DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 551
5 members and 546 guests
boomboom929, CrazyMotorcycleGuy, davidcycle, shiphteey, Toecutter
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
SuperNerds...help me decide on this PC...
Unread
  (#1)
GP Champ

SuperNerds...help me decide on this PC... - September 30, 2012, 06:26 PM

Is this PC a good deal for $660??

HP H8-1287c Intel Core i7 3770 (3.4GHz), 12GB DDR3, 2TB 7200 RPM Drive, Windows 7

Specifications:
Processor: Intel Core i7 3770 Ivy Bridge (3.4GHz)
Processor Core: Quad-Core
Memory: 12GB DDR3 (PC3-12800)
Max Memory: 16GB
Memory Slots: 4
Graphics: ATI Radeon HD 7450 (1GB dedicated)
Video Ports: HDMI, DVI
Hard Drive: 2TB SATA (7200rpm)
Optical Drive: SuperMulti DVD±RW
Audio Chipset: Integrated IDT 92HD89E
Sound: HD 7.1 Surround Sound
Network: 10/100/1000 Base-T
Wireless: 802.11b/g/n
Bluetooth: 3.0
Top Panel:
(2) USB 3.0
(1) Headphone Jack
(1) Microphone Jack
Rear Panel:
8-Channel (7.1) HD Audio
(4) USB 2.0
(2) USB 3.0
(1) RJ-45 LAN
(1) Digital Audio Out
Operating System:
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Power Supply:
300W Max
Dimensions:
16.22" (L) x 6.89" (W) x 16.34" (H)
Weight:
24.25 lbs

My laptop is starting to go downhill. It's slow, battery is dead so it needs to be plugged in, and the wireless card seems to be failing since it crashes the whole PC when data throughput gets too high for too long like when streaming videos. Oh, and the fan never turns off, a general design flaw IMO.

So I'd like to get a new PC since I've never been a fan of laptops anyways, I miss the bigger screens, and I do play high frame rate online games which my laptop is unable to handle without jitter.

The deal for this desktop is on Woot.com for only a couple more days or until supplies last. It is refurbished with 90-day.

What do you SuperNerds think...is it a good deal?

P.S. After I get a new PC, I'd like to get a Razer mouse next. I may also jump on getting a SSD hard-drive to run the OS when I find them on sale again.

Last edited by nootherids; September 30, 2012 at 06:28 PM..
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Your Ad Here

September 30, 2012, 06:36 PM

FWIW, I have difficulty trusting HP hardware.

Ever since they bought out and merged with Compaq their computers have had questionable build quality and reliability over the medium-to-long term.

For $660, given the specs, I may be compelled to roll the dice with the knowledge that I expect to get maybe 2 trouble free years out of the machine before problems start to surface.

Your mileage may vary depending on usage and the duty strains put on the machine.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

- Nicolo Machiavelli 1469-1527

Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
Site Owner

September 30, 2012, 07:26 PM

300W power supply? no way.

Forget upgradability of the video card - you'll need to replace the power supply as well.

(O|||||||O) and (0OO\(||||)(||||)/OO0)

Help support DCSportbikes.net! Become a Premier Member today!

Katie #135.

Nudist: If Ben isnt still riding me, then I need it
B: that sounds odd
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to ClemsonJeeper  
Unread
  (#4)
Member of SRWJTS

September 30, 2012, 08:15 PM

A new quality PSU is about $100+/- and a new video card that can run games for a 2-3 years at close to highest settings is about $125-180. But you can always pay for a higher end card but that will get'er done in the current pc parts market.

2001 Kawasaki ZX6R: Yoshi slip-on
1999 Trans AM WS6, Long tubes, full exhaust, extra sexy
2006 GTO 6spd, 1 of 390 Silver, SLP LM1 (Sold)
2001 R1; blue, Yoshi slip on (sold Jan 12, 2012)
(RIP) 2000 Camaro SS
1999 Trans Am Ws6 30k miles, 6spd (sold)
1999 Camaro coupe 6 cyl (traded in after a week to get the SS)
Unread
  (#5)
Groping is a skill...

September 30, 2012, 08:25 PM

Isn't cheaper to build your own if you're going the desktop route? So I hear anyways...

2015 KTM Super Duke 1290 R
2013 Victory Vision Tour
K7 Gixxer 600 - Track Only
RnR Cycles Touched & Tuned

I grope suckaz!!! -
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#6)
Member of SRWJTS

September 30, 2012, 08:29 PM

it's sort of cheaper if you know what you're looking for. But for some people if they are unfamiliar with what is a good deal and what isn't they can end up paying more. Right now is a good time to buy parts since there is an overlap of old pc parts mixed with brand new. The overlap happens every year or so around this time and usually last till christmas time. But again...gotta know what you're looking for.

*what does work out well is buying performance parts, the value of a built performance machine is better than a pre-built performance machine.

(RIP) 2000 Camaro SS
Unread
  (#7)
S.R.W.J.T.S. Road Captain

September 30, 2012, 08:49 PM

David, to answer your question: Yes. I prefer to build my own desktop towers, and have for years. I prefer to choose each component like the other posters described.

Overall though, that setup *FOR THE PRICE* is very good. i7? dedicated 1GB graphics? 12GB ram? 2TB of 7200rpm HDD? Having Bluetooth, Wireless N, DVD burner, etc. all built-in is just icing on the cake. The 300W power supply will be fine unless you start adding lots of fans, lights, additional hard drives, etc. It's built to be ample for the setup that it ships with. Rob's right, 450W or more would be "nice", but that's just to have the extra overhead. Nothing's wrong with that setup, especially at that price... and if there's a 1-year or at least 90-day warranty.

If you want to discuss building your own desktop, PM me and I'll be happy to help.

Safe Riders Who Just Talk Shit: Talk Nasty, Act Classy.

"It's true man. You ride more moderately by default . . ." - NoOtherIDs
"You sound like a very advanced rider McFly" - Slider
"I'm that Beast out here." - Circa Nice
Unread
  (#8)
Groping is a skill...

September 30, 2012, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanNippy View Post
it's sort of cheaper if you know what you're looking for. But for some people if they are unfamiliar with what is a good deal and what isn't they can end up paying more. Right now is a good time to buy parts since there is an overlap of old pc parts mixed with brand new. The overlap happens every year or so around this time and usually last till christmas time. But again...gotta know what you're looking for.

*what does work out well is buying performance parts, the value of a built performance machine is better than a pre-built performance machine.
Man, I gotta hit you up if I decide to do a desktop for my job. I've been using my laptop but we do heavy flash and photoshop work and sometimes it's just slow. I've been thinking about building a desktop with uber high RAM with a fast processor and motherboard that could handle it.

2015 KTM Super Duke 1290 R
2013 Victory Vision Tour
K7 Gixxer 600 - Track Only
RnR Cycles Touched & Tuned

I grope suckaz!!! -
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#9)
Can't work my clutch!!

September 30, 2012, 08:55 PM

moofi FTW

lol

15 Star Bolt R-Spec
09 600RR ABS
07 600RR
01 GSXR600
Unread
  (#10)

September 30, 2012, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkishexpress View Post
Man, I gotta hit you up if I decide to do a desktop for my job. I've been using my laptop but we do heavy flash and photoshop work and sometimes it's just slow. I've been thinking about building a desktop with uber high RAM with a fast processor and motherboard that could handle it.
Cem, hit me up if you need anything as well. I do lots of graphics work from home on my home-built PC and I've built several PCs for clients.

Unread
  (#11)
SRWJTS Media and Safety

September 30, 2012, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFly View Post
Cem, hit me up if you need anything as well. I do lots of graphics work from home on my home-built PC and I've built several PCs for clients.
He'll also touch you.

Deal is sealed, I believe.

'04 F4i - Sold
'12 ZX6r

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nard Dog
I wish there was a way to know you're in the good ol' days, before you've actually left them

Discord - camelhumps#7702
Unread
  (#12)
GP Champ

September 30, 2012, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkishexpress View Post
Isn't cheaper to build your own if you're going the desktop route? So I hear anyways...
Only if you use the same components.

The reality is that you don't have access to a case that costs pennies, and fans that cost pennies, and powersupply that costs a few bucks, etc.

Instead, you end up buying all that stuff and it adds up, esp if you order from different places and pay shipping. A lot of times, the savings will be negligible. If you buy a computer that is a good deal, you might even have to pay more to build your own. Then, depending on your configuration, your built computer may sound like an indoor helicopter with fans buzzing and PS churnin'. The HP will be quiet enough not to be a nuisance.

The only good thing is that it's easier to upgrade, but if you're not a serial upgrader it doesn't matter. And if you're an occasional upgrader it also doesn't matter because by the time you want to upgrade the graphics card 3 years later, you will find that 3 other items in the computer need to be upgraded and half your parts are not compatible.

I think the above is a good deal. That 300w is probably more stable than the bullsht 500w PS that power supply sellers advertise. Personally, I would give it a go. (after I check CPU benchmark rating to see if it's worth it.)

Also, this is HP. I haven't ordered HP in years, but I have a feeling they still sht on your hard drive and install a gazzilion trial anti-virus junk and other BS. The first thing you probably need to do is reinstall the OS to get rid of that stuff. Don't even waste your time trying to find it all and uninstall individually.
Unread
  (#13)
GP Champ

September 30, 2012, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFly View Post
David, to answer your question: Yes. I prefer to build my own desktop towers, and have for years. I prefer to choose each component like the other posters described.

Overall though, that setup *FOR THE PRICE* is very good. i7? dedicated 1GB graphics? 12GB ram? 2TB of 7200rpm HDD? Having Bluetooth, Wireless N, DVD burner, etc. all built-in is just icing on the cake. The 300W power supply will be fine unless you start adding lots of fans, lights, additional hard drives, etc. It's built to be ample for the setup that it ships with. Rob's right, 450W or more would be "nice", but that's just to have the extra overhead. Nothing's wrong with that setup, especially at that price... and if there's a 1-year or at least 90-day warranty.

If you want to discuss building your own desktop, PM me and I'll be happy to help.
Thank you señor! My thoughts exactly. The PS was the one thing pulling me away from the "value" of this deal. And the fact that it's far from the best motherboard I'm sure. But all the other little details coupled with the specs just sound wonderful. I'm sure that the need to upgrade the video card won't arise for 2-3 years anyways. And the only other thing I would want for the time being would be an SSD to run the OS so I have lightning quick reboots and app loading. This PC also comes with HDMI + DVI/VGA dual monitor support which was also nice. Especially since I don't plan on getting external speakers for a while either. Not high on the priority list. Rather get a good gaming mouse and then debate between good speakers or a good headset that I can also use with the XBox360 when needed. I needed to ask though cause I'm not up to date on current pricing models.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witold View Post
Only if you use the same components.

The reality is that you don't have access to a case that costs pennies, and fans that cost pennies, and powersupply that costs a few bucks, etc.

Instead, you end up buying all that stuff and it adds up, esp if you order from different places and pay shipping. A lot of times, the savings will be negligible. If you buy a computer that is a good deal, you might even have to pay more to build your own. Then, depending on your configuration, your built computer may sound like an indoor helicopter with fans buzzing and PS churnin'. The HP will be quiet enough not to be a nuisance.

The only good thing is that it's easier to upgrade, but if you're not a serial upgrader it doesn't matter. And if you're an occasional upgrader it also doesn't matter because by the time you want to upgrade the graphics card 3 years later, you will find that 3 other items in the computer need to be upgraded and half your parts are not compatible.

I think the above is a good deal. That 300w is probably more stable than the bullsht 500w PS that power supply sellers advertise. Personally, I would give it a go. (after I check CPU benchmark rating to see if it's worth it.)

Also, this is HP. I haven't ordered HP in years, but I have a feeling they still sht on your hard drive and install a gazzilion trial anti-virus junk and other BS. The first thing you probably need to do is reinstall the OS to get rid of that stuff. Don't even waste your time trying to find it all and uninstall individually.
Also agree with you fully! I have always built my machines from scratch and was an addict of mwave.com previously. I used to go in there and constantly price out the best build for the price with the most current items on the market. But when they started "coding" processors (i5 2284, i7 3824, i7x 345624523KS, etc) that's when I lost interest in keeping up with new parts. I got annoying by the consumer marketing approach. Basically, make it as impossible to understand without having an overly technical spreadsheet in your hand for each and every single component and you ensure that the regular consumer will be completely unable to know whether they are truly getting a good value PC or not. I basically rebelled against the industry after that. Same thing with video cards (5730, 5735, 5765, 5770, 5890, etc) like the difference between one and the other that has a 5 at the end is really that much that it deserve a whole new model number.

But you're right, when you're looking to build an Alienware level of PC then you are likely to get a better machine by building yourself and knowing exactly what you're getting....if you're willing to put the money into your system. But when you want a decent balance between mid-high quality machine and price, I don't think you can build for cheaper than a pre-configured system.

Oh yeah, and trust me, my first plan of action when I get a PC from the big company names is to format the entire drive and start from scratch. Just hope they send the OS disc with the machine cause it's not easy finding good stable pirated versions anymore.
Unread
  (#14)
Member of SRWJTS

September 30, 2012, 10:37 PM

meh, it's easy to get rid of bloatware from the factory. No need to re-install windows, the tools to remove the junk are all there. Just gotta have an idea of what to do and it's pretty fun. Most if not all current manufacturers put a recovery partition on the drive so there is no need to have a disk. And if you use the OS disk or the restore partition it will restore the bloat anyway since it will be an HP Windows disk. So in the end knowing how to remove bloat is crucial unless you buy a fresh copy of Windows 7 from a store.

(RIP) 2000 Camaro SS

Last edited by HumanNippy; September 30, 2012 at 10:49 PM..
Unread
  (#15)

September 30, 2012, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanNippy View Post
meh, it's easy to get rid of bloatware from the factory. No need to re-install windows, the tools to remove the junk is all there. Just gotta have an idea of what to do and it's pretty fun. Most if not all current manufacturers put a recovery partition on the drive so there is no need to have a disk. And if you use the OS disk or the restore partition it will restore the bloat anyway since it will be an HP Windows disk. So in the end knowing how to remove bloat is crucial unless you buy a fresh copy of Windows 7 from a store.
^ This. Was just telling David that in IM. Performed this last weekend for my wife's HP laptop. No muss, no fuss, took less than 10 minutes to uninstall the HP games, MS Office "trial", and a few others.