DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 525
0 members and 525 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Trailer Property Tax
Unread
  (#1)
Owner & Creator

Trailer Property Tax - February 15, 2011, 08:15 AM

Do you have to pay property tax on a trailer that has permanent tags??
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Owner & Creator

February 15, 2011, 08:19 AM

• Boats, boat motors, trailers, mobile homes, and airplanes that are parked, docked or normally kept in the County as of January 1 each year must be declared on County tax forms. The filing deadline is May 1.
  • With the exception of mobile homes, taxes on these properties are not prorated. This means that the property is taxed for the full year if it has situs in the County on January 1 of the tax year. Situs is the normal location where the property is parked or from which the property is operated. Merely moving the property to another location on January 1 with the intent to return to the County does not change the property's taxable situs.
  • Mobile homes are prorated on a quarterly basis if they are moved into the County after January 1. A property tax return on mobile homes must be filed within 60 days of the date the mobile home attains situs. The tax on mobile homes is not prorated when the owner sells or moves the home out of the County.
  • Valuation is as of January 1 of the tax year. For property other than mobile homes, valuation is based on a depreciating percentage of original cost from 60% to 20%. Mobile homes are valued at market value based on sales data and may be supplemented by valuation from a recognized pricing guide.
  • The tax rate for personal property in Fairfax County is $4.57 for each $100 of assessed value. However, mobile homes are taxed at the real property tax rate of $1.09 for each $100 of assessed value. Airplanes and boats are taxed at $0.01 for each $100 of assessed value.
Tax bills are mailed during the late summer and are due on Oct. 5 of each year. Only properties that generate a tax bill over $5 are due and payable. Below that amount, tax bills are not generated.
Unread
  (#3)
Licensed Rider

February 15, 2011, 08:44 AM

I park mine in Prince william county. There is NO personal property tax on RV's/Trailers in that county.
Unread
  (#4)
All weather rider

February 15, 2011, 12:24 PM

In Fairfax, 70% of the local personal property tax is paid by the state (or rather, by money already paid to the state by taxpayers) (the "Personal Property Tax Relief Act of 1998"), and the taxpayer pays the remaining 30% directly to the County. I haven't received a bill for my 1977 Holsclaw dirt bike trailer in the 13 years that I have owned it because it is valued so low that 30% of 4.57% of its value is under $5. A loophole: Cars and motorcycles registered as "antique" vehicles are not taxed. For those, you don't pay a yearly registration, or need to have them inspected, either.
Unread
  (#5)
Licensed Rider

February 15, 2011, 01:29 PM

I have not paid any tax on my enclosed trailer in 3 years of ownership. It is registered and I have permanent tags on it.

Eric
Unread
  (#6)
AMA Superbike Champ

February 15, 2011, 04:33 PM

I just registered a trailer with permanent tags a couple of weeks ago. The Loudoun County personal property tax verification forms arrived within days.

05 CBR600RR