DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 245
2 members and 243 guests
GRN96WS6, nootherids
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Trading in your vehicle because of the cost of gas? read this
Unread
  (#1)
( * )|( * )

Trading in your vehicle because of the cost of gas? read this - May 6, 2008, 12:34 PM

I saw this article and figured I'd post it up...if anything it may make filling up at the pump a tiny bit less painful.

http://biz.yahoo.com/brn/080502/2529...pf=family-home

Also, if you haven't tried it, look into the BG44K fuel injector cleaner. I run it in my FJ once every 2 months and I've been averaging 17 city 24 highway and wasn't getting this mileage prior to using the BG product.

Chris
2008 MARRC AM Racer of the Year
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Posting Nothing Relevant

May 6, 2008, 12:46 PM

yea, nice article if you take it to the extremes like that. it can make some sense. i traded in my 2001 POS truck that needed repairs and was getting around 15mpg for a 2002 Golf w/ a warranty. i am paying $2 less a month and getting nearly double the mpg, and no longer need repairs.

The East Coast Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi
This is America I can shit where I want. FREEDOM!!!
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to eck226 Send a message via AIM to eck226  
Unread
  (#3)
( * )|( * )

May 6, 2008, 12:50 PM

I agree...it comes down to the cost factor. Moral of the article is sit down and work out the costs before making any big decisions.

Eventually, oil will come down...@#$%ing investors trying to make a buck are the ones driving up the cost. Like everything else, eventually it will peak and come down.

Chris
Unread
  (#4)
Owner & Creator

May 6, 2008, 12:53 PM

I went from driving a Expedition to driving a M3 and now I am happy lol. I spend less money on gas and get better mileage
Unread
  (#5)
#47 GODSPEED BAMBAM

May 6, 2008, 12:54 PM

This is one reason I ride the bike everyday to work. 45mpg I also save on insurance cause I have no primary vechicle!

www.RnRcycles.com

Home of RNR Repsol Racing.

Missing all my fallen friends and family! If Life Was Easy Then Everyone Would Do It!

Last edited by dodge131; May 6, 2008 at 12:57 PM..
Unread
  (#6)
Dressed for Success

May 6, 2008, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deviousR6
I agree...it comes down to the cost factor. Moral of the article is sit down and work out the costs before making any big decisions.

Eventually, oil will come down...@#$%ing investors trying to make a buck are the ones driving up the cost. Like everything else, eventually it will peak and come down.
People that don't work out the costs before making any big decisions have bigger problems.

Oil eventually coming down? I don't see that one happening.
Unread
  (#7)
GP Champ

May 6, 2008, 01:08 PM

i think i would rather pay the money to the motor corp. rather than to the pockets of oil producers.

http://www.dcsportbikes.net/photoplo...ull_finger.gif
"Ready your breakfast and eat hearty, for tonight we dine in HELL"

Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to R6speed Send a message via AIM to R6speed  
Unread
  (#8)
Eddie would go ...

May 6, 2008, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Really? There's no indication on any of the markets that would suggest that. Curious to know where you heard that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud View Post
No one gives a fuck about your puff out your chest bravado.
Unread
  (#9)
GP Champ

May 6, 2008, 01:47 PM

Quote:
If you think investors are running up the price irrationally, then you should sell short and you can make a ton of money at their expense. It's very simple.

And not everything that goes up, comes down. That's the worst saying ever. Check real estate prices 30 years ago. Check stock market 30 years ago, etc, etc.
Unread
  (#10)
( * )|( * )

May 6, 2008, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witold
If you think investors are running up the price irrationally, then you should sell short and you can make a ton of money at their expense. It's very simple.

And not everything that goes up, comes down. That's the worst saying ever. Check real estate prices 30 years ago. Check stock market 30 years ago, etc, etc.
The post was about an article that brough to light the cost of trading in a vehicle for one that is more efficient yet not taking the total costs into consideration. In other words...simply some food for thought...nothing more nothing less.

You nor I know what oil will or will not do so no argument for against either of us...anything at this point is pure speculation on both parts. I won't even waste my time discussing that topic.

As far as your assumption on investors running up the price "irrationally"...not sure where you came up with that but I don't agree nor did I mean my statement to lead to that conclusion. There's enough data to read which explains why the price of oil is where it is and with that said...there are equally a number of views on why so nobody has been able to pin point the reasons.

Guess we'll see what happens...

This is my first and last non-motorcycle thread

Chris
Unread
  (#11)
Owner & Creator

May 6, 2008, 02:09 PM

I"ll be riding my Rweezy more to work though Have you notice all the civic/crx/tercel and beaters the prices have skyrocketed lol.
Unread
  (#12)
singin sweet home alabama

May 6, 2008, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch
Really? There's no indication on any of the markets that would suggest that. Curious to know where you heard that?
Oil will eventually come back down. Price at the pump will peak around $4.00. The stable price of a barrel of oil right now should be in the neighborhood of $100-110, we are seeing $120 right now.

Supplies of gasoline are up comparatively for this time of year. Demand is relatively unchanged and growth in demand has slowed worldwide. The largest consumer, the US, has actually seen demand fall. Most refineries have actually cut capacity due to high supplies, static demand, and the high price of crude, which means very low margins for them.

The high price of crude oil right now is being driven mostly by speculators and poor monetary policy (oil is a hedge against inflation, and we currently see a weakening dollar which many think will continue to weaken).

IMO, we are in a dangerous time economically. We are right around the corner from stagflation, where inflation goes up, but the economy remains stagnant.

OPEC blames the Bush administration for economic mismanagement that has pushed the price of oil higher and has refused to increase oil output. In a manner of speaking, they refuse to be Bush's financier. So supply remains static, the dollar weakens, speculation runs rampant on rumors of recession and instability and prices skyrocket.

"No race has ever been won in the first corner, but plenty have been lost there."

Last edited by DvlsAdvc8; May 6, 2008 at 02:37 PM..
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via MSN to DvlsAdvc8  
Unread
  (#13)
Pleased to meet me

May 6, 2008, 02:12 PM

At the end of the day, there will be more bikes on the road. Good stuff.
Unread
  (#14)
( * )|( * )

May 6, 2008, 02:14 PM

http://www.wtrg.com/prices.htm (from 07 but an interesting read on how oil prices change through time...and the many many variables that contribute)

some food for thought...there was a really interesting article but I did not book mark it.

If I come across it I'll post it up.

Chris

Last edited by deviousR6; May 6, 2008 at 02:22 PM..
Unread
  (#15)
( * )|( * )

May 6, 2008, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch
We'll revisit this 6 months after the election

/end for now

Chris