DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 226
4 members and 222 guests
CrazyMotorcycleGuy, Diggy, Scot, tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
For those of you with aquariums
Unread
  (#1)
Elite Racing

For those of you with aquariums - May 9, 2008, 07:49 AM

Don't learn the hard way like I have done. Aquariums can contains various types of bacteria, including salmonella. Last night, I did a 20% water change in my reef tank and cleaned the powerheads, filters, etc.

The wife and I had been enjoying pitas & hummus then switched to shrimp before our dinner. I apparently forgot to wash my hands at some point, because last night I started feeling nauscious, was awake for the majority of the night, and got sick a couple times.

For those of you with children & tanks, please explain the importance of washing thoroughly if they come into contact with tank water or tank accessories.

I'm regretting not paying more attention to what I was doing last night.

Chris
Elite Racing
CCS AM #458

Godspeed Bam Bam

VFR Matt: gotta be a winner at something. Cant reach for the stars mind well be king of suck
tecknojoe: we could get together at my house and mount my trailor
vonstallin: whack one off 4 me henrey
thefitzvh: I'm the assholist asshole that ever assholed
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Fack yo pony...

May 9, 2008, 08:55 AM

Aw, Chris.

On a different note, don't know if I can go this weekend. Roomie got Chili Cook-off tix.... I'll keep you posted.

Track: 2000 Suzuki SV650 Maintained by Chief Wildman

MARRC Safety Crew

Shenandoah Pictures

Before you attempt to set things right, make sure you see things right.
-- Blaine Lee
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
Elite Racing

May 9, 2008, 01:57 PM

Thanks. No worries about not shooting. Keep us posted, and if you go, enjoy the Cook Off!

Chris
Elite Racing
CCS AM #458

Godspeed Bam Bam

VFR Matt: gotta be a winner at something. Cant reach for the stars mind well be king of suck
Unread
  (#4)
Ninja in Training....

May 9, 2008, 02:00 PM

Chris,

Not sure if you thought about doing this but from past experience like your experience I have always washed my tanks with gloves on just for purpose. Who says those yellow gloves don't come in handy....

I feel your pain mang...

- Craig

If you don't know go ask yo momma

'04 R1 aka "The Bastard"
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to roadrunner78 Send a message via AIM to roadrunner78  
Unread
  (#5)
Groundhogs can play dead

May 9, 2008, 03:03 PM

Speaking of aquariums, does anyone want a pet turtle? He's about 3.5 inches long. Painted turtle.

Tanya
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#6)
Site ADMIN

May 9, 2008, 03:30 PM

I have a pond in my back yard. Has about 10 Koi in it.. what type of environment does he need?

This post was prepared as a service to the DCSportbikes.net community. Neither the DCSportbikes.net ADMINS nor any of the moderators, makes any warranty, expressed or implied, or assumes any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information, product, link, or process disclosed, or represents that its use would not infringe privately owned rights. Reference herein to any specific commercial products, process, or service by trade name, trademark manufacturer, or otherwise, does not necessarily constitute or imply its endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by DCSportbikes.net. The opinions of this author expressed herein do not necessarily state or reflect those of the DCSportbikes.net community, and shall not be used for advertising or product endorsement purposes.
__________________________________________________ ________

Alex
13 Honda Fury
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to spud Send a message via MSN to spud  
Unread
  (#7)
Elite Racing

May 9, 2008, 03:48 PM

Craig, I used gloves part of the time, and usually try and make a habit of wearing them. But I remember cleaning one of the powerhead filters without my gloves, and I don't recall washing my hands afterwards.

Live & learn.

Chris
Elite Racing
CCS AM #458

Godspeed Bam Bam

Unread
  (#8)
Ninja in Training....

May 9, 2008, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud
I have a pond in my back yard. Has about 10 Koi in it.. what type of environment does he need?
Water lilies as they like to swim in-between them and keeps the sun off of them as well. They are fresh water so something that can keep the pond clean for them as well since they are oversized goldfish.....

- Craig

If you don't know go ask yo momma

'04 R1 aka "The Bastard"
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to roadrunner78 Send a message via AIM to roadrunner78  
Unread
  (#9)
GP Champ

May 9, 2008, 05:18 PM

i have never heard of that from a salt water tank. i never use that kind of protection but i used to wash my hands after every time i would stick my hand in it just to get the fishy smell off of them. i guess it was a good habit!

http://www.dcsportbikes.net/photoplo...ull_finger.gif
"Ready your breakfast and eat hearty, for tonight we dine in HELL"

Last edited by R6speed; May 9, 2008 at 05:20 PM..
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to R6speed Send a message via AIM to R6speed  
Unread
  (#10)
Owner of the Site Owner

May 9, 2008, 06:11 PM

when you're sittin in a chevy and you feel something heavy...

-

I tow 747s

"gixrB: I like it hard, with a lot of feel"
Unread
  (#11)
Elite Racing

May 9, 2008, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauliodotnet
when you're sittin in a chevy and you feel something heavy...

Chris
Elite Racing
CCS AM #458

Godspeed Bam Bam

Unread
  (#12)
No! You!

May 9, 2008, 08:47 PM

Good to know!

Miami Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bexxx
I slapped him in the forehead for being vulgar (I'm a lady, dammit).
Unread
  (#13)
Derpentine Dealer

May 11, 2008, 01:40 AM

I'm not convinced this wasn't rather a case of tainted shrimp. To get sick from bacterial contamination usually requires that a fair amount of bacteria be consumed. Contaminated vulnerable foods (i.e. foods that have a high moisture content like meat and potato salad and so on) have about 4 hours at room temp before enough bacteria accumulate to make you sick. Specifically, what makes you sick is not the live bacteria (your stomach environment kills most ingested bacteria) but the lipopolysaccharide (LPS) in the bacterial cell walls, an undigestable constituent that induces a powerful immune response. We have absolutely nothing like it occuring naturally in our bodies, and it is toxic, so it is a powerful antigen. A large enough dose of LPS stimulates the gut to, well, expunge its contents asap. Eventually, LPS can work beyond the gut and elicit fever and severe dehydration from the diarrhea. I doubt that you exposed yourself to enough LPS from your hands. However, even just one spoiled shrimp, and it can happen where only one isolated hotspot develops in a food like that, will contain enough bacteria to give you the "backyard trots" as my granny says. What's more, seafood, especially shellfish, can cause viral food poisoning as well.

All the same, being careful with your tank is a good call.

How's my posting? Please direct all concerns and inquiries to DCSBN's chief content manager, Hollywood, via PM.
Unread
  (#14)
Elite Racing

May 11, 2008, 06:55 AM

Orange Shirt, I understand your point, but I think I need to clarify a couple items for you.

A) The shrimp we had were from the local grocery store, not our own tank
B) My wife did not get sick and we ate the same stuff
C) I did not wash my hands thoroughly after cleaning our tank.

I'm 99.9% positive I didn't get sick from the food. I believe I got sick from not washing my hands after cleaning the tank accessories, like the powerhead filter and wet/dry filter and picked up some bacteria from the tank stuff.

Chris
Elite Racing
CCS AM #458

Godspeed Bam Bam

Unread
  (#15)
Derpentine Dealer

May 11, 2008, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castle228
A) The shrimp we had were from the local grocery store, not our own tank
I never thought you were a shrimp grower.

The fact that you two ate the same food is the best evidence for the tank hypothesis. However, because shrimp are descrete units, you can actually get one bad one from a bag of good ones. I had a nice dinner at Mama's on the Half Shell up in Bmore spoiled by one bad, and I mean baaaad, scallop amongst a pile of good ones.

Dude, you should squirt a few drops of your tank water into a cup of milk and see how long it takes to go bad. Set up a clean cup of milk next to it.

How's my posting? Please direct all concerns and inquiries to DCSBN's chief content manager, Hollywood, via PM.