DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 586
1 members and 585 guests
CrazyMotorcycleGuy
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Supreme Court Will Hear Guns Case
Unread
  (#1)
Officially Addicted to Posting

Supreme Court Will Hear Guns Case - November 20, 2007, 03:49 PM

***UPDATE - SUPREME COURT HAS RELEASED ITS OPINION, SEE LATER POSTS FROM 6/26/08.

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5j...-wL-wD8T1I7J83

Quote:
WASHINGTON (AP) — The Supreme Court said Tuesday it will decide whether the District of Columbia can ban handguns, a case that could produce the most in-depth examination of the constitutional right to "keep and bear arms" in nearly 70 years.

The justices' decision to hear the case could make the divisive debate over guns an issue in the 2008 presidential and congressional elections.

The government of Washington, D.C., is asking the court to uphold its 31-year ban on handgun ownership in the face of a federal appeals court ruling that struck down the ban as incompatible with the Second Amendment. Tuesday's announcement was widely expected, especially after both the District and the man who challenged the handgun ban asked for the high court review.

The main issue before the justices is whether the Second Amendment of the Constitution protects an individual's right to own guns or instead merely sets forth the collective right of states to maintain militias. The former interpretation would permit fewer restrictions on gun ownership.

Gun-control advocates say the Second amendment was intended to insure that states could maintain militias, a response to 18th century fears of an all-powerful national government. Gun rights proponents contend the amendment gives individuals the right to keep guns for private uses, including self-defense.

The last Supreme Court ruling on the topic came in 1939 in U.S. v. Miller, which involved a sawed-off shotgun. That decision supported the collective rights view, but did not squarely answer the question in the view of many constitutional scholars. Chief Justice John Roberts said at his confirmation hearing that the correct reading of the Second Amendment was "still very much an open issue."

Last edited by rddy; June 26, 2008 at 09:58 AM..
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to rddy  
Unread
  (#2)
Site Admin

November 20, 2007, 03:50 PM

lift the ban!
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
Sick!!!

November 20, 2007, 05:14 PM

libérez les yacks tibétains
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to The Bogert  
Unread
  (#4)
Loves Sporking

November 20, 2007, 05:36 PM

As I read in the Washington Post Express today on the metro, you're safer in Maryland and Virginia, where it's easy to purchase and legally own a firearm. Regardless, DC is just dangerous. The gun ban (along with higher crime rates) will keep me from ever living there. I hope the ban is lifted Tuesday, although I doubt it will have any effect, positive or negative, on the rate of gun murders. Maybe fewer victims and more criminals will be taken down. It isn't likely though, since DC will never issue ccp's.

Johnny V.
CCS & ASRA #67

2006 Suzuki GSX-R1000
2004 Suzuki GSX-R600 (racing)
2004 Aprilia 1000 Mille R (street)
2001 Aprilia 1000 Falco (street)
2001 Suzuki GSX-R600 (racing)
1995 Kawasaki ZX-6E (street and racing)
1986 Yamaha Radian 600
(street)
Unread
  (#5)
Officially Addicted to Posting

November 20, 2007, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPVaccaro
I hope the ban is lifted Tuesday...
The Court decided to hear the case, but it won't happen until next year with a decision likely mid-year, from what I read.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to rddy  
Unread
  (#6)
singin sweet home alabama

November 20, 2007, 06:42 PM

Good for them, but gun ownership will have no affect positive or negative on violent crime in DC.

That's my bet.

"No race has ever been won in the first corner, but plenty have been lost there."
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via MSN to DvlsAdvc8  
Unread
  (#7)
BE ENCOURAGED!

November 20, 2007, 07:22 PM

FOREVER #47 "Walking In The Echo...."
Are you a 'Secret Believer"? Do you Conceal your faith from your family, friends and co-workers? Isn't it about time to step out of hiding and let others know whom you follow?
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to GUZZ Send a message via Skype™ to GUZZ 
Lift the Ban ! / Free Tibet
Unread
  (#8)
MSF Student

Lift the Ban ! / Free Tibet - November 20, 2007, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bogert
libérez les yacks tibétains
Fantastic amount of historical footage from 1949 era, etc

10 Questions for the Dalai Lama

MONTEREYMEDIA.COM - INDEPENDENT FEATURE FILMS - DVD / VHS. Webmaster Gordon Scott Garcia All images are copyright © monterey media inc.
www.thedalailamamovie.com/ - 8k - Cached - Similar pages - Note this

10 Questions for the Dalai Lama (2006)

10 Questions for the Dalai Lama on IMDb: Movies, TV, Celebs, and more...
www.imdb.com/title/tt0819354/ - 33k - Cached - Similar pages - Note this

I didn't pay for it, so she can't have half !
Two words:
Unread
  (#9)
MSF Student

Two words: - November 20, 2007, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DvlsAdvc8
Good for them, but gun ownership will have no affect positive or negative on violent crime in DC.

That's my bet.
Carl Rowan

Guns & the Crime rate
Unread
  (#10)
MSF Student

Guns & the Crime rate - November 20, 2007, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPVaccaro
As I read in the Washington Post Express today on the metro, you're safer in Maryland and Virginia, where it's easy to purchase and legally own a firearm. Regardless, DC is just dangerous. The gun ban (along with higher crime rates) will keep me from ever living there. I hope the ban is lifted Tuesday, although I doubt it will have any effect, positive or negative, on the rate of gun murders. Maybe fewer victims and more criminals will be taken down. It isn't likely though, since DC will never issue ccp's.
My opinion on gun ownership, the number of guns I own and the fact that my wife's specious document resulting in a court producing a protective order resulting in the impounding of said weapons for one year pending the divorce not withstanding:

A report I heard at length on C-Span radio day before yesterday about the correlation between reduced incarceration rates and the crime rate dropping must be taken into consideration.

That said, I would still feel safer in Virginia with a must issue law in place for concealed carry if the sheer possibility of a life threatening incident were but once in my own lifetime.

[Here comes the rhetoric]

"I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six".

Last edited by NinjaPony; November 21, 2007 at 11:27 PM..
Unread
  (#11)
Meh

November 20, 2007, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DvlsAdvc8

That's my bet.
Than your hypothesis would be in complete contradiction with every other bit of factual information regarding those states that have CWP provisions and favorable gun laws as opposed to those states/districts with unfavorable gun laws.
Unread
  (#12)
Face Down @$$ UP

November 21, 2007, 12:36 PM

You have a right to arm bears. I felt the gun ban was illegal in the 1st place. Even though DC is not a state, it is still covered by the US Constitution, isnt it??
Home invasions are just starting to take place up in my area, why do think its taken this long to spread up here. CCW is one major reason. Wouldnt you 2nd guess strong arm robbing someone in their home, if you had reason to think you might get blown back out the door. Honestly I know more people in a 5 block radius in this area, that carry concealed, more than in most larger cities in Va. Same damn CCW agreement.
Wv, where men are men and sheep KNOW it.

"If brains were gas. You wouldnt have enough gas, to drive a piss-ants' motorcycle, half-way around a BB."
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to WvGoDFather Send a message via MSN to WvGoDFather  
Unread
  (#13)
Go Team Venture!!!

November 21, 2007, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WvGoDFather
Even though DC is not a state, it is still covered by the US Constitution, isnt it??
Believe it or not, it is not to a certain degree. Although there is a municipal government and a Mayor, Congress has the supreme authority over the city and district, which results in citizens having less self-governance than residents of the states. There are 37 elected Advisory Neighborhood Commissions that provide the most direct access for residents to their local government. The commissions serve as local councils, and their suggestions are required to be given "great weight" by the D.C. Council. However, the U.S. Congress has the ultimate plenary power over the district. It has the right to review and overrule laws created locally and has often done so. The Tenth Amendment to the United States Constitution, which grants to states all rights not belonging to the Federal government, does not apply to the District of Columbia.

Hence the license plates which say "taxation without representation". It's a weird situation.
Jedi

"Whore Force One" pilot
The Whitest of White Boys
Not 40 yet!
The Force is strong in this one

Last edited by Jedi; November 21, 2007 at 01:04 PM..
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Jedi Send a message via AIM to Jedi Send a message via MSN to Jedi  
Unread
  (#14)
What's today? aah fuck it

November 21, 2007, 01:10 PM

WOOOO1!!

hell muthafuckin yeaahh!!!

im tired of heart rate goin thru the roof everytime i cross the bridge with the thingy
Unread
  (#15)
DT
Yesssssss.....

November 21, 2007, 03:39 PM

Good stuff.

No comment on the rest - we'd be here all day.

04 600RR - SOLD

"I am a soldier, I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight."
- General George Patton Jr
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to DT Send a message via AIM to DT Send a message via MSN to DT Send a message via Skype™ to DT