DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 529
0 members and 529 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Today was powdercoating weather...
Unread
  (#1)
Firebreathing VTwin

Today was powdercoating weather... - April 20, 2010, 05:36 PM

Had the day off, got up early and called a few friends... Most of them were working those losers who weren't were high. I forgot today it some sort of stoner holiday.

So I say to myself, "self, lets go play in the garage!"

Started by cleaning up some of my tools from last weeks projects and I decided that the cheap plastic shelf thing that I used to hang my T-handle allen wrenches just wasn't cool enough so I decided to build a new one...

Had some extra 3/8" aluminum stock, drilled out some holes, punched sizes, and bent some brackets. Its kinda crude but this is what I came up with...

As I was wiping it down with acetone getting ready to paint it I decided that this would be cooler powder coated... Gloss black

This is where I figured you guys would be interested, since I know there are plenty of people looking to have parts powdercoated....

So after rummaging thought a bunch of boxes that had been packed up since I moved back from FL almost 3 years ago I got everything set up.

My EastWood HotCoat powdercoating system, my trusty Craftsman compressor, and a toaster oven I found on the side of the road! (Don't laugh it works!)

Part grounded and powder applied,

10 mins at 450, then another 15 at 400...

Its cooling right now.

Its been awhile since I've powdercoated anything, I forgot how easy it was. Results are impressive too! Its like paint, to end up with a nice finished product you have to spend the time to prep. This piece I didn't bother with, I just wiped it down and spayed it.

Rear sets and levers are getting torn down, blasted, cleaned and baked tomorrow.
Stay tuned

MARK DIEDERICH
Love the one you've got...
Cause you might get run over, or you might get shot.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
GP Champ

April 20, 2010, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieder View Post
Had the day off, got up early and called a few friends... Most of them were working those losers who weren't were high. I forgot today it some sort of stoner holiday.

So I say to myself, "self, lets go play in the garage!"

Started by cleaning up some of my tools from last weeks projects and I decided that the cheap plastic shelf thing that I used to hang my T-handle allen wrenches just wasn't cool enough so I decided to build a new one...

Had some extra 3/8" aluminum stock, drilled out some holes, punched sizes, and bent some brackets. Its kinda crude but this is what I came up with...

As I was wiping it down with acetone getting ready to paint it I decided that this would be cooler powder coated... Gloss black

This is where I figured you guys would be interested, since I know there are plenty of people looking to have parts powdercoated....

So after rummaging thought a bunch of boxes that had been packed up since I moved back from FL almost 3 years ago I got everything set up.

My EastWood HotCoat powdercoating system, my trusty Craftsman compressor, and a toaster oven I found on the side of the road! (Don't laugh it works!)

Part grounded and powder applied,

10 mins at 450, then another 15 at 400...

Its cooling right now.

Its been awhile since I've powdercoated anything, I forgot how easy it was. Results are impressive too! Its like paint, to end up with a nice finished product you have to spend the time to prep. This piece I didn't bother with, I just wiped it down and spayed it.

Rear sets and levers are getting torn down, blasted, cleaned and baked tomorrow.
Stay tuned

Think you would be down to do my pieces for some $$ or booze?
Unread
  (#3)
Retired

April 20, 2010, 05:45 PM

You Powdercoat?!?!?

Man, I need some stuff done on my Fat Cat and it doesn't need to be awesome.

2007 Ducati S4Rs
Recognized by .net as the #1 choice for poor gays worldwide.
Unread
  (#4)
Firebreathing VTwin

April 20, 2010, 05:55 PM

For anyone BUT Curt...

Please tell me you didn't get rid of the TL for a Ducati?!?!?!

(I'm just jealous)

Yes, I am willing to do work. Crown Royal, Camel Light or cash are all acceptable forms of payment at DiederCycleWerks.
I've got a few things I need to take care of first.

I need more blasting sand to properly prep parts, more acetone too.
I also really need a more accurate low PSI regulator, and I can't find my infrared thermometer so that's on the list too.

If anyone knows where I can get an oven, digital would be sweet, and its gotta be electric, preferable with a window in the door, let me know. I've already got 220v to the garage and right now my small toaster works but its whats really holding me back. Cheap and/or free is my range price-range.

MARK DIEDERICH
Unread
  (#5)
GP Champ

April 20, 2010, 06:09 PM

Quote:
For anyone BUT Curt...

(I'm just jealous)

Yes, I am willing to do work. Crown Royal, Camel Light or cash are all acceptable forms of payment at DiederCycleWerks.

I also really need a more accurate low PSI regulator, and I can't find my infrared thermometer so that's on the list too.

If anyone knows where I can get an oven, digital would be sweet, and its gotta be electric, preferable with a window in the door, let me know. I've already got 220v to the garage and right now my small toaster works but its whats really holding me back. Cheap and/or free is my range price-range.
Try craigslist for the oven
Unread
  (#6)
Retired

April 20, 2010, 06:17 PM

Quote:
For anyone BUT Curt...

(I'm just jealous)

The TL broke down on me one too many times and has been replaced. It's still in my garage but will be gone soon.

So let me know when you'll be able to PC some stuff for me.

2007 Ducati S4Rs
Recognized by .net as the #1 choice for poor gays worldwide.
Unread
  (#7)
Firebreathing VTwin

April 20, 2010, 06:47 PM

Drilled and added some 10mm threadserts(I love those things) to the rail of my Mac cart...
Turned the powdercoated bolts on the bracket upside down and added some chrome acorn nuts for a bit 'o bling

project done, now back to cleaning up

MARK DIEDERICH
Unread
  (#8)
need more knee down

April 20, 2010, 07:06 PM

get a oven big enough for a frame and I'll pay ya lol.

~Lou
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to LVegaJr Send a message via AIM to LVegaJr Send a message via Skype™ to LVegaJr 
Unread
  (#9)
Firebreathing VTwin

April 20, 2010, 08:49 PM

Just finished my levers. Took them apart, sand blasted and did them in matte black powder, they look great! I've gotta say for something as simple as a brake lever there are a TON of parts in a nissin radial m/c lever.

Now I'm really itching for a bigger oven. Don't think I'll be doing any frames... Paid $225 for to have my frame and swinger done down in FL and that was money well spent.

MARK DIEDERICH
Unread
  (#10)
need more knee down

April 20, 2010, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Just finished my levers. Took them apart, sand blasted and did them in matte black powder, they look great! I've gotta say for something as simple as a brake lever there are a TON of parts in a nissin radial m/c lever.

Now I'm really itching for a bigger oven. Don't think I'll be doing any frames... Paid $225 for to have my frame and swinger done down in FL and that was money well spent.

yeh i am tempted to try Eastwood's ceramic chassis paint kit though haha. The bike isn't a show piece (see avatar) so I'm not trying to spend much to do the frame.

~Lou
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to LVegaJr Send a message via AIM to LVegaJr Send a message via Skype™ to LVegaJr 
Unread
  (#11)
SaS
Sas pronounced Sauce.

April 20, 2010, 09:40 PM

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/s...sss&maxAsk=400

Lots of cheap ovens.

Quote:
For anyone BUT Curt...

(I'm just jealous)

Unread
  (#12)
GP Racer

April 21, 2010, 07:02 AM

Awesome
Unread
  (#13)
Fuhgeddaboutit!

April 21, 2010, 07:30 AM

Good stuff.. I'm jealous.