DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 504
4 members and 500 guests
2blueyam, Dr.Duct_Mossburg, GRN96WS6, Triple X
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
AT&T is going to be thrilled with Apple
Unread
  (#1)
Ling Long

AT&T is going to be thrilled with Apple - January 28, 2010, 07:04 AM

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...-82842957.html

Quote:
Apple Lifts 3G VoIP Restrictions, iCall with 3G Support Available Immediately

iCall VoIP services for the Apple iPhone and iPod Touch are now available for use over 3G networks such as AT&T wireless.

GREENWICH, Conn., Jan. 27 /PRNewswire/ -- Apple Computer, Inc. has updated the iPhone developer SDK to allow VoIP over cellular networks. iCall is the first and only VoIP application that functions on the iPhone and iPod Touch over cellular 3G networks.
iCall is a market leader in desktop and mobile-based desktop calling platforms, including its highly popular version for the Apple iPhone. Until today, restrictions imposed on developers prohibited VoIP functionality on any 3G network.
VoIP on the iPhone has been the source of many debates with companies such as Google being denied access to the platform and the FCC inquiring as to the restrictions in the Apple App Store; iCall is one of the few VoIP applications that has been permitted by Apple to operate on the iPhone platform.
With the latest revisions Apple has made to the iPhone developer agreement and Software Development Kit, iCall for the iPhone and iPod Touch now enabled unrestricted free local and long distance calling over 3G data networks. iCall with support for VoIP over 3G networks is now available in the App Store for download. iCall is the first and only VoIP application available for the iPhone platform that allows use over 3G networks. iCall for the iPhone and iPod Touch may now be downloaded from the App Store at http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/icall...7001?mt=8&uo=6
iCall CEO Arlo Gilbert is quoted as saying, "I applaud Apple's decision to allow iCall to extend its functionality beyond Wi-Fi and onto the 3G networks. This heralds a new era for VoIP applications on mobile platforms, especially for iCall and our free calling model. I hope that now more developers will begin using our VoIP as a platform to integrate VoIP into their applications."
About iCall, Inc.:
iCall is a privately held company providing a free and low-cost VoIP calling platform that is currently available for your desktop PC, iPhone and iPod Touch. iCall saves consumers money on phone calling through ad-supported calling.
iCall was founded in 2005 by Arlo Gilbert and Andy Muldowney with the goal of providing low and no-cost calling services to consumers. In January 2006, iCall first released its iCall Free Calling desktop application. iCall's free calling network now boasts over more than 4 million unique downloads.
In addition to consumer products, iCall offers wholesale VoIP solutions and a developer platform through iCall Carrier Services. iCall's private network carries over 350 million minutes of voice traffic per month to destinations around the globe.
To watch a video about iCall for the iPhone click here

iCall, Inc.

203-930-2109

http://www.icall.com

U
C
Lots of
Asians
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to YaoMatt Send a message via AIM to YaoMatt Send a message via MSN to YaoMatt  
Unread
  (#2)
GP Champ

January 28, 2010, 07:12 AM

wow. I smell another lawsuit from Google on this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonstallin View Post
Stinky:
Im so excited im about to pre-blast in my pants.....then....it hits me...
I smell her arm pits and i damn near threw up!!!!
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to hfam95 Send a message via AIM to hfam95  
Unread
  (#3)
Ling Long

January 28, 2010, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfam95 View Post
wow. I smell another lawsuit from Google on this one.
Under what grounds?

U
C
Lots of
Asians
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to YaoMatt Send a message via AIM to YaoMatt Send a message via MSN to YaoMatt  
Unread
  (#4)
GP Champ

January 28, 2010, 07:20 AM

Cause Apple's whole deal with google was that it duplicated iphone functionality. iCall seems like it does everything Google Voice does. VOIP, a seperate dialer, etc. Why reject google and let this app through?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonstallin View Post
Stinky:
Im so excited im about to pre-blast in my pants.....then....it hits me...
I smell her arm pits and i damn near threw up!!!!
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to hfam95 Send a message via AIM to hfam95  
Unread
  (#5)
Ling Long

January 28, 2010, 07:24 AM

1. iCall is a third party product.
2. Google is in direct competition with Apple, who can deny service and sales to any manufacturer they choose.
3. The SDK was designed for the iPad... it just so happens that the iPad uses the iPhone's OS.

Maybe you should go back to figuring out how to make less than 10k in 10 years

U
C
Lots of
Asians
Unread
  (#6)
TPG og

January 28, 2010, 08:23 AM

I dunno...FCC's been pretty hardcore sniffing about net neutrality and AT&T has been in their sights for a while. What about Google Voice web app I posted yesterday? Same thing? Or maybe cuz this is "official" and 3G.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to b00st  
Unread
  (#7)
Traction Control

January 28, 2010, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B00STZX3 View Post
I dunno...FCC's been pretty hardcore sniffing about net neutrality and AT&T has been in their sights for a while. What about Google Voice web app I posted yesterday? Same thing? Or maybe cuz this is "official" and 3G.
google voice app doesnt apply here because it's a web interface. IE: u dont download it through the app store. if there's something that works on a website, apple/att can't do dick about it because the iphone is able to access websites.

the app store approval process is fucked up anyway. lotsa random shit goin on with it

KTM RC8R
KTM RC390 race
Yamaha R6 race
Honda CRF50 mini
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Tecknojoe  
Unread
  (#8)
TPG og

January 28, 2010, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecknojoe View Post
google voice app doesnt apply here because it's a web interface. IE: u dont download it through the app store. if there's something that works on a website, apple/att can't do dick about it because the iphone is able to access websites.

the app store approval process is fucked up anyway. lotsa random shit goin on with it
yeah i knew that...Google did an "end-run" around the app store. Defintley lotsa complaints about app store approval, they need to post up rules its driving good developers over to Android and they're quitting Iphone dev cuz of AT&T's bs.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to b00st  
Unread
  (#9)
Traction Control

January 28, 2010, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B00STZX3 View Post
yeah i knew that...Google did an "end-run" around the app store. Defintley lotsa complaints about app store approval, they need to post up rules its driving good developers over to Android and they're quitting Iphone dev cuz of AT&T's bs.
the whole market's fucked up. I've seriously considered just getting rid of the smartphone and going back to call or txt only.

... oh yea, and sxt

KTM RC8R
KTM RC390 race
Yamaha R6 race
Honda CRF50 mini
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Tecknojoe  
Unread
  (#10)
Ling Long

January 28, 2010, 08:55 AM

I think the point is being missed here.

The app will intercept GSM transmissions and convert them to VoIP and ride them across the 3G/Edge/WiFi networks respectively... and NOT use minutes on the device.

In turn, it's free calling across the US and Canada and very inexpensive international calling, to include the ability to use at an international location if you have a WiFi connection.

U
C
Lots of
Asians
Unread
  (#11)
Я - Ребенок Люциферов

January 28, 2010, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecknojoe View Post
the whole market's fucked up. I've seriously considered just getting rid of the smartphone and going back to call or txt only.

... oh yea, and sxt
thats all i have...no smart phone..
Just a LG ENV3 to talk n txt.

The Nightmare of Summit Point
WERA Nov# 325 / CCS # 326
2016 ZX10R ABS (Street) | 2011 ZX10RR(Race)
2011 R6 (Street & Track) | 2009 WR250F
GunnRunnaz.com|GR on FaceBook | www.2666ad.com|
  Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via MSN to vonstallin  
Unread
  (#12)
Eddie would go ...

January 28, 2010, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YaoMatt View Post
I think the point is being missed here.

The app will intercept GSM transmissions and convert them to VoIP and ride them across the 3G/Edge/WiFi networks respectively... and NOT use minutes on the device.

In turn, it's free calling across the US and Canada and very inexpensive international calling, to include the ability to use at an international location if you have a WiFi connection.
sounds like a native fit as opposed to the google end run

you using this Matt? sounds good

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud View Post
No one gives a fuck about your puff out your chest bravado.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#13)
Ling Long

January 28, 2010, 11:20 AM

Haven't tried it yet. I plan on doing some extensive research with it this weekend.

U
C
Lots of
Asians
Unread
  (#14)
Eddie would go ...

January 28, 2010, 04:02 PM

initial feedback

call quality is fine - when you connect. Seeing as how iCall has been getting mega media coverage with this announcement - I'll let that slide and see how their servers hold up during the week.

Free calls - outbound only. If you want inbound you are paying $9.99 per month I believe (there is a trial for this option that converts to paid)

App is pretty slick - all your contacts are used as normal. Looks like a better version of the regular phone app. One verification call and your mobile phone number will show as the origination on caller ID - nice (if you are not a stalker..)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud View Post
No one gives a fuck about your puff out your chest bravado.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#15)
Ling Long

January 28, 2010, 04:42 PM

The biggest drawback I've found so far is the lack of speaker phone... drat.

U
C
Lots of
Asians