DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 588
0 members and 588 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Totally Fed Up w/Cable! Finally Ready To Cut FIOS
Unread
  (#1)
Your Ad Here

Totally Fed Up w/Cable! Finally Ready To Cut FIOS - July 13, 2015, 03:38 PM

Short version:
I know there are some rather technically inclined individuals in here who have made the big cut. What are the basic set of streaming services and which are the best pieces of hardware to use which would net me an approximation of home cable package for 3 televisions?
None are Smart TV's so I can't stream directly into each.

Thanks.

Long Rant:
When I started with FIOS their Triple Play Package was $100/mo plus $20 for HBO and movies. A fair deal to me with the exception of set top boxes which as you know you can only lease and never buy from them, and they always danced around the subject of CableCards.

I swallowed the year over year price escalations and taxes without much complaint but growing increasing dissatisfied with the value for dollar.

My latest Triple-Play contract was to end in 9 days and Verizon was going to press me into the non-contract rate which would have escalated my bill from ~$175 to over $220/mo after equipment rental (3 STBs), taxes, and fees.

I had my hardline phone and Internet already set to Verizon's minimum service packages. The only place to cut was on content, so I did just that.

About 2 months ago Verizon announced that they would roll out quasi ala carte cable packages via bundling, something I thought would be an absolute consumer beneficial and amicably fair resolution to the forced content cable and content providers have made us pay for for years. Turns out it was just more of the goddman same bait-and-switch.

Moved to the Custom package where you get a standard package of channels + pick 2 additional bundles at no cost.

I would lose about 50 channels including some I liked (ESPN, NBA, Science, Discovery, etc.) but I rationalized that I could always find most events online streaming for free. Sports Center, the occasional F1 and MGP race is not enough to keep the all sports packages.

I also trimmed the movie packages to just HBO. No Cinemax, Showtime, Flix, etc.

After Verizon backed in some promotions and tallied the new bill / contract rate, even after I had removed nearly 40% of my content from the plan, they came up with a new monthly charge of $171! A net savings difference of only $4/mo.

To add more injury to insult they said if I only used 2 cable boxes instead of 3 it would reduce my bill by another $7, to which I replied "I've already bought the box 100 times over. You won't let me purchase it."

I told them to factor a price that doesn't include hardline phone service which was about $35/mo. I rarely use it anyway. It's mostly there for the security system but I can move to an I.P. based system. The Verizon rep says it wouldn't change anything. I'd be moved to a Double Play package but the prices in the DP package for internet and TV are higher. WTF?

"Sound's like you're telling me phone service is basically thrown in for free at whatever package level you subscribe too." - he responds to the affirmative.

So, I have reached my wits end. I don't feel the need to pay $2,000/year for what amounts to far less content than I received before at the virtually the same price. Time to leave the cable and content provider monopolies to themselves until they figure out that consumers want true a la carte packages.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

- Nicolo Machiavelli 1469-1527

Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Chasing the dragon

July 13, 2015, 03:56 PM

My girl and I are cable-less in the woods.

Netflix is awesome. Hulu sucked for us and got axed after 3 days. I split the MotoGP and WSBK video pass. She randomly watches youtube stuff and just jacks her sisters cable login to watch HGTV and other random stuff of the sorts.

We also have an antenna for getting the local stuff (~$100). AppleTV makes streaming to the TV really easy (we have everything Apple). We tried the Roku and it didn't do anything for us. We also bought the Amazon Fire stick when it was $20. It has a lot of dust on it.

We pay for 75/75 internet (FiOS) and set up a better router w/ DD-WRT. The Actiontec BS VZ gives is rubbish. Just set it to bridge mode and forget it. Internet gets written off anyway since she works remote full time. It's a win all around.

More gas, less brake

Last edited by okayh; July 13, 2015 at 04:00 PM..
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
GP Champ

July 13, 2015, 04:11 PM

...or just not watch as much television programming which is nothing but brainwashing you.

Gemini Motorcycles (Sterling, VA)
www.GeminiMotorcycles.com
ZX14: 243 mph
ZX12: 229.6 mph
ZX10: 202.8 mph

ZX9: 177.6 mph
ZX6R: 180.8 mph
Ninja 650: 130.7 mph
Ninja 400: 123.5 mph

EX300: 114.7 mph
EX250: 122.4 mph
Unread
  (#4)
GP Racer

July 13, 2015, 04:41 PM

We got rid of cable for the same reasons a few years ago. Between Netflix, and Prime I get my very small fix for TV that I need. Also split MGP passes with friends and Im good to go for the year.
Unread
  (#5)
Your Ad Here

July 13, 2015, 05:28 PM

I set-up an ASUS RT-AC68U router a few months ago. 2.4 band is strong. The 5.0 band doesn't penetrate as far as I would like

I would need to crank up my bandwidth package to make the full divide from Cable. It's 20/20 right now.

Verizon keeps telling me they can only do VDSL into my unit, but I know that's can't be exactly true. They run fiber ONT right to the side of the building and communication closet, then they use Comcasts old copper lines. I'm sure they just don't want to go through the expense of doing a dedicated fiber line to the ONT.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

Unread
  (#6)
Your Ad Here

July 13, 2015, 09:47 PM

Dark, you managed to use all of your 999 allotted PMs.
Time to delete some items.

Unread
  (#7)
↓ dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ ↓

July 14, 2015, 05:23 AM

years of sending dirty pms to Stillie.

-Ryan
Unread
  (#8)
GP Champ

July 14, 2015, 06:33 AM

We've got current versions of the roku 2 (hooked up with ethernet) and roku stick (wifi). They work pretty well. Netflix and Sling on the rokus are keeping my wife and kids happy.
Unread
  (#9)
Mommy's Little Monster

July 14, 2015, 07:32 AM

I havent cut the cord yet, but I'm close, considering I have almost all the content I'd want anyways.

I used to have an apple TV, but Apple doesn't like to play nice with Plex. I run Sick Beard to grab all TV content, and it goes straight into my Plex server, at which point I use the Fire TV to stream everything. HD antenna to get your local channels (most major sports). Wife still has a Hulu account to fill in some gaps, but really the biggest thing I'd miss out on is F1 racing, but I can always download the race and watch afterwards anyway. Channels like HGTV, and other odd-balls can be had through a service like Sling TV.

I could essentially cut the cable box out of the equation, buy Sling TV and an HD antenna and be 98% of the way to where I am now. Honestly, I think until a vast majority of the population starts to do the same, there's not going to be pressure on the cable companies to lower rates, and moreso, these other subscription services need subscribers to remain a viable option.

Like I said, I'm very close to cutting the cord as well.

2018 BMW R1200 GS
2016 Yamaha FJ-09
2014 Honda CB500X
2007 Suzuki DRZ 400SM
2007 Suzuki GSXR 600
Unread
  (#10)
Groping is a skill...

July 14, 2015, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark View Post
years of sending dirty pms to Stillie.
You cheating whore!

2015 KTM Super Duke 1290 R
2013 Victory Vision Tour
K7 Gixxer 600 - Track Only
RnR Cycles Touched & Tuned

I grope suckaz!!! -
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#11)
GP Champ

July 14, 2015, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8nsanta View Post
I havent cut the cord yet, but I'm close, considering I have almost all the content I'd want anyways.

I used to have an apple TV, but Apple doesn't like to play nice with Plex. I run Sick Beard to grab all TV content, and it goes straight into my Plex server, at which point I use the Fire TV to stream everything. HD antenna to get your local channels (most major sports). Wife still has a Hulu account to fill in some gaps, but really the biggest thing I'd miss out on is F1 racing, but I can always download the race and watch afterwards anyway. Channels like HGTV, and other odd-balls can be had through a service like Sling TV.

I could essentially cut the cable box out of the equation, buy Sling TV and an HD antenna and be 98% of the way to where I am now. Honestly, I think until a vast majority of the population starts to do the same, there's not going to be pressure on the cable companies to lower rates, and moreso, these other subscription services need subscribers to remain a viable option.

You sound about like me. I've been running xbmc/kodi for years and have quite a bit of content ripped from CDs, DVDs, and other less seemly sources but, really, my preference would be to have totally legit, reasonably priced access to the things we watch. Sling TV and Netflix are not really that far off and they are getting a lot of use at my house. It doesn't seem unlikely that the next 5 years could bring us bring close to what I'd like.
Unread
  (#12)
Your Ad Here

July 15, 2015, 08:08 AM

Thoughts & Opinions on this
Wholesale Beelink X2 TV Box Android 4.4 1GB + 8GB H.265 H3 Quad Core Multimedia Player WiFi Connectivity with HDMI SPDIF Micro SD Card Slot - Most Affordable (BLACK,EU PLUG) | Everbuying

$35

Looking for more than just a simple streaming box? The Beelink X2 Android 4.4 TV Box does it all, and it does it all in 4K extreme HD quality!

Running the full Android 4.4 OS, the X2 gives you the ability to run virtually any Android APP on your TV. The powerful H3 quad core processor and graphics engine provides stellar performance for high definition video playback.

Enjoy high performance HD streaming from the internet and local media to your TV with the Beelink X2 TV Box!
Features / Benefits

● KODI Home Theater Software pre-installed: Over 50 most popular Add-ons installed in your KODI.
● XBMC supported. XBMC can be used to play almost all popular audio and video formats.
● True 4K x 2K Quad Core XBMC H.265 decoding.
● High performance Quad Core cortex-A7 CPU paired with a powerful graphics processor to provide the best TV box experience.
● Features 1GB DDR3 RAM, 8GB ROM (with maximum external capacity up to 32GB).
● 2.4GHz WiFi, connect effortlessly in a world without wires.
● HDMI connectivity for the best 4K x 2K FHD multimedia experience.
● Extreme HD 4K and Full HD 1080P supported.
● Comes with a RJ45 port for 10 / 100M Ethernet which provides a strong network extension.
● Support Miracast.
● Multi-language support for multiple regions and dialects around the world.

● Operating System: Android KitKat 4.4
● CPU: Quad-core A7 up to 1.5 GHz
● GPU: Mali400MP2 GPU
● Memory: 1GB
● Internal Storage: 8GB + MicroSD card slot (up to 32GB)
● Connectivity: 2.4GHz 802.11 b/g/n WiFi, Bluetooth 4.0, 10/100 Ethernet
● Audio/Video Output: HDMI, SP-DIF
● Interfaces: 2 x USB 2.0

Unread
  (#13)
↓ dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ ↓

July 15, 2015, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkishexpress View Post
You cheating whore!

-Ryan
Unread
  (#14)
Traction Control

July 15, 2015, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8nsanta View Post

I've got a sling box that I was using last year while overseas. If you wanna buy, I sell you cheap!

KTM RC8R
KTM RC390 race
Yamaha R6 race
Honda CRF50 mini
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Tecknojoe  
Unread
  (#15)
Mommy's Little Monster

July 15, 2015, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecknojoe View Post
I've got a sling box that I was using last year while overseas. If you wanna buy, I sell you cheap!
Not a sling box, that still requires someone to have a cable subscription (old roommate had one.) Sling TV is a different streaming service that gives you live TV of some of the basic cable stations. It's built right into a number of the standard streaming boxes almost everyone has.

https://www.sling.com/

2018 BMW R1200 GS
2016 Yamaha FJ-09
2014 Honda CB500X
2007 Suzuki DRZ 400SM
2007 Suzuki GSXR 600