DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 550
1 members and 549 guests
davidcycle
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
traffic on local roads on google maps
Unread
  (#1)
Site ADMIN

traffic on local roads on google maps - May 6, 2010, 01:55 PM

i wanted to create an App that you could participate in getting real time traffic on roads besides the highways..

Turns out, google is doing it already. The more of you that participates, the more accurate the traffic is. If your mobile device has google maps, turn it on before you start driving, and you help update traffic info.

I just happened to notice the other day that traffic is showing on roads other than 495/395/95 etc...

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2009/...n-traffic.html

Quote:

The bright side of sitting in traffic: Crowdsourcing road congestion data

8/25/2009 08:16:00 AM
This post is the latest in an ongoing series about how we harness the data we collect to improve our products and services for our users. - Ed.

What if you could do a little something to improve the world during your daily drive to work? Here are a few ideas: tell everybody in the city when you're stuck in slow-moving traffic; warn the drivers on the freeway behind you that they should consider an alternate route; tell the people still at home that they should spend another ten minutes reading the morning news before they leave for work; tell your city government that they might want to change the timing of that traffic light at the highway on-ramp. Of course, you can't just get on the phone and call everybody, and your one traffic report from your one spot on the road might not help much anyway. But if everybody on the road, all at once, could tell the world how fast their car is moving, and we could make it easy for anybody to check that information on their computer or cell phone, well — then we'd be getting somewhere.

If you use Google Maps for mobile with GPS enabled on your phone, that's exactly what you can do. When you choose to enable Google Maps with My Location, your phone sends anonymous bits of data back to Google describing how fast you're moving. When we combine your speed with the speed of other phones on the road, across thousands of phones moving around a city at any given time, we can get a pretty good picture of live traffic conditions. We continuously combine this data and send it back to you for free in the Google Maps traffic layers. It takes almost zero effort on your part — just turn on Google Maps for mobile before starting your car — and the more people that participate, the better the resulting traffic reports get for everybody.

This week we're expanding our traffic layer to cover all U.S. highways and arterials when data is available. We're able to do this thanks in no small part to the data contributed by our users. This is exactly the kind of technology that we love at Google because it's so easy for a single person to help out, but can be incredibly powerful when a lot of people use it together. Imagine if you knew the exact traffic speed on every road in the city — every intersection, backstreet and freeway on-ramp — and how that would affect the way you drive, help the environment and impact the way our government makes road planning decisions. This idea, which we geeks call "crowdsourcing," isn't new. Ever since GPS location started coming to mainstream devices, people have been thinking of ways to use it to figure out how fast the traffic is moving. But for us to really make it work, we had to solve problems of scale (because you can't get useful traffic results until you have a LOT of devices reporting their speeds) and privacy (because we don't want anybody to be able to analyze Google's traffic data to see the movement of a particular phone, even when that phone is completely anonymous).

We achieve scale by making Google Maps for mobile easy to install and use, and by making it easy for people to provide information about their own vehicle speed. There's no extra device to plug into your car and no extra software to buy. Google Maps is free and works with most cell phones, and the number of cell phones with GPS is rising every day. Some phones, such as the T-Mobile myTouch 3G and the Palm Pre, come with Google Maps and traffic crowdsourcing pre-installed (the iPhone Maps application, however, does not support traffic crowdsourcing). Google is fortunate to have a lot of people using our products, and that scale helps make our products better.

We understand that many people would be concerned about telling the world how fast their car was moving if they also had to tell the world where they were going, so we built privacy protections in from the start. We only use anonymous speed and location information to calculate traffic conditions, and only do so when you have chosen to enable location services on your phone. We use our scale to provide further privacy protection: When a lot of people are reporting data from the same area, we combine their data together to make it hard to tell one phone from another. Even though the vehicle carrying a phone is anonymous, we don't want anybody to be able to find out where that anonymous vehicle came from or where it went — so we find the start and end points of every trip and permanently delete that data so that even Google ceases to have access to it. We take the privacy concerns related to user location data seriously, and have worked hard to protect the privacy of users who share this data — but we still understand that not everybody will want to participate. If you'd like to stop your phone from sending anonymous location data back to Google, you can find opt-out instructions here.

We've already been able to provide useful traffic information with the help of our existing mobile users, but we hope that is just the start. As GPS-enabled phones and data plans get less expensive, more people will be able to participate. Crowdsourcing traffic gives us a way to harness bits of location data from our users and give it back to them in a form they can use to make impactful decisions that affect their free time, their pocketbooks and the environment. The more people use it, the better it will get. So next time you're sitting in morning traffic, turn on Google Maps for mobile and let someone else know they can hit the snooze button one more time. Tomorrow morning, they might do the same for you.

Posted by Dave Barth, Product Manager for Google Maps

This post was prepared as a service to the DCSportbikes.net community. Neither the DCSportbikes.net ADMINS nor any of the moderators, makes any warranty, expressed or implied, or assumes any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information, product, link, or process disclosed, or represents that its use would not infringe privately owned rights. Reference herein to any specific commercial products, process, or service by trade name, trademark manufacturer, or otherwise, does not necessarily constitute or imply its endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by DCSportbikes.net. The opinions of this author expressed herein do not necessarily state or reflect those of the DCSportbikes.net community, and shall not be used for advertising or product endorsement purposes.
__________________________________________________ ________

Alex
13 Honda Fury
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to spud Send a message via MSN to spud  
Unread
  (#2)
SUPERBITCHIN'

May 6, 2010, 02:00 PM

i make all the roads run red...

E che cazzo!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to {SALVA}  
Unread
  (#3)
Traction Control

May 6, 2010, 02:01 PM

I'm gonna go lane split and fuck people over

"Damnit i thought this shit was green!!"

KTM RC8R
KTM RC390 race
Yamaha R6 race
Honda CRF50 mini
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Tecknojoe  
Unread
  (#4)
Site ADMIN

May 6, 2010, 02:02 PM

whats weird is that post is dated 2009, but i just started noticing traffic on local roads recently..

This post was prepared as a service to the DCSportbikes.net community. Neither the DCSportbikes.net ADMINS nor any of the moderators, makes any warranty, expressed or implied, or assumes any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information, product, link, or process disclosed, or represents that its use would not infringe privately owned rights. Reference herein to any specific commercial products, process, or service by trade name, trademark manufacturer, or otherwise, does not necessarily constitute or imply its endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by DCSportbikes.net. The opinions of this author expressed herein do not necessarily state or reflect those of the DCSportbikes.net community, and shall not be used for advertising or product endorsement purposes.

Alex
13 Honda Fury
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to spud Send a message via MSN to spud  
Unread
  (#5)
SUPERBITCHIN'

May 6, 2010, 02:07 PM

nah Alex they've been doing it for a while, you have to zoom in though, at least on the roid dont know about the iphone

E che cazzo!
Unread
  (#6)
Site ADMIN

May 6, 2010, 02:10 PM

its news to me, and my hope is that other peeps turn on maps if they can while driving around so the traffic info is accurate... im always checking traffic on der.

Alex
13 Honda Fury
Unread
  (#7)
Retired to most ...

May 6, 2010, 02:13 PM

The nav on the droid runs off of google maps and it seems to be pretty accurate for me when I use the traffic layer on the nav. Give or take .5 mile or so either side of where it says the traffic starts and stops.

God Speed Jeff! You'll never be forgotten.

BOOSTZX3 : in all seriousness head injuries ain't no joke. I've had around 10 concussions and now I ride a Buell Don't let it happen to you!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to JohnnySpeed1KRR  
Unread
  (#8)
SUPERBITCHIN'

May 6, 2010, 02:13 PM

alex is like one of those old people that always watch the weather channel and only talk about the weather...but with traffic. "THOSE DAMN KIDS AND THEIR HORSELESS CARRIAGES CREATING ALL THE TRAFFIC!"

E che cazzo!
Unread
  (#9)
Mr. Glass

May 6, 2010, 02:14 PM

marijuana effects the memory.

06 Black 10R
http://theazzman.com
http://twitter.com/azzman
"(@)'(@)''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''(@)(@)** **** (@)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi
dressing up like a fruity gangster and going to Sterling, that is like wearing a tuxedo just to go to the bathroom.
Quote:
Buying a sportbike to go the speed limit (which you do not do in your car) is like buying a condom to look at it.

Do you buy a condom to look at it? No you buy it to fuck.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via ICQ to usman Send a message via Yahoo to usman Send a message via AIM to usman  
Unread
  (#10)
Retired to most ...

May 6, 2010, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usman View Post
marijuana effects the memory.
Alex would actually KNOW what the traffic conditions were if he would actually get out and RIDE once in a while!!

God Speed Jeff! You'll never be forgotten.

BOOSTZX3 : in all seriousness head injuries ain't no joke. I've had around 10 concussions and now I ride a Buell Don't let it happen to you!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to JohnnySpeed1KRR  
Unread
  (#11)
mac
V-Twin Junkie

May 6, 2010, 02:17 PM

That's odd . . I've been using the local traffic view in google maps on my Android phone for a while now. It's been fairly accurate with accidents, construction, and other incidents apart from stating the obvious.

BTW, not sure what kind of phone you're using, but turning off the gps on my phone has helped with my battery life . . . tip #4 here. My commute typically lasts under 5 minutes so I'm not sure how much I'll be contributing anyways.

Work to ride and ride to work.

2003 SV1000
2001 GS500E
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#12)
Site ADMIN

May 6, 2010, 02:22 PM

like i said, it apparently has been showing traffic on local roads for a while, but i just noticed it on my iphone in the past week for some reason.

Yeah i know keeping maps turned on would be a major battery drain. Ill prob just keep it plugged into the charger and then turn on maps to help when i can..

Alex
13 Honda Fury
Unread
  (#13)
Site Admin

May 6, 2010, 02:29 PM

the google maps on the Droid phones does this already.

another reason I went with the Droid.
Unread
  (#14)
Mr. Glass

May 6, 2010, 02:30 PM

iphone has been doing it too since google had the ability, just gotta enable show traffic option.

06 Black 10R
http://theazzman.com
http://twitter.com/azzman
"(@)'(@)''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''(@)(@)** **** (@)

Quote:
dressing up like a fruity gangster and going to Sterling, that is like wearing a tuxedo just to go to the bathroom.
Quote:
Buying a sportbike to go the speed limit (which you do not do in your car) is like buying a condom to look at it.

Do you buy a condom to look at it? No you buy it to fuck.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via ICQ to usman Send a message via Yahoo to usman Send a message via AIM to usman  
Unread
  (#15)
Don't ask me,I'm Canadian

May 6, 2010, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usman View Post
iphone has been doing it too since google had the ability, just gotta enable show traffic option.
Funny you bring this up.I've been doing a little experiment with this lately.It's pretty accurate.

There's always a red line starting at the Eisenhower exit to 95 North....wonder why.This exit deserves a totally new topic.

ALL MY HEROES ARE RUSSIAN...GO CAPS!

Well you see, Norm, it’s like this…A herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members. In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Now, as we know, excessive intake of alcohol kills brain cells. But naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine. And that, Norm, is why you always feel smarter after a few beers.-Cliff Claven