DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 610
1 members and 609 guests
CrazyMotorcycleGuy
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Towing with cars...questions
Unread
  (#1)
Chasing the dragon

Towing with cars...questions - April 13, 2012, 11:26 AM

I ordered a class 1 hitch for my car (11 Mitsubishi lancer GTS) to drag bikes around. At most I'm pulling two sportbikes. Can someone make recommendations on what size and stuff to look for when renting a trailer for 2 bikes and stands that will work with my setup?

Also, would a uhaul bike trailer work on a car without modification when I'm going solo dolo? I saw RFORC1 small rain gutter trailer and while dope, that's a lot of coin for it.

One last small question. How tf do you drive with a trailer?

More gas, less brake
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Typical Stripper

April 13, 2012, 11:40 AM

I have a snowmobile trailer that I tow two bikes with. Its tight, but gets the job done. I used my 2.0T GTI to tow two bikes - 200HP and 207 LBFT torque... got the job done nicely.

Nate CCS/ASRA #29 - www.nudebikesracing.com - 2012 MARRC AM Racer of the Year

Ticket2Speed, RnR Cycles, Twin Works Factory, Scorpion Helmets, Pro Speed Racing Apparel, Vortex, DC-Moto.net/Amsoil, Dunlop, Sharkskinz, DCSportbikes.net
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
turn or crash....

April 13, 2012, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by okayh View Post
I ordered a class 1 hitch for my car (11 Mitsubishi lancer GTS) to drag bikes around. At most I'm pulling two sportbikes. Can someone make recommendations on what size and stuff to look for when renting a trailer for 2 bikes and stands that will work with my setup?
pretty much any of them would work, just be concerned with the weight they are rated for. Don't know if they will have any that have two wheel chocks, if not, just pull the bikes up to the front and tie down as you would in a pickup.

Quote:
Also, would a uhaul bike trailer work on a car without modification when I'm going solo dolo?
Yes, vehicle shouldn't matter too much, as long as hitch ball is the right size. May have to set hitch so it's as even as you can.

Quote:

- djkouza
############
Bikes: I might own one...
############
djkouza - XBOX
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to djkouza  
Unread
  (#4)
Chasing the dragon

April 13, 2012, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nudist
I have a snowmobile trailer that I tow two bikes with. Its tight, but gets the job done. I used my 2.0T GTI to tow two bikes - 200HP and 207 LBFT torque... got the job done nicely.
Do you know the size of that trailer by chance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by djkouza
pretty much any of them would work, just be concerned with the weight they are rated for. Don't know if they will have any that have two wheel chocks, if not, just pull the bikes up to the front and tie down as you would in a pickup.

Yes, vehicle shouldn't matter too much, as long as hitch ball is the right size. May have to set hitch so it's as even as you can.

Even as in keep the trailer as parallel to the ground as possible? That will reduce tongue weight I assume? How would I go about that?

So what's good with that adopt a n00b, hauling edition? Google is only but so helpful

More gas, less brake
Unread
  (#5)
Track Day addict

April 13, 2012, 12:42 PM

5x8 is a good size to haul 2 bikes. Tongue weight is more about how you load the trailer. Leveling the trailer is more about the drop or rise in the hitch bar. Generally you want about 10% of the trailer's weight on the tongue.

As for driving with a trailer:

Make sure you are looking well ahead stopping distances will be longer.
Practice backing up before you have to back up somewhere tight.
Remember it is back there when changing lanes. You will need more room.

More trailering tips:
Buy good ratcheting tie down straps (or a Pitbull TRS if buying your own trailer).
I have heard good things about the new canyon dancer 2 for helping with tie down points, although I prefer to go to the triple trees myself.

Good luck and keep asking questions.

Dale - 2004 SV 650 track, 2003 R1 track, 2007 Tuono
Unread
  (#6)
Officially Addicted to Posting

April 13, 2012, 12:52 PM

I was driving down 66 about an hour ago and saw a midsize RV towing a Ford Ranger with a full dresser in the bed! It was awesome.

I'm not a leg humper... but I'm super attracted to how fucking stupid she is! - wildjester

Castle: rob, potbelly, stat. i brought the bike, wanna ride 2 up??
ClemsonJeeper: omg i'm in now!
Castle: fvck, did i just put that in the sb?
Unread
  (#7)
GP Champ

April 13, 2012, 01:01 PM

Quote:

Also, would a uhaul bike trailer work on a car without modification when I'm going solo dolo? I saw RFORC1 small rain gutter trailer and while dope, that's a lot of coin for it.

Quick question, since you have the base for my car (2010 EVO) and I have been looking into a way to either make (weld) or convert a regular lancer hitch to my evo for the same thing, would you mind if I come take a look to see if the mounting points are the same, I believe they are and the only issue is the exhaust. I will bring a 6 pack of your favorite beer if so. Thanks
Adam
Unread
  (#8)
Riz
Hallmark card?!?

April 13, 2012, 01:04 PM

Driving with a trailer isnt tooo different than without. One tip, follow the speed limits on the trailer. I personally wouldnt go above 60 on a small trailer, mayb 70 on a nice windless day. Ask me how i know. On the way back from MOTOGP 3 years ago, we were trailering 5 bikes (first time ive ever driven with a trailer lol) The trailer itself was pretty big, probably around 25ft? Everyone is passed out. Im cruising around 80MPH, when i start passing a tractor trailer on its left. All of a sudden the trailer starts swaying back and forth. Like a pendulum, it becomes more violent with each sway, to the point where the car starts swaying back and forth. EVERYONE woke up. We thought we were gonna die. I didnt know wtf to do. I let go of gas, that wasnt doing anything. I started braking and eventually it the swaying became weaker and weaker. The aftermath was my buddies gsxr1000 fell on its side. The swaying was so violent, it ripped the clipon off the handle bar

Biggest thing you want to learn is how to reverese with a trailer. You cant just reverse straight, the trailer will swing to the left or right, making it perpendicular to the car and thus effing ur ish up. What you have to do is steer the car left and right when reversing so the trailer stays straight. That was probably the hardest thing to get used to, which wasnt too bad anyways.
Unread
  (#9)
Playing in the dirt

April 13, 2012, 01:06 PM

Quote:

TSC has a 4X7 trailer with ramp tailgate on that is occasionally on sale for $399.

I have one and use it all the time behind my G35. it follows very well @75-80

KTMs and Yamahas

Last edited by jar944; April 13, 2012 at 01:08 PM..
Unread
  (#10)
AMA Superbike Champ

April 13, 2012, 01:13 PM

i have towed a VTX1800 using my 98 Avalon no problem at all.

2005 Yamaha R6 Raven
1982 Suzuki GS650L
1974 Honda CB550 (Cafe' racer Project)
1971 Honda CB450 (currently restoring to stock may be a future Cafe')
Unread
  (#11)
Chasing the dragon

April 13, 2012, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG40cal
I was driving down 66 about an hour ago and saw a midsize RV towing a Ford Ranger with a full dresser in the bed! It was awesome.
I mean if you like hauling stuff then putting a truck on yo truck so you can haul while you haul is only logical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drt_Jumper

Quick question, since you have the base for my car (2010 EVO) and I have been looking into a way to either make (weld) or convert a regular lancer hitch to my evo for the same thing, would you mind if I come take a look to see if the mounting points are the same, I believe they are and the only issue is the exhaust. I will bring a 6 pack of your favorite beer if so. Thanks
Adam
I love Evo's and would own one, but insurance doesn't love me in them. Let me fondle it for a minute and knock yourself out. PM me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jar944

TSC has a 4X7 trailer with ramp tailgate on that is occasionally on sale for $399.

I have one and use it all the time behind my G35. it follows very well @75-80
I'll be moving in a year or so and don't know if a garage will work out. Not looking to buy my own yet unless it collapses down to nothingness.

How about gear selection? Car is a 5-speed. People have said avoid overdrive gears like the plague when rolling down the highway. Comments?

Also, any recommendations on places to rent from in Charles county for a 2 bike joint? Uhaul seems cheap enough for 1.

More gas, less brake
Unread
  (#12)
I use my turn signal

April 13, 2012, 01:23 PM

Here's my buddy's car. NikMotarX is his username on here.

2005 Kawasaki ZX6R (636)
1973 Honda CB350F
1981 BMW R65
Unread
  (#13)
turn or crash....

April 13, 2012, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2blueyam View Post
Leveling the trailer is more about the drop or rise in the hitch bar. Generally you want about 10% of the trailer's weight on the tongue.
This, you can get different attachments with more/less lift. With my hitch and ball on my Santa Fe, I have it flipped UP so it adds some height, using the same on my buddies Truck we had to flip it down to get the same height. Either way yes it's best to be close to "level" as you can get, but like other said, distributing the load evenly and properly is another point.

- djkouza
############
Bikes: I might own one...
############
djkouza - XBOX
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to djkouza  
Unread
  (#14)
Typical Stripper

April 13, 2012, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Do you know the size of that trailer by chance?
Whatever size this is LOL.... I cant remember, but I can measure it. All towed with my GTI

Nate CCS/ASRA #29 - www.nudebikesracing.com - 2012 MARRC AM Racer of the Year

Ticket2Speed, RnR Cycles, Twin Works Factory, Scorpion Helmets, Pro Speed Racing Apparel, Vortex, DC-Moto.net/Amsoil, Dunlop, Sharkskinz, DCSportbikes.net

Last edited by Nudist; April 13, 2012 at 01:30 PM..
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#15)
Playing in the dirt

April 13, 2012, 03:27 PM

Quote:

How about gear selection? Car is a 5-speed. People have said avoid overdrive gears like the plague when rolling down the highway. Comments?
BS, assuming you car can pull it. Whats the hp rating of a lancer?

I drive the same (75-80 in 6th gear) w & w/o the trailer on the highway. Sure you have to downshift on bigger hills but that's to be expected.

KTMs and Yamahas