DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 507
1 members and 506 guests
tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Starting to get tired of this.
Unread
  (#1)
GP Champ

Starting to get tired of this. - June 28, 2009, 06:29 PM

My 12y/o has been to the ER more times than anyone I know other than Stillie. This was his first actual ambulance ride though.

He was racing through a meadow as part of a riding school a few days before his GNCC race. A rock was hidden by the tall grass and he pegged it in 4th gear, he and his bike cartwheeled across the meadow.

He hit it hard enough to split the rim.

Luckily, he was wearing his EVS neck brace, a SixSixOne pressure suit, knee braces, etc. He hit his lower back hard enough for the rivets on the pressure suit to leave bruises. So I can only imagine how bad it would have been if he had not been geared up.

The bike got wadded a bit as it tumbled, but nothing I can't fix. Actually, I already foxed most of it as he was hopeful that he would still be able to race on Sunday.

Dr discharged him as just being bruised, but he cannot walk without crutches (2 days later now). I think he dislocated his right hip during his tumble. When he came to, he could not feel his right leg at first and it is very painful to move now. The Doc took Xrays and a CT scan, said no breaks so it must just be bruised. We'll try to get an MRI done this week to see if it shows anything more.

I really appreciate the paramedics being careful, especially since he said he could not feel his leg. But did they really have to cut $600 worth of gear off? I can understand the pants and jersey, no big deal. But the neck brace has the buckles right there in front. How hard is it to unsnap it. They cut the straps right at the buckle, not like it was hidden or anything.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
I'm baaaaaack

June 28, 2009, 06:33 PM

Sorry to hear about this. Heal up little man and get back to riding soon.
Unread
  (#3)
Out of Action

June 28, 2009, 06:34 PM

So sorry to hear about your boy.

Hope he recovers quickly!

*sigh*
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to SLOride  
Unread
  (#4)
whoa preppy......

June 28, 2009, 06:38 PM

the accident was surprising... but how big he's gotten is even more surprising. Seems like yesterday he was inviting Barry and I to his 8th birthday party.

2018 XSR700
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2019 Honda Monkey
2019 Z900 ABS
2019 Janus Halcyon
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#5)
Say Jur Oh

June 28, 2009, 06:42 PM

Glad to hear that he's O.K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillie View Post
I'm not saying this site has a bunch of gay dudes on it but a few of you definitely lack a bumpstop on the sexuality gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillie View Post
Here is my anus! Deliver thy penis unto it!

Greg "BamBam" Walker
September 11th 2009
You are missed
Godspeed
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Seijirou  
Unread
  (#6)
Don't ask me,I'm Canadian

June 28, 2009, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGoGadget View Post

My 12y/o has been to the ER more times than anyone I know other than Stillie. This was his first actual ambulance ride though.

He was racing through a meadow as part of a riding school a few days before his GNCC race. A rock was hidden by the tall grass and he pegged it in 4th gear, he and his bike cartwheeled across the meadow.

He hit it hard enough to split the rim.

Luckily, he was wearing his EVS neck brace, a SixSixOne pressure suit, knee braces, etc. He hit his lower back hard enough for the rivets on the pressure suit to leave bruises. So I can only imagine how bad it would have been if he had not been geared up.

The bike got wadded a bit as it tumbled, but nothing I can't fix. Actually, I already foxed most of it as he was hopeful that he would still be able to race on Sunday.

Dr discharged him as just being bruised, but he cannot walk without crutches (2 days later now). I think he dislocated his right hip during his tumble. When he came to, he could not feel his right leg at first and it is very painful to move now. The Doc took Xrays and a CT scan, said no breaks so it must just be bruised. We'll try to get an MRI done this week to see if it shows anything more.

I really appreciate the paramedics being careful, especially since he said he could not feel his leg. But did they really have to cut $600 worth of gear off? I can understand the pants and jersey, no big deal. But the neck brace has the buckles right there in front. How hard is it to unsnap it. They cut the straps right at the buckle, not like it was hidden or anything.

I don't have kids.I'm not attacking or being negative.You can't put a price on your child's life.

ALL MY HEROES ARE RUSSIAN...GO CAPS!

Well you see, Norm, itís like thisÖA herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members. In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Now, as we know, excessive intake of alcohol kills brain cells. But naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine. And that, Norm, is why you always feel smarter after a few beers.-Cliff Claven

Unread
  (#7)
Serial Killer

June 28, 2009, 06:50 PM

Glad to hear that he is okay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scot View Post
the accident was surprising... but how big he's gotten is even more surprising. Seems like yesterday he was inviting Barry and I to his 8th birthday party.
Now theres a name I havent heard in years...how's the old man doing?

I'm a lead farmer, motherfucker!!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Diggy Send a message via AIM to Diggy  
Unread
  (#8)
old fat and slow

June 28, 2009, 06:53 PM

damm todd ... at least he had all his gear on. I had similar issues after a crash at summit. nothing broken but bruises bad enough to need crutches. he's still young enough to be made of rubber so he will heal fast.

MissS:no now!!!

bambam nope you said i have a few hours

MissS: I changed my mind

bambam: see MissS: well, you have a few hours

MissS: I'm a female, allowed to do it
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to bambam  
Unread
  (#9)
whoa preppy......

June 28, 2009, 06:54 PM

last I saw him was about 3-4 months ago. He was running around with a foil hat waiting for the economy to fully collapse so he could run to Montana and live in his zombie proof bomb shelter. I'm kidding, sorta.

2018 XSR700
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2019 Honda Monkey
2019 Z900 ABS
2019 Janus Halcyon
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#10)
Noob sauce

June 28, 2009, 07:01 PM

glad your son is ok. its a good thing he was wearing gear.

about unsnapping the neck brace. the pressure of unsnaping it, or the jerking of doing so, could cause damage or somthing. so to be safe they cut.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to chumchum  
Unread
  (#11)
GP Champ

June 28, 2009, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C2H5OH View Post
[/b]

I don't have kids.I'm not attacking or being negative.You can't put a price on your child's life.
I agree. Cutting everything off is a mild irritant. Better safe than sorry. The pressure suit had to be cutoff, I would have done the same. The Camelbak and neck brace could have been unsnapped as the fastex buckles were right on the chest. Just something to bitch about, I would still buy those guys a beer anytime for being there and doing a great job.

So if you ever wanna go skiing or down hill mountain biking, go to Snowshoe WV as there rescue crew are moto certified and will ride out to rescue you.
Unread
  (#12)
GP Champ

June 28, 2009, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scot View Post

No kidding. He grew 7 inches last year so Helen is now the shortest person in the house.
Unread
  (#13)
BE ENCOURAGED!

June 28, 2009, 07:19 PM

The real question is..How is Mom handling all this? Hope he and the bike heal up fast and get back out there!

FOREVER #47 "Walking In The Echo...."
Are you a 'Secret Believer"? Do you Conceal your faith from your family, friends and co-workers? Isn't it about time to step out of hiding and let others know whom you follow?
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to GUZZ Send a message via Skype™ to GUZZ 
Unread
  (#14)
GP Champ

June 28, 2009, 07:31 PM

Mom is ok. Donovan is an EXTREMELY active kid, so he gets banged up pretty often. The first time, when he was 3 or so and busted his head open needing stitches, she flipped out. A few years alter when he had a situation where I was checking for a pulse and getting ready to start CPR, she was ok, until she realized what I was doing. Nowadays, she is cool as a cucumber. When I opened the ambulance door and saw him strapped down, my first thought was, "Helen should not see this." but she was fine. The nurses were surprised at how calm, cool and collected she was. When they said something about it, she was like "Meh, I'm used to this."

Not for nothing I have a fully equipped EMT bag in my room at home.
Unread
  (#15)
Pfffft...

June 28, 2009, 08:02 PM

Whoa that horrible but im glad to see he is ok. Hope he feels better and heals up soon.

2008 GSXR-600
2005 SV650S Naked Streetfigther (Sold)