DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 570
2 members and 568 guests
legendindisguise, nootherids
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Tax and Spend...
Unread
  (#1)
AMA Superbike Champ

Tax and Spend... - April 25, 2007, 10:44 AM

Thought you would appreciate that Fairfax was highlighted in USA Today...

"Higher tax rates. Many local governments where home values have softened including the Washington, D.C., suburbs of Northern Virginia are increasing tax rates to offset lower assessments. The city of Fairfax, Va., for example, plans to raise its tax rate by 4.5% to offset a 3% decline in house values."

Whole Article: http://www.usatoday.com/money/econom...erty-tax_N.htm

Feel free to vent....
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to CBontheMV  
Unread
  (#2)
Site Owner

April 25, 2007, 10:47 AM

They already fucked me on my taxes last year... appraised my house for 100,000$ more than its actual value and taxed me on that... sent in a "reassessment notice" and never heard anything back from them.

Totally sweet. Fuck VA.

(O|||||||O) and (0OO\(||||)(||||)/OO0)

Help support DCSportbikes.net! Become a Premier Member today!

Katie #135.

Nudist: If Ben isnt still riding me, then I need it
B: that sounds odd
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to ClemsonJeeper  
Unread
  (#3)
Squid Rider 4 Life!!

April 25, 2007, 11:09 AM

Would Maryland do the same stuff??
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to ArRrR6  
Unread
  (#4)
#47 GODSPEED BAMBAM

April 25, 2007, 11:19 AM

Same thing happened in Loudoun county. Fackers uped the rate when housing prices went down. My house went down 100 grand yet my tax was still about the same! Fuckers still are money hungry!!

www.RnRcycles.com

Home of RNR Repsol Racing.

Missing all my fallen friends and family! If Life Was Easy Then Everyone Would Do It!
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#5)
Site ADMIN

April 25, 2007, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonJeeper

sent in a "reassessment notice" and never heard anything back from them.

wait,wait,wait you can do that??

fak!

This post was prepared as a service to the DCSportbikes.net community. Neither the DCSportbikes.net ADMINS nor any of the moderators, makes any warranty, expressed or implied, or assumes any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information, product, link, or process disclosed, or represents that its use would not infringe privately owned rights. Reference herein to any specific commercial products, process, or service by trade name, trademark manufacturer, or otherwise, does not necessarily constitute or imply its endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by DCSportbikes.net. The opinions of this author expressed herein do not necessarily state or reflect those of the DCSportbikes.net community, and shall not be used for advertising or product endorsement purposes.
__________________________________________________ ________

Alex
13 Honda Fury
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to spud Send a message via MSN to spud  
Unread
  (#6)
Like a clown car on fire

April 25, 2007, 02:47 PM

You can do it, but it doesnt help... I sent in a contention of their assessment rate, went down to city hall to argue it armed with a years worth of local sales data, averages, spreadsheets, graphs, etc. It was all over their heads, they basically ignored all I said and lowered my assessment 8k (it was about 80k over) to shut me up. It saved me a whopping $40 over the year... It actualyl cost me more to take half the day off to go to city hall than it saved me..

Their reasoning was that their rates always trailed about 6 months behind, so this year's assessment would be low, it would balance out. This year my asessment dropped by 100k (crap!), but of course now they gotta jack up my % taxed, so I'm still screwed.

Don't bother fighting the assessment, those people are idiots, it's a waste of time.

-Chloroform-
For when she doesn't know she wants it.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Thwack  
Unread
  (#7)
Site ADMIN

April 25, 2007, 03:02 PM

Economists do it with models.

This post was prepared as a service to the DCSportbikes.net community. Neither the DCSportbikes.net ADMINS nor any of the moderators, makes any warranty, expressed or implied, or assumes any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information, product, link, or process disclosed, or represents that its use would not infringe privately owned rights. Reference herein to any specific commercial products, process, or service by trade name, trademark manufacturer, or otherwise, does not necessarily constitute or imply its endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by DCSportbikes.net. The opinions of this author expressed herein do not necessarily state or reflect those of the DCSportbikes.net community, and shall not be used for advertising or product endorsement purposes.
__________________________________________________ ________

Alex
13 Honda Fury
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to spud Send a message via MSN to spud  
Unread
  (#8)
itsOnlyWrongIfuGetCaught

April 25, 2007, 03:08 PM

Like everything I'm severely conflicted. While I see why taxes exsist I still think that it is bullshit that I get payed then I'm taxed, I buy something and I'm taxed and even if I've already bought something I have to pay taxes on it anyway.

I know it's not really what you guys are talking about but.........

"I'm ready for a commitment Harry. First time I set eyes on Mary Swanson I just got that old-fashioned romantic feeling, where I'd do anything to bone her."
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#9)
singin sweet home alabama

April 25, 2007, 03:44 PM

Not that I know much on this subject, but property taxes are retarded to me. I've heard of people having to move because their house went up in value so much that they could no longer pay the taxes. That's bullshit.

All taxes should be income taxes (fak sales tax too). That way you're not being taxed for something you really didn't earn ... like the increase in the value of your home - and revenues are more consistent year to year. Of course, when you sell your home, the additional money you get because you're home went up in value ought to be taxed then.

But it seems stupid to me to tax people more when they aren't necessarily making more. Nothing changed for the taxpayer except their tax went up without even an official tax hike to debate.

"No race has ever been won in the first corner, but plenty have been lost there."
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via MSN to DvlsAdvc8  
Unread
  (#10)
AMA Superbike Champ

April 25, 2007, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DvlsAdvc8
Not that I know much on this subject, but property taxes are retarded to me. I've heard of people having to move because their house went up in value so much that they could no longer pay the taxes. That's bullshit.

All taxes should be income taxes (fak sales tax too). That way you're not being taxed for something you really didn't earn ... like the increase in the value of your home - and revenues are more consistent year to year. Of course, when you sell your home, the additional money you get because you're home went up in value ought to be taxed then.

But it seems stupid to me to tax people more when they aren't necessarily making more. Nothing changed for the taxpayer except their tax went up without even an official tax hike to debate.
How about the estate tax? Someone earns $, pays tax on it and when they die, whatever is left of their savings gets taxed again before it goes to heirs. Anyone care to chime in on how that's not double taxation?
Unread
  (#11)
Site Owner

April 25, 2007, 06:02 PM

suck it up I guess. We live in the USA, have to play by the rules...

Every official pre-office always touts lowering taxes... of course until they actually get into office when things change.

(O|||||||O) and (0OO\(||||)(||||)/OO0)

Help support DCSportbikes.net! Become a Premier Member today!

Katie #135.

Nudist: If Ben isnt still riding me, then I need it
B: that sounds odd
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to ClemsonJeeper  
Unread
  (#12)
ATTN INVESTORS!

April 25, 2007, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonJeeper
suck it up I guess. We live in the USA, have to play by the rules...

Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to rekoniz  
Unread
  (#13)

April 25, 2007, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBontheMV
How about the estate tax? Someone earns $, pays tax on it and when they die, whatever is left of their savings gets taxed again before it goes to heirs. Anyone care to chime in on how that's not double taxation?
Well theres at least a half-way argument for that... the inheritance becomes income to the heirs.

There's no argument for taxing someone more simply because his neighborhood became more desirable (ie - prices went up). The homeowner isn't getting anymore money, but suddenly they have to pay more taxes? Whats worse is that they don't get to vote on this increase in tax they have to pay - IMO, all tax increases should go directly to a popular vote.

"No race has ever been won in the first corner, but plenty have been lost there."
Unread
  (#14)
AMA Superbike Champ

April 25, 2007, 08:46 PM

[quote=DvlsAdvc8]Well theres at least a half-way argument for that... the inheritance becomes income to the heirs.

[quote]

You have a point. Except, if I leave my heirs $1, the gov't takes a cut of that. If they leave the $0.65 that I left them to their heirs, it gets taxed again and so on and so forth until eventually the entire $1 goes to the gov't.
Unread
  (#15)

April 25, 2007, 10:03 PM

[quote=CBontheMV][quote=DvlsAdvc8]Well theres at least a half-way argument for that... the inheritance becomes income to the heirs.

Quote:

You have a point. Except, if I leave my heirs $1, the gov't takes a cut of that. If they leave the $0.65 that I left them to their heirs, it gets taxed again and so on and so forth until eventually the entire $1 goes to the gov't.
Like I said, its because its income to the heir. Personally, I think its more fvcked that one is taxed on something they already own, such as a house. Its like no matter what you do you're paying on that bish forever. lol