DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 571
3 members and 568 guests
Nobrains, Sal_the_man, Slider
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Toll prices not fair
Unread
  (#1)
Team Kawasaki

Toll prices not fair - May 24, 2007, 02:42 PM

Why do motorcycles have to pay the same toll as cars?

2 Axles 50˘75˘25˘50˘35˘50˘Each Add. Axle25˘25˘25˘25˘25˘25˘Maximum Toll$1.50$1.75$1.25$1.50$1.35$1.50

Shouldn't motorcycles be 25 cents at the main gate and the on ramp?

Plus they are thinking about raising it to $1 dollar at the main gate to support phase two of the metro rail project.

Where is my passenger seat? Ummmmm don't have one but you can ride on the handle bars
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to kriskokd Send a message via AIM to kriskokd  
Unread
  (#2)
Repping WPNR is Tennessee

Location: GOOD OL' ROCKY TOP...ROCKY TOP TENNESSEE...GO VOLS!!!!!!!!
May 24, 2007, 02:43 PM

2 axles.......same as a car

RIP...Karl Michael "Dragula" Meckenberg WE MISS YOU BUDDY!!!

WulfPakRydaz- Strength in Numbers

Cause thats how we roll......
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to PimpD  
Unread
  (#3)
Jake's Mom

May 24, 2007, 02:48 PM

i think it is ridiculous. they don't even have a smaller version of the speedpass to put on a motorcycle. i have speedpass on my bike and it looks ridiculous. and that dammn thing doesn't stick very well to my windscreen. I agree that we shouldn't have to pay as much, but I also think that motorcycles should have a higher speed limit than cars..LOL

2005 R6 - Track
2012 BMW S1000RR - Street
Ride Like A Girl Racing
Diva Rydaz
R.I.P. Wayne aka Godson
R.I.P. Sue Miller
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#4)
Ling Long

May 24, 2007, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsDiana
i think it is ridiculous. they don't even have a smaller version of the speedpass to put on a motorcycle. i have speedpass on my bike and it looks ridiculous. and that dammn thing doesn't stick very well to my windscreen. I agree that we shouldn't have to pay as much, but I also think that motorcycles should have a higher speed limit than cars..LOL
If you look at the NY, NJ and PA pages for EZpass they have a thing on there where they're working on a key-fob type transmitter for motorcycles. There's no eta on completion though.

I read in the paper that the toll road is supposed to increasing here soon. Another .75 on the greenway and .25 per gate on the Dulles road, I think is what it said.

U
C
Lots of
Asians
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to YaoMatt Send a message via AIM to YaoMatt Send a message via MSN to YaoMatt  
Unread
  (#5)
opossum puncher

May 24, 2007, 02:58 PM

There is a company that makes a speedpass for motorcycles

It works for all the tolls, including the NJ Tpk. Some one posted about it a while ago.

you could also buy a holder:

http://www.legendaryusa.com/JJ_Cycle...jcyclepass.htm

http://www.members.aol.com/brincatmotoracc/

-
Attack Life! It's going to kill you anyway.

08 Z1000

Go Hokies!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to zx6rfool  
Unread
  (#6)
No bike, jus here 4 drama

May 24, 2007, 03:00 PM

I totally agree. Two axles, yes, but half the wheels of a car, and therefore half the impact on the road (at most). Also, counts as an HOV and better gas mileage... we should lobby for this. Call your congressman!

"Spin"
Blue '07 R1 (CRASHED RIP)
Sponsored by Winchester Orthopedics

Not responsible if anything I say causes you to kill yourself.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#7)
Jake's Mom

May 24, 2007, 03:02 PM

get a petition started!!!!!!

2005 R6 - Track
2012 BMW S1000RR - Street
Ride Like A Girl Racing
Diva Rydaz
R.I.P. Wayne aka Godson
R.I.P. Sue Miller
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#8)
Like a clown car on fire

May 24, 2007, 03:04 PM

While I agree with the sentiment, I can't really come up with a good reason why bikes shouldn't pay the same toll...

because of the size? Then should Miata's pay less than H2's?

because of # of passengers? Should toll now start being charged on a per-passenger basis? How do you implent that? "duck kids, we're at a toll booth!!"

If there's a good logical reason on why bikes should pay less tolls, i'd love to hear it, b/c I can't think of one.

Now them not having a motorcycle specific speedpass, that sucks... We should get them before anyone else, since fumbling around for change in riding gear tends to slow up the lines more than regular cars...

-Chloroform-
For when she doesn't know she wants it.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Thwack  
Unread
  (#9)
Team Kawasaki

May 24, 2007, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thwack
While I agree with the sentiment, I can't really come up with a good reason why bikes shouldn't pay the same toll...

because of the size? Then should Miata's pay less than H2's?

because of # of passengers? Should toll now start being charged on a per-passenger basis? How do you implent that? "duck kids, we're at a toll booth!!"

If there's a good logical reason on why bikes should pay less tolls, i'd love to hear it, b/c I can't think of one.

Now them not having a motorcycle specific speedpass, that sucks... We should get them before anyone else, since fumbling around for change in riding gear tends to slow up the lines more than regular cars...
Who drives a miata?

Bikes have less then half the weight and impact on the toll road. Cars pay less then trucks therefore bikes should pay less then cars.

a special pass for the bike would be great but half the cost to riders.

Where is my passenger seat? Ummmmm don't have one but you can ride on the handle bars
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to kriskokd Send a message via AIM to kriskokd  
Unread
  (#10)
Ling Long

May 24, 2007, 03:16 PM

They'd just argue that you're off-setting the price of the R&D to create the smaller pass for your bike and you'd continue paying the same price, if not more.

Consider the amount of bikes that actually use EZpass in comparison to the number of cars.

U
C
Lots of
Asians
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to YaoMatt Send a message via AIM to YaoMatt Send a message via MSN to YaoMatt  
Unread
  (#11)
Team Kawasaki

May 24, 2007, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YaoMatt
They'd just argue that you're off-setting the price of the R&D to create the smaller pass for your bike and you'd continue paying the same price, if not more.

Consider the amount of bikes that actually use EZpass in comparison to the number of cars.
You might have a point. it would be worth a try?

Unread
  (#12)
No bike, jus here 4 drama

May 24, 2007, 03:19 PM

Well the whole idea behind the per axle fee is related to weight of the vehicle, and more specifically the load distributed to each wheel and the subsequent damage inflicted to the road surface. Arguably, a super compact car might distribute a similar load per wheel, but yes, a vehicle as heavy as a HMMWV would have a harder impact on the road. Some articles say that a fully loaded tractor trailer can have an impact as large as 36,000 times that of a passenger vehicle. Obviously they aren't going to charge them an equivalent fee.. so it seems to me the smaller vehicles are paying a subsidy to cover the costs of the larger vehicles. So yes, I do think a motorcyclist should get a break from the passenger vehicle rate. I'd be more inclined to use it when riding.

"Spin"
Blue '07 R1 (CRASHED RIP)
Sponsored by Winchester Orthopedics

Not responsible if anything I say causes you to kill yourself.
Unread
  (#13)
AMA Superbike Champ

May 24, 2007, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YaoMatt
I read in the paper that the toll road is supposed to increasing here soon. Another .75 on the greenway and .25 per gate on the Dulles road, I think is what it said.
Private road = complete screwing

Congrats, we're about to get the most expensive toll road, by mile, in the nation. $4.80 each way by 2012.

http://wtop.com/?sid=921082&nid=25
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to CBontheMV  
Unread
  (#14)
subUrban Warrior

May 24, 2007, 03:26 PM

As stated before, motorcycle have very little impact on the road, they also reduce congestion and in many places in the country they pay less for a toll. For instance the Del. Bridge is cheaper for a bike than a car if memory serves me correctly.

You can have your EZPass coded for motorcycle to take advantage of those areas where a bike pays less.

Didn't the price of tolls on the Dulles Toll Road go up a year ago? Now they want to increase it again.

Why can't we get a local user volume discount? They have our EZPass stats and could start a discounted rate after so many trips thru a toll both each month.

The Greenway is ridiculous. My daughter lives in Winchester and I've stopped taking it when I go to see her.

"I banged so many chicks last year my iPhone address book broke" - overheard at a Dover, DE bar
Unread
  (#15)
Team Kawasaki

May 24, 2007, 03:33 PM

I would use the toll road more if it was a bit ceaper on my bike. Now I just go around it. It is usually a parking lot all the time anyway. Nothing worse then sitting there until your bike heats and starts blowing hot fumes on you during the hottest day of summer cause some dumb ass got in the exact change lane and forgot he did not have any change.