DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 593
2 members and 591 guests
davidcycle, nootherids
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Suisham Gets the boot
Unread
  (#1)
GP Champ

Suisham Gets the boot - December 8, 2009, 12:05 PM

Redskins dump Suisham, sign Gano

Two days after place kicker Shaun Suisham's missed chip-shot field goal contributed to an overtime loss to the New Orleans Saints, the Redskins today waived the five-year veteran and signed Graham Gano after kicking tryouts at Redskins Park.

Gano won the Lou Groza award at Florida State and kicked most recently for Las Vegas of the UFL. After the UFL season ended, he tried out last week for the New York Giants.

For the Redskins, re-signing Dave Rayner, the only other place kicker in training camp, was not an option. When the team released him on Sept. 5, Rayner was given an injury settlement, which bars him from kicking again in 2009.
Owner Daniel Snyder and Vinny Cerrato, Washington's executive vice president of football operations, decided to make a change at the position after Suisham - in his third full season in the role for the Redskins - failed to deliver late in the 33-30 overtime loss to the Saints at FedEx Field. With 1 minute 56 remaining in regulation, the Redskins lined up for a 23-yard field-goal attempt that would have extended their lead to 10 points. The ball sailed wide right.
After Suisham's miss, New Orleans quarterback Drew Brees quickly directed a 33-second, five-play, 80-yard drive that ended on his 53-yard touchdown pass in the middle of the field to uncovered wide receiver Robert Meachem. Fullback Mike Sellers fumbled on the first possession of overtime, the Saints recovered the ball and won on place kicker Garrett Hartley's 18-yard field goal at the 8:31 mark.
In addition to Sellers's lost fumble, the Saints also scored a touchdown off a long fumble recovery after a Redskins interception and were aided on another touchdown drive when they regained possession of a punted ball that hit a Redskins player. Moreover, the Redskins secondary continued to play poorly in deep coverage against double-move routes as free safety LaRon Landry was beaten for two long touchdown passes - the latter of which helped to tie the score at 30-30 with only 1:19 to play in the fourth quarter.
In the locker room after the game, Suisham, who converted his other three attempts against the Saints, fought back tears while shouldering responsibility for the loss. Many players publicly supported Suisham, saying others also did not perform well, but some of his teammates were critical. Said Pro Bowl defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth: "We've all got to do our job. I can't really say anything. We've got to do what we're here to do."
Suisham performed well at his job for most of the season. After holding off Rayner in a kicking competition during camp, Suisham made his first 12 field-goal attempts this season. But in a 7-6 loss to the Dallas Cowboys in Week 11, Suisham missed a 39-yarder at the end of the first half and a 50-yarder with 7:12 seconds to go in the fourth.
Overall, Suisham went 18 for 21 on field goals (85.7 percent). Last season, he was only 26 for 36 (72.2 percent). He also has made 20 of 21 point-after attempts. Place kickers, however, are mainly judged on their ability to deliver in the clutch.
Suisham is vested for termination pay, so the Redskins owe him the remaining balance on his contract, assuming he is not claimed off waivers. Suisham has a salary of $1.01 million, according to a league source familiar with his contract, and still is owed about $238,000.
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Budah79 Send a message via AIM to Budah79  
Unread
  (#2)
The last urrbendah

December 8, 2009, 12:14 PM

It's good!

13 KTM 200 XC-W
15 KTM 350 XC-F

I might have a dirt bike problem.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
Railing!

December 8, 2009, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillie View Post
It's good!
Hmmm... pay for performance. What an interesting concept. Where could be applied next? Hmmm. Owner, GM, coach, quarterback...
Unread
  (#4)
AMA Superbike Champ

December 8, 2009, 12:42 PM

From Redskinsdotcom

- The Redskins signed place kicker Graham Gano to the roster and released Shaun Suisham, the team announced on Tuesday.

Gano, a rookie out of Florida State, was with the Baltimore Ravens in preseason but lost the kicking job to Steve Hauschka.

He was with the Las Vegas Locomotives of the United Football League earlier this year. He converted 14-of-16 field goals, including a league-high 53-yarder, and he also kicked the game-winner in the UFL championship game.

At Florida State, Gano won the Lou Groza Award as the league’s best kicker and earned All-America honors during his senior season. He made 24-of-26 field goals, including 18 in a row, for the Seminoles.

Gano, 6-1 and 200 pounds, replaces Suisham, who has served as the Redskins’ kicker since December 2006.

'08 CBR 600RR
'04 CBR 600RR track
www.MohawkRyderz.com
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to MatDady1  
Unread
  (#5)
Site Owner

December 8, 2009, 12:45 PM

Can blame it on the kicker all you want but when you let a team put on a 80+ yard 2 minute drive with no time outs remaining and their backs up against the wall, you shouldn't have won the game in the first place.

(O|||||||O) and (0OO\(||||)(||||)/OO0)

Help support DCSportbikes.net! Become a Premier Member today!

Katie #135.

Nudist: If Ben isnt still riding me, then I need it
B: that sounds odd
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to ClemsonJeeper  
Unread
  (#6)
Mommy's Little Monster

December 8, 2009, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonJeeper View Post
Can blame it on the kicker all you want but when you let a team put on a 80+ yard 2 minute drive with no time outs remaining and their backs up against the wall, you shouldn't have won the game in the first place.
True. BUT if he had made it, then we kicked off, AND the saints still had to drive (let's give them a 1 minute drive, and assume they get the TD) then try and onside kick and get into field goal range just to try and tie it without a single timeout or two minute warning.

The Skins win that game had he made it.

EDIT: Also, I can forgive a 45-50+ yarder, that's not easy. But when you're paid they way they are, and its your only job to kick, you cannot excuse chip shots from less than 30 yards, leading to directly losing the game. I'm sure the guy is nice and all, but enough is enough. Also, Landry sucks.

2018 BMW R1200 GS
2016 Yamaha FJ-09
2014 Honda CB500X
2007 Suzuki DRZ 400SM
2007 Suzuki GSXR 600

Last edited by sk8nsanta; December 8, 2009 at 12:56 PM..
Unread
  (#7)
Site Owner

December 8, 2009, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8nsanta View Post
True. BUT if he had made it, then we kicked off, AND the saints still had to drive (let's give them a 1 minute drive, and assume they get the TD) then try and onside kick and get into field goal range just to try and tie it without a single timeout or two minute warning.

The Skins win that game had he made it.
The Skins win the game had they had a touchdown instead of a FG attempt... you can go down "the what if" trail all day long but the bottom line is you can't put the whole game on his shoulders. It was an epic failure from a defensive standpoint as well.

(O|||||||O) and (0OO\(||||)(||||)/OO0)

Help support DCSportbikes.net! Become a Premier Member today!

Katie #135.

Nudist: If Ben isnt still riding me, then I need it
B: that sounds odd
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to ClemsonJeeper  
Unread
  (#8)
Railing!

December 8, 2009, 01:02 PM

Quote:
The Skins win the game had they had a touchdown instead of a FG attempt... you can go down "the what if" trail all day long but the bottom line is you can't put the whole game on his shoulders. It was an epic failure from a defensive standpoint as well.
Can't argue with that! Lets see...amend my previous post to "Owner, GM, coach, quarterback, defensive secondary (at least)"
Unread
  (#9)
The last urrbendah

December 8, 2009, 01:19 PM

Quote:
It was an epic failure from a defensive standpoint as well.
Hmm...I can't agree with that. They held the #1 offense in the league to 30 points when they are averaging 36 a game.

Not taking their side.

13 KTM 200 XC-W
15 KTM 350 XC-F

I might have a dirt bike problem.
Unread
  (#10)
Meet your Maker

December 8, 2009, 01:25 PM

Quote:
What. Have you ever played, or watched football. Thats a team that has torched every team in the league. Our defense is hurt and missing very key people. What our defense did was more than almost every team in the league could do.

They pressured Brees, causing numerous interception opportunities including a major one. We sacked brees, hit him, took him out of rythm most the game.

A tired defense that has played 3 times the amount of games the O has gets tired after 4.5 quarters.

Suisham is to blame, hes a PRO, hes where the tiniest percent of kickers are and he blew it. Offense and Defense did what was needed to win the game. Special teams did not.

Landry got torched twice but he made up for it with hits, sacks, and multiple coverage adjustments. Were a bad team and this happens to bad teams, bad calls, ground caused fumbles overturned to fumbles, missed kicks, etc..

I am ready to meet my maker but is my maker ready for the ordeal of meeting me...
Looking for a Race Bike
------------------------------------------------
NESBA #199, Roger Lyle #199
http://i331.photobucket.com/albums/l...ut18/2-2-1.jpg
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to MikeyB  
Unread
  (#11)
Your Ad Here

December 8, 2009, 01:27 PM

It's funny.

NFL teams are always quick to fire a kicker if they muff a few kicks throughout the year (and kicking is the most difficult thing you have to do because so many complex timing actions have to happen outside of the kicker's control)

But a QB can throw 2 and 3 interceptions in a game - a Running Back can have 6-7 fumbles and they don't get let go.

Interesting.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

- Nicolo Machiavelli 1469-1527

Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#12)
Mommy's Little Monster

December 8, 2009, 01:29 PM

What's an average RB get for carries in a game? 20+ ? If a kicker is making 17-18 field goals a game, and missing 2-3, no one would bat an eye at that either. And no RB is making 6-7 fumbles without getting benched.

2018 BMW R1200 GS
2016 Yamaha FJ-09
2014 Honda CB500X
2007 Suzuki DRZ 400SM
2007 Suzuki GSXR 600
Unread
  (#13)
TPG og

December 8, 2009, 01:39 PM

Bring back Champ, Bring back Champ, Bring back Champ!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to b00st  
Unread
  (#14)
GP Champ

December 8, 2009, 01:45 PM

Need to get rid of Portis
Need to get Cooley back
Need to get a better O line
Need to beef up Offense.
and probably get rid of QB

We did better then the whole league did against NO
Almost all other teams got whooped bad by NO!

Suisham missing that quick was his pink slip!
and its true a kicker has less stats then anyone else on the team so there for a few misses will cause you to lose your job.

All the key games we coulda won if Suisham didnt miss!
Cowboys
Eagles
and now NO
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Budah79 Send a message via AIM to Budah79  
Unread
  (#15)
Meet your Maker

December 8, 2009, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budah79 View Post
Need to get rid of Portis
Need to get Cooley back
Need to get a better O line
Need to beef up Offense.
and probably get rid of QB
I am still a firm believer that Cambell is a good quarterback and could be a really good QB. When he does not worry about pressure he is on. Hes smart enough and strong enough. I think he just needs to get over that mental hump

I am ready to meet my maker but is my maker ready for the ordeal of meeting me...
Looking for a Race Bike
------------------------------------------------
NESBA #199, Roger Lyle #199
http://i331.photobucket.com/albums/l...ut18/2-2-1.jpg
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to MikeyB