DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 550
4 members and 546 guests
2blueyam, nootherids, Scot, tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Tech Question: IE + ActiveX on Mac
Unread
  (#1)
Site ADMIN

Tech Question: IE + ActiveX on Mac - July 19, 2012, 08:57 AM

My father wants to work from home. He got a new iMac last summer. He can connect to OWA with Safari, chrome, or Mozilla. However, his LAN access was made in house and it only supports IE5+ with activex.
Dual boot is not an option. I would rather not use a VM and install a whole windows OS just for fucking IE.
I tried the FF/chrome ADD-ons that make the site think its IE. Didnt work. I did find the DARWINE project that is now just WINE. The guy that keeps it up with the accompanying WINEbottler seems like the answer, but I cant get the IE prefix's to work.
When i install Wine, the default install of DOS prompt, File manager, and control panel all work. However, when i try to install IE6,7 or 8 prefix only IE8 will actually give me a browser. Unfortunately once i type in a url the browser crashes. Selecting the checkboxes with winetrix does show it installing IE, but as stated prior, no workie.
When i try using winebottler to add the prefix's, it errors out on the install.
I also found the .dmg to the last IE that microsoft made for the MAC (circa 2004). Again didnt work b/c i get an error that OSX doesnt support powerPC anymore.
Any suggestions? Any other "emulators" out there?
I have an old laptop that works, so i may just put that on his LAN, and since he has office 2011 on his mac, he can use the remote desktop to connect to the laptop. Not pretty, but probably the best solution, but hoping for something better.
Thanks.

This post was prepared as a service to the DCSportbikes.net community. Neither the DCSportbikes.net ADMINS nor any of the moderators, makes any warranty, expressed or implied, or assumes any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information, product, link, or process disclosed, or represents that its use would not infringe privately owned rights. Reference herein to any specific commercial products, process, or service by trade name, trademark manufacturer, or otherwise, does not necessarily constitute or imply its endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by DCSportbikes.net. The opinions of this author expressed herein do not necessarily state or reflect those of the DCSportbikes.net community, and shall not be used for advertising or product endorsement purposes.
__________________________________________________ ________

Alex
13 Honda Fury
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to spud Send a message via MSN to spud  
Unread
  (#2)
SRWJTS SGT-At-Arms

July 19, 2012, 09:03 AM

Use a vm in unity mode. That's about the only way you'll get reliable activex on Mac .

And it's better than a whole separate computer

Wine and wine bottler are terrible for ie

-Fitz

2016 Harley Softail Slim S
2012 Harley Ultra Limited in Ultra Annoying Orange Sold!
2012 V-Strom 1000 Sold!
2009 Buell 1125R Sold!
2005 Superhawk Sold!
2001 Superhawk Abandoned!
1981 CB650C Destroyed!

Brace Yourselves... the cries of "It's too cold to ride" are coming...

Last edited by Fitz; July 19, 2012 at 09:06 AM..
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
Site ADMIN

July 19, 2012, 09:09 AM

but i dont want to install a whole fucking OS VM for fucking IE!

This post was prepared as a service to the DCSportbikes.net community. Neither the DCSportbikes.net ADMINS nor any of the moderators, makes any warranty, expressed or implied, or assumes any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information, product, link, or process disclosed, or represents that its use would not infringe privately owned rights. Reference herein to any specific commercial products, process, or service by trade name, trademark manufacturer, or otherwise, does not necessarily constitute or imply its endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by DCSportbikes.net. The opinions of this author expressed herein do not necessarily state or reflect those of the DCSportbikes.net community, and shall not be used for advertising or product endorsement purposes.

Alex
13 Honda Fury
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to spud Send a message via MSN to spud  
Unread
  (#4)
SRWJTS SGT-At-Arms

July 19, 2012, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud
but i dont want to install a whole fucking OS VM for fucking IE!
So, you don't wan the best, most stable solution

Got ya

I went down this road at RFA. Trust me. Ask stillie. I went through every combination of emulators , plugins and hacks because a web app that users needed required ie and activex

Parallels or fusion in unity mode is the best option

-Fitz

2012 V-Strom 1000 Sold!
2009 Buell 1125R Sold!
2005 Superhawk Sold!
1981 CB650C Destroyed!

Last edited by Fitz; July 19, 2012 at 09:13 AM..
Unread
  (#5)
B
It goes to 11.

July 19, 2012, 09:17 AM

Fitzer is dead on. The emulators are unstable, build a VM and use in unity mode, and his user experience will basically be identical but with added functionality.

SV650s for SALE!!!
- 2007 SV650 Racebike-Superbike KWS/Thermosman suspension/Swenz bodywork/All GSXR Parts
- 2009 SV650 Streetbike Race blue with white stripe/No wrecks/fully faired with M4 full system

Shoot me a PM or talk to Nate (Nudist) if you're interested in purchase.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to B  
Unread
  (#6)
Site ADMIN

July 19, 2012, 09:19 AM

reddit suggested: Downloads

You guys ever use virtualbox? Its free. i dont think i have a copy of windows with a valid key lying around. Maybe an old XP disk.....

Alex
13 Honda Fury
Unread
  (#7)
SRWJTS SGT-At-Arms

July 19, 2012, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud
reddit suggested: Downloads

You guys ever use virtualbox? Its free. i dont think i have a copy of windows with a valid key lying around. Maybe an old XP disk.....
Virtualbox is ok. On Mac, kinda buggy.

For Mac emulation though, you can't beat VMware fusion.

You don't have a technet key you can use?

-Fitz

2012 V-Strom 1000 Sold!
2009 Buell 1125R Sold!
2005 Superhawk Sold!
1981 CB650C Destroyed!

Unread
  (#8)
#swag

July 19, 2012, 09:26 AM

+1 for VMware fusion.

Find an old decommissioned laptop and grab the XP key off the bottom. I might have one if you can't find one.

Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Nick  
Unread
  (#9)
B
It goes to 11.

July 19, 2012, 09:28 AM

I use Parallels. I think you can still get a version of Windows 8 beta for free... might work.

SV650s for SALE!!!
- 2007 SV650 Racebike-Superbike KWS/Thermosman suspension/Swenz bodywork/All GSXR Parts
- 2009 SV650 Streetbike Race blue with white stripe/No wrecks/fully faired with M4 full system

Unread
  (#10)
Site ADMIN

July 19, 2012, 09:50 AM

nope, i dont have technet....

I have fusion on my own mac, but didnt want my dad to have to pay for that ish..

Alex
13 Honda Fury
Unread
  (#11)
Site ADMIN

July 19, 2012, 09:53 AM

guy on reddit said on wineskin he got IE 6 and IE7 to work.

Alex
13 Honda Fury
Unread
  (#12)
B
It goes to 11.

July 19, 2012, 10:02 AM

Give it a try. Parallels is $70, my time isn't worth trying to shoehorn something in for 4 hours, and then have it kinda work. IE6 and IE7 aren't supported (much longer?) either.

I use Parallels for other applications as well, so it makes a lot of sense for me. What's your hourly compensation package at, Alex? Betcha you could cover the cost in 1 hr of work...

SV650s for SALE!!!

Unread
  (#13)
Site Owner

July 19, 2012, 10:04 AM

technically, IE6 has been EOL for at least 2 years now. in the real world, its still all over the place... which sucks when writing webapps.

(O|||||||O) and (0OO\(||||)(||||)/OO0)

Help support DCSportbikes.net! Become a Premier Member today!

Katie #135.

Nudist: If Ben isnt still riding me, then I need it
B: that sounds odd
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to ClemsonJeeper  
Unread
  (#14)
SRWJTS SGT-At-Arms

July 19, 2012, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B
Give it a try. Parallels is $70, my time isn't worth trying to shoehorn something in for 4 hours, and then have it kinda work. IE6 and IE7 aren't supported (much longer?) either.

I use Parallels for other applications as well, so it makes a lot of sense for me. What's your hourly compensation package at, Alex? Betcha you could cover the cost in 1 hr of work...
This

Free isn't free if it takes a ton of your time

I played with emulators for ie6 and it took a ton of time for an ultimately unacceptable result

-Fitz

2012 V-Strom 1000 Sold!
2009 Buell 1125R Sold!
2005 Superhawk Sold!
1981 CB650C Destroyed!

Unread
  (#15)
B
It goes to 11.

July 19, 2012, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonJeeper View Post
technically, IE6 has been EOL for at least 2 years now. in the real world, its still all over the place... which sucks when writing webapps.
The Dept. I work at was running IE6 until 6 months ago. Now half the internal webpages don't work on IE7 and it's made a lot of the webapps unusable because they were written for it. Huge mess. Gonna be bigger when we finally move to WIN7 and IE8.

SV650s for SALE!!!