DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 411
1 members and 410 guests
davidcycle
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Tesla Demonstrates Battery Swap in Model S
Unread
  (#1)
Licensed Rider

Tesla Demonstrates Battery Swap in Model S - June 21, 2013, 07:15 AM

Look like Tesla is finally making an real case for the electric car with a automated 90 second battery swap for the Model S. I really hope they succeed, because I would like to move to an electric car in my lifetime. Can you imagine what awesome shit we could have if all billionaires were dreamers and visionaries like Elon Musk? Hopefully the Big 3 follow suit and adopt Tesla as the standard platform...

Tesla Model S Battery Swap Demonstration

'06 Yamaha R6 50th Anniversary
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
MSF Student

June 21, 2013, 07:31 AM

They look nice, but need to come way down in rice to be cost effective. Even using their math, it would take just over seven years to break even and then you have to pay another 10K to replace the battery at 8 years. So maybe by year 10 or 11 you can finally break even. Now, that's only for the smallest battery version with a range of about 230 miles (going 55 mph) and hours to recharge. I like the idea and prices will drop once they become more mainstream. If swapping batteries was free (other than a service charge), they would be viable for long trips. I think they need to stop improving current vehicle mpg for this to really take off.
Unread
  (#3)
Sewing Machine Rider

June 21, 2013, 08:09 AM

Sounds pretty sweet to me. If I were looking at $75-85k cars, and also had a gas car in the family, this would definitely be on the list. Cars in this price range aren't sold solely on lowest cost.
Unread
  (#4)
Stand Collector

June 21, 2013, 08:15 AM

Is it wrong that I want a Tesla Model S body with an LS9?

899 Panigale
Unread
  (#5)
B
It goes to 11.

June 21, 2013, 08:31 AM

A couple of things will need to happen for this to catch on, and they are and will happen in the next decade according to current trending.

1 - Batteries need to become significantly better. Harvard University just created a miniature battery by 3D printing an anode and cathode comb set. I think that we are going to see batteries like what are in the iPhone get so good in the next few years that the need to charge will become a monthly process instead of daily.

2 - Fossil fuel will need to become costly enough that it legitimizes costs in other fuel or fuel storage technologies like electric battery. Unless something changes I think we're going to slowly see gasoline creep up well over 5-7$ in the next decade.

SV650s for SALE!!!
- 2007 SV650 Racebike-Superbike KWS/Thermosman suspension/Swenz bodywork/All GSXR Parts
- 2009 SV650 Streetbike Race blue with white stripe/No wrecks/fully faired with M4 full system

Shoot me a PM or talk to Nate (Nudist) if you're interested in purchase.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to B  
Unread
  (#6)
Mojito Anyone?

June 21, 2013, 08:53 AM

looks like you got the same email I got this morning

ay ya yay
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to onel0wcubn Send a message via AIM to onel0wcubn  
Unread
  (#7)
Licensed Rider

June 21, 2013, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B View Post
A couple of things will need to happen for this to catch on, and they are and will happen in the next decade according to current trending.

1 - Batteries need to become significantly better. Harvard University just created a miniature battery by 3D printing an anode and cathode comb set. I think that we are going to see batteries like what are in the iPhone get so good in the next few years that the need to charge will become a monthly process instead of daily.

2 - Fossil fuel will need to become costly enough that it legitimizes costs in other fuel or fuel storage technologies like electric battery. Unless something changes I think we're going to slowly see gasoline creep up well over 5-7$ in the next decade.
I agree with both points. I saw the Harvard story the other day and that innovation should help lead to a point of having very dense battery designs, which should help with increasing range and bringing down costs. If batteries can start to be "printed", that will really help with availability.

'06 Yamaha R6 50th Anniversary
Unread
  (#8)
Я - Ребенок Люциферов

June 21, 2013, 12:30 PM

Um....was the guy filling up his 40 gallon boat?
Dude said they found the fastest pump station in LA....10 gallons a minute.
My truck have a big ass tank and thats only 21 gallons. that car dude have should have been filled in less time they posted....

The Nightmare of Summit Point
WERA Nov# 325 / CCS # 326
2016 ZX10R ABS (Street) | 2011 ZX10RR(Race)
2011 R6 (Street & Track) | 2009 WR250F
GunnRunnaz.com|GR on FaceBook | www.2666ad.com|
  Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via MSN to vonstallin  
Unread
  (#9)
poz top looking 4 neg bot

June 21, 2013, 01:08 PM

$90k car with the interior of a $40k car sans that glorious nav screen.

horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you
Unread
  (#10)
No more 1050 :(

June 21, 2013, 01:22 PM

I'm in Silicon Valley now, have been seeing a couple of these each day. Sexy cars.
Unread
  (#11)
Give me the Ban Button!

June 21, 2013, 01:30 PM

We have a model S here at work and I can not wait to get it for a couple days.

MY SPELLING SUCKS....DEAL WITH IT

MyCanikon.net A place to hang out if you are interested in talking photography.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Nubbs Send a message via AIM to Nubbs  
Unread
  (#12)
Groping is a skill...

June 21, 2013, 01:34 PM

Why can't they just start using Ironmans chest plate for power?

2015 KTM Super Duke 1290 R
2013 Victory Vision Tour
K7 Gixxer 600 - Track Only
RnR Cycles Touched & Tuned

I grope suckaz!!! -
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#13)
Your Ad Here

June 21, 2013, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow View Post
$90k car with the interior of a $40k car sans that glorious nav screen.
Most all $90K cars have the interior of a $40K car.
What's the difference from interior material and design sense between a loaded 3-Series and a 7-Series L?

One does not get truly premium interiors until reach Bentley class of vehicles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drz1050 View Post
I'm in Silicon Valley now, have been seeing a couple of these each day. Sexy cars.
Have seen two here in DC thus far. Very sexy. Although I'm sure Henrik Fisker wants to punch some people in the face. Not only did he design exterior of the Model S, his original design (Aston Martin DB9), has been ripped off and diluted by every car company (Ford, Jag, etc.) meanwhile his hybrid car company recently went belly-up Chap 11.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

- Nicolo Machiavelli 1469-1527

Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#14)
poz top looking 4 neg bot

June 21, 2013, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heist View Post
Most all $90K cars have the interior of a $40K car.
What's the difference from interior material and design sense between a loaded 3-Series and a 7-Series L?

One does not get truly premium interiors until reach Bentley class of vehicles.
No way. I've driven the Model S Performance. For a $100k car, the interior sucks balls. The quality of the leather sucks. Lots of plastic; feels cheap. It's definitely not up to par with other $100k luxury cars.

horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you
Unread
  (#15)
No more 1050 :(

June 21, 2013, 05:02 PM

Heistbot- saw the Fisker Karma out here the other day while driving to San Fran... so much sex.