DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 566
2 members and 564 guests
Sal_the_man, Slider
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Tmobile Acquired By At&t
Unread
  (#1)
Your Ad Here

Tmobile Acquired By At&t - March 20, 2011, 01:58 PM

Just came thru on my Bloomberg alert.

March 20 (Bloomberg) -- AT&T Inc. said it entered a definitive agreement with Deutsche Telekom AG to acquire T- Mobile USA in a cash-and-stock transaction currently valued at approximately $39 billion.
The agreement has been approved by the Boards of Directors of both companies, Deutsche Telekom said in a statement.

I absolutely do NOT want anything to do with At&t. Their pricing plans are out fucking rageous compared to Tmobile.
My unlimited data, text, and talk cost me $75 on Tmobile. I use a jailbroken and unlocked iPhone so I don't get 4G, but no biggie.

The same plan on AT&T would cost me no less than $120!!!

Having been through a major communication company merger when I worked in that world, I can only pray that the DOJ antitrust division rejects it on some technicality (maybe because they would have full control over all GSM service in the United States) or the FCC would object to them owning that much spectrum.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

- Nicolo Machiavelli 1469-1527

Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
poz top looking 4 neg bot

March 20, 2011, 02:22 PM

So you're mad that t mobile might get decent service now?

horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
2 wheels for life

March 20, 2011, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow View Post
I think the clearly mentioned the prices might go up

Adrenaline Addict
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#4)
Road Kill

March 20, 2011, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEEP View Post
I think the clearly mentioned the prices might go up

he was being funny... you were being ... DEEP i guess

1999 Yamaha R6... from the track, back to the street
www.mmsports.org
SJS Customs

YaoMatt:Here's a free bit of advice: Put down the fucking ho-ho!!! And I don't mean your daughter.

Bexxx: yeah my ass was a wee bit sore after that
BabyBusa04: MY ASS IS SORE AS HELL
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to JMURACN  
Unread
  (#5)
Don't ask me,I'm Canadian

March 20, 2011, 02:40 PM

Wouldn't ATT have to honor the contracts?

ALL MY HEROES ARE RUSSIAN...GO CAPS!

Well you see, Norm, it’s like this…A herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members. In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Now, as we know, excessive intake of alcohol kills brain cells. But naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine. And that, Norm, is why you always feel smarter after a few beers.-Cliff Claven

Unread
  (#6)
././././././././

March 20, 2011, 02:42 PM

switch to sprint
Unread
  (#7)
Site Owner

March 20, 2011, 03:07 PM

CDMA stinks. I like being able to talk and surf at the same time as well as take my phone overseas and it just works.

(O|||||||O) and (0OO\(||||)(||||)/OO0)

Help support DCSportbikes.net! Become a Premier Member today!

Katie #135.

Nudist: If Ben isnt still riding me, then I need it
B: that sounds odd
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to ClemsonJeeper  
Unread
  (#8)
Your Ad Here

March 20, 2011, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow View Post
T-mobile's service is and has always been great where I have lived and worked and I've been with them since 98 when they were Omnipoint back in NYC.

So what it sucks in the boonies and hinterlands, I'm almost never in those areas so why would I care?

I have only experienced one complete loss of reception for about 20 minutes while crossing thru the backwood of Georgia on the way to Florida back in 2001.

Solution: Stay out of the backwoods of Georgia.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

Unread
  (#9)
Road Kill

March 20, 2011, 03:27 PM

*banjo music*

1999 Yamaha R6... from the track, back to the street
www.mmsports.org
SJS Customs

YaoMatt:Here's a free bit of advice: Put down the fucking ho-ho!!! And I don't mean your daughter.

Bexxx: yeah my ass was a wee bit sore after that
BabyBusa04: MY ASS IS SORE AS HELL
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to JMURACN  
Unread
  (#10)
starbucks ADV rider

March 20, 2011, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heist View Post
My unlimited data, text, and talk cost me $75 on Tmobile. I use a jailbroken and unlocked iPhone so I don't get 4G, but no biggie.
So the iphone4 works with Tmobiles 3G??
Unread
  (#11)
Your Ad Here

March 20, 2011, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C2H5OH View Post
Wouldn't ATT have to honor the contracts?
Yes and no. They only have to honor contracts that are still within the contract period - and even then, they can adjust the current packages to something similar within AT&T's set package which means throttling and tethering as a separate cost item. Something which T-Mobile doesn't make you do.

As a matter of fact, T-Mobile will even tell you over the phone how to set up your device for tethering at no cost. They did it 2x for me when I had my Blackberry.

AT&T wants you to pay to use tethering?! Ain't that some shit! They want you to pay for a free feature already native to your phone. That's why so many people with Iphone on AT&T jailbreak so they can use MyWi ...

However, AT&T started identifying jailbroken phones and are forcing them into tethering plans!

Dear [Customer],
We’ve noticed your service plan may need updating.
Many AT&T customers use their smartphones as a broadband connection for other devices, like laptops, netbooks or other smartphones– a practice commonly known as tethering. Tethering can be an efficient way for our customers to enjoy the benefits of AT&T’s mobile broadband network and use more than one device to stay in touch with important people and information. To take advantage of this feature, we require that in addition to a data plan, you also have a tethering plan.
Our records show that you use this capability, but are not subscribed to our tethering plan.
If you would like to continue tethering, please log into
your account online at Cell Phones and Cell Phone Plans – Wireless from AT&T, or call us
at 1-888-860-6789 Monday – Friday, 7 a.m. – 9 p.m. CST
or Saturday, 8 a.m. – 7 p.m. CST, by March 27, 2011
to sign up for DataPro 4GB for Smartphone Tethering.
Here are details on the plan:
DataPro 4GB for Smartphone Tethering
• $45 per month
(this gives you 4GB in total, combining both your smartphone data plan for $25 and the tethering feature, $20)
• $10 per each additional GB thereafter, added automatically as needed
• Mobile Hotspot capabilities are included for compatible Smartphones
If we don’t hear from you, we’ll plan to automatically enroll you into DataPro 4GB afterMarch 27, 2011. The new plan – whether you sign up on your own or we automatically enroll you – will replace your current smartphone data plan, including if you are on an unlimited data plan.
If you discontinue tethering, no changes to your current plan will be required.
It’s easy to track your usage throughout the month so there are no bill surprises. For example, we send you free text messages when you reach 65, 90, and 100 percent of your plan’s threshold. If you would like to monitor your account more closely, go towww.att.com/dataplans to learn about other ways to track your data usage.
As a reminder, our smartphone data plans also include unlimited usage of Wi-Fi at no additional charge. AT&T smartphone customers can use Wi-Fi at home or on-the-go at any one of our more than 23,000 U.S. hotspots already included in your data plan.

Thank you for bringing your account up to date. We appreciate the opportunity to continue to serve your mobile broadband needs.
Sincerely,
AT&T
Quote:
Originally Posted by jez01 View Post
switch to sprint
CDMA is a horrid protocol. I can only use it in the US and the provider has way too many controls over my phone, not just the network.

Unread
  (#12)
GP Champ

March 20, 2011, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heist View Post
Yes and no. They only have to honor contracts that are still within the contract period - and even then, they can adjust the current packages to something similar within AT&T's set package which means throttling and tethering as a separate cost item. Something which T-Mobile doesn't make you do.

As a matter of fact, T-Mobile will even tell you over the phone how to set up your device for tethering at no cost. They did it 2x for me when I had my Blackberry.

AT&T wants you to pay to use tethering?! Ain't that some shit! They want you to pay for a free feature already native to your phone. That's why so many people with Iphone on AT&T jailbreak so they can use MyWi ...

However, AT&T started identifying jailbroken phones and are forcing them into tethering plans!

Dear [Customer],
We’ve noticed your service plan may need updating.
Many AT&T customers use their smartphones as a broadband connection for other devices, like laptops, netbooks or other smartphones– a practice commonly known as tethering. Tethering can be an efficient way for our customers to enjoy the benefits of AT&T’s mobile broadband network and use more than one device to stay in touch with important people and information. To take advantage of this feature, we require that in addition to a data plan, you also have a tethering plan.
Our records show that you use this capability, but are not subscribed to our tethering plan.
If you would like to continue tethering, please log into
your account online at Cell Phones and Cell Phone Plans – Wireless from AT&T, or call us
at 1-888-860-6789 Monday – Friday, 7 a.m. – 9 p.m. CST
or Saturday, 8 a.m. – 7 p.m. CST, by March 27, 2011
to sign up for DataPro 4GB for Smartphone Tethering.
Here are details on the plan:
DataPro 4GB for Smartphone Tethering
• $45 per month
(this gives you 4GB in total, combining both your smartphone data plan for $25 and the tethering feature, $20)
• $10 per each additional GB thereafter, added automatically as needed
• Mobile Hotspot capabilities are included for compatible Smartphones
If we don’t hear from you, we’ll plan to automatically enroll you into DataPro 4GB afterMarch 27, 2011. The new plan – whether you sign up on your own or we automatically enroll you – will replace your current smartphone data plan, including if you are on an unlimited data plan.
If you discontinue tethering, no changes to your current plan will be required.
It’s easy to track your usage throughout the month so there are no bill surprises. For example, we send you free text messages when you reach 65, 90, and 100 percent of your plan’s threshold. If you would like to monitor your account more closely, go towww.att.com/dataplans to learn about other ways to track your data usage.
As a reminder, our smartphone data plans also include unlimited usage of Wi-Fi at no additional charge. AT&T smartphone customers can use Wi-Fi at home or on-the-go at any one of our more than 23,000 U.S. hotspots already included in your data plan.

Thank you for bringing your account up to date. We appreciate the opportunity to continue to serve your mobile broadband needs.
Sincerely,
AT&T

CDMA is a horrid protocol. I can only use it in the US and the provider has way too many controls over my phone, not just the network.
That only happens if youre using like 25G. Even power users cant hit 25G (or even 10) on the phone alone. So stay under 5 and they wont be the wiser. They are only going off of numbers. They can tell if its from a computer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonstallin View Post
Stinky:
Im so excited im about to pre-blast in my pants.....then....it hits me...
I smell her arm pits and i damn near threw up!!!!
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to hfam95 Send a message via AIM to hfam95  
Unread
  (#13)
Your Ad Here

March 20, 2011, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nani View Post
So the iphone4 works with Tmobiles 3G??
Nope. Edge speed only. Edge on Tmobile uses the 1900mhz frequency up and down, but their 3G/4G rides on 1700 mhz down/2100 mhz up.

Unfortunately, no one else in the US or the world uses 1700mhz and all the other GSM phones (incl Iphone) are set up for world band 1900/2100/?? (I forget what the third is).

That's why the Iphone on Tmobile can do voice and data, but only up to Edge speeds.

Unread
  (#14)
Your Ad Here

March 20, 2011, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfam95 View Post
That only happens if youre using like 25G. Even power users cant hit 25G (or even 10) on the phone alone. So stay under 5 and they wont be the wiser. They are only going off of numbers. They can tell if its from a computer.
You sure? I would think all they needed to do is peek at the logs and bang the MAC addresses against the database of authorized IMEIs and MACs for each phone on the account.

If they hit a MAC address that doesn't match the phone on an account that does not have a Tethering Plan authorized, then they have you pegged as jailbroken and using illegal tethering.

The whole notion of being forced to pay an extra $20 to use a feature that is native to my phone I find offensive to begin with. What next, they make you pay $1 a month to use your bluetooth headset?

Unread
  (#15)
GP Champ

March 20, 2011, 04:02 PM

Yes. I assume you didnt actually get that message, but lifted it from engadget, gizmodo, etc. There are several people who say they tether through jb but typically hit about 2-3GB and have not gotten the message. Those that got the message were usings like 10+. This leads me to believe they were going off of numbers only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonstallin View Post
Stinky:
Im so excited im about to pre-blast in my pants.....then....it hits me...
I smell her arm pits and i damn near threw up!!!!
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to hfam95 Send a message via AIM to hfam95