DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 679
3 members and 676 guests
2blueyam, GRN96WS6, Sal_the_man
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Tablet Advice (Windows 8)
Unread
  (#1)
turn or crash....

Tablet Advice (Windows 8) - November 25, 2013, 10:00 AM

First off,

Phone is Android GS3. My kid has a Nexus 7, but that is really just for gaming. I want something a bit more productive. Looking at Windows 8 tablets. Dell's Venue 8 pro and Venue 11 look to be pretty nice. The 8 has the newer Atom processor, runs full Windows 8 (not the RT BS) So I can run real programs etc. With the right adapters it should even allow you to push 2-4 monitors with it, along with keyboard/mouse etc. But I'm torn, I like the smaller form factor of my kids N7 because I can throw it in a jacket pocket, hell even fits in my jeans pocket. But I'm debating on how "productive" I would be on a 8" tablet?

The pros for the Venue 11 for me:
ability to have Core i3 / i5 processors, Ability to have more RAM (2GB seems really crappy but reviews of the Venue 8 have people running photoshop etc... so guess it works..)

Any other tablets I should be looking into? I'm not really impressed with the iPads honestly, I know the displays are better than the Dell's, but I'm not planning on doing much gaming etc on this thing. I want something that is good on battery, and I can take with me easier than my laptop for the "oh shit" moments when I need to login to work and fix stuff, hence why I want the full blown Widows 8 and not the RT.

Thanks for any advice, feedback etc..

- djkouza
############
Bikes: I might own one...
############
djkouza - XBOX
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to djkouza  
Unread
  (#2)
Я - Ребенок Люциферов

November 25, 2013, 10:44 AM

I have not warmed up to Windows 8 yet....not from a tech level, but the GUI and the re-arrangement.

It seems like I always end up loving every other version they put out.

I was a Mac person from 1991 to 1998....
Didnt like Windows 3.1
Loved Windows 95
didnt like NT much
Loved Windows 98
Loved Windows 2000 desktop and server
hated Windows ME
Loved to death Windows XP
Not a huge fan of Windows Vista
Love Windows 7...my favorite so far
have not warmed up to Windows 8 yet.

I will be in the market for a tablet soon.
I have built every computer I use since 1998 and If I brought a lap top or desktop for others it has always been Dell.
I think that even with other tablets superior build....I will just get what have never let me down....Dell Tablet.

I did not care for my iPad much...then again I got it when they where sorta new to the market and I did not know what the hell to use it for. I also do not play games and it did not play Flash so I sold it.

The Nightmare of Summit Point
WERA Nov# 325 / CCS # 326
2016 ZX10R ABS (Street) | 2011 ZX10RR(Race)
2011 R6 (Street & Track) | 2009 WR250F
GunnRunnaz.com|GR on FaceBook | www.2666ad.com|
  Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via MSN to vonstallin  
Unread
  (#3)
Sewing Machine Rider

November 25, 2013, 10:49 AM

I actually like Windows 8. I don't really use the touch\tile interface that often, but overall I'd definitely call it a step up. YMMV
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#4)
turn or crash....

November 25, 2013, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_sur View Post
I actually like Windows 8. I don't really use the touch\tile interface that often, but overall I'd definitely call it a step up. YMMV
Quote:
Originally Posted by vonstallin View Post
I have not warmed up to Windows 8 yet....not from a tech level, but the GUI and the re-arrangement.

Love Windows 7...my favorite so far
have not warmed up to Windows 8 yet.

I will be in the market for a tablet soon.
I have built every computer I use since 1998 and If I brought a lap top or desktop for others it has always been Dell.
I think that even with other tablets superior build....I will just get what have never let me down....Dell Tablet.

I did not care for my iPad much...then again I got it when they where sorta new to the market and I did not know what the hell to use it for. I also do not play games and it did not play Flash so I sold it.
Windows 8's Tile/Metro interface definitely fits a touch device. Even a laptop with a touch screen it works for me. On a desktop w/o touch and the interface is bloody hell. (Von use Start Menu 8 IObit Start Menu 8 for Windows 8 Free download, Bring Windows 8 Start Menu back) I install that on Windows 8 machines even with touch interfaces, you can configure it to basically do nothing or to make the computer act like a Normal Windows 7 style start Menu. There are other nuances to Windows 8, but that one takes care of most of my gripes I had with Win 8.

Also agree, Dells have never done me wrong, my work pc is an optiplex, home I've got Studio XPS, and Laptop is Dell. May not be the "slickest" machines, but they have held up well.

- djkouza
############
Bikes: I might own one...
############
djkouza - XBOX
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to djkouza  
Unread
  (#5)
Im Always Down to Ride

November 25, 2013, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djkouza View Post
Windows 8's Tile/Metro interface definitely fits a touch device. Even a laptop with a touch screen it works for me. On a desktop w/o touch and the interface is bloody hell. (Von use Start Menu 8 IObit Start Menu 8 for Windows 8 Free download, Bring Windows 8 Start Menu back) I install that on Windows 8 machines even with touch interfaces, you can configure it to basically do nothing or to make the computer act like a Normal Windows 7 style start Menu. There are other nuances to Windows 8, but that one takes care of most of my gripes I had with Win 8.

Also agree, Dells have never done me wrong, my work pc is an optiplex, home I've got Studio XPS, and Laptop is Dell. May not be the "slickest" machines, but they have held up well.

I literally just installed Windows 8.1 Pro yesterday to my laptop and it made a significant difference in performance from 7. Everything worked much more smooth and crisp. I just minimized the tiles to show the full desktop look like 7 and its been perfect.

My laptop is Dual Core 2ghz, with 3 gb of ram. So nothing major but working much better.

Remember when sex was safe and motorcycles were dangerous?

Speed kills, ride a Yamaha!

MotorSport/PowerSport Auctions

Last edited by bds120; November 25, 2013 at 11:31 AM..
Unread
  (#6)
Sewing Machine Rider

November 25, 2013, 11:43 AM

Quote:

Yeah, I have an X1 Carbon Touch, but I just don't see the point of it on a laptop. 98% of the time, I'm in desktop mode. The new start is very consumerish and I mainly use my laptop for work. I think all the things that they're trying to do with the tiles, I would rather do on a tablet.

At first I thought touch screen was very cool, but now I've realized I have my laptop docked most of the time so it's mainly just useful on airplanes or at client sites.
Unread
  (#7)
Я - Ребенок Люциферов

November 26, 2013, 02:13 AM

Quote:

I would have to install that...because after 2 decades of having some kind of start button....I just cant give it up now.

I only use windows 8 on my GF laptop and it burns my balls...
I understand why they are doing this....if the tablet OS, windows phone and desktop/laptop OS are the same....easier for some to make the transition and stay with Microsoft products and they save money on developing 2 to 3 OS.

Then my balls begins to burn, because I know that I will not get a Windows Phone, or a Windows based tablet....

Ill die a Android phone and Tablet user....so Id only use it for desktops and laptops....again Im old...I like desktops lol.

thanks for the link.....
you have no idea how much "Hope" you have given me for the future of windows OS.

I think I will skip windows 8 since I have my very first legal copy's of an OS (windows 7....brought two copy's in 2011)

The Nightmare of Summit Point
WERA Nov# 325 / CCS # 326
2016 ZX10R ABS (Street) | 2011 ZX10RR(Race)
2011 R6 (Street & Track) | 2009 WR250F
GunnRunnaz.com|GR on FaceBook | www.2666ad.com|
  Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via MSN to vonstallin