DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 513
1 members and 512 guests
beatle
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Tore my ACL
Unread
  (#1)
Site ADMIN

Tore my ACL - January 16, 2008, 03:57 PM

So yeah, playing indoor soccer at the indoor complex in manassas was a GREAT idea.

I get confirmation MRI on monday and surgery consult on tuesday. Doc is 99.9% sure.

Wee

ok so there are three options. My doc recommends the Cadaveor, however my boss who's daugher tore her ACL at the same place I did recommend the most painfull option of the Patellar Tendon. Supposedly 3 days of post surgery excrutiating pain.

Ive read these and other google links but want to hear from you folks who have had it done.

Fuck turning 30 has been the worst for me.

http://orthopedics.about.com/cs/aclrepain/a/acl_3.htm

3 surgery choices:

http://orthopedics.about.com/cs/aclr.../aclgrafts.htm

My dad used his hamstring, my mom did the cadavor..

This post was prepared as a service to the DCSportbikes.net community. Neither the DCSportbikes.net ADMINS nor any of the moderators, makes any warranty, expressed or implied, or assumes any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information, product, link, or process disclosed, or represents that its use would not infringe privately owned rights. Reference herein to any specific commercial products, process, or service by trade name, trademark manufacturer, or otherwise, does not necessarily constitute or imply its endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by DCSportbikes.net. The opinions of this author expressed herein do not necessarily state or reflect those of the DCSportbikes.net community, and shall not be used for advertising or product endorsement purposes.
__________________________________________________ ________

Alex
13 Honda Fury
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to spud Send a message via MSN to spud  
Unread
  (#2)
Spike

January 16, 2008, 04:02 PM

Ouch!

Welcome to old! (i'm older )

RIP Greg Walker, I will never forget you

If everybody thought before they spoke, the silence would be deafening
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via ICQ to jtatooz Send a message via Yahoo to jtatooz Send a message via AIM to jtatooz Send a message via Skype™ to jtatooz 
Unread
  (#3)
( * )|( * )

January 16, 2008, 04:04 PM

If it were me I'd talk to the doctor and go with the one that will allow you to heal as close to 100% as possible.

Sorry to hear that man...hope you bounce back quickly!

Chris
2008 MARRC AM Racer of the Year
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#4)
GP Champ

January 16, 2008, 04:04 PM

I did the patellar tendon thing, and it was gravy. Any surgery there will be swelling, and THAT'S what causes most of the pain. Or at least, that was my experience, and I had a much more complicated surgery than just ACL. But it's held up great for the last few years.

Even if you trust your surgeon implicitly, ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS get a 2nd opinion!!

Ask for the little icing machine -- it was HEAVEN! It looks like a little Igloo cooler with a weird butterfly attachment that you ace bandage to your knee. It circulates cold water continuously over your knee, keeps swelling down and without ice dripping down your shorts (never a fun surprise).

Alex, I have a ton of survival strategies if you need help. And I think you're down my way, so let me know if you need anything. Hang in there -- this time next year you're in the clear.

PS with the cadavers -- the AIDS scare isn't as bad as it was, but HIV and other viruses are enough to scare me away from cadaver parts.

Talk nerdy to me

It's not how many times you get knocked down,
it's how many times you get back up!
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#5)
Site ADMIN

January 16, 2008, 04:12 PM

gotcha.

Well i say post up what you got here, somewhere someone will be happy to hear your advice.

INCLUDING me!!

This post was prepared as a service to the DCSportbikes.net community. Neither the DCSportbikes.net ADMINS nor any of the moderators, makes any warranty, expressed or implied, or assumes any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information, product, link, or process disclosed, or represents that its use would not infringe privately owned rights. Reference herein to any specific commercial products, process, or service by trade name, trademark manufacturer, or otherwise, does not necessarily constitute or imply its endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by DCSportbikes.net. The opinions of this author expressed herein do not necessarily state or reflect those of the DCSportbikes.net community, and shall not be used for advertising or product endorsement purposes.
__________________________________________________ ________

Alex
13 Honda Fury
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to spud Send a message via MSN to spud  
Unread
  (#6)
Officially Addicted to Posting

January 16, 2008, 04:24 PM

I didn't have my knee done but I did have the Achilles done. First was in 2003 when I tore it and on Nov 9th, this year, I had a second procedure because of scare tissue and water that bound up. Pain is pain but you have to do your rehab or you'll really be in pain. They give you meds for pain also. Use them!!! Good Luck and when you can't play..........COACH!!!

GsxRBulldog---NEVER EVER mistake my kindness for Weakness or waste my or my friends time. That would be unwise

G-Dog's total site

There is no trick to it, I just work harder than you.
BANNED from R1-Forum for Bad Attitude on 8/16/2010

'01 GsxR 750----Bike heaven (in a better place)
'01 GsxR 1000---"Bad Ass"....Sold it
'03 GsxR 1000---"G-Note".... Sold it
'04 GsxR 600----"Lil Bastard" Sold to JBoggy
'05 Gsxr 750----"Visitor" Sold back to her Momma
'06 Gsxr 600----"BabyBoy Blue" for Track
'06 GsxR 1000---"GhostFace" for Street

that's GsxrBulldog to you SON!!!
W u l f no P a k va R y d a z
President 2/2010 to 2/2013
: : Power of Purpose : :
remember our fallen friends
•always in our hearts • watching over us•
•#135 Katie•Dragula•#47 Bambam•Vega
www.wulfpakrydaz.com
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to GsxrBulldog Send a message via AIM to GsxrBulldog  
Unread
  (#7)
GP Champ

January 16, 2008, 04:25 PM

WHATEVER YOU DO, LISTEN TO YOUR PHYSICAL THERAPIST. IT'S THEIR JOB TO GET YOU BACK TO NORMAL!

If you don't have experience walking on crutches, get them early and practice!

Take a pair of easy to put on but NOT easy to slip off shoes for after surgery. You can easily flip off flip-flops accidentally. I bought a pair of Teva "flip flops" designed for swimmers walking to and from the pool and into the tiled shower, but they don't slip off easily (had some neoprene to them). Non slip soles. Were awesome for traction on wet days. You will lose some flexibility, so avoid having to tie sneakers, at least for the first few weeks.

Don't get frustrated. The best "i had surgery" stories are the funny ones about how difficult things are.

Percocet is a beautiful thing.

An office chair with a back makes a GREAT way to transport food to and from kitchen to couch when you're home alone.

YOU WILL BE VERY TIRED. The simplest things will knock you out. Taking a shower did me in for 6 hours.

Video games are your friends. Boredom was the WORST part of post-surgery, even all the pain.

Buy a step stool for the bathroom. Maybe this is just for my short legs, but in the brace it was EXCRUTIATING to let it hang there. So I used a step stool to prop it up when on the toilet.

Survey your house before you go in for surgery. Are you stuck on the first floor with no bed? Make sure your wife can hear you holler in the middle of the night if she's upstairs/downstairs. No shower on the first floor? The sink makes a great place to wash your hair.

Have friends in, but remind them you're on pain killers and will fall asleep often. I think I had friends over every night to watch movies with me and I never made it past the first five minutes of any of them.

Step stools and dog leashes can help you get in and out of trucks so you can be mobile by yourself.

Get your temporary handicap placard!

These are just a few. If you have specific scenarios, let me know. I went to college to be an AT/PT so this stuff is second nature to me.

Talk nerdy to me

It's not how many times you get knocked down,
it's how many times you get back up!
Unread
  (#8)
The last urrbendah

January 16, 2008, 04:27 PM

Ping Todd about this as well.

13 KTM 200 XC-W
15 KTM 350 XC-F

I might have a dirt bike problem.
Unread
  (#9)
whoa preppy......

January 16, 2008, 04:35 PM

Is there a chance they can sew an extension in it?

2018 XSR700
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2019 Honda Monkey
2019 Z900 ABS
2019 Janus Halcyon
Unread
  (#10)
Meh

January 16, 2008, 04:46 PM

My brother had the patella tendon version and my buddy just had cadaver. Cadaver is less invasive but again it is someone elses tissue.

Get the icing as mentionned earlier and don't expect to be 100% for about a year or so.
Unread
  (#11)
Has an idiot exemption

January 16, 2008, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scot
No you didn't...LOL
Bummer Spud, heal quick!
We'll compare scars when you get done.

Steve

2011 Harley Electra Glide Limited
2009 Yamaha Zuma 125
2006 Honda CRF150F
2004 Honda CRF150F Monster
2008 Honda CRF 450R
www.cornerspeed.net
Unread
  (#12)
Meh

January 16, 2008, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scot
freaking hillarious.
Unread
  (#13)
maybe

January 16, 2008, 05:34 PM

OUCH, I broke my ankle in 2 places down at the South Park Run indoor field, playing soccer too. yeah , I know an ACL is different to an ankle.

ADVICE - post op make sure you listen to your physical therapist. Do whatever they tell you and the way they tell you to do it, otherwise you heal like a gimp!

Advice#2 - Play soccer outdoors. I play under lights, outside, even during the Winter.

Good luck - at least this happened in the Winter so you are not going to miss much riding time.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via MSN to LimeyWop  
Unread
  (#14)
Never lose your head!!

January 16, 2008, 06:19 PM

Like you, I tore my ACL & MCL while playing soccer and I had the surgery using my own tissue. I've also known people that have used parts from a cadaver and healed nicely. It's definitely a preferential thing and the thought of having stranger's tissue in my body was freaking weird. I still have some numbness in my frontal patella region, but didn't lose any strength or speed to the leg. My surgery was 8 years ago. Since then, I tore my MCL in the other knee, but no surgery.

My advice however, as someone had mentioned above, DO NOT rush getting back on your feet. Listen to your physical therapist because they know what's good for you. I made a mistake of rushing myself in the beginning and was running 3-5 miles just after 2 mos post-op and I HURT everyday!!! Good luck with the surgery and speedy recovery.

KK
Unread
  (#15)
opossum puncher

January 16, 2008, 06:52 PM

Sucks Alex.

Hope which ever method you chose works well.

-
Attack Life! It's going to kill you anyway.

08 Z1000

Go Hokies!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to zx6rfool