DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 601
3 members and 598 guests
Sal_the_man, Scot, stan55
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
time to quit smoking?
Unread
  (#1)
I came I saw I shat mysef

time to quit smoking? - March 30, 2009, 07:45 AM

Smoking is about to get a lot more expensive..

Maybe its time to quit!

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123836775647667487.html

WASHINGTON -- Tobacco users are facing a big financial hit as the largest federal tobacco tax increase ever takes effect Wednesday.
Tobacco companies and public-health advocates, longtime foes in the nicotine battles, are each trying to turn the situation to their advantage. Major cigarette makers raised prices in recent weeks, partly to offset any drop in profits once the per-pack tax climbs from 39 cents to $1.01. Medical groups, meanwhile, see a tax increase in the middle of a recession as a great incentive for smokers to quit.

President Barack Obama signed a health initiative soon after taking office to increase the tobacco taxes to finance a major expansion of health insurance for children. Other tobacco products, from cigars to pipes and smokeless tobacco, will also see similarly large tax increases. For example, the tax on chewing tobacco will go from 19.5 cents per pound to 50 cents. The total expected to be raised over the 4 year health-insurance expansion is nearly $33 billion.

Separately, Congress is considering legislation to empower the Food and Drug Administration to regulate tobacco. That could lead to reformulated cigarettes. President Obama, who has struggled with his own cigarette habit, said he would sign such a bill.

Prospects for reducing the harm from smoking are better than they have been in years, said Dr. Timothy Gardner, president of the American Heart Association. "Every time that the tax on tobacco goes up, the use of cigarettes goes down," he said.

-john
wera, ccs - novice # 979 - sv650
Aprilia Falco (sold), Gs500 (sold), KTM300 (sold)

"I'll believe corporations are people when Texas executes one of them."

Separation of Corp. And State!

R.I.P Alex Lyskawa - My heart will never heal from your passing.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to jron  
Unread
  (#2)
Derpentine Dealer

March 30, 2009, 07:56 AM

Any time is a good time to quit smoking or dipping. That stuff will kill you. I know you've heard it all before so I won't preach.

The good news is that your risk for lung cancer drops almost to the level of a never-smoker in just a few years after quitting so there's a nice redemption.

How's my posting? Please direct all concerns and inquiries to DCSBN's chief content manager, Hollywood, via PM.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
I hate Hybrid drivers

March 30, 2009, 09:34 AM

I think it was time to quit 5 years ago. Smoking is so 1972.
Unread
  (#4)
Nubbs ban yourself!

March 30, 2009, 09:38 AM

I find it funny but not funny ha ha how people view ex drinkers as something to be proud of but you tell someone you're an ex smoker and they think you are about to start preaching to them.
13 years for me and the only time I tell anyone is when they ask me for a light!

To punish and enslave!
2003 GSXR1K
2008 HD Night Train
religion is just a misspelling of superstition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi
Once again I forgive you for your self-righteousness, bigotry and prejudice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillie View Post
I'll also thank them for proving that you don't need the force to get a woman to make you a sammich.
"They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security."
-Benjamin Franklin
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYpOF...embedded#at=36
http://www.bachbio.com/gunsavelives.htm
Unread
  (#5)
Nubbs ban yourself!

March 30, 2009, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by david636 View Post
I think it was time to quit 5 years ago. Smoking is so 1972.
5 years ago was 2004

To punish and enslave!
2003 GSXR1K
2008 HD Night Train

Quote:
Quote:
I'll also thank them for proving that you don't need the force to get a woman to make you a sammich.
"They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security."
-Benjamin Franklin
Unread
  (#6)
Road Kill

March 30, 2009, 09:39 AM

The government legalizes an addictive product for profit... and now wants to increase its profit on such product. i'm going to quit... not for my health, but to spite that asshole running the country.

1999 Yamaha R6... from the track, back to the street
www.mmsports.org
SJS Customs

YaoMatt:Here's a free bit of advice: Put down the fucking ho-ho!!! And I don't mean your daughter.

Bexxx: yeah my ass was a wee bit sore after that
BabyBusa04: MY ASS IS SORE AS HELL
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to JMURACN  
Unread
  (#7)
Nubbs ban yourself!

March 30, 2009, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMURACN View Post
The government legalizes an addictive product for profit... and now wants to increase its profit on such product. i'm going to quit... not for my health, but to spite that asshole running the country.
Ever consider rolling your own? Might lower the cost enough to keep going and you might find some tobacco you like more.

To punish and enslave!
2003 GSXR1K
2008 HD Night Train

Quote:
Quote:
-Benjamin Franklin
Unread
  (#8)
TPG og

March 30, 2009, 09:44 AM

I've got my electronic cigarette, I'm good. Decided I don't wanna quit nicotine, just tobacco. Customs can't catch everything. As far as regular ciggs go, go to West Virginia, they'll never be expensive there. Or get a rolling machine and roll your own with filters, its easy.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to b00st  
Unread
  (#9)
GP Racer

March 30, 2009, 09:44 AM

Lucky me. I quit in '07.

-RRaj
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to RRaj  
Unread
  (#10)
I'm to good for your air

March 30, 2009, 10:11 AM

You got a light?
No, I quit smoking ??? years ago. It was the best decision I ever made, you should try quitting.

You want a hamburger?
No, I don't eat meat, I'm a vegetarian. (Various reasons why, fill in the blanks)

Either way, I DGAF! Did I ask if you smoked, or if you currently smoke or if your ever going to smoke again? No, I asked if you had a light! Did I ask if I was wondering if you think I should quit? No! I didn't ask if you wanted to smoke...

I asked if you wanted a Hamburger, just say, No thank you. I didn't ask you if you eat meat, I'm not making you take this meat I offered you, so I don't give two shits about your vegetarian eating ways. If you ask me if I want a salad, I don't respond, No I'm a carnivore, it provides nutrients I want my body to have, I think it's delectable and tasty and you should eat meat too.

I know it's a rant but it's kind of a pet peeve, does anyone else find this annoying...?
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to hedfan1  
Unread
  (#11)
Nubbs ban yourself!

March 30, 2009, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedfan1 View Post
You got a light?
No, I quit smoking ??? years ago. It was the best decision I ever made, you should try quitting.

You want a hamburger?
No, I don't eat meat, I'm a vegetarian. (Various reasons why, fill in the blanks)

Either way, I DGAF! Did I ask if you smoked, or if you currently smoke or if your ever going to smoke again? No, I asked if you had a light! Did I ask if I was wondering if you think I should quit? No! I didn't ask if you wanted to smoke...

I asked if you wanted a Hamburger, just say, No thank you. I didn't ask you if you eat meat, I'm not making you take this meat I offered you, so I don't give two shits about your vegetarian eating ways. If you ask me if I want a salad, I don't respond, No I'm a carnivore, it provides nutrients I want my body to have, I think it's delectable and tasty and you should eat meat too.

I know it's a rant but it's kind of a pet peeve, does anyone else find this annoying...?
Nope never finish my sentence that way, no I don't have a light i quit and I leave it at that!
If I ask someone if I can buy them a drink and they say no i am a recovering alcoholic I don't take offense to it so maybe you got issues and not us!

To punish and enslave!
2003 GSXR1K
2008 HD Night Train

Quote:
Quote:
-Benjamin Franklin
Unread
  (#12)
GP Champ

March 30, 2009, 10:24 AM

well shit, I smoke shitty cigars(jewels) when I drink or time to time while at work. Glad I am not addicted to them.
Unread
  (#13)
I'm to good for your air

March 30, 2009, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2sport View Post
Nope never finish my sentence that way, no I don't have a light i quit and I leave it at that!
If I ask someone if I can buy them a drink and they say no i am a recovering alcoholic I don't take offense to it so maybe you got issues and not us!
Not EVERYONE responds like the examples above. But I do get responses like this from many people.

But yes, you are right, I do have issues. I'm not a big fan of other people preaching what they think I should do. It could also be in part that I feel bad for bringing it up some times when they feel compelled that they need to tell me.

My cousin is a recovered addict and has been and still is part of AA/NA. I lived with him and his wife for 6 months, his wife is in the same boat as he is and not once did I hear them preach their path of recovery on anyone who didn't directly ask about it. I really respect him and his wife for that, they know that not everyone want's to hear or cares about their addictive history.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to hedfan1  
Unread
  (#14)
TPG

March 30, 2009, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B00STZX3 View Post
I've got my electronic cigarette, I'm good. Decided I don't wanna quit nicotine, just tobacco. Customs can't catch everything. As far as regular ciggs go, go to West Virginia, they'll never be expensive there. Or get a rolling machine and roll your own with filters, its easy.

I have NEVER seen you without a cig in your hand... If you can quit, anyone can..

2008 - Kawasaki ZX-6R
2007 - Suzuki GSX-R750 (Sold)
1999 - Yamaha R6 (Sold)

TPG

RIP Jeff
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Jaxxx  
Unread
  (#15)
Nubbs ban yourself!

March 30, 2009, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedfan1 View Post
Not EVERYONE responds like the examples above. But I do get responses like this from many people.

But yes, you are right, I do have issues. I'm not a big fan of other people preaching what they think I should do. It could also be in part that I feel bad for bringing it up some times when they feel compelled that they need to tell me.

My cousin is a recovered addict and has been and still is part of AA/NA. I lived with him and his wife for 6 months, his wife is in the same boat as he is and not once did I hear them preach their path of recovery on anyone who didn't directly ask about it. I really respect him and his wife for that, they know that not everyone want's to hear or cares about their addictive history.
I say it simply in explaining why I don't have a lighter so they don't think I just don't want to allow them to use it. My wife still smokes and I personally don't care if everyone smokes it is simply my choice.

I would also imagine many AA people have the same thing on their mind of simply trying to say, i am not trying to be rude in not accepting your drink but I am an a recovering alcoholic, I will however like a coke or whatever.

Your issue with vegetarians is about the same thing. I use to hang around with Fugazi and go to their BBQ's and they ate nothing but tofu. It isn't that they want to preach or be rude. They simply want to explain why they can't accept your offer.

To punish and enslave!
2003 GSXR1K
2008 HD Night Train

Quote:
Quote:
-Benjamin Franklin

Last edited by n2sport; March 30, 2009 at 10:51 AM..