DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 512
3 members and 509 guests
2blueyam, Dr.Duct_Mossburg, Triple X
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Storing bike for winter
Unread
  (#1)
Got my Permit

Storing bike for winter - November 21, 2011, 11:35 AM

I was planning to ride my bike through the winter (weather permitting).

I had a change of heart. Just bought a 2011 Subaru WRX STi this past Friday. Needless to say, the bike won't be getting ridden for awhile. It's been 7 years since I've owned a new car and close to 10 since I've owned a sports car. My previous sport-oriented car was a 1991 Eagle Talon with stage 2 mods including a manual boost controller and fuel pump upgrade. Was pushing 250hp (estimated) from the stock 195hp. Was running 14.2 @ 97 mph with my slight mods back then...it probably had high 13s in her.

My STi is in a different league than the Talon, though. It sticks to the road like napalm to skin and will haul ass like a scalded cat (mid 13s @ 100 stock, from what I understand). It's no Z06, but I'm very happy with it. An equivalent car would be a Mitsubish Evo X. Anything else doesn't compare unless it is above $50K. And I've always loved the sounds of a horizontally-opposed engine, as well as AWD. The only other flat-engined cars with AWD and turbocharging would be made by Porsche.

Gonna be difficult to mod both car and bike, so I'll be waiting a bit to determine how to balance both without the wife complaining.

I also got the car without consulting the wife (purposely), so she's a tad upset. Taking her for a ride took some of the edge off.

Cool thing is, she can't drive a manual...hahahah!

Last edited by unixfool; November 21, 2011 at 12:30 PM..
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
#47 GODSPEED BAMBAM

November 21, 2011, 11:37 AM

WOW you did a major purchase without talking to the wifey. You want a good lawyer?

www.RnRcycles.com

Home of RNR Repsol Racing.

Missing all my fallen friends and family! If Life Was Easy Then Everyone Would Do It!
Unread
  (#3)
I'm a llama again!

November 21, 2011, 11:40 AM

Wow that takes some balls. I would not dare to make that type of choice with our money. She would knife me in my sleep.
Unread
  (#4)
Suddenly Superstitious!!!

November 21, 2011, 11:45 AM

Nice cars....for midgets.

And not telling the wife? Just for that she will get pregnant and force you to sell it to get a minivan.

I want my baby back, baby back, baby back....Chileeeeee's bay back...
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to MudDawg  
Unread
  (#5)
#47 GODSPEED BAMBAM

November 21, 2011, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudDawg View Post

And not telling the wife? Just for that she will get pregnant and force you to sell it to get a minivan.
So party at Stillies house?

www.RnRcycles.com

Home of RNR Repsol Racing.

Missing all my fallen friends and family! If Life Was Easy Then Everyone Would Do It!
Unread
  (#6)
Traction Control

November 21, 2011, 11:49 AM

Initiate Adam rambling nonsense about STI sucking in 3...2...1...

KTM RC8R
KTM RC390 race
Yamaha R6 race
Honda CRF50 mini
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Tecknojoe  
Unread
  (#7)
GP Champ

November 21, 2011, 11:51 AM

Do NOT MOD THE STI.......unless you dont care about your warranty do NOT touch it...even with an Accessport...trust me. I had a 2011 STI Sedan that i had for three months before it tried to blow itself up. Bone stock ran well for about 5k miles then started knocking and not making full boost. Installed an Accessport to fix the horrible stock tune that the STI has from the factory, worked well for about 8k miles until the motor started knocking horribly and was making only 8psi. Went through a huge fight with Subaru of America finally saying essentially "you drove the car too hard and abused it, thus we can not cover any warranty work for your sti" B.S. I did drive the car hard but never abused, never took it to the drag strip, always ran sunoco 93oct. If you want references to the Service writer I became friends with due to the car being in the shop constantly let me know. She can attest to the issues with the car. Also check naisoc, and iwsti and look up "2011 sti problems" or "my 2011 nightmare" and the threads will come up.

It is a good car power wise, and handling is very good, however it does NOT take to driving hard or mods well at all. Enjoy the car stock and stay within warranty and you will be ok, start driving really hard (likes its was supposedly designed to due) or mod it even with an Accessport or any aftermarket parts and you will void your warranty.

If you have any questions feel free to message me.
Adam
Unread
  (#8)
GP Champ

November 21, 2011, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecknojoe View Post
Initiate Adam rambling nonsense about STI sucking in 3...2...1...
and its not nonsense I can back up everything I said with facts. Pisses me off cause I loved that car.
Unread
  (#9)
Traction Control

November 21, 2011, 12:02 PM

I can verify that he did go through a LOT of shit. You might wanna check everything before modding so much as the stereo in that car

KTM RC8R
KTM RC390 race
Yamaha R6 race
Honda CRF50 mini
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Tecknojoe  
Unread
  (#10)
GP Champ

November 21, 2011, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecknojoe View Post
I can verify that he did go through a LOT of shit. You might wanna check everything before modding so much as the stereo in that car
thanks Joey....just dont want anyone to have to go through what I did....and yes they also blamed the problems on installing an aftermarket stereo. Like I said though...leave it bone stock and you will have a safety net....touch anything at all and you will be screwed if a problem arises.

Another word of advice....break the car in properly and stay out of the boost for the first 1000 miles. After that it is game on, enjoy the car it is a blast to drive. Also dont mess with the center diff setting while moving (tends to piss off the computer and diff) come to a stop then change it.

If you ever want to go drive or follow through some nice roads give me a shout, although you will have to follow an EVO instead of an STI....sorry
Unread
  (#11)
Site Owner

November 21, 2011, 12:12 PM

Wait, what? They sold you a sports car and then gave you shit about "driving it hard"?

(O|||||||O) and (0OO\(||||)(||||)/OO0)

Help support DCSportbikes.net! Become a Premier Member today!

Katie #135.

Nudist: If Ben isnt still riding me, then I need it
B: that sounds odd
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to ClemsonJeeper  
Unread
  (#12)
GP Champ

November 21, 2011, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonJeeper View Post
Wait, what? They sold you a sports car and then gave you shit about "driving it hard"?
Yep....looked at the tires and brakes and said it was abused. Hell I did an oil change on the damn car every 2500 miles....that car was driven hard but was NOT abused by any means. It is such a widespread problem they issues a TSB on all the issues and failures of the 2011 STI tune and ringland failure. Pretty sure instead of recalling the cars to update the ECU's with a better tune (read: not so frigging lean due to epa requirements") they just issued a TSB instead, this is the last year (2012) for the STI with the current 2.5L motor.
Unread
  (#13)
SRWJTS SGT-At-Arms

November 21, 2011, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slider View Post
Wow that takes some balls. I would not dare to make that type of choice with our money. She would knife me in my sleep.
No shit.

OP doesn't value his marriage

-Fitz

2016 Harley Softail Slim S
2012 Harley Ultra Limited in Ultra Annoying Orange Sold!
2012 V-Strom 1000 Sold!
2009 Buell 1125R Sold!
2005 Superhawk Sold!
2001 Superhawk Abandoned!
1981 CB650C Destroyed!

Brace Yourselves... the cries of "It's too cold to ride" are coming...
Unread
  (#14)
Give me the Ban Button!

November 21, 2011, 12:29 PM

I bought my motorcycle and most all of my camera gear without consulting with my wife.

My money is my money and hers is hers.

MY SPELLING SUCKS....DEAL WITH IT

MyCanikon.net A place to hang out if you are interested in talking photography.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Nubbs Send a message via AIM to Nubbs  
Unread
  (#15)
Got my Permit

November 21, 2011, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudDawg View Post

No. I already have 3 kids and got cut after that (my choice...3 is enough). If she gets pregnant, it ain't mine.