DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 586
7 members and 579 guests
2blueyam, CrazyMotorcycleGuy, davidcycle, GRN96WS6, nootherids, Scot, Toecutter
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Switching to the new Apple Macbook. Is it worth it?
Unread
  (#1)
Noob with a 600rr

Switching to the new Apple Macbook. Is it worth it? - October 14, 2008, 10:56 PM

Ok, I have to admit. I've been a loyal Windows fan. All I do is surf the net, chat, view some photos and play some videos. For what I do, a Windows PC is sufficient. But I'm in the market for a new laptop and my lady friend recommend the new Macbook, or MBP if I can afford it. I'll be doing more video editing and what not. I hear the Mac's are great for that.

I read up the specs on the new Macbook and it's quite nice. Design is beautiful. But for $1300, I can get a system quite as fast with Windows Vista Ultimate.

I've never had a Mac before. Has anyone switched from Windows to Mac, then switched back to Windows?

What's your take on this?

http://www.apple.com/macbook/

'07 CBR 600 RR
'04 CBR 600 F4i - SOLD
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
subUrban Warrior

October 14, 2008, 11:06 PM

Yes. I've been using Macs since 1986. Tuesday two new Powerbooks were introduced. The 13" Macbook and 15" Macbook Pro.

"I banged so many chicks last year my iPhone address book broke" - overheard at a Dover, DE bar
Unread
  (#3)
Noob with a 600rr

October 14, 2008, 11:12 PM

What is it about Mac's that you like?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newzpix View Post
Yes. I've been using Macs since 1986. Tuesday two new Powerbooks were introduced. The 13" Macbook and 15" Macbook Pro.

'07 CBR 600 RR
'04 CBR 600 F4i - SOLD
Unread
  (#4)
subUrban Warrior

October 14, 2008, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0ndaguy View Post
What is it about Mac's that you like?
I'm a photojournalist and for many years it was the only system that ran Photoshop well. (that is no longer an issue as Windows machines are just as fast with PS now). The Macintosh IIfx was an amazing machine in 1990 and when I was handed a color Powerbook by UPI in 1993 I was locked-in. Bill Gates could not compete in my world of photojournalism.

I used a Windows machine for the past four years when I was a photo editor at AOL and I found it to be sluggish and at times held captive to the ghosts that inhabits all Windows systems.

If you are moving from a Windows system to Mac, OSX will appear to be basic and somewhat simple. Some people don't get past this. The positive side to this is you know where everything is and you can actually find files you have downloaded.

I've never really had any problems with my Macs or the units I have used at work. I have experienced hard drive failures but nothing more than that.

Some folks will tell you there is limited software available for Macs and that is true. But what is available is rock solid and therefore there is no need for several versions of a program from many different manufacturers.

I've never found myself lacking for software - I have all of my Adobe aps, MS Office, video authoring tools, Apple iWork, Quicken, good selection of web browsers, blah blah blah.

I don't play games on my Macs so I can't speak to them.

I carry a four-year old 12" Powerbook with me on motorbike trips. Love it -- but I am eager to see this new 13" Macbook. Might be time to retire my dependable 12" Pwbk.

I would hate to give-up my Macs. They have served me well and continue to be the right tool for my needs.

"I banged so many chicks last year my iPhone address book broke" - overheard at a Dover, DE bar

Last edited by Newzpix; October 14, 2008 at 11:52 PM..
Unread
  (#5)
Firebreathing VTwin

October 15, 2008, 12:25 AM

I used PCs all my life. Literally grew up with them.
I was given a Mac laptop (IBook) a few years ago and will never buy another Windows based PC EVER again! I LOVE MY MacBook

Everything about the computer. I can honestly say I cant think of one thing I'd improve upon hardware or software-wise expect for the the speakers are kinda weak, but when I need more speaker I just plug it into the stereo.

MARK DIEDERICH
Love the one you've got...
Cause you might get run over, or you might get shot.
Unread
  (#6)
Out of Action

October 15, 2008, 05:01 AM

Both PCs and Macs have strengths and weaknesses. The rest is a religious debate.

For the $$, you can get a FASTER PC than a MAC. That is not argueable.

But.. honestly... i'd get a Macbook, or if you can afford it, a macbook pro. You can just install VMWare Fusion, or Parallels (both around $80) and then install Windows XP (or Vista if you hate yourself).

Outside of GAMES, you then have both, working at 100% on the same computer.

If you want lots of gaming support, you just use Boot Camp (dual boot) and then have windows installed on the mac.. and when you want to game, you just reboot into a pure windows and go from there.

The new Macbook Pro's came out yesterday.. damn sexy.

Ironically.. I edit photos & video on my very fast PC at home.. and use my MBP for doing software development. Possibly backwards, but works for me

*sigh*
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to SLOride  
Unread
  (#7)
Signed up for Track Days!

October 15, 2008, 06:00 AM

I grew up using Windows.
But after I played with a Mac at work I decided to get a MacbookPro.
I will never buy another PC. But thats just me.
I think MACs are more stable. This MacBookPro is UNIX based so in my experience is very stable. After two years I have yet experience a "frozen" OS unlike XP when it would freeze at least once a month. JAVA apps seem to run much smoother. The OS is more intuitive and the hardware is top notch.
Of course if you are a gamer then you want to stay with a PC since there aren't a lot of games for MACs.
But since MacbookPros are Intel based you can still run windows and have both a PC and a Mac in one machine. You can either run both operating systems at once using a VMWare like I do or parallels (but eats up too much memory). Or you can boot the MAC on Windows via BootCamp.
There are pros and cons for both machines and ultimately it comes down to personal choice and what you want to use the machine for.

--Oliver
Unread
  (#8)
Mommy's Little Monster

October 15, 2008, 06:04 AM

For ease of use, and dependability, apple wins hands down. If you're looking to get into video editing, you should just start saving and buy a macbook pro, damn expensive but they're worth every penny.

2018 BMW R1200 GS
2016 Yamaha FJ-09
2014 Honda CB500X
2007 Suzuki DRZ 400SM
2007 Suzuki GSXR 600
Unread
  (#9)
Out of Action

October 15, 2008, 06:10 AM

The only thing I find MBP's don't do well for video editing (by comparison) is direct MPEG2 editing (dvd format). the $19.95 quicktime pro plugin just isn't as nice, as potions i've found on the PC

yes, makes no sense.. but what can ya do.. mpeg2 has been around and will be around another couple/few years.

My camcorder has a HDD and saves directly to Mpeg2.. makes it great for going straight to dvd and doing jus tminor edits.. but sucks on my MBP for actually trying to do transitions etc.

*sigh*
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to SLOride  
Unread
  (#10)
GP Champ

October 15, 2008, 06:19 AM

The Mac Book is the shit I was gonna get one and settled for a dell.... HUGE mistake after I played on my neighbors Mac Book !!!!!! If I could go back I would have scooped the mac book in a heartbeat....
Unread
  (#11)
Super Moderator

October 15, 2008, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiixerFiend7 View Post
The Mac Book is the shit I was gonna get one and settled for a dell.... HUGE mistake after I played on my neighbors Mac Book !!!!!! If I could go back I would have scooped the mac book in a heartbeat....
Exacly what happened to me. Bought a Toshiba a few years ago...and it was nice but regretting not getting a macbook. But I just got a macbook about amonth ago and I LOOOOOOVE it!

~Kim
CCS# 827
01 GSXR1000
01 SV650S

I'm ADOS: Attention Deficit Oooooohhhhh ... Shiny!!!

Life's a BITCH. 'Cause if it was a slut, it'd be easy.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to kevers  
Unread
  (#12)
B
It goes to 11.

October 15, 2008, 08:35 AM

Macbooks now possess Intel Core based chips, they are rated between 2.0ghz and 2.6ghz. Your average Dell will still be 1.6-1.8ghz.

Not only that but the hardware architecture on a Mac is superior, as well as the driver and software coding. All hardware speaks the language of it's manufacturer, drivers are the software that translates that language between hardware peices. Sometimes the translators aren't very good (throw errors or break after certain use, or create memory leaks and hog resources - something you see often in windows).

You can run any windows programs inside of a VM - buy Parallels.

Less than 5% of internet viruses are created to infect Unix (Mac) or Linux systems. The operating systems are by their nature secure at the Kernal layer.

SV650s for SALE!!!
- 2007 SV650 Racebike-Superbike KWS/Thermosman suspension/Swenz bodywork/All GSXR Parts
- 2009 SV650 Streetbike Race blue with white stripe/No wrecks/fully faired with M4 full system

Shoot me a PM or talk to Nate (Nudist) if you're interested in purchase.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to B