DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 594
4 members and 590 guests
CCS762ZX6, HenryW, Sal_the_man, tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Subaru Guys A Question
Unread
  (#1)
Your Ad Here

Subaru Guys A Question - July 21, 2016, 03:27 PM

Last I recalled there were more than a few Subie guys on here.

Many seem to say that the Subies are the 'Japanese Jeep'. Relatively less tech laden, lower maintenance and durable.

I'm considering getting the parents a used small Subie crossover for the AWD ability, step-over height (flexibility and leg strength issues) and because the Passat 4Motion is beginning to act like a spoiled brat and I'm growing tired of 'Let's play CEL code bingo' every few months.

Thinking maybe a Forrester, Crosstrek, or the jacked up Sedan thing. 2010 - 2014 MY range. Maybe earlier if its in particular good shape.

Before I start digging deeper into research, as a quick reference, is there anything I should look out for or stay far far away from? Is there any year that was really great then the followed by "why did they do that?!" the next MY?

(Yes I know this isn't DCSubaruFans.net)

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

- Nicolo Machiavelli 1469-1527

Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Stop light racer...

July 21, 2016, 04:48 PM

Can't give you much feedback on 2010+ model years... but I had a 1995 Impreza with a 150k miles on it and loved it! Lived in upstate NY at the time (think Canada) and it was best thing ever in the snow or rain. Sure footed as a mountain goat and so fun to drive.

Been a Subaru fan ever since! Several of my friends and family have bought them in recent years and they all love them too.

- Norway Daily, 90' VFR750, V4 Touring Beast
- USA Daily, 08' Versys - Urban Assault vehicle
- Toy, 02' Ducati 900ss - Loud and angry noises
- Toy, 89' FZR600 - Raw Inline Deathbox
- Project, 91' CB250 - Goal: lightweight city bike
- Project, 79' CB350 - Finally runs, now to finish

- Sold, Red 94' VS800 - Loud as F@*$
* R.I.P. Blue 06' SV650, murdered by DC!
* R.I.P. Black 98' FZR600, murdered by DC!
- Sold, Red 81' GS650
- Sold, Black 81' CM400T
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
GP Racer

July 21, 2016, 05:04 PM

Only complaints I have heard about the newest models is the quality of the interior seems to have gone down a bit. A lot of people complain about extra noise from the plastic that is used.

For some of the older XT models i know the Turbos were prone to failure.
Unread
  (#4)
TNT
GP Champ

July 21, 2016, 05:09 PM

I am also very interested, particularly in the Forester. Need something to carry a dog and a baby, and apparently the jump steats / bed of my truck are not appropriate (so says my wife).

My biggest concern is maintenance and $ over the long-term. I don't like the rearward visibility in the CRV that much, and the Forester had really good reviews.
Unread
  (#5)
Your Ad Here

July 21, 2016, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSLow3 View Post
Only complaints I have heard about the newest models is the quality of the interior seems to have gone down a bit. A lot of people complain about extra noise from the plastic that is used. For some of the older XT models i know the Turbos were prone to failure.
Turbo engine failures. Got it. Definitely will dig deeper on that topic. Was it a particular engine code or just an entire family if you know?

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

Last edited by Heist; July 21, 2016 at 05:16 PM..
Unread
  (#6)
Your Ad Here

July 21, 2016, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNT View Post
I am also very interested, particularly in the Forester. Need something to carry a dog and a baby, and apparently the jump steats / bed of my truck are not appropriate (so says my wife). My biggest concern is maintenance and $ over the long-term. I don't like the rearward visibility in the CRV that much, and the Forester had really good reviews.
Concur on the CR-V. I took one for a quick spin 2 months ago in anticipation of this transition and not only did it feel "light" and disconnected, the rear visibility left a lot to be desired - and I have good vision and neck flexibility. For seniors it would be a blind spot disaster in wait.

Also the interior styling was a little Asian'y quirky.

Unread
  (#7)
Railing!

July 21, 2016, 06:43 PM

My ex-wife had a 2008 Forester X with a manual. Man that was fun to drive and fling around ramps. Surprised a lot of "tuners" with it. It was pretty darn reliable if I remember correctly.

Current girlfriend just bought a 2016 Crosstrek a few weeks ago. Obviously more tech now than what was in the Forester, and maybe just a little less room. It still has only a couple hundred miles on it so I haven't started drifting it onto 395 yet, but the steering feels good. Don't like the CVT, but I generally hate all automatics anyway so don't let that dissuade you. It does get incredible mileage, especially for an AWD vehicle. It shares a platform with the Impreza and the Forester. The Forester now is a little bigger, more powerful, and has a few other options than the XV. Here's a decent video of the differences:

Unread
  (#8)
Track Day addict

July 21, 2016, 07:35 PM

I had a 2006 Forrester XT. The turbos are generally fine if they aren't tuned or messed with. If buying used, try to make sure it is stock and has been stock.

The paint on mine also scratched very easily. I hope that they fixed that in the newer ones.

I only sold it so I could get a Touareg to tow my enclosed trailer. It was still a fine car. Fun to drive and great in the snow.

Dale - 2004 SV 650 track, 2003 R1 track, 2007 Tuono
Unread
  (#9)
GDMFSOB

July 21, 2016, 09:41 PM

Had a 11 Outback for a while. Loved it! I'd still have it if my track obsession didn't require more towing capacity.

#132 EX
Proudly representing: DC-MOTO, Amsoil, SHOEI, Woodcraft-CFM, MARRC

2015 MARRC Crash & Burn Award
2014 MARRC Sportsmanship Award
2013 MARRC Amateur of the Year
2012 MARRC Cornerworker of the Year
www.marrc.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillie View Post
Here is my anus! Deliver thy penis unto it!.
Unread
  (#10)
Your Ad Here

July 21, 2016, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2blueyam View Post
I had a 2006 Forrester XT. The turbos are generally fine if they aren't tuned or messed with. If buying used, try to make sure it is stock and has been stock. The paint on mine also scratched very easily. I hope that they fixed that in the newer ones. I only sold it so I could get a Touareg to tow my enclosed trailer. It was still a fine car. Fun to drive and great in the snow.
Off topic but I really really liked the Gen 1 Touareg Diesels. Still want one.

Unread
  (#11)
Track Day addict

July 22, 2016, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heist View Post
Off topic but I really really liked the Gen 1 Touareg Diesels. Still want one.
You wouldn't like the maintenance bill. That V10 pretty much requires super car level maintenance bills, particularly as they get older.

Unread
  (#12)
Track Day addict

July 22, 2016, 01:24 AM

Forgot the interesting part of having the XT with the 5 speed manual. It was the handling with the constant 50/50 torque split.

In the dry if you were hard in the throttle, the front end would get light and it would plow like a dump truck. Lift to get the amount of turn you needed.

In the snow it was just the opposite. Plowed like mad if you were on the brakes. Brake in a straight line. At turn in point, get into the gas a bit and turn the wheel and the back end would come around, but very controllable. Then just steer using the throttle around the corner. Add throttle as you straighten the wheel.

The only time that thing was neutral handling was in a heavy rain.

I believe that was unique to the Forester XT. The firmer suspension in the WRX didn't act quite this way. Neither did the STi or the automatics because of the different torque split set ups. The non-turbos didn't have enough power to create the major under steer in the dry, but were probably similar otherwise.

Unread
  (#13)
Derpentine Dealer

July 22, 2016, 05:54 AM

Subaru had a little bit of a head gasket issue back in the 90's. I had a '98 forester affected by it. That car also had a rear wheel bearing go out, which is kind of rare. I think the miles on that car came up to something close to 200K before ditching it. It was a great car, never any other issues with it.

I had a 04 Impreza for a few years that was fantastic. Not one single mechanical issue, ever. I sold it because I got to a point where I rarely drove it because I commuted by KTM and because I wanted a truck.

My next car will be a WRX. What car guys tell me is that the Subaru engines don't hold up that well to heavy modifications. I just want a factory turbo and am content to drive it stock without sinking a bunch of money and time into it. That's where Subaru shines.

By the way, Top Gear tested the WRX Sti against the comparable Evo. While the Evo turned a few more horses and was faster in 0-60, the WRX ate it up on the track.

How's my posting? Please direct all concerns and inquiries to DCSBN's chief content manager, Hollywood, via PM.
Unread
  (#14)
Your Ad Here

July 22, 2016, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2blueyam View Post
You wouldn't like the maintenance bill. That V10 pretty much requires super car level maintenance bills, particularly as they get older.
Yes. Anything with a V10 is going to be crazy balls expensive to maintain as it gets older. But I love that VW was bold enough to design and import the audacious and slightly bonkers diesel variant.

Twin turbo V10 diesel in a passenger car; I don't think it's ever been done.

Unread
  (#15)
Your Ad Here

July 22, 2016, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatle View Post
My ex-wife had a 2008 Forester X with a manual. Man that was fun to drive and fling around ramps. Surprised a lot of "tuners" with it. It was pretty darn reliable if I remember correctly. Current girlfriend just bought a 2016 Crosstrek a few weeks ago. Obviously more tech now than what was in the Forester, and maybe just a little less room. It still has only a couple hundred miles on it so I haven't started drifting it .... a decent video of the differences: Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?
v=rEf4LpNBZPs
Thanks. This is one of the items that is giving me a little pause. I don't know much about CVT transmissions, but everything I hear / read about them has words and phrases in it like "can be fragile, odd and unnatural feeling, slow response."

After reviewing some reliability and cold weather test videos and reviews, The CX-5 may go in the consideration pile.
Hyundai / Kia Tuscan, a possibility.
Ford Escape, VW Tiguan, Honda CR-V, Jeep Patriot, Chevy Equinox, Mitsubishi are all out.