DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 573
0 members and 573 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Stupid Verizon - Getting a 3rd line added was painful, expensive, and not worth it
Unread
  (#1)
Suddenly Superstitious!!!

Stupid Verizon - Getting a 3rd line added was painful, expensive, and not worth it - December 20, 2014, 11:30 PM

So my daughter has reached the age where we would like to be able to track her down. We went the iPod route for the past two years to see if she was mature enough to not lose it. It's time to get her a phone.

So I go to the local shop, no phones. I then move on to Best Buy.

Here is the rub. I already have two phones on a plan. Both are up for replacement. So I upgrade my wife's phone to an iPhone 5S. I want to use the iPhone 4 we currently have on the plan to a new phone number/line.

So in a nutshell

Phone 1: Mine. (Old S3, working fine, don't change it.)
Phone 2: iPhone 4 (Upgrade to iPhone 5S)
Phone 3: New line - use old iPhone 4 that was originally phone 2.

I was told it would be a new line and $40. What I wasn't told is that I was going to get hammered for $60 for the line and THEN another $40. Instead of a simple additional $40 line charge and keep it on my plan, nope, can't do that because they have the lines and can tell you you are bringing your phone, therefore screw you for a ridiculous amount for the additional phone.

ANybody dealt with this? I'm seriousl thinking of going back and cancelling it this week and going to another provider. It's total BS. If I have a phone, from this carrier, and want to add a line and keep it around...why a new fucking contract???

Anybody got any advice on this one? It just seems like a total consumer fuck-over in general.

Grrrrrrr.

I want my baby back, baby back, baby back....Chileeeeee's bay back...
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to MudDawg  
Unread
  (#2)
GP Champ

December 20, 2014, 11:40 PM

Jessica just read this (who has done this numerous times with our plans) and said yes that is normal. I think our bill with 3 line with shared data (10gig) and our bill is approx. $170.00 a month.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)

December 21, 2014, 12:22 AM

So now I'm confused. I went online and checked my account, and the only change was the addition of the $40 for the new line. (Not an additional $60 for a new account)

I'm thinking I'm going to get double charged for some reason. The BB person said they couldn't do it, yet it seems to be done. Why do I have a sneaking suspicion I will see a second bill next month....for another $100 for the new line / old phone?

If that doesn't happen, then they should communicate better as one of the e-mails said it was a whole new account charge & line charge.

Unread
  (#4)
GP Racer

December 21, 2014, 06:42 AM

What?! Ill be honest, Ive never paid any of those extra fees when adding lines, changing plans etc. If they cant do it I threaten to cancel plan, and in some cases I did actually end up cancelling.

Sometimes the guys in store really cant do it, or dont know how to. Pick up the phone and call Customer Service, you are going to waste about an hour of your time, but most likely they will work with you. Better for them to drop $60 rather than a paying customer.
Unread
  (#5)

December 21, 2014, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkhas View Post
What?! Ill be honest, Ive never paid any of those extra fees when adding lines, changing plans etc. If they cant do it I threaten to cancel plan, and in some cases I did actually end up cancelling.

Sometimes the guys in store really cant do it, or dont know how to. Pick up the phone and call Customer Service, you are going to waste about an hour of your time, but most likely they will work with you. Better for them to drop $60 rather than a paying customer.

Yeah, that's my plan. I don't mind the additional for a "new" smartphone line. (Well, I think the prices are stupidly high in general, but that's all smartphone plans)

I have 2 weeks to go back and drop the new phone.

Next on my list, wait to upgrade my older S3 (working just fine) for a newer S5. I put an oversized battery in it this past summer. Having over twice the original battery has made it nice to not have to worry when I'm on metro and surfing! So I can wait until it's down to being a free upgrade. Or until I kill the phone somehow.

Unread
  (#6)
Yo quiero Trackday!

December 23, 2014, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkhas View Post

This!

Sprint once said sorry, there is nothing we can do (one of the many reasons why I went with tmobile). Only thing that sucks about tmobile is the data coverage, largest 4G coverage my ass!

Don't have any experience with Verizon, other than my father's FIOS, which seems to be a mess when it comes to billing/charges.

Like Coolkhas said, called customer support and threaten to move on to another carrier.
Unread
  (#7)
Chasing the dragon

December 23, 2014, 07:38 PM

I laugh when AT&T presents me with those types of fees. Call and bitch.

More gas, less brake
Unread
  (#8)
GP Champ

December 23, 2014, 07:50 PM

I thought there was a minor price war going on. We're paying <$160 for 4 LTE smartphones with unlimited talk/text and 15GB shared data on AT&T. Things have gotten cheaper for us lately.
Unread
  (#9)
Cager

December 23, 2014, 11:10 PM

Keep one thing in mind: You get what you pay for.

I switched from Verizon to Sprint. I am paying almost 1/4 of the cost with Sprint, but wow let me tell you Verizon's coverage is a powerhouse. I recently went on a vacation in Colorado, so often my phone would be out of coverage while my buddy's Verizon phone was still cruising on LTE speeds. Even at times when I am on road around here, my signal would be 3G while when I had Verizon, it is always LTE and always blazing fast period. Big difference, but if you live in LTE dominated area like I do then different carriers may not be too bad of an idea.

I am with Sprint contract free. I can switch any time I like. Thats how I like it.

Bottom line is be aware of how switching carriers may or may not affect you. But definitely do not let them add any bogus charges/fees to your plan. That sounded a bit ridiculous, however I was more of speculating on the rate of the plans. Good luck.

-J. Beaver
--bike-less for now
Unread
  (#10)
Site ADMIN

December 24, 2014, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkRoy View Post
I thought there was a minor price war going on. We're paying <$160 for 4 LTE smartphones with unlimited talk/text and 15GB shared data on AT&T. Things have gotten cheaper for us lately.
this is what we have for ATT. 15GB(30GB) plan and 5 smart phones. Comes out to $45 per phone per month...

This post was prepared as a service to the DCSportbikes.net community. Neither the DCSportbikes.net ADMINS nor any of the moderators, makes any warranty, expressed or implied, or assumes any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information, product, link, or process disclosed, or represents that its use would not infringe privately owned rights. Reference herein to any specific commercial products, process, or service by trade name, trademark manufacturer, or otherwise, does not necessarily constitute or imply its endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by DCSportbikes.net. The opinions of this author expressed herein do not necessarily state or reflect those of the DCSportbikes.net community, and shall not be used for advertising or product endorsement purposes.
__________________________________________________ ________

Alex
13 Honda Fury
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to spud Send a message via MSN to spud  
Unread
  (#11)
GP Champ

January 7, 2015, 01:13 PM

Not saying AT&T is great but at least rollover data is coming:
AT&T will let 50 million customers carry over unused data to the next month | The Verge
Unread
  (#12)
I came I saw I shat mysef

January 7, 2015, 04:52 PM

Has verizon ever solved the stupid can't talk and browse at the same time with the iPhone plans?

-john
wera, ccs - novice # 979 - sv650
Aprilia Falco (sold), Gs500 (sold), KTM300 (sold)

"I'll believe corporations are people when Texas executes one of them."

Separation of Corp. And State!

R.I.P Alex Lyskawa - My heart will never heal from your passing.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to jron  
Stupid Verizon - Getting a 3rd line added was painful, expensive, and not wor...
Unread
  (#13)
Site ADMIN

Stupid Verizon - Getting a 3rd line added was painful, expensive, and not wor... - January 7, 2015, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jron View Post
Has verizon ever solved the stupid can't talk and browse at the same time with the iPhone plans?

Nope

This post was prepared as a service to the DCSportbikes.net community. Neither the DCSportbikes.net ADMINS nor any of the moderators, makes any warranty, expressed or implied, or assumes any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information, product, link, or process disclosed, or represents that its use would not infringe privately owned rights. Reference herein to any specific commercial products, process, or service by trade name, trademark manufacturer, or otherwise, does not necessarily constitute or imply its endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by DCSportbikes.net. The opinions of this author expressed herein do not necessarily state or reflect those of the DCSportbikes.net community, and shall not be used for advertising or product endorsement purposes.
__________________________________________________ ________

Alex
13 Honda Fury
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to spud Send a message via MSN to spud  
Unread
  (#14)
Blah, Blah, and Blah

January 7, 2015, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud View Post
Nope
They have, sort of. With the iPhone 6 you have to have advanced calling feature enabled (VoLTE) by Verizon and have an active LTE connection. Since Verizon has LTE pretty much everywhere, I can talk and surf most of the time.
Unread
  (#15)
I came I saw I shat mysef

January 8, 2015, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peoples1234 View Post
They have, sort of. With the iPhone 6 you have to have advanced calling feature enabled (VoLTE) by Verizon and have an active LTE connection. Since Verizon has LTE pretty much everywhere, I can talk and surf most of the time.
This was always a non-starter for me with Verizon. Only new with the 6?

I wonder how it works overseas when you are not on a Verizon network? My ATT based phone works perfectly overseas and I'm able to talk and surf at all times.

-john
wera, ccs - novice # 979 - sv650
Aprilia Falco (sold), Gs500 (sold), KTM300 (sold)

"I'll believe corporations are people when Texas executes one of them."

Separation of Corp. And State!

R.I.P Alex Lyskawa - My heart will never heal from your passing.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to jron