DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 546
7 members and 539 guests
2blueyam, beatle, CrazyMotorcycleGuy, davidcycle, nootherids, RRonin, Triple X
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Texas roadhouse will never see a dime of my money
Unread
  (#1)
Site ADMIN

Texas roadhouse will never see a dime of my money - September 13, 2006, 12:51 PM

The below article I believe is from the washington post.

I have seen the original emails and I asked to post in a public forum, but was suggested not to. Seems other officers have spread the word.

Make up your own mind, but never again for me.

-------------------------------------------
It's Enough to Make Your Stomach Turn
By Marc Fisher
Tuesday, September 12, 2006; Page B01

Two Fairfax County officers lay mortally wounded in the parking lot of their Sully District police station. At the height of the crisis, anxious police cordoned off streets, closing down some businesses. The Texas Roadhouse restaurant just down the road had to shut its doors for a few hours that day in May and again on the next two Saturdays, when large crowds came out to honor the funeral processions for Detective Vicki Armel and Officer Michael Garbarino.
So what did the restaurant do in the police department's time of loss? Offer to cater the funerals? Set up a food donation schedule for the bereaved families? Nah. The Texas Roadhouse in Chantilly counted up the pennies it had lost -- a total of about $9,000, the manager computed -- and turned to the police department with a formal request for compensation.
The restaurant even put it in writing. From the letter to the police by manager Eric Rainwater in mid-June: "Although this is miniscule in comparison to two officers losing their lives, it did have a major financial impact on our store." Rainwater asked the police to dismiss $5,000 in fines that the restaurant had accumulated because its alarm system had repeatedly malfunctioned, summoning police for no reason.
"Any help you could give would be much appreciated," Rainwater wrote.
The dictionary provides various definitions for "chutzpah," such as effrontery, unbelievable gall and utter nerve. None of these words comes close to describing what happened here.
A remarkably restrained Capt. Susan Culin, commander of the Sully station, wrote a memo to her officers a couple of weeks ago "just to make you aware of the situation." She said the business's request was "in extremely poor taste" and added that "while we all have to make our own choices, I personally will never give the restaurant my business, or my family's business, again."
Culin, it goes without saying, told the department's False Alarm Reduction Unit to instruct Texas Roadhouse to pay its fines.
Culin had called the restaurant's corporate headquarters in Kentucky and noted that this mad display of selfishness came as other area businesses were staging fundraisers for the fallen officers' families. For three weeks, Culin heard nothing back.
Finally, over the past couple of weeks, Texas Roadhouse has gotten the message and done all it can to make things right.
"We certainly can't defend that letter in the least," corporate spokesman Travis Doster told me. It took a couple of months for the parent office to set things straight because "we're a very decentralized company" and there was "miscommunication" between the main office and the restaurant's Virginia operation. "This is just one we totally, totally regret."
Doster told me that Rainwater "has been disciplined, believe me. Rest assured it was fairly severe." But Doster wouldn't say how the manager was sanctioned, and the chain's Virginia managers wouldn't let me talk to Rainwater.
Texas Roadhouse's chief executive, the son of a retired Virginia police officer, called Culin to apologize and sent a letter as well. And the company has made a donation to a trust fund for the families of the Fairfax officers. "Time will hopefully heal the wounds," Doster said.
But although Fairfax police spokesman Mary Ann Jennings says the department has accepted the apology and the company "acted very graciously" once its top officials got involved, the gall of the original request continues to send waves of revulsion through the ranks of police everywhere. Cops are a tight brotherhood, and the Internet has enabled officers to lean on the electronic shoulders of comrades across the continent, so police chat boards are still buzzing about the restaurant's behavior. Doster says Texas Roadhouse is still hearing from officers venting their anger.
"We're hearing from people who want to boycott, and I've talked to a number of these guys on the phone and I gave them the facts," Doster said. "To a man, they're saying 'Okay, that's what I need to know.' "
So the company may now be digging its way out of a pretty deep hole. But why did this happen? What could possibly drive a person to be so callous, so deeply selfish and greedy?
"Only Eric knows himself," Doster said. "Just frustrations with his alarms or whatever."
Or a blindness to others that we see all too often these days, even in businesses that rise or fall on customer satisfaction. A newsletter that advises corporations on crisis management dubbed the Texas Roadhouse incident a "case study in how to do it completely wrong." But think about the people you know and how they respond when they think they have been cheated -- think of the nasty e-mails they dash off, the angry calls, the righteous demands for compensation. Is what happened here really so inconceivable, so far from the kind of behavior we've come to accept in our daily lives?

This post was prepared as a service to the DCSportbikes.net community. Neither the DCSportbikes.net ADMINS nor any of the moderators, makes any warranty, expressed or implied, or assumes any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information, product, link, or process disclosed, or represents that its use would not infringe privately owned rights. Reference herein to any specific commercial products, process, or service by trade name, trademark manufacturer, or otherwise, does not necessarily constitute or imply its endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by DCSportbikes.net. The opinions of this author expressed herein do not necessarily state or reflect those of the DCSportbikes.net community, and shall not be used for advertising or product endorsement purposes.
__________________________________________________ ________

Alex
13 Honda Fury
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to spud Send a message via MSN to spud  
Unread
  (#2)
Site Owner

September 13, 2006, 12:56 PM

Wow thats pretty coldhearted. How did the manager think that was going to be taken?

heh.. the balls on some people. I guarantee that now that none of FFX county police will be eating at that store they will sure see a lot more of a hit than 9000$.

(O|||||||O) and (0OO\(||||)(||||)/OO0)

Help support DCSportbikes.net! Become a Premier Member today!

Katie #135.

Nudist: If Ben isnt still riding me, then I need it
B: that sounds odd
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to ClemsonJeeper  
Unread
  (#3)
Site ADMIN

September 13, 2006, 12:56 PM

actually this info has been passed to other agencies, and the brotherhood as a whole will not be eating there.

VA - Chantilly
4993 Westone Plaza
Chantilly, VA 20151
Phone: 703-378-9887
Fax: 703-378-9886

This post was prepared as a service to the DCSportbikes.net community. Neither the DCSportbikes.net ADMINS nor any of the moderators, makes any warranty, expressed or implied, or assumes any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information, product, link, or process disclosed, or represents that its use would not infringe privately owned rights. Reference herein to any specific commercial products, process, or service by trade name, trademark manufacturer, or otherwise, does not necessarily constitute or imply its endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by DCSportbikes.net. The opinions of this author expressed herein do not necessarily state or reflect those of the DCSportbikes.net community, and shall not be used for advertising or product endorsement purposes.

Alex
13 Honda Fury

Last edited by spud; September 13, 2006 at 12:59 PM..
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to spud Send a message via MSN to spud  
Unread
  (#4)
GP Champ

September 13, 2006, 01:05 PM

Damn! I like their food and cold beer. Guess not anymore.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#5)
Eddie would go ...

September 13, 2006, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud
actually this info has been passed to other agencies, and the brotherhood as a whole will not be eating there.

VA - Chantilly
4993 Westone Plaza
Chantilly, VA 20151
Phone: 703-378-9887
Fax: 703-378-9886
Clarify this for me...one location boycott? What if they fire the moron manager?

It sounds like when the top brass finally got involved they did the right thing, especially the son of the retired VA cop. What more do you want them to do? Fire the manager? ok...i can certainly see that. Why not petition instead? Sucks to work there I guess...

Is the Brotherhood spreading this to the other franchises? One bad manager does not speak for the rest...just like one bad cop does not. Boycotts are nasty things that usually impact much more than what you intended...use with caution...

I am no way saying its not justified..just wondering what you want them to do.
Unread
  (#6)
Site ADMIN

September 13, 2006, 01:09 PM

This information is passed and it is up to the individual to decide.

I wont be going to any Texas Roadhouse again.

Alex
13 Honda Fury
Unread
  (#7)
opossum puncher

September 13, 2006, 01:11 PM

Interesting. However the company once involved acted in a very civil and gracious manner. It was simply that resturants manager who was so very far in the wrong.

-
Attack Life! It's going to kill you anyway.

08 Z1000

Go Hokies!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to zx6rfool  
Unread
  (#8)
Still here

September 13, 2006, 01:13 PM

Isn't that sort of like punishing all for the sins of one? Now punishing the one here in Chantilly...No problem. But the whole franchise?

02 1100 VStar

I've got a bike and I ride it year round. Nuff said

.Net - Those that care, post.
Those that don't care, seem to post too.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to vstargidget Send a message via AIM to vstargidget  
Unread
  (#9)
Playing with toys

September 13, 2006, 01:14 PM

Going to give me something to think about anytime dinning at the restaurant will come up..............

Done thinking about it.

PSN - nate1213

RIP Storm May 29, 2009
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to N8RIDER  
Unread
  (#10)
Eddie would go ...

September 13, 2006, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud
This information is passed and it is up to the individual to decide.

I wont be going to any Texas Roadhouse again.
No kidding...I tend to mostly make my own decscions (when not dealing with Ben's Mom)

The question is what do you want them to do?

Your posting smells of inciting a boycott no matter how many times you say it is up to the individual. You have given it a partisan edge....i have no problem with that....I just wanted to know what you expect them to do on top of what they have already done...or is it a matter of principle? The manager f'ed up so they will never see your business again?

You post an opinion..back it up.

btw i have never been there and see no reason to go now

Last edited by Dutch; September 13, 2006 at 01:19 PM..
Unread
  (#11)
Eddie would go ...

September 13, 2006, 01:17 PM

duplicate post..slow interweb
Unread
  (#12)
Officially Addicted to Posting

September 13, 2006, 01:18 PM

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...4.html?sub=new

and another take on it:
http://www.bernsteincrisismanagement...60901.html#cmu

Quote:
Your author has a "Deep Cop" contact who passed this information on to him, including this message sent by a police officer to Texas Roadhouse via the contact page on their website, at http://www.texasroadhouse.com/contact_us.php.
It has come to my attention that I owe your establishment an apology. I am an officer with Fairfax County. Earlier this year, I had the unfortunate experience of listening as two of my co-workers died of gunshot wounds near your restaurant. The ensuing investigation, regrettably, blocked (from your account) thousands of dollars worth of hungry citizens from eating that night. I compounded this problem by participating in a funeral procession, not once but TWICE, for my co-workers and again blocked thousands of dollars worth of business from you. I humbly apologize for such egregious actions on my part and will endeavor to, in the future and to what extent I can, not allow petty police actions from interrupting your business. I have asked all my co-workers to heed this and next time pick a more commercially advantageous spot to be ambushed and killed. If anything, I have requested that they all die at once, such that multiple funeral processions will not be necessary. In an effort to make sure that I am effective in my efforts, I have barred myself, and all those I can influence from entering or even parking in your establishment. This way I can be sure that my presence will not have the same selfish and undesired affect. If there is anything else that I can do to make sure your establishment has a banner year, please feel free to contact me. I will forward this message to all concerned parties.
Unread
  (#13)
Site ADMIN

September 13, 2006, 01:21 PM

I posted my opinion on how I choose to deal with this information based on what the article said.

I dont feel it is necessary to back anything up.

Some people could read this and see what the corp HQ did is fine enough with them and will continue to patronage that establishment.

That is their choice.

Alex
13 Honda Fury
Unread
  (#14)
Sick!!!

September 13, 2006, 01:26 PM

Texas Roadhouse can eat a dick.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to The Bogert  
Unread
  (#15)
singin sweet home alabama

September 13, 2006, 01:34 PM

Am I missing something? It seems to me the company made amends both in the donation and in punishing the offending manager.

I mean, it was the selfish act of one person. Once higher level execs got involved, they righted the situation. Is there nothing that the company can do that would satisfy you?

I'm not pro or con the place... I've never eaten there, but seems to me all should be well. For the company at least, maybe not THAT location.

"No race has ever been won in the first corner, but plenty have been lost there."
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via MSN to DvlsAdvc8