DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:



Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 686
2 members and 684 guests
hokie, tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Tire Machine Air Compressor Help: Looking to buy Right one.
Unread
  (#1)
Я - Ребенок Люциферов
 
vonstallin's Avatar
 
Posts: 15,829
Join Date: November 2, 2006
Location: Wash DC: (2 min from Adams Morgan)
Tire Machine Air Compressor Help: Looking to buy Right one. - March 2, 2016, 05:14 PM

Need help figuring out what is the best 20+ gallong Air compressor to run my automotive Tire Changer.

I have a very old Atlas TC20 (Grandfather to the TC229 Atlas tire changer).
My friend has a BMW repair shop and got all new Snap on equiptment and sold me his old but working tire changer for pennys.
I have a old 5 gallon, and wanted to get something that can have this tire machine working at optimal level. Space wise I do not want to go above the size of a 20+ gallon and budget was $200 range.

I heard CFM is the most important part, but not sure how much is good for a tire machine that will only be using the air compressor.
Here are 4 at Harbor Frieght I was looking at.

3 are similar with small differences like RPMs and CFM.


$179.99
2.5hp 3400RPM Air delivery: 5.8 CFM @ 40 PSI, 4.7 CFM @ 90 PSI

Quote:
This vertical air compressor can be connected to a variety of air hoses with a built-in universal quick-connect coupler. With 2.5 horsepower, this solid air compressor will power your tools or inflate tires in your home shop with energy to spare. Roll this portable air compressor on two 6 in. wheels, while two rubber foot stabilizers reduce vibration during use.
  • Air delivery: 5.8 CFM @ 40 PSI, 4.7 CFM @ 90 PSI
  • Heavy duty 2.5 horsepower rated motor
  • Long-life oil lubricated compressor with precision machined cast-iron sleeve
  • Single capacitor motor with thermal overload protection
  • Wheel kit with 6 in. wheels and ergonomic handle for smooth portability
  • Oil level indicator window for easy maintenance
  • Reduced vibration with rubber foot stabilizers
  • Built-in quick coupler for convenient air hose connection
21 gal. 2.5 HP 125 PSI Cast Iron Vertical Air Compressor





$199.99
1.8HP 2900 RPM, Air delivery: 4 CFM @ 90 PSI, 6 CFM @ 40 PSI

Quote:
The generous 26 gal. tank on this air compressor gives you the power to properly operate your pneumatic tools and equipment! This air compressorís low maintenance, oilless design allows for long run times with less recycling. Features include a conveniently placed handle, smooth rolling wheels for easy mobility and a fully shrouded pump and motor for protection.
  • Air delivery: 4 CFM @ 90 PSI, 6 CFM @ 40 PSI
  • Low maintenance oilless pump
  • Built-in handle for easy maneuvering
  • 9-5/8 in. diameter wheels for easy portability
26 gal. 1.8 HP 150 PSI Oilless Air Compressor




26 gal. 1.8 HP 150 PSI Oilless Air Compressor

Same as above but with
1.8hp, 3200RPM, 150psi
Quote:
  • Air delivery: 4 CFM @ 90 PSI, 5 CFM @ 40 PSI
  • Low maintenance oilless pump
  • Built-in handle for easy maneuvering
  • 9-5/8 in. diameter wheels for easy portability
  • An additional lift-gate charge may apply.



26 gal. 1.8 HP 150 PSI Oilless Air Compressor
2900RPM

Quote:
  • Air delivery: 4 CFM @ 90 PSI, 6 CFM @ 40 PSI
  • Low maintenance oilless pump
  • Built-in handle for easy maneuvering
  • 9-5/8 in. diameter wheels for easy portability
26 gal. 1.8 HP 150 PSI Oilless Air Compressor


The Nightmare of Summit Point
WERA Nov# 325 / CCS # 326
2016 ZX10R ABS (Street) | 2011 ZX10RR(Race)
2011 R6 (Street & Track) | 2009 WR250F
GunnRunnaz.com|GR on FaceBook | www.2666ad.com|
  Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via MSN to vonstallin  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#2)
Slow as a turtle...
 
maverickfhs's Avatar
 
Posts: 338
Join Date: April 21, 2014
Location: NoVA
March 2, 2016, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonstallin View Post
Need help figuring out what is the best 20+ gallong Air compressor to run my automotive Tire Changer.

I have a very old Atlas TC20 (Grandfather to the TC229 Atlas tire changer).
My friend has a BMW repair shop and got all new Snap on equiptment and sold me his old but working tire changer for pennys.
I have a old 5 gallon, and wanted to get something that can have this tire machine working at optimal level. Space wise I do not want to go above the size of a 20+ gallon and budget was $200 range.

I heard CFM is the most important part, but not sure how much is good for a tire machine that will only be using the air compressor.
Here are 4 at Harbor Frieght I was looking at.

3 are similar with small differences like RPMs and CFM.


$179.99
2.5hp 3400RPM Air delivery: 5.8 CFM @ 40 PSI, 4.7 CFM @ 90 PSI



21 gal. 2.5 HP 125 PSI Cast Iron Vertical Air Compressor



I am not an expert at it, but based on my limited experience I would go for an 'Oiled' one, just because they are less noisy, as well as maintenance means, you'll keep an eye on things. Plus, I am NOT a big fan of 'maintenance free' things(just a personal preference).

I actually had that same compressor(which I no longer own) and I was pleased with the results. I used come coupon and bough it on special for definitely less than $180. It was good for multiple purposes, but definitely not the best if you plan to use a lot of air, as it takes more time to fill it up. Maybe try to look at Tractor Supply for compressor, sometimes they have it on special too or even CL?

Good luck with your decision and choice.


---Showing gratitude is one of the simplest yet most powerful things humans can do for each other---
---Courtesy is as much a mark of a gentleman as courage.---

Last edited by maverickfhs; March 2, 2016 at 05:45 PM..
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#3)
This Ain't My First Time!
 
cf3232's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,150
Join Date: September 15, 2005
Location: Great Falls, VA
March 2, 2016, 07:52 PM

I'd say you find out the recommended cfm, psi, etc. from the manufacture of the tire machine and buy the compressor that matches those specifications.


OVER? did you say "Over"? Nothing is over until we decide its over, was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell No!!!

~Blutarski~

Dodge131:
If your goal is to scrape knee within 1 mile of your house then you sir have a problem.

Men have two emotions: Hungry and Horny. If you see him without an erection, make him a sandwich.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#4)
GP Racer
 
coolkhas's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,157
Join Date: March 31, 2011
Location: coolkhas@gmail.com
March 3, 2016, 04:07 AM

Cant help you with your question, and may be a bit off topic. But how do you like the Atlas? I was looking at it the other day on Greg Smiths site. I'm in the market right now (Cant find anything used/cheap) and the Atlas is probably the cheapest brand new. Thoughts?
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#5)
AMA Superbike Champ
 
Posts: 722
Join Date: August 5, 2015
Location: Manassas
March 3, 2016, 07:21 AM

Husky 60 Gal. Stationary Electric Air Compressor C602H at The Home Depot - Mobile
Need something more like this... 11.5 cfm @90 psi. The ones your listing may do the job but are on the shy end.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#6)
Я - Ребенок Люциферов
 
vonstallin's Avatar
 
Posts: 15,829
Join Date: November 2, 2006
Location: Wash DC: (2 min from Adams Morgan)
March 3, 2016, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkhas View Post
Cant help you with your question, and may be a bit off topic. But how do you like the Atlas? I was looking at it the other day on Greg Smiths site. I'm in the market right now (Cant find anything used/cheap) and the Atlas is probably the cheapest brand new. Thoughts?
I haven't used it yet. It's real old (20+ years i guess) but allot of it is similar to the TC229. I ordered motorcycle adapters from Greg smith for the TC229 and it was a perfect fit for my T20.


The Nightmare of Summit Point
WERA Nov# 325 / CCS # 326
2016 ZX10R ABS (Street) | 2011 ZX10RR(Race)
2011 R6 (Street & Track) | 2009 WR250F
GunnRunnaz.com|GR on FaceBook | www.2666ad.com|
  Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via MSN to vonstallin  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#7)
Я - Ребенок Люциферов
 
vonstallin's Avatar
 
Posts: 15,829
Join Date: November 2, 2006
Location: Wash DC: (2 min from Adams Morgan)
March 3, 2016, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cf3232 View Post
I'd say you find out the recommended cfm, psi, etc. from the manufacture of the tire machine and buy the compressor that matches those specifications.
Ive checked and nothing is given.


The Nightmare of Summit Point
WERA Nov# 325 / CCS # 326
2016 ZX10R ABS (Street) | 2011 ZX10RR(Race)
2011 R6 (Street & Track) | 2009 WR250F
GunnRunnaz.com|GR on FaceBook | www.2666ad.com|
  Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via MSN to vonstallin  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#8)
Yo quiero Trackday!
 
Posts: 1,855
Join Date: July 21, 2009
Location: Alexandria, VA
March 4, 2016, 08:57 AM

Von, I have the over 10 years old, version of this one:

Sears.com

I am not a power user, meaning it doesn't get used daily, but it does gets used weekly. I've used this compressor to paint car/bike parts, inflate tires, and air power tools.

In over 10 years, I've had zero problems with it. If I had to do it again, I would go with a higher capacity tank, probably one from harbor freight, given that they run about half the price of a craftsman one.

Last edited by knonfs; March 4, 2016 at 08:59 AM..
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#9)
AMA Superbike Champ
 
Posts: 722
Join Date: August 5, 2015
Location: Manassas
March 4, 2016, 09:03 AM

quit being cheap and buy the husky son.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#10)
Я - Ребенок Люциферов
 
vonstallin's Avatar
 
Posts: 15,829
Join Date: November 2, 2006
Location: Wash DC: (2 min from Adams Morgan)
March 4, 2016, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycee703 View Post
quit being cheap and buy the husky son.


LOL
For the most part Ill be using it just to change my race tires a bit.
I have spare rims for my bikes and will be flipping them and have some with fresh tires so in a years time, id say I would probably use the tire changer about 10 times possible. Street tires also. Not including any buddy who want a tire changed.

I traded my boy with the shop a 2005 costo 42in Plasma TV and $200 for the tire machine. We started out at $750, then allot of his stuff came in and space was tight. So in the end it was a ....Get it today for the TV and $200.

SO not sure i want to invest allot of money for the Tire machine. I cant paint in my hood no more. The neighbors warned me last time in 2012 and its a huge $5000/5 year fine n jail all fed time.







Quote:
Originally Posted by knonfs View Post
Von, I have the over 10 years old, version of this one:

Sears.com

I am not a power user, meaning it doesn't get used daily, but it does gets used weekly. I've used this compressor to paint car/bike parts, inflate tires, and air power tools.

In over 10 years, I've had zero problems with it. If I had to do it again, I would go with a higher capacity tank, probably one from harbor freight, given that they run about half the price of a craftsman one.

Yeah I wish i could find info that would tell me what to use.
Both of my boys with MC shop and car shop said at one point they ran there tire machines of the standard 5 gallon air compressor. Of course it was not enough but it work to get it done. Thats why I figured 20+ gallons should do the job.


The Nightmare of Summit Point
WERA Nov# 325 / CCS # 326
2016 ZX10R ABS (Street) | 2011 ZX10RR(Race)
2011 R6 (Street & Track) | 2009 WR250F
GunnRunnaz.com|GR on FaceBook | www.2666ad.com|
  Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via MSN to vonstallin  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#11)
AMA Superbike Champ
 
Posts: 722
Join Date: August 5, 2015
Location: Manassas
March 4, 2016, 10:40 AM

I've done paint booth exhaust systems before. Why are they claiming it's that big of a fine?
Also get the $500 one. it will be great for framing. cutting wheels. impact gun use. $500 isn't shit for an air compressor. It's a husky not a gast.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#12)
Я - Ребенок Люциферов
 
vonstallin's Avatar
 
Posts: 15,829
Join Date: November 2, 2006
Location: Wash DC: (2 min from Adams Morgan)
March 4, 2016, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycee703 View Post
I've done paint booth exhaust systems before. Why are they claiming it's that big of a fine?
Also get the $500 one. it will be great for framing. cutting wheels. impact gun use. $500 isn't shit for an air compressor. It's a husky not a gast.
OH yeah....to justify getting it I said i was going to use it at my vacation house to repair 50ft of rotted out Pier. I was going to get 1 to 2 air hammers.

I would have to get hella long hose tho.

As far as the fine goes, my friend was painting in her personal garage.
His neighbor drilled a hole in the side of the garage and put a camera in it. Filmed him painting 3 cars and reported it to the feds.

They are strict about cfc and the air, thats why you have to have a paint booth with re-capture ???? filtration system.

He got caught, and went to court. 3 counts. so ended up with a fine no jail time. but together it was 15 years and $15,000 in fines.




Quote:
EDIT...went to look it up....and i guess you can paint up to 2 cars a year as a hobbiest.

for those of you that plan to or paint your cars from home, turns out its not illegal if youre a hobbyist. page 2, EPA regulations summary. first column "this rule does not apply to", 3rd section. allowed to spray up to 2 cars a year in your garage, driveway or back yard

https://www3.epa.gov/ttn/atw/area/paint_stripb.pdf


The Nightmare of Summit Point
WERA Nov# 325 / CCS # 326
2016 ZX10R ABS (Street) | 2011 ZX10RR(Race)
2011 R6 (Street & Track) | 2009 WR250F
GunnRunnaz.com|GR on FaceBook | www.2666ad.com|
  Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via MSN to vonstallin  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#13)
AMA Superbike Champ
 
Posts: 722
Join Date: August 5, 2015
Location: Manassas
March 4, 2016, 11:24 AM

I know all about cfc hcfc's. I'm surprised they were that harsh. Lots of paint shops don't even have proper exhaust systems setup that are operable
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#14)
GP Racer
 
coolkhas's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,157
Join Date: March 31, 2011
Location: coolkhas@gmail.com
March 4, 2016, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonstallin View Post
OH yeah....to justify getting it I said i was going to use it at my vacation house to repair 50ft of rotted out Pier. I was going to get 1 to 2 air hammers.

I would have to get hella long hose tho.

As far as the fine goes, my friend was painting in her personal garage.
His neighbor drilled a hole in the side of the garage and put a camera in it. Filmed him painting 3 cars and reported it to the feds.

They are strict about cfc and the air, thats why you have to have a paint booth with re-capture ???? filtration system.

He got caught, and went to court. 3 counts. so ended up with a fine no jail time. but together it was 15 years and $15,000 in fines.

Holy chit.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#15)
AMA Superbike Champ
 
Posts: 722
Join Date: August 5, 2015
Location: Manassas
March 4, 2016, 05:05 PM

FUCK THAT,,,,, IM THE LAST POST NOT YOU. STAND DOWN SOLDIER,
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
vBulletin Skin developed by: vBStyles.com
All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters, all the rest © 2002-2010 by DCSportbikes.net. DCSportbikes.net is owned by End of Time Studios, LLC.