DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 548
3 members and 545 guests
davidcycle, nootherids, Slider
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Are Toyotas that much better?
Unread
  (#1)
girls just wanna have fun

Are Toyotas that much better? - April 30, 2008, 09:23 PM

OK, so i'm still looking for a used pickup. I'm leaning toward a Toyota, but open to other manufacturers (such as Ford, Dodge, Chevy).

On Kelly Blue Book, I see that a 2000 Ford F150 Xcab, private-party value, is about $4,700 or so. A 1990 Toyota SR5 Xcab private-party is $3,600.

Is Toyota really that much better? That even a 10 year difference is just $1000 difference in vehicle pricing? I'm surprised Ford has such a poor resale value. I thought they made good trucks.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Whirled  
Unread
  (#2)
Meh

April 30, 2008, 11:45 PM

No...they are not. Certainly not 1K while being 10 years older.

2000 had the modular motors and will run happily for in excess of 200K if properly maintained. My first one had over 150K and no issues when sold and the second one had 125K on it and also trouble free.

Hopefully the 2000 has the 5.4L option. Larger motor that I actually observed got better fuel economy than the smaller 4.6L didn't have to work nearly as hard.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
Don't ask me,I'm Canadian

May 1, 2008, 01:05 AM

Ford is better NOW...after 20k job cuts,10 factory closings,etc......I still love the early 90's 4Runners...I grew up in that time.....memmmmmoriiiiieeeeessss

ALL MY HEROES ARE RUSSIAN...GO CAPS!

Well you see, Norm, itís like thisÖA herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members. In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Now, as we know, excessive intake of alcohol kills brain cells. But naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine. And that, Norm, is why you always feel smarter after a few beers.-Cliff Claven

Unread
  (#4)
2001 honda 929

May 1, 2008, 05:54 AM

You should checkout nissan. I have a 2002 frontier. I paid $13000 for two years ago. It had 40,000 on it. It has the phosgate sterio system and all the upgrades. My x had a 1991 240sx that now has 300000 miles on it and still running. They are very reliable vehicles. I grew up on chevys and fords. The problem I have with them. I'm my own mechanic. They seem to design them to make them twice as hard to workon. I have a 3 tier tool box filled cause of chevy and fords. So far I have only needed my 80 cresent set to work on the nissans

MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#5)
2001 honda 929

May 1, 2008, 06:00 AM

If you are only looking at full size. I used to be a pipefitter. We used chevys and fords. We overloaded and overworked them. The fords had a better trani. The chevys had better suspensions. Be careful of the twin I beem front suspension on the ford. To aling it u have to heat and bend the metal. This takes away the tension strength losses alingment quick. Im shure they fixed that by now but I would research. but I would go with the chevy

MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#6)
What the clutch?

May 1, 2008, 06:15 AM

saw this a couple of days ago... pretty hilarious

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Lrk6vsb77xk

"Top Gear: Killing a Toyota"

eeyore got nothing on me.
Unread
  (#7)
Fair Weather Rider

May 1, 2008, 09:32 AM

Ta-Yota's are great. If your going with the later models, I'd suggest looking for the 22R engine, it's a capable 4 cyl. and cheap on gas, also almost impossible to kill.
Unread
  (#8)
Triple Secks

May 1, 2008, 09:34 AM

I'm in the same boat. Looking for a truck for around 5k. I was thinking about looking at toyota's mostly.

What's the towing capacity on them?

I believe i can see the future;
because everyday i repeat the
same routine.
Unread
  (#9)
#47 GODSPEED BAMBAM

May 1, 2008, 10:19 AM

If you guys are gonna do light towing as in a small trailer and 2 bikes get a v6. Anything more than that and you will need a v8. Since gas mileage is not a concern seeing as this will be a 2nd vechile look at Dodge also cause you can get them cheaper than chevy and ford. Try to get a long bed!

www.RnRcycles.com

Home of RNR Repsol Racing.

Missing all my fallen friends and family! If Life Was Easy Then Everyone Would Do It!
Unread
  (#10)
Triple Secks

May 1, 2008, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodge131
If you guys are gonna do light towing as in a small trailer and 2 bikes get a v6. Anything more than that and you will need a v8. Since gas mileage is not a concern seeing as this will be a 2nd vechile look at Dodge also cause you can get them cheaper than chevy and ford. Try to get a long bed!
I was hoping to find something that could pull a boat out of the water w/trailer up a small incline. ~2,5k lb boat+ trailer. Would the V6 be able to do that?

same routine.
Unread
  (#11)
#47 GODSPEED BAMBAM

May 1, 2008, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abrasive
I was hoping to find something that could pull a boat out of the water w/trailer up a small incline. ~2,5k lb boat+ trailer. Would the V6 be able to do that?
Yea a v6 could but your gonna wish you had a v8. A v8 will also get better gas milage when loaded than a v6 since it does not have to work has hard. Also the older truck have lots of aftermarket mods to do to them.

www.RnRcycles.com

Home of RNR Repsol Racing.

Missing all my fallen friends and family! If Life Was Easy Then Everyone Would Do It!
Unread
  (#12)
B
It goes to 11.

May 1, 2008, 10:29 AM

Toyota motors are renouned for thier longevity. I personally love mine, but I'd get a ford diesel too.

The ranger has nothing on the tacoma, though. Owned a ranger and explorer (aka exploder) and two tacomas and the Toyotas were worlds better.

SV650s for SALE!!!
- 2007 SV650 Racebike-Superbike KWS/Thermosman suspension/Swenz bodywork/All GSXR Parts
- 2009 SV650 Streetbike Race blue with white stripe/No wrecks/fully faired with M4 full system

Shoot me a PM or talk to Nate (Nudist) if you're interested in purchase.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to B  
Unread
  (#13)
Triple Secks

May 1, 2008, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodge131
Yea a v6 could but your gonna wish you had a v8. A v8 will also get better gas milage when loaded than a v6 since it does not have to work has hard. Also the older truck have lots of aftermarket mods to do to them.
Not too concerned about gas milage towing the boat.. The boat isnt mine. I'd have to tow it probably 3-4 miles to sandy point and back. This isnt a dealbreaker for me, since i could just borrow the boat owners SUV to tow it. I just thought it would be nice to not have to borrow the boat ANDthe suv when i wanted to go fishing.

Primary use would be using it as a spare/utility vehicle. Eventually im going to start going doing trackdays. Probably 1-2 bikes max. I would be concerned about gas mileage here tho.

I was leaning towards a tacoma. It's the only truck i've had any experience with(friend had one). I'm about 1-1.5months away from actually starting the hunting process.

same routine.
Unread
  (#14)
girls just wanna have fun

May 1, 2008, 05:44 PM

OK, so these are the 2 that I am trying to decide between:

1990 Toyota SR5 4x4 V6, Xcab, manual, 6 ft bed, 144k miles

2000 Ford F150 4 door (which is nice) Xcab, manual, 4.2L engine, 2x4, 6 ft bed, 180K

Both are about $4400.

I kinda like the toyota better but I dunno about that 10 year difference.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ford.jpg (9.3 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg toyo.jpg (67.1 KB, 9 views)
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Whirled  
Unread
  (#15)
Spike

May 1, 2008, 07:01 PM

Yes

RIP Greg Walker, I will never forget you

If everybody thought before they spoke, the silence would be deafening
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via ICQ to jtatooz Send a message via Yahoo to jtatooz Send a message via AIM to jtatooz Send a message via Skype™ to jtatooz