come out and pour/stamp.

To punish and enslave!
2003 GSXR1K
2008 HD Night Train

Quote:
Quote:
-Benjamin Franklin
Unread
  (#14)
GP Champ

September 23, 2009, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castle228 View Post

For sure...it isnt that hard at all really, if you want to do it I suggest doing it fairly soon while it is still easy to dig. If you do it yourself you will save at least $1000-1500 depending on how big you are talking. Let me know.
Unread
  (#15)
GP Champ

September 23, 2009, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2sport View Post
The prep under is also labor instensive and really shouldn't be just sand. That is why so many rise, lower and become uneven the prep work wasn't done right.
Exactly right, that is why you have to put down at least 2 inches of crush&run stone down first...tamp the hell out of it with a power tamper, then 2 inches of sand tamped, then pavers, then sweeping the sand into the joints, then power tamping on top of the pavers one final time. A small patio can be done pretty easily in a day.