DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 531
0 members and 531 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
'Star Wars' scientists create laser gun to kill mosquitoes
Unread
  (#1)
Face Down @$$ UP

Post 'Star Wars' scientists create laser gun to kill mosquitoes - March 17, 2009, 12:23 AM

http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/03/16...pon/index.html

"If brains were gas. You wouldnt have enough gas, to drive a piss-ants' motorcycle, half-way around a BB."
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to WvGoDFather Send a message via MSN to WvGoDFather  
Unread
  (#2)
Firebreathing VTwin

March 17, 2009, 02:39 AM

we're fucking with natural selection and the entire food chain...

Yeah we're saving human lives, and in some cases just the inconvenience of an itchy bite but at what true cost.

Those mosquitos sucked somethings blood, then something ate it, which in turn was another animal's else's prey....

its going to throw something out of whack.

MARK DIEDERICH
Love the one you've got...
Cause you might get run over, or you might get shot.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
TPG

March 17, 2009, 04:52 AM

Kill em' all IMO

2008 - Kawasaki ZX-6R
2007 - Suzuki GSX-R750 (Sold)
1999 - Yamaha R6 (Sold)

TPG

RIP Jeff
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Jaxxx  
Unread
  (#4)
kin
Batman wants my bike

March 17, 2009, 06:28 AM

good riddance!

06 R6
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to kin  
Unread
  (#5)
GP Champ

March 17, 2009, 06:40 AM

Yes, lets take out another form of population control. Natural selection is currently working in malaria infested areas, hence the higher proportion of anemic people.
Unread
  (#6)
kin
Batman wants my bike

March 17, 2009, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluhokie12 View Post
Yes, lets take out another form of population control. Natural selection is currently working in malaria infested areas, hence the higher proportion of anemic people.
seriously, saving lives is so overrated!

06 R6
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to kin  
Unread
  (#7)
Nubbs ban yourself!

March 17, 2009, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kin View Post
seriously, saving lives is so overrated!
So many people today are alive that only contribute to a weaker gene pool. If you look at animals for example and the genetic issues that are brought about because of over breeding not inbreeding it will show some of the things that result.
With the perhaps millions of people that will perhaps now survive you now add more strain on things like food, water, medicine and plenty of other resource that these areas already have problems with. You save some to make that many more suffer.
This is a question that has been asked philosophically about medicine for as long as it has been practiced.
Those who survive lets say cancer because of treatment, go on to have children and pass on their weakness for cancer. Those kids get cancer but also receive radical new treatsments and survive. They have kids and so on and so on. Eventually the genetic vulnerability for cancer is passed around and we as humans become weaker.
If you let them die, those that don't get cancer easily will help the human race become stronger.

It may sound cold but perhaps we shouldn't be messing with this stuff as much as we are.

To punish and enslave!
2003 GSXR1K
2008 HD Night Train
religion is just a misspelling of superstition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi
Once again I forgive you for your self-righteousness, bigotry and prejudice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillie View Post
I'll also thank them for proving that you don't need the force to get a woman to make you a sammich.
"They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security."
-Benjamin Franklin
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYpOF...embedded#at=36
http://www.bachbio.com/gunsavelives.htm
Unread
  (#8)
God of the Gaps

March 17, 2009, 12:14 PM

I'll take one for my yard. Especially if it can be tuned for cats.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#9)
USSA

March 17, 2009, 12:34 PM

i love genocide

I Have Nothing To Contribute.

Chicks are like jobs...all the good ones are taken and they can't pay you enough to do the ones that are available.
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to ArrrSV  
Unread
  (#10)
opossum puncher

March 17, 2009, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2sport View Post
Those who survive lets say cancer because of treatment, go on to have children and pass on their weakness for cancer. Those kids get cancer but also receive radical new treatsments and survive. They have kids and so on and so on. Eventually the genetic vulnerability for cancer is passed around and we as humans become weaker.
If you let them die, those that don't get cancer easily will help the human race become stronger.
Love you too. Survivor here.

-
Attack Life! It's going to kill you anyway.

08 Z1000

Go Hokies!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to zx6rfool  
Unread
  (#11)
God of the Gaps

March 17, 2009, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx6rfool View Post
Get out of my gene pool!
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#12)
B
It goes to 11.

March 17, 2009, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cripes View Post
Get out of my gene pool!
I pee'd 'n ur gene pool!

SV650s for SALE!!!
- 2007 SV650 Racebike-Superbike KWS/Thermosman suspension/Swenz bodywork/All GSXR Parts
- 2009 SV650 Streetbike Race blue with white stripe/No wrecks/fully faired with M4 full system

Shoot me a PM or talk to Nate (Nudist) if you're interested in purchase.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to B  
Unread
  (#13)
Nubbs ban yourself!

March 17, 2009, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx6rfool View Post
That was not meant to offend anyone.
My aunt is a breast cancer survivor and I myself would be deaf at the minimum if not for modern science! Just throwing out the other side of the coin. I personally hate the little buggers!

To punish and enslave!
2003 GSXR1K
2008 HD Night Train
religion is just a misspelling of superstition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi
Once again I forgive you for your self-righteousness, bigotry and prejudice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillie View Post
I'll also thank them for proving that you don't need the force to get a woman to make you a sammich.
"They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security."
-Benjamin Franklin
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYpOF...embedded#at=36
http://www.bachbio.com/gunsavelives.htm
Unread
  (#14)
opossum puncher

March 17, 2009, 01:22 PM

No harm no foul. Cancer might not be a good example though due to it correlation to environment and life style. Last number I saw from National Cancer Institute say over 40% of Americans will have cancer in their lifetime.

I get what you are saying though, there are a finite amount of resources, etc. etc...

I push for survival of the fittest also, I think my dad did too, he never made me wear a bicycle helmet.

The use for this is localized, around villages, etc, which would only affect a small portion of the little fackers. Cost would probably be high as hell though, might see it at a country club and thats about it.

-
Attack Life! It's going to kill you anyway.

08 Z1000

Go Hokies!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to zx6rfool  
Unread
  (#15)
Say Jur Oh

March 17, 2009, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2sport View Post
So many people today are alive that only contribute to a weaker gene pool. If you look at animals for example and the genetic issues that are brought about because of over breeding not inbreeding it will show some of the things that result.
With the perhaps millions of people that will perhaps now survive you now add more strain on things like food, water, medicine and plenty of other resource that these areas already have problems with. You save some to make that many more suffer.
This is a question that has been asked philosophically about medicine for as long as it has been practiced.

It may sound cold but perhaps we shouldn't be messing with this stuff as much as we are.
Not that I don't understand what you're trying to say, but it's just not that simple.

You can look at this so many ways it'll make you dizzy.

Yes a cancer survivor would seem to have a genetic pre-disposition for cancer, but that is not always the case.
There are thousands of things that are known cancer causers. Asbestos, radiation, carcinogens, to name a few.
Nobody is immune to developing cancer.

So how do you look at a survivor? Are they genetically weak for developing cancer, or are the genetically strong for surviving cancer? Not everybody survives you know, so credit must be given for pulling through.

Lance Armstrong is a cancer survivor, he's also such an althetic monster because he has a supercharged cardiovascular system. He's basically out there on 1000cc's while everybody else is running 600's. It's practically cheating but hey, that's how he was born. Personally, I wish I had some of his genes because they make him nearly superhuman.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Seijirou