DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 580
4 members and 576 guests
davidcycle, GRN96WS6, Speed3, TTViper
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
A Thank You to all those that helped out!!
Unread
  (#1)
Give me the Ban Button!

A Thank You to all those that helped out!! - June 3, 2008, 10:59 AM

I wrote this last week. I had to go out of town for work and am just now getting around to posting it. Sorry for the delay.

There have been few times in my life that I have found myself at a total loss for words. This last week has been one of those times. This should have been written earlier but I just couldn't find a fitting way to properly say it. Today it all came to me during a phone call.

A little over a week ago while talking to a friend on the phone I had the crazy idea to ask a community of complete strangers to help a person that was in need. This person had just lost everything she owned in a tragic fire. I have known her for just about a year now. I have spent endless hours talking to her on the phone and couldn't even begin to count the number of text messages that have been passed between our phones. But I have never actually met her and that night I found myself asking what turned out to be people I didn't even know to take the time out of their busy schedules to help somebody they didn't know. I figured maybe a couple of people would be able to help my friend out. I was simply amazed at the outpouring of sympathy and generosity that would transpire from the simple request. For days, I found myself not being able to log onto .net with out having a half dozen private messages. I thought maybe I would get a couple bags of clothing. I found out quickly that it wasn't just clothing being offered but furniture, computers, TVs, music, and even kitchen appliances. Not only that, but people were driving out of their way to drop their gifts off to me. In the end I was staring at a 220 lb mound of clothing. I stood there with a coworker simply amazed at the generosity and all I could say is "we are going to need more boxes."

That's brings us to today's phone call that brought a quick and simple conclusion to my dilemma. Today those nine boxes containing those 220 pounds of clothing arrived at their destination. My phone rang and the voice on the other end simply said "you weren't joking when you said there were nine boxes coming" which was followed by

"there aren't words to explain how grateful I am to your friends. I don't know how to say thank you."

That was it. Sometimes in life there just are not words to properly say thank you. Sometimes Thank you itself just isn't enough. I still have not found the words to express not only my gratitude to each and every one of you that help or offered to help. But also the pride I have to be involved with such a great group of people.

So for the lack of better words THANK YOU!!

MY SPELLING SUCKS....DEAL WITH IT

MyCanikon.net A place to hang out if you are interested in talking photography.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Nubbs Send a message via AIM to Nubbs  
Unread
  (#2)
Give me the Ban Button!

June 3, 2008, 08:58 PM

Bump for those that dont look past the 1st page of new posts. Im one of those people

MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Nubbs Send a message via AIM to Nubbs  
Unread
  (#3)
DAS BOOT

June 3, 2008, 09:02 PM

thats awesome that so many people were willing to help out. If your friend is still in need of more things, let us know so we can get with you to give you more things.

Wow. Just..................wow.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#4)
tang ama ka !!!!!!!

June 3, 2008, 09:37 PM

Anthony
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to totnac  
Unread
  (#5)
Ex-racer TURNED Post Whore

June 3, 2008, 09:41 PM

great job .net!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Christa525 Send a message via AIM to Christa525  
Unread
  (#6)
Banned!

June 3, 2008, 11:15 PM

Great story, heard it in person...

excellent!
Unread
  (#7)
GP Racer

June 4, 2008, 12:48 AM

I hope she let you hit that. sike.
Unread
  (#8)
Elite Racing

June 4, 2008, 07:15 AM

Yep, it's amazing how people come together in a time of need, and take shirts off their own backs'.

It makes me proud to be part of such a great family!

Chris
Elite Racing
CCS AM #458

Godspeed Bam Bam

VFR Matt: gotta be a winner at something. Cant reach for the stars mind well be king of suck
tecknojoe: we could get together at my house and mount my trailor
vonstallin: whack one off 4 me henrey
thefitzvh: I'm the assholist asshole that ever assholed
Unread
  (#9)
Groundhogs can play dead

June 4, 2008, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zice
I hope she let you hit that. sike.

Dan, this is awesome! You'd better be careful! After the underwear ride and the "help my friend" clothing drive, people are going to think you're a nice guy!

Tanya
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#10)
Triple Secks

June 4, 2008, 07:28 AM

Glad we were able to contribute. Talk about chance that your new bike was near us!

It's very telling about what kind of person you are, that you would be willing to go out of your way to help someone that you've never met before.

I believe i can see the future;
because everyday i repeat the
same routine.
Unread
  (#11)
Give me the Ban Button!

June 4, 2008, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfinch

Dan, this is awesome! You'd better be careful! After the underwear ride and the "help my friend" clothing drive, people are going to think you're a nice guy!
This years underwear ride is going to be bigger than last year. I want to double the amount of people and donations. Just for the record Do not mistake my kindness for weakness. I have been down and out at times in my life. There were times I didnt have a pot to piss in. People stepped up and helped me out when I needed it. Think of it as a pay it forward type of situation. I really hate seeing bad things happen to good people.

On a side note. 2 days after she received everything we sent her a F5 tornado wiped out a town 3 miles north of her. A whole community lost just about everything. She went through the boxes of stuff and just kept what she needed to get by for the time being and than not only did she take the rest of the stuff and donate it to the red cross in the area but she has also spent every day she has had off helping people clean up and try to get things set for rebuilding. She spent 20 hours straight last week with a chain saw cutting up trees that were blocking the road and keeping the rescue vehicles and construction crews from getting into town. She is a great person with a hart of gold. Those that donated in the end didn't just help one person they helped a whole community!!

Thank you again.

Unread
  (#12)
Elite Racing

June 5, 2008, 07:26 AM

Wow, very cool!

Chris
Elite Racing
CCS AM #458

Godspeed Bam Bam

VFR Matt: gotta be a winner at something. Cant reach for the stars mind well be king of suck
tecknojoe: we could get together at my house and mount my trailor
vonstallin: whack one off 4 me henrey
thefitzvh: I'm the assholist asshole that ever assholed
Unread
  (#13)
NOM NOM NOM

June 5, 2008, 07:58 AM

Cross-post, cuz I'm behind in my reading...
Unread
  (#14)
Fack yo pony...

Cross-post, cuz I'm behind in my reading... - June 5, 2008, 08:52 AM

Hey, Dan - my family is in Iowa, and I still have some friends there. They are in Cedar Rapids, which isn't too far from Cedar Falls; please find out if she still needs anything, my people there could take stuff right too her. (I think my dad has the world's largest private collection of box fans! Not to mention dishes, shop vacs, etc etc... He needs a reason to clean out the garage and attic!!!) My stepmom may be about your friend's size, (and she's a nurse, haha) so she might have clothes if she's still in need of them.

Track: 2000 Suzuki SV650 Maintained by Chief Wildman

MARRC Safety Crew

Shenandoah Pictures

Before you attempt to set things right, make sure you see things right.
-- Blaine Lee
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#15)
Serial Killer

June 5, 2008, 06:16 PM

I wish I came on here more often than I do, because I'm sure my wife and I would have pitched in a few items. Recently her cousin lost everything she owned in a fire that destroyed their home (her, her boyfriend, and the kids made it out with the clothes that they had on). The outpouring that we received when we asked for donations was just phenomenal (I put out something at work, never thought to do so on the interweb). These message boards, if you stay here long enough, even if you never meet someone face to face, if you're not a complete asshat, you become like family. In saying all that, I'm glad to see that the community once again rose to the occasion, and that your friend is in turn, returning the favor

I'm a lead farmer, motherfucker!!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Diggy Send a message via AIM to Diggy