DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 216
1 members and 215 guests
davidcycle
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Tacomas and Payload
Unread
  (#1)
GP Champ

Tacomas and Payload - November 27, 2007, 04:26 PM

According to my trusty owner manual my truck with 2 persons aboard has a published "cargo weight rating" of 900#. It suffer terribly from bottoming with my normal load of about 400#. I found a TSB that leads to replacing the leaf springs to a 4 leaf. While I was in Ourisman Chantilly Toyota today I inquired about the TSB. They said that there is a problem with the springs flatening, well mine are. They also said the actual payload capsity in only 545#! WTF! Um its a truck not a wagon. Oh, and because my 06 has 50k.....have a nice day.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
B
It goes to 11.

November 27, 2007, 04:34 PM

My tacoma just hauled an enclosed trailer, two bikes, a full bed of tools/wheels/equipment/spares... and I forgot anything was behind it several times. We estimate around 2500-3000 lbs of stuff.

dunno man....

06 ex-cab 4.0L TRD Offroad... RAWR!!!!

SV650s for SALE!!!
- 2007 SV650 Racebike-Superbike KWS/Thermosman suspension/Swenz bodywork/All GSXR Parts
- 2009 SV650 Streetbike Race blue with white stripe/No wrecks/fully faired with M4 full system

Shoot me a PM or talk to Nate (Nudist) if you're interested in purchase.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to B  
Unread
  (#3)
Dressed for Success

November 27, 2007, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixrB
My tacoma just hauled an enclosed trailer, two bikes, a full bed of tools/wheels/equipment/spares... and I forgot anything was behind it several times. We estimate around 2500-3000 lbs of stuff.

dunno man....

That's not payload.

Edit: Well sort of, but doesn't seem near the 900lbs he was talking about.

Last edited by Ninja636; November 27, 2007 at 04:43 PM..
Unread
  (#4)
B
It goes to 11.

November 27, 2007, 04:47 PM

I've always understood payload to be weight of cargo...

I could be wrong. The cool thing is it was all on my rear springs and I didn't really have any problems.

Perhaps you could clarify the issue.

SV650s for SALE!!!
- 2007 SV650 Racebike-Superbike KWS/Thermosman suspension/Swenz bodywork/All GSXR Parts
- 2009 SV650 Streetbike Race blue with white stripe/No wrecks/fully faired with M4 full system

Unread
  (#5)
Dressed for Success

November 27, 2007, 04:53 PM

Quote:

I could be wrong. The cool thing is it was all on my rear springs and I didn't really have any problems.

Well most of the weight you listed is on the wheels of your trailer. What's the tongue weight of the trailer? 500lbs (Class 3 - see that other thread)? So do you have 400lbs of tools/spares that you put in the truck bed? If you do, hey buddy, wanna be my friend?
Unread
  (#6)
GP Champ

November 27, 2007, 04:54 PM

Quote:

dunno man....

Sir, I know you get a woody for your Taco. To me it is nothing more than a tool. If a TSB has been issued I must not be alone in my concern. I have no clue who the service manager was talking or where they got the info but, 545 is a long way from 900. this time of year I also pull a 2800# pound trailer 2 or 3 times a week. There is no question it PULLS at trailer without problem.
Unread
  (#7)
B
It goes to 11.

November 27, 2007, 04:58 PM

Marc, do you think we had 400+ pounds of spares?

I'd imagine it was around there, we could have fixed a semi on the way down, spare wheels, gas cans, easily well over 400 lbs in the bed. I would imagine it was more like 500+ plus the tongue weight... once again fellas... dont know what to tell you the math's pretty simple...

You're going to have to be Marcs friend, he's the one with every tool imaginable to mankind. In any case is your truck a 2x4?

SV650s for SALE!!!

Last edited by B; November 27, 2007 at 05:01 PM..
Unread
  (#8)
GP Champ

November 27, 2007, 05:04 PM

Quote:

I'd imagine it was around there, we could have fixed a semi on the way down, spare wheels, gas cans, easily well over 400 lbs in the bed. I would imagine it was more like 500+ plus the tongue weight... once again fellas... dont know what to tell you the math's pretty simple...

You're going to have to be Marcs friend, he's the one with every tool imaginable to mankind. In any case is your truck a 2x4?
4x4 double cab, 4.0 5spd auto.
Unread
  (#9)
Railing!

November 27, 2007, 05:08 PM

Quote:

Payload is generally the vertical component of load, supported by the vehicle's frame and suspension, onto the tires. People, fuel, items in the cab or bed, and tongue weight are all components pushing down.

Towing capacity is the horizontal component of weight the vehilcle can pull. It is almost always several times the payload capacity, because the trailer wheels support it, but can very with the design strength of the hitch and its mounting hardware, the frame, suspension components, vehicle braking capacity (and trailer braking capacity), etc.
Unread
  (#10)
Agitator

November 27, 2007, 05:20 PM

Quote:

hmm...
15gal of gas = 90lbs
SV wheels and tires = 40lbs?
spare front and rear tire = 20lbs?
big bin = 40-50lbs
little bin = 30lbs
box o' electrical = 10lbs
toolbox = 80lbs
ramp = 20lbs
two full sets of gear @ 20lbs each
say 10lbs of clothes and stuff each
marc+ben = 410lbs

payload in truck: 810lbs (ish, half in the bed) + 200lbs of tongue weight

small trailer with two bikes, (haulmark 5x8 ) 1100lbs + 900lbs of bikes and stands, 2000lbs

Just wait till next year...my tool inventory has been decreasing, next year I'm going all out

Marc
CCS Amateur #851
2001 Ducati 850RS
2006 SV650 Racebike
2010 CBR1000RR

...and because sometimes you want to go fast, but need 4 wheels:
2009 Nissan GT-R
2003 Nissan 350Z (for sale, $11k OBO)
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to birdman  
Unread
  (#11)
Railing!

Wink November 27, 2007, 05:26 PM

[quote=PitPig]Payload is generally the vertical component of load, supported by the vehicle's frame and suspension, onto the tires. People, fuel, items in the cab or bed, and tongue weight are all components pushing down. quote]

By the way, this is one issue you can control to some extent. If you think you have a tongue weight/ truck payload issue, it is possible to adjust the tongue weight by shifting some of the load in the trailer to the rear. That moves the Center of Gravity aft in the trailer and unloads the tongue. Most trailers suggest that about 65% of the weight be forward of the trailer wheels/35% aft. You could shift to 60/40 to lighten the tongue a little, and or move you cargo forward in the truck bed. But, do NOT shift too much weight aft...if you unload the tongue too much, it can place upward pressure on the ball connection when the vehicle/trailers bounces and potentially cause the trailer adapter to bounce off the ball (if the connection is loose or the capture clip breaks), then you lose the load!!! CG management is a real art!!!
Unread
  (#12)
B
It goes to 11.

November 27, 2007, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja636
So do you have 400lbs of tools/spares that you put in the truck bed? If you do, hey buddy, wanna be my friend?
see marc's post

SV650s for SALE!!!

Unread
  (#13)
singin sweet home alabama

November 27, 2007, 06:36 PM

Tacoma rear suspensions have always been pretty soft. The pre-05's used to sag to hell if you loaded them. My 05 hauled 700 lbs of mostly cinder blocks & misc junk back in summer of 05 - it was sagging, but not bottoming. That said if you're intending to regularly haul 700+ lbs you should have gotten a Tundra I would think.

That said, my bike full of gas has to be at least 400 pounds, and I've had it in the bed of my Tacoma so many times I can't even count - without it noticeably sagging, much less bottoming out.

Are you sure there's not something specifically wrong with your truck?

btw - I have no dog in this good taco, bad taco fight, I don't have my Taco anymore.

"No race has ever been won in the first corner, but plenty have been lost there."

Last edited by DvlsAdvc8; November 27, 2007 at 07:03 PM..
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via MSN to DvlsAdvc8  
Unread
  (#14)
Dressed for Success

November 27, 2007, 07:28 PM

Quote:
see marc's post
Hi Marc

Unread
  (#15)
Agitator

November 27, 2007, 08:13 PM

hi ninja636

drop by our pit anytime at a TD or a race, I'm always working on something (since the guys I race with I don't trust to do anything other than ride faster than me, I'm the one doin' all the fixin')

Marc
CCS Amateur #851
2001 Ducati 850RS
2006 SV650 Racebike
2010 CBR1000RR

...and because sometimes you want to go fast, but need 4 wheels:
2009 Nissan GT-R
2003 Nissan 350Z (for sale, $11k OBO)
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to birdman